PDA

View Full Version : Top 3 worst lead vocalists in a rock band?

Hellboy
04-20-2005, 05:28 PM
Just like the title says, who do you feel are the top 3 worst lead vocalists ever in a rock band and why?

Here are my choices.

3. Paul Stanley: KISS -KISS always felt more like a stage show/gimmick than a band to me and Stanley's vocals are so off key at times it almost seems like a joke. I've often wondered if his position as the bands frontman was obtained by default considering the other band members vocal talents, or lack there of.

2. Fred Durst: Limp Bizkit -While the band actually has had some talent, namely the departed Wes Borland, ole' Fred Durst's vocals are some of the most annoying and whiny I've heard in recent memory. His off the mike antics don't help his already overexposed and overrated image either.

1. Scott Stapp: Creed -This Eddie Vedder wannabe is not only a terrible lead vocalist but a pompous arse to boot making it all the easier to hate the guy. Creed as a band comes off as hypocritically preachy and are too damn serious for their own good.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-20-2005, 05:49 PM
You stole Fred Durst and Stapp from my list, so i'm just going to give you two:

Billy Corgan- as much as I ADORE the Smashing Pumpkins, Zwan and am eagerly awaiting his solo disc and tour thsi summer, his voice has always been one that can go from hypnotic to nasally and horrid. Some Pumpkins tracks he gets too nasally and i just want to scream. He's a lyrical genius though and everytime i saw him live he sounded excellent.

Bob dylan- "Bawwwwb"'s voice has gotten generally worse over the years, but once again, if you enjoy the man and his stuff, you don't really notice it. His older stuff seems a bit easier to digest, but some of his other stuff is impossible to get into. My brother saw him a few weeks abck in Chicago and said it was his last show for a while as "I just can't figure out what he's saying these days!" :D

El Chuxter
04-20-2005, 06:38 PM
I know I'll get flak for this, but I have to say Geddy Lee. I love listening to Rush when I don't have to hear him. I know I can't sing as well, but the guy gives me a splitting headache.

Ditto on the loser from the Darkness. Except while I'm willing to admit there's talent in Geddy, that guy doesn't get so much credit. (Heck, I don't even know the guy's name, nor do I care. I could probably stomach the rest of the band, but his vocals make me want to take a dump.)

Third, uh, I'm trying to come up with someone sufficiently bad. There's that dude who preceded Mike Patton on the first two (counting the indy releases) Faith No More albums. It's not his fault, but in hindsight he sounds like a poor man's Mike Patton.

I don't know why people always bash Creed! Sure, their new stuff sucks, but remember when they put out Ten? Or Vs? Or Vitology? Man, that old stuff rocks!! :crazed:

2-1B
04-20-2005, 11:41 PM
I can't rank 3 off the top of my head but Durst is up there and so is B. Corgan because they both suck. I can't think of a more annoying voice than Billy Corgan's he's even worse than Durst. I'll take Freddy's shouting over Corgan's whining anyday.

Can I say Dave Matthews as my 3rd choice ? I don't like his voice either. lol

Hellboy I am a fan of Kiss and I love Paul Stanley. Definitely not the greatest singer but in my opinion he can really knock out some songs and I love them. :D

Chux, the FNM singer before Patton was named Chuck . . . Somebody . . . can't recall his last name but I think he might have a few tracks on that "best of" double album ? You know, the one called "Who Cares Alot?" there should be at least one track of his, specifically "We Care Alot"

I used to have one of their CDs with his vox but I sold it off years ago. :D

Exhaust Port
04-21-2005, 08:45 AM
2. Fred Durst: Limp Bizkit

1. Scott Stapp: Creed

When I read the thread title I immediately thought of these 2 names, in this order. :D I'll have to think about my 3rd choice though.

mabudonicus
04-21-2005, 09:21 AM
Well, I agre with most of the list so far (tho I disagree on geddy and Paul Stanley- Geddy has a great voice that's hard to listen to, and Paul Stanley, well, he's singing KISS tunes, simple 3 chord rockers for the most part, and the lisp is the only real shortcoming that I could honsetly call him on, cos he's limited but he sticks to his range at least, unlike Peter Criss)

Gotta add Rob Zombie I mean, come on, the guy's "music" sucks bad enough, all the same computer-generated rhythms with campled crappy guitar "hits", no real "music" so to speak, and then Rob himself with his 2-tone vocals, truly awful, doesn't even have any sort of tonal quality or nothing (which in a way, I guess is an okay thing, I can't imagine how bad his actual singing voice would be, he's prolly tone-daef at least)

And another Has-Been Marilyn Manson ALSO not even a singer, despite filling that role in his band, no vocal talent whatsoever, he is like a rapper who doesn't even rap or something, he stinks on ice (that being said, when is the next "media appearance" for that dude?? or has he made enough money that he no longer bothers pretending to be "weird"??)

And I dunno his name but that idiot from Our Lady Peace, one STUPID gimmick and the rest is a sort of strained nasal whining all in weird pseudo-minor keys and invariably a half-step or so off of what I can only guess is what was intended when the songs were "built"

And that Nickleback guy sucks out loud too, but you can't even tell how bad given that all of their garbage is heavily compressed after having been run through one of them "Tru-Tone" things

Exhaust Port
04-21-2005, 09:56 AM
Thanks mabudon, that completes my list:

Chad Kroeger - Nickelback I hit my breaking point when that damn Spiderman song was being played everywhere. Ugh.

Another reason they suck...

http://digg.com/music/Physical_Proof_Why_Nickelback_is_LAME

I can't post the actual link because the forum software edits a word out of the address. Go to the above website and click the link there.

I always thought those 2 songs sounded a lot alike. :D

El Chuxter
04-21-2005, 12:13 PM
Chux, the FNM singer before Patton was named Chuck . . . Somebody . . . can't recall his last name but I think he might have a few tracks on that "best of" double album ? You know, the one called "Who Cares Alot?" there should be at least one track of his, specifically "We Care Alot"

I used to have one of their CDs with his vox but I sold it off years ago. :D

I knew it was Chuck something. But I can't believe you sold the only album he did. You got rid of "Anne's Song"? What's wrong with you? :mad::crazed:

Hellboy
04-21-2005, 04:19 PM
I knew it was Chuck something. But I can't believe you sold the only album he did. You got rid of "Anne's Song"? What's wrong with you? :mad::crazed:

Chuck Mosely was his name IIRC, and yeah Mike Patton was much better. Angel Dust was my favorite album of theirs.

I'm actually not surprised to see Geddy Lee's name pop up but being a Rush fan I have to disagree that he isn't a good vocalist. I'll admit his voice isn't for everyone but you've got to give him points for at least having a unique style.

Caesar, thats cool, I figured somebody would dispute my nominated him. :D At least I didn't say Steven Tyler. :nerv:

I have to agree with EP about Chad Kroeger from Nickelback, terrible. :p

Exhaust Port
04-21-2005, 04:45 PM
Angel Dust is one of my favorite albums, there are so many great tracks on there. I never really though that Faith No More got the attention they deserved, at least for other than Epic.

As a Rush fan as well, I can agree about Geddy Lee, either you like it or you don't. I find the same thing with Yes (I don't know the lead singers name).

2-1B
04-22-2005, 01:33 AM
Angel Dust is a GREAT record and I am especially fond of the song RV "Yeahhh I sweat alot." :D
Underrated is the King for a Day, Fool for a Lifetime album (recorded after Jim Martin left the band).

I thought of saying Marilyn Manson as well because he has bothered me since the first time I heard him/her. :crazed:

The Nickelback guy is not very good either and I personally don't care for Geddy Lee's voice but I don't dislike him as I do these other fellers. lol

Exhaust Port
04-22-2005, 08:43 AM
The only song I can't stand is RV. :D I reallyl like "Be Aggressive" with the kids singing especially at the end. GO, FIGHT, GO, FIGHT, GO, FIGHT, WINNNNNNNNNN.

El Chuxter
04-22-2005, 12:08 PM
"Just A Man" from KFAD,FFAL is the first song that comes to my mind whenever the discussion turns to "What song should have been released as a single and would've been a big hit, but for some reason wasn't?"

With respect to Geddy, I agree he's talented, but I can't stand to listen to him. He gives me a splitting headache. But I'd totally blocked Marilyn Manson out of my memory and someone resurrected the suppressed memories. So he easily displaces Mr Lee.

Mandalorian Candidat
04-25-2005, 09:36 AM
You stole Fred Durst and Stapp from my list...

Ha ha. I was thinking of those two dudes also. Truly craptacular. I'd add the lead "singer" of Korn, and the guy from Counting Crows. He sounds like he's about to cry at the drop of a hat...plus those wannabe dreds are friggin ridiculous.

JON9000
04-25-2005, 06:42 PM
The dude from Grim Reaper. "Stop- in the name of all that which does not suck!"

The Counting Crows dude. I don't care if he was getting with J. Aniston when everybody loved her, I cannot abide vocalists who whine as they sing. Oh, look, Mandy C. beat me to it.

David Lee Rothstein. I know he was a great front man, but he never was much of a singer.

DarthBrandon
04-25-2005, 07:17 PM
1. Lead singer Our Lady Peace (R.M.)

2. Lead singer of Rush (G.L.)

3. Lead singer of G & R (A.R.)

Worst lead singer in general (Brittney Spears)

Exhaust Port
04-26-2005, 09:46 AM
The dude from Grim Reaper. "Stop- in the name of all that which does not suck!"

Oh man, that guys hysterical to watch. I remember Beavis and Butthead used a few of their videos and specifically made fun of the lead singer. :D

mabudonicus
04-26-2005, 06:36 PM
wanna keep the Grim Reaper bashing down to a dull roar, fellows :D ????
Someone stole my GR collection a few years back and I'm still getting over it.....

PS that guy was so over-the-top it is insane... I believe his name is Steve Grimmett (and he'll make you an offer you cannot refuse, little Reaper quotation for the fanz :beard: )

2-1B
04-27-2005, 01:13 AM
The Counting Crows dude. I don't care if he was getting with J. Aniston when everybody loved her,

It was Courtney Cox. :D I totally agree though, I don't like that guy's singing AT ALL. :crazed:

---------------

Oh man ExPort, I can't believe you don't like RV ! ! ! :crazed:

"I hate you
Talkin' to myself
Everybody's starin' at me
I'm only bleedin'"

:D :D :D

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
05-05-2005, 11:21 AM
It's not that Geddy Lee of Rush can't sing, it's that his voice is very high pitched. In fact a good friend of mine thought for the longest time that Lee was a girl because of his shrill voice.

My vote for worst vocalist goes to the gawd awful P. Diddy. Although he isn't technically a lead singer of a band, just listening him butcher the Police's "Every Breath You Take" and Matthew Wilder's "Break My Stride" makes you wonder how this guy became famous in the first place.

Mandalorian Candidat
05-05-2005, 12:55 PM
My vote for worst vocalist goes to the gawd awful P. Diddy. Although he isn't technically a lead singer of a band, just listening him butcher the Police's "Every Breath You Take" and Matthew Wilder's "Break My Stride" makes you wonder how this guy became famous in the first place.

You know what P. Diddy would say to that? Don't hate the playa, hate the game. :D

I think most pop stars (and P Didhedoit is a pop star, not a hip-hop singer) really do suck. Some can actually sing well like Jessica Simpson (IMO) but it's just an image thing to suck max. dollars from the vapid teen/20-something chick market. You'd think the record producers are shelling out big to vocal coaches, fashion coordinators, and makeup designers to make the image good, but P Diddy has found a loophole out of that one, from hearing his voice. Anyone hear that bootleg tape of Enrique Iglesias sing like a cat in heat?

El Chuxter
05-05-2005, 01:59 PM
You know what P. Diddy would say to that? Don't hate the playa, hate the game. :D

No, P Diddy (or whatever he's calling himself this week) would respond with "Uh huh, yeah."

Bossk77
06-01-2005, 08:18 PM
I will only list two. THey are so bad you just dont need a third...

The vocalist from Flatbush... screaming english/cambodian with a hat to match.. couldnt make out a single word live.

The vocalist from Cradle of Filth..... the music is good but the guy sings like a dying bird with somthing stuck in his throat other than my boot. Worst of all he thinks he is cool.

Monstermile
06-01-2005, 08:43 PM
Udo Dirkschneider and Axl Rose. Great bands with lousy vocalists.