PDA

View Full Version : Bootleg Star Wars toys

Exhaust Port
04-20-2005, 01:13 PM
This guy has a website that has tons of pictures of bootleg toys including a SW section.

http://www.bootlegactionfigures.com/starwarsbootlegs.htm

There are some really interesting rip off SW toys in there. Honestly, even though some of them are easily identifiable as bootlegs I would probably pick them up if I saw them in a store. Some of the attempts to create DV or a Stormtrooper are hysterical and would make great shelf filler. :D

Some of the items in his collection might actually be legit SW stuff though. I believe the following are real...

http://www.bootlegactionfigures.com/starwarsheads.htm

I have(had) the Queen and Anakin heads but am unable to find them now to verify that they are in fact the same. These heads came inside a semi-clear bar of soap and would be freed once you used the soap. He doesn't really say where he bought them other than they were loose. If he bought them at a flee market or something that would explain why they were loose since the previous owner probably used the soap to get the heads out.

To be fair, he does question whether or not they are real at the end of the page.

About the soap though, these has to be one of the dumbest ideas. Using the soap is fine until the small HARD plastic head starts to poke through. Next thing you know your scrapping the crap out of your skin as you rub yourself down with the bar. Ouch! I learned that the hard way. :eek:

kool-aid killer
04-20-2005, 02:33 PM
A lot of those bootlegs look like toys i would find strolling around Mexican "shops," lots of people setting up tents within a couple of blocks once a week to sell rugs, clothes, toys, dinnerware etc. Bad paint jobs and lousy poses all around. Interesting website.

Slicker
04-20-2005, 02:38 PM
For some reason the bootlegs that I always wanted to find but never did were the Galaxy Empire ones. I don't know why but there cheesiness just drew me in. I myself have never seen a bootleg in real life and this is actually an interesting area of collecting.

bobafrett
04-20-2005, 02:51 PM
I own a set of the "Super Deformed" figures. I won them on eBay, don't ask what got me to buy them. I also have some bootleg Kubricks. I have Boba, and a speeder bike pilot, but those I didn't know at the time were so. I got them, and I thought, "how cheap, I'll never buy these again. Luckily, i found out the were knock-offs.

General_Grievous
04-20-2005, 03:48 PM
I've seen a bootleg figure that wasn't on that list. It was a Boba Fett figure painted in silver called "Suckrealm 5000". Suckrealm, indeed...

Bobby Fett
04-20-2005, 04:00 PM
I have the TIE Fighter Pilot from this series:

http://www.bootlegactionfigures.com/sote.htm

The figure itself is poorly made and poorly painted. The card looks fairly decent. The cardback is marked "Made in China" (but who knows?) and has pictures of various items from the POTF2/SOTE lines.

I got it from a chap in England, who claimed it was legit. Of course, you can tell from the photos it isn't, but I thought it would be a neat addition to my collection.