PDA

View Full Version : Purchase direct from Hasbro

WesleySr
04-20-2005, 11:40 AM
I posted this in the CIII Q&A for Hasbro thread, but I decided to start a new thread about it.

How many of you would be interested in purchasing figures straight from Hasbro?

And what I thought of is a really good idead, I think. How many of you that collect to open would be interested in purchasing your figures from Hasbro packaged in little baggies? I know alot of the army builders would be. Especially if Hasbro was able to sell them for about $4 a figure. They would be saving alot on packaging, so why not pass on some of the savings to us.

They would be able to help out alot of us, escpecially those who army build, and save us from going to the stores constantly trying to find new figures as they are released. Also, this would prevent shortages on the army builders in the stores and would give the opportunity for others who do not have the ability to purchase online the chance to get these figures in store.

Let me know what you all think.

outwest
04-20-2005, 12:34 PM
at the 4$ price point i would buy direct in a second!

thing is i'll be able to get these figs cheaper than that when they finally go on clearance in a few months.

ronhudy
04-20-2005, 01:13 PM
It's a good idea, but why sell smaller volume to more customers? (i.e. more orders, more processing, more man-hours) Why not just continue to sell huge volume to retailers? From a business standpoint, it wouldn't make sense for Hasbro to do it.

JON9000
04-20-2005, 01:20 PM
It's a good idea, but why sell smaller volume to more customers? (i.e. more orders, more processing, more man-hours) Why not just continue to sell huge volume to retailers? From a business standpoint, it wouldn't make sense for Hasbro to do it.
Not to mention that it would totally p.o. their retail partners.

megaprime33
04-20-2005, 02:05 PM
The only thing I can see them doing is selling exclusives in little baggies and/or selling certain figures, like the clone troopers, in bulk, like $50 for 20 figures. I think it would be too much of a hassle to sell an entire line of figures that way.

rust
04-20-2005, 03:22 PM
I'd be up for buying figs in little baggies.

dindae
04-20-2005, 03:34 PM
I think that eventually this is were more collectables are going to go. Unfortunately I doubt you would see the price drop any if at all. Plus you will have to in shipping. Now something I do think they can do is do more high end stuff through direct purchase or even online stores like EE. It is the only way we will ever get things like Jabba's Sail Barge or a retooled Millenium Falcon. I think that the exclusives that EE/previews have done so far have gone over well and hopefully will show them that there is a market for things other than retail. The biggest problem with retail is shelf space not cost. Wal-mart has no cash flow problems but if that know that item takes x amount of shelf space there is an expectation that it will generate so much profit per square inch so often the bigger sets don't sell fast enough to make that happen. Of course that is a catch 22 because Hasbro has tons of pressure to keep the price cheap and that translates to cheaper products. Online stores can work out of a wharehouse so they are worried about the space but they are small and can't take a big hit from a dud exclusive. And since Hasbro needs to make 30,000 plus to even make something affordable most companies can't afford that kind of investment even if it is something they would like to carry on a smaller scale. Ultimately I think it needs to happen though. It will tick of the retail chains and there will be a backlash but eventually the retail stores will carry what they are carrying now because impulse buys is a big portion of toy sales. How many times have heard parent/told your child "You can pick out one toy today". If it's not in the store its not getting bought. One cool thing if they do get that started is unlimited life for strong figures. If the SA clonetrooper is still selling like hot cakes then run another batch and throw them on the web. If you are going direct you don't need to worry about waves. If a figure goes cold sell the stock and take it off. So to sum up my stream of consciousness writing it would be good to see but I doubt we will anytime soon because retail has toy companys by the balls.

beckmen
04-20-2005, 03:52 PM
I'd love it, but it won't happen. Oh, well.

potf2x
04-20-2005, 03:58 PM
Won't happen. Hasbro would be cutting their own throats by bypassing their retail partners. Afterall it's the retailers that keep Hasbro in buisness.

Joshkj
04-20-2005, 05:00 PM
The only thing I can see them doing is selling exclusives in little baggies and/or selling certain figures, like the clone troopers, in bulk, like $50 for 20 figures. I think it would be too much of a hassle to sell an entire line of figures that way.

They should honestly do an army building exclusive for them:
$50 20 SA clones
$25 5 Clone commanders
$15 3 Pilots
$18 4 AT-TE tank gunners
$18 4 turbo tank drivers

If I had some controled some of hasbro I would do this and hasbro would make mass bank if they did this.

AmanaMatt
04-20-2005, 05:23 PM
I would love it, too, but it'll happen only when Walmart falls, which is never. Hasbro has commented on this over the years. Their answer: they make the toys and leave the selling up to retail stores.

ronhudy
04-20-2005, 05:41 PM
I would love it, too, but it'll happen only when Walmart falls, which is never. Hasbro has commented on this over the years. Their answer: they make the toys and leave the selling up to retail stores.

Exactly. They're a business for profit. Not that they don't care about collectors per se...but if that was that much of a concern, all the exclusives, fan choice figures, etc., would have already been available through them directly instead of a retailer.

greengoblin3825
04-20-2005, 06:01 PM
let me start off by saying that it is a great idea. However this has researched multiple time but it take a 5000 dollar running deposit and you don't get to pick the case assortments

darko666
04-20-2005, 06:09 PM
def. a great idea. but like others have said, hasbro depends on the profit it gets from selling the packaged figures in stores. they focus more on the general public than the avid collector. but the way most collectors collect, i could see them making some money out of selling figures in mail-away bags.
but sadly, it will never happen.

wedge1968
04-20-2005, 07:43 PM
How is this any different that what they announced they are doing with G.I. Joe today? Wasn't that the big news of the day: that Hasbro will be directly selling G.I. Joe from a new website. I think Star Wars is going to be in on that deal.

greengoblin3825
04-20-2005, 08:37 PM
I must have missed that part

JediTricks
04-20-2005, 09:50 PM
How is this any different that what they announced they are doing with G.I. Joe today? Wasn't that the big news of the day: that Hasbro will be directly selling G.I. Joe from a new website. I think Star Wars is going to be in on that deal.
I hadn't heard that about Joe, but the difference is that the Star Wars license didn't allow Hasbro to do direct sales. That may be changing, we'll soon see.

darko666
04-21-2005, 12:15 AM
according to SSG Hasbro will be creating a new online shop for Star Wars products. i for one, am pleased to hear about this.
I will try to hear an announcment for this at C III at the Hasbro booth, and i plan on taking plenty of pics of future products. i want to see that Holo Leia.

Kidhuman
04-21-2005, 01:29 AM
Well,if that shop pans out, trhey will do alot of business. I for one would love to get figurres direct. That would be the ultimate one of every figure club.

ronhudy
04-21-2005, 10:43 AM
Well now...looking at this morning's update with the "HasbroToyShop.com" announcment at CIII, it looks like some of us may have put our foot in our mouths with our earlier posts! :nerv:

It'll be interesting to see just how it will work...

beckmen
04-21-2005, 03:30 PM
Now all that remains to be seen is the price.

I REALLY hope they do right by us, and not have 7.99 or higher price tags, along with limited selection (like not having 32+) or any of that crap! I am not holding my breath, though...

AmanaMatt
04-21-2005, 04:30 PM
Well now...looking at this morning's update with the "HasbroToyShop.com" announcment at CIII, it looks like some of us may have put our foot in our mouths with our earlier posts! :nerv:

It'll be interesting to see just how it will work...

Who would have thunk?!?

Anyway, if the prices are reasonable, and figs are actually available, it'll be great. If this is the Official Star Wars shop Part II, they're done! I hope this is the start of something awsome.

master J
04-21-2005, 06:14 PM
Does this mean they can finally start selling larger vehicles and playsets! No more excuses about Walmart and Toysrus not wanting the large vehicles clogging up the shelves, they can sell them directly to us now.

DarthBrandon
04-21-2005, 06:22 PM
Does this mean they can finally start selling larger vehicles and playsets! No more excuses about Walmart and Toysrus not wanting the large vehicles clogging up the shelves, they can sell them directly to us now.

DEAR GOD! I HOPE NOT, I'LL BE BROKE. :D

beckmen
04-21-2005, 11:24 PM
Would it be worth it to produce such items in such small quantities? Stores sell a lot of merch to casual fans and kids and whatnot, but an official Hasbro site will probably only get the business of us collectors who actually LOOK for this stuff and not just pick it up at random...

dindae
04-24-2005, 08:31 PM
I was thrilled when I heard them announce this at CIII. I instantly thought of this thread and tried to think of any questions you guys might have some I had to go back and ask. Most things have been posted on the front page so I won't repeat those. The one thing that I asked is that is a figure sells well they will continue to carry it until it doesn't. So don't worry about short packed army builders anymore. The other things is the price is the suggested retail price of $5.99 so while wal-mart will still be cheaper most online store will be scrounging to make ends meet *cough* Kebco *cough*. So now the only stress should be getting exclusives.

Kidhuman
04-24-2005, 11:58 PM
5.99 isnt a bad price considering the gas saved. BUt when you figure in shipping, it might be a tad too much. We shall see.

Slicker
04-25-2005, 01:27 AM
This could be quite advantageous especially for those of us that want an AT-TE. If they don't have to find a retailer and they can sell it straight though site and make 'em as they're ordered.

beckmen
04-25-2005, 04:51 PM
5.99 would be fine by me. I'd just buy in sets instead of getting it figure-by-figure. Buy like 5-10 figs at a time to save on shipping, that's all.

But just you wait, I can feel it. 7.95 for basic figs, 14.95 for Deluxe, 29.95 for vehicles...It's going to be brutal...

dindae
04-25-2005, 06:10 PM
Well I figure with gas the way it is shipping would be equal 2-3 gallons for a wave then think how many gallons you spend looking. To me if their is no sales tax then it will be great if there is they can be a crutch for when I get tired of looking for that one or two figures.

WesleySr
04-26-2005, 11:40 AM
Well, I was SHOCKED when the lady at the Hasbro booth told me about this. I asked her about the price point and she said that they would be sold for retail price. I thought that sounded pretty good, $5.99 a figure. Today I just checked the Hasbro website and all of the figures have a $6.99 suggested retail price. So, I figure that they will be $6.99 plus shipping.

dindae
04-26-2005, 12:34 PM
Well that definately knocks it out as a main way to get figures. I will probably only use it occasionally then.

Tycho
04-26-2005, 12:37 PM
This was probably the biggest and best news from Hasbro at the entire convention.

I was sitting right next to Steve and Adam Pawlus was a row in front of us, as was Mike from GH, and I'm sure RS was also in the room. Yeah - I think Mark was for sure.

Do you know what this means? I can order unlimited amounts of MOUSE DROIDS from Hasbro directly! :crazed:

[Administrator Edit: Warning! Warning! DANGER! Warning! Warning!

All remaining sane members are urged to evacuate this thread immediately!]

But seriously, "I'll take 19 Clone Troopers, 6 Death Star Troopers, 5 TIE Pilots"

Hasbro: "OK. Your total comes out to....... We will charge it to your account."

Tycho: "Yahoo! Army builders galore! (right JediMasterSal?) ;) "

Hasbro said they will see how the online store goes, and then decide about keeping army builders in production so long as they are generating orders from us.

Hasbro (one day) might say: "We will be temporarily out of Mouse Droids while we ship a large order of 9,000 of them to the Western United States. Please check back shortly after our large customer is serviced."

Pascalero Mental Institution: "and doctor, also keep Tycho off the internet, please."

decadentdave
04-26-2005, 01:16 PM
Give me 500 SA Clonetroopers.. and a glazed doughnut... TO GO!!!

CaptainSolo1138
04-26-2005, 01:34 PM
HA! David Lee Roth references never go out of style!!

beckmen
04-26-2005, 04:06 PM
I'll take...

10 AT-TE Gunners
15 Clone Commanders
15 Commander Bacaras
30 SA Clone Troopers
20 Clone Pilots
4 Gunships
6 ARC-170s
1 Obi-Wan Jedi Starfighter
2 Anakin Jedi Starfighters
2 Anakin Target Exclusive Jedi Starfighters
2 Obi-Wan Target Exclusive Jedi Starfighters
2 That One Guy's Jedi Starfighters

Oh, God I need to stop....

dindae
04-26-2005, 04:08 PM
With all the band figures why has no one done a Diamond Dave in Eat 'em and Smile Zulu garb yet?