PDA

View Full Version : Where did the Y-Wings come from?

El Chuxter
04-21-2005, 03:09 PM
Okay, here's a good question for you: Where did the Y-Wings in the Rebel fleet originate, and why are they in such lousy shape?

These things are supposed to be relics. They're cobbled together, and I don't believe a single one still has the entire covering (the uneven shaping is caused by components being open to the air, or vaccuum, as the case may be).

The X-Wings are much newer, likely designed by Incom to combine the strengths of the Z-95 Headhunter (which I'm still mad isn't in ROTS) and the ARC-170. The A-Wing is based on an earlier prototype and not in real production until around the time of ROTJ. The B-Wing, likewise, doesn't appear until ROTJ after its designer, Ackbar, defects to the Alliance.

The Rebels take what ships they can get, and it's been said in many sources that the Y-Wings are several years old. They're incredibly slow and clumsy (as anyone whose had to deal with them in any of the Rogue Squadron games can attest), but as heavy precision bombers, they're unmatched in the fleet.

Since the Republic had known centuries of peace prior to TPM, how did these things end up in the crappy shape they're in, while the X-Wings (which have seen more action) have only a few carbon scoring marks to show?

And if they were in wide use during the Clone Wars, why don't we get to see any in ROTS?

CaptainSolo1138
04-21-2005, 06:18 PM
That's a good point. Perhaps they belonged to a different military before the Alliance got their paws on them. Or maybe they see alot of work between Episode 3 and Episode 4. Or maybe Uncle George forgot about this.

Ji'dai
04-21-2005, 07:56 PM
I think the Y-Wing was introduced after the Clone Wars, and probably came into use by the Alliance when the peoples who used them joined. As a bomber, it probably takes a helluva beating from anti-aircraft fire when making bombing runs. Bombers may not look pretty, especially after a bombing run, but they are heavily armored usually very durable. Although not very successful in the Battle of Yavin, the fighter is used again anyway against the second Death Star at the Battle of Endor. The Alliance must've thrown everything they had against the Emperor, including the Y-Wing, regardless of it's prior failure against the first Death Star.

Is the ARC-170 a predecessor to the Alliance X-Wing? I think it's strange that the Clone Wars-era Army of the Republic would use ship designs that are reminiscent of ones later seen in the Rebel Alliance. For the sake of continuity, I think it would be better had Palpatine's Republic forces only used ships that were wedge-shaped or had the early TIE-paneled wing designs. If Palpatine's Republic is using ARC-170s, a predecessor to the X-Wing, why isn't Palpatine's Imperial Navy still using that design to some extent? Why is that design now primarily seen only in the Alliance?

To me, the X-Wing is a much later design and was brought to the Alliance by Incom designers who defected when the company was appropriated by the Empire. The design and prototypes never fell into Imperial hands as a result. The X-Wing is based on the older Z-95 Headhunter, but I like to think that ship was introduced after the Clone Wars too.

From what I've read, the Headhunter was primarily designed for suborbital flight (within a planetary atmosphere) and is not intended to be a space fighter. Since the Z-95 was originally intended for planetary atmospheric patrol, the Empire may not have been interested in it, having wanted ships that could perform in both space and atmosphere. But the X-Wing, being both aerodynamic and a space fighter, would have been a nice addition to the Imperial arsenal.

eshulmire
04-22-2005, 01:57 AM
well everything in the first three movies looks to be made by the the republic/empire so maybe the y wing comes later on.

Darth Jax
04-23-2005, 05:54 PM
i'd wondered why there wasn't a predecessor or even Y-wings appearing in the prequels as well.

the empire doesn't want to use the X-wing because of it's hyperspace abilities. by using TIE fighters which have to be transported on a carrier ship it makes for less defections by pilots.

Ji'dai
04-23-2005, 06:49 PM
i'd wondered why there wasn't a predecessor or even Y-wings appearing in the prequels as well.

the empire doesn't want to use the X-wing because of it's hyperspace abilities. by using TIE fighters which have to be transported on a carrier ship it makes for less defections by pilots.

The TIE Fighter's lack of a hyperdrive and a host of other "standard" systems (like shields), increases the fighter's speed and offers greater manueverability. I don't think the Empire really cares about pilot/ship losses so long as the battle is won. The Alliance values pilot/ship safety more highly since they have a numerical disadvantage when compared to the Empire.

According to EU sources the Alliance is filled with Imperial defectors, but I don't think turnover is a huge problem among Imperial ranks. Serving in the Imperial Navy might bring a sense of pride for many even if the military tactics are heavy-handed. Military service is also a way to escape living on a backwater world with poor career prospects.

Slicker
04-24-2005, 01:06 PM
That's a good point. Perhaps they belonged to a different military before the Alliance got their paws on them. Or maybe they see alot of work between Episode 3 and Episode 4. Or maybe Uncle George forgot about this.I thought the same thing. They may have been brought to the Alliance by a faction that was formally Imperial but got fed up with the heavy handed tactics and defected en masse with all of the ships.

MaquisWarrior
04-26-2005, 03:37 AM
THE STORE SILLY:crazed:

MaquisWarrior
04-26-2005, 03:48 AM
The Y-Wings like the Snowspeeders, Headhunters, etc. are from different planets who probably decided that it was cheaper for the Empire if the individual planet had its own militaries "loyal" to the Emperor and did not want to lose their own identity to a bland imperial regime especially in those planets with their own internal military squabbles like
Proto-Catholics against One Worlders (DUNE) in which the Empire wouldn't really care as along they pay their wages to the cause.

Darkross
05-09-2005, 09:24 PM

The Empire needed to build it's fleet quickly thus relied on a design that could be mass produced, and when ties are flying in formation (albeit alot of them)...whether they have shields / hyperdrives or not...they are not needed as their sheer number in battle is enough intimidation, and with their quick maneuverability and lack of shields / armor...a good pilot wouldn't need them in battle. Plus the most of the Tie Pilots were probably told they had shields and only discovered they were lied to when their ships were hit. :D