PDA

View Full Version : Speculation on post-ROTS ....what do you think??

jwmc1971
04-21-2005, 03:09 PM
I heard the movies will be re-released in 3D ...soooo...one can assume there will be another line of toys after this one ..do you think they will try a "shadow" type of line in between them or what ? They could have a darth hunting down the jedi line or something else along that line . POTS toys will have to end sometime after , but i hope they come up with something original like " shadows" ...any thoughts??:confused:

El Chuxter
04-21-2005, 03:24 PM
There are several possibilities:

First, there's a rumor that the OT main characters will be revisited (again), and, once again, that's without us getting a stinking Lando Calrissian in Smuggler's Gear. I truly hope this isn't the case.

Second, there are still tons of great character designs from all six movies that can be milked from now till doomsday. Yarna d'al Gargan, Brea and Senni Tonnikka, Tey Hwo, Kaminoan on Aiwha, Bren Derlin, Moff Jerjerrod -- I'll stop here, because the list really is close to endless. (Throw in costume changes for Padme and it really does become endless.) Maybe Jira or Jocasta Nu aren't top priority, but with kids probably out of the market for the most part in a year or so, it may finally be time to get these characters immortalized in plastic.

Third, there are quite a few characters who have been released but whose earlier figures are inadequate. Hasbro's been slowing fixing things, but how about AOTC Luminara or Barriss (non-disco versions), a plain old Mace figure with no action features to ruin him, or the ever-requested R5-D4 sans nuclear warhead launcher?

Fourth, there are quite a few cool characters from cut scenes that could be made.

Fifth, it would be nice to get some more figures based on conceptual drawings. I wasn't too hip to the idea at first, but Maul, Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, and the Stormtrooper could use a little company. Concept Vader would be an obvious choice if Hasbro chooses to continue this idea.

Sixth, I don't know about you, but I'd love to finish my animated collection with "cartoon-style" figures of Padme, Obi-Wan and Saessee Tiin in armor, Barriss and Luminara, Ki-Adi, etc, etc, etc. . . not to mention a "Flying Tiger" repaint of the Gunship. (Some could also be done in the style of the realistic Clone Wars figures we got a couple of years ago, like the Ithorian and Talz Jedi.)

Speaking of animation, Hasbro could always (seventh) revisit the animated Ewoks and Droids series.

Eighth, there are the two "lost" SW movies (Caravan of Courage and Battle for Endor), as well as the Holiday Special. We've got one Holiday Special figure already with Takeel. I'd give my left arm for a Teek figure.

Ninth, there's quite a bit more great tales from novels, comics, videogames, etc, that would make great figures. I'm likely to stop collecting altogether if Hasbro releases Callista, Boba Fett: Dengar's Wedding Tuxedo, or a Waru playset, but who wouldn't go for a Corran Horn, Republic Commando, Ulic Qel-Droma, Nom Anor, or Quinlan Vos figure?

Tenth--and most likely in the near future--a SW TV series is all but officially confirmed to start within the next couple of years. I think it's a given that we'll see quite a few figures from that series.

It'd be nice, I think, to get more non-movie figures, but I don't think Hasbro should be coming up with the characters and storylines themselves. There are already far too many great possibilities out there.

master J
04-21-2005, 04:05 PM
Your forgetting all the vehicles and playsets they have yet to do... Not holding my breath on that one! But they could always surprise us and actually listen to us. How hard would it be to market a series of smaller playsets that link to one big playset? Death star... blockade runner... star destroyer... jabbas palace... sarlacc pit... the list could go on and on!

beckmen
04-21-2005, 04:19 PM
They should re-release the '78 Death Star Playset, that thing was awesome!

rust
04-21-2005, 04:58 PM
Ok, going with corny names, the next Power line will be 'Power of the Force 3-D'. Each is boxed on a Vintage like card, and would be a two pack. One Main Character and one EU or Background character. Because of the relatively small bubble, the cost could be cropped to $4 or $5 (It could be $4 if they recycled plastic for the bubbles). Each figure would get an insert 3-D Infinities comic of the characters meeting/battling written by some Hasbro (Hey, they did it with TF Armada), and a small Figure catalog. Each figure comes with cut out 3-D Glasses, Red and Blue Foil, and directions on how to put it together with the comic.

There would be some mail-away figures too if you send in a pair or two of cut out 3-D Glasses and the Figure Bubbles (The 3-D Glasses to ensure you bought the figure, and the Figure Bubbles to recycle). If you sent in oh... 20 Bubbles, and 10 Pairs of Glasses, You could get some exclusive figure.

Wugmanmax
04-21-2005, 05:46 PM
I would like to see them take over the place of 3 3/4 GI Joes and come in 2-packs for about $7 bucks.

Either that, or go to a larger scale. Perferably 6-inch with cool articulation so that they can fit in with Marvel Legends and SOTA's Street Fighter.

Joshkj
04-21-2005, 05:58 PM
Saessee Tiin in armor,

I would honestly pay 40 bucks for a fig like that, and I have to say that was my altime favorite star wars moment...

Ant the flying tiger would be nice.

Hasbro needs to listen to the collectors more since we ARE a very large amount of thier income, seriously. If they had some better PR and more polls then actually do things we suggest,
1st we always think of stuff kids would like too
2nd we would actuall be finally satisfied with what they put out.

beckmen
04-21-2005, 06:54 PM
I think they should so a new Saga-type line that has figures from all 6 movies and EU (the card would say what the figure is from). Same 4" figs they've always made. No action features, but good articualtion/sculpt/paint jobs/accesories and no soft goods. The price point would drop to 4.99. Along with these figures would come vehicles, playsets and accesories for the figures.

stillakid
04-22-2005, 12:16 AM
I heard the movies will be re-released in 3D ...soooo...one can assume there will be another line of toys after this one ..

Yeah, but you'll have to wear funny glasses in order to see them. :D

beckmen
04-22-2005, 12:29 AM
Actually, I read the 3-D movies are going to be pushed back do to technoligy issues and whatnot. Maybe 2012 for the 35th Anniversary.

But they ARE launching a new Saga line (First 4 in the Early Bird Kit), so I don't think we'll be seeing a total drop-off in toys. I do think they are going to go back to the POTJ/OTC days, where WM and other stores will have a tiny section only and not the massive wall they have for ROTS. As said in another thread, this is probably the last time we're going to have such a massive amount of SW stuff in stores. The last "event" in a 28 year span....:(

CrunchyNug
04-22-2005, 02:51 AM
I think Hasbro has given us clues already. With the Early Bird figures clearly being OTC characters, and the latest Exclusive, Holographic Leia, we might get a hint from the packaging itself. Although it's only the back, it does look like the OTC packaging style.

jwmc1971
04-22-2005, 07:06 AM
"old skool" would be a cool way to go as i dont have the $$$ to get the old stuff...i can impress nonSW peeps with my OTC ...they think it really IS old .hehe . I heard something along the same lines about the 3D movies , i just hope we dont have to wait that long ...POTS should be the next line ...maybe an apprentice of Darth V's ( not the kind who's "fired") that we didnt "know" about till now...then a few bad guys who want to take over ...until they get the "D" smack down !:nerv:

Fluke Skywalker
04-22-2005, 08:48 AM
They're certainly keeping their cards close to their chests right now. Here's a what I wish they would do.

1. Transition back into a hybrid OTC style cardback. It would be neat if they treated the cardbacks like the movies and made it as if they were 'Evolving' toward the old school Kenner cards.

2. Now that the films are over, the line will be almost exclusively collector driven. Hello articulation and goodbye action features!

3. Replace the 12" line with a six inch line of super articulated figures like the LOTR series, and price 'em around $8-10. Will never happen.

4. Like someone said earlier, more concept figures. Boba Fett would a nice one to start with. I've seen old concept art of him greyish white and another with red accents.

5. Focus on two areas, 1.) Get around to making the 'Unmade' figures, and 2.) Improve some of their weaker figures from the past. I want a new Han Bespin!

6. Don't sink too much time and money into the TV shows (Lucas said on Access Hollywood the other day that there would indeed be two). The safe bet, stick with what you know fans want. If the shows are a success, great, you can make the backround characters then.

samskull
04-22-2005, 10:10 AM
As soon as they get the "Early Bird" and "lightsabers-in-the-arms" run out of their system. I suspect the OTC-style route. A blend of the usual suspects (Luke, Leia, Han, Vader...) with resculpting of a lot of the POTF2 line...Tarkin, Bib Fortuna, Piett, Garindan, Death Star Gunner, etc...

As they gear to less kid oriented and more collectibility the chances of Vehicles and Playsets slims. Daydreaming... I'd like to see Playsets revisted even if they used old GIJoe stuff like the bases for a more EU concept. Reissuing vehicles like the Cloud Car and Rebel Transport would be nice too. But I don't image we'll see any of this.

Hopefully, the true fans, the ones who open the package and have a few moments of fun re-enacting childhood moments will be able to get their hands on some of the ones they've been waiting for.

Lazer Brain
04-22-2005, 11:04 AM
Rebuke Your Sins!
The End Is Near!
Oh , Tho I Walk
Thru The Lava
With Vader...lol

megaprime33
04-22-2005, 11:27 AM
I honestly dont think that there will ever be a drop down in toys for SW. Neither hasbro nor lucasfilm will allow that. SW is way too popular of a line to just do a small line of figures here and there. I'm sure there will be some sort of saga line or something else between after rots and whatever comes next.....tv show perhaps?

aricajade
04-22-2005, 12:38 PM

That would rock if they would do that. I can't tell you the number of hours I spent with that thing. I still have it....in many pieces...most all the supports are broken off.

LusiferSam
04-22-2005, 02:22 PM
Maybe in 1978 it was. Hasbro could (but won't) do so much better today.

As for post ROTS, I think the best thing would be for the lines to die a quite peaceful death. But Hasbro will keep pushing new stuff, more new resculpts, more pre posed and more junk until Lucas says stop or the collecting community runs out of money.

evenflow
04-22-2005, 04:50 PM
There are several possibilities:

First, there's a rumor that the OT main characters will be revisited (again), and, once again, that's without us getting a stinking Lando Calrissian in Smuggler's Gear. I truly hope this isn't the case.

Second, there are still tons of great character designs from all six movies that can be milked from now till doomsday. Yarna d'al Gargan, Brea and Senni Tonnikka, Tey Hwo, Kaminoan on Aiwha, Bren Derlin, Moff Jerjerrod -- I'll stop here, because the list really is close to endless. (Throw in costume changes for Padme and it really does become endless.) Maybe Jira or Jocasta Nu aren't top priority, but with kids probably out of the market for the most part in a year or so, it may finally be time to get these characters immortalized in plastic.

Third, there are quite a few characters who have been released but whose earlier figures are inadequate. Hasbro's been slowing fixing things, but how about AOTC Luminara or Barriss (non-disco versions), a plain old Mace figure with no action features to ruin him, or the ever-requested R5-D4 sans nuclear warhead launcher?

Fourth, there are quite a few cool characters from cut scenes that could be made.

Fifth, it would be nice to get some more figures based on conceptual drawings. I wasn't too hip to the idea at first, but Maul, Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, and the Stormtrooper could use a little company. Concept Vader would be an obvious choice if Hasbro chooses to continue this idea.

Sixth, I don't know about you, but I'd love to finish my animated collection with "cartoon-style" figures of Padme, Obi-Wan and Saessee Tiin in armor, Barriss and Luminara, Ki-Adi, etc, etc, etc. . . not to mention a "Flying Tiger" repaint of the Gunship. (Some could also be done in the style of the realistic Clone Wars figures we got a couple of years ago, like the Ithorian and Talz Jedi.)

Speaking of animation, Hasbro could always (seventh) revisit the animated Ewoks and Droids series.

Eighth, there are the two "lost" SW movies (Caravan of Courage and Battle for Endor), as well as the Holiday Special. We've got one Holiday Special figure already with Takeel. I'd give my left arm for a Teek figure.

Ninth, there's quite a bit more great tales from novels, comics, videogames, etc, that would make great figures. I'm likely to stop collecting altogether if Hasbro releases Callista, Boba Fett: Dengar's Wedding Tuxedo, or a Waru playset, but who wouldn't go for a Corran Horn, Republic Commando, Ulic Qel-Droma, Nom Anor, or Quinlan Vos figure?

Tenth--and most likely in the near future--a SW TV series is all but officially confirmed to start within the next couple of years. I think it's a given that we'll see quite a few figures from that series.

It'd be nice, I think, to get more non-movie figures, but I don't think Hasbro should be coming up with the characters and storylines themselves. There are already far too many great possibilities out there.

Now all of that would be perfect. (Well I dont want then to restart with a new line, but everything else I owuld love!)

Kidhuman
04-22-2005, 04:52 PM
Here is my specualtion...

I will be spending money on what ever they put out.

Fwad
04-22-2005, 05:15 PM
A recarded cantina Han Solo in a special star case and make it an exclusive to the trash dumpster behind Target.

beckmen
04-22-2005, 05:45 PM
They're certainly keeping their cards close to their chests right now. Here's a what I wish they would do.

1. Transition back into a hybrid OTC style cardback. It would be neat if they treated the cardbacks like the movies and made it as if they were 'Evolving' toward the old school Kenner cards.

2. Now that the films are over, the line will be almost exclusively collector driven. Hello articulation and goodbye action features!

3. Replace the 12" line with a six inch line of super articulated figures like the LOTR series, and price 'em around $8-10. Will never happen.

4. Like someone said earlier, more concept figures. Boba Fett would a nice one to start with. I've seen old concept art of him greyish white and another with red accents.

5. Focus on two areas, 1.) Get around to making the 'Unmade' figures, and 2.) Improve some of their weaker figures from the past. I want a new Han Bespin!

6. Don't sink too much time and money into the TV shows (Lucas said on Access Hollywood the other day that there would indeed be two). The safe bet, stick with what you know fans want. If the shows are a success, great, you can make the backround characters then.

1: Yeah, this would be cool. Having the old-school Star Wars/ESB/ROTJ logogs on the packages depending on what movie the figure/vehicle is from...

2: Yes indeedy. No more floppy limbs or any of that crap!

3: Great idea here. Hasbro really should make a 6-8" line of McFarlane-esque toys. The closest they have come are lines like Unleashed and that POTF2-era statue line, but lack of articulation has really hurt them IMO. McFarlane toys sell good, and I think SW fans would LOVE a line of figures made in that same veign...

4: Concept figures would be pretty cool. An entire line of like 6-8 figures to test the waters and see how it pans out. Just no Gnome Yoda!

6: The TV Series lines would probably sell just as good, if not better than the Neo-Saga line methinks. I think they should do it all...

I also really think Hasbro can save money and still have a good line by not making superfelous versions of figures. Between Saga and OTC there's plenty of good figures that should simply be re-released instead of be re-made. A really cool idea for Hasbro would be to let fans vote on which version of a paticular figure should be re-released as a part of the new line. How many Vaders have they made over the years? Sticking to figures from the millemium era (IE: no buffy POTF2 versions), they can let us vote on what version we want for the new line.

Malest
04-22-2005, 06:01 PM
I would love to see a 6" line like Toybiz' Lord of the Rings line. I would love a SA Aayla Secura with a fantastic sculpt:D . The only downside would be that the vehicles would have to freakin' enormous!

beckmen
04-22-2005, 06:43 PM
Well, the 6/8" line wouldn't have any vehicles or playsets, just like McFarlane toys. They'd just be super-sweet sculpt/paint jobs with great articulation and probably a base or something. This line would of course start with the basics...Vader, Stormie, Han, Luke (not ANH hopefully, I doubt I'd ever buy an ANH Luke again yunless it's in Stormie outfit), Anakin, Obi-Wan, Palpy, ect...

I am visualizing it now...

WAVE I:
Darth Maul (The Phantom Menace)
Qui-Gon Jinn (The Phantom Menace)
Count Dooku (Attack of the Clones)
Anakin Skywalker (Attack of the Clones)
General Grievous (Revenge of the Sith)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Revenge of the Sith)
Stormtrooper (A New Hope)
Han Solo (A New Hope)
Darth Vader (The Empire Strikes Back)
Luke Skywalker (The Empire Strikes Back)
Chewbacca (Return of the Jedi)
Emperor Palpatine (Return of the Jedi)

WAVE II (2 months later...)
Boba Fett
Clonetrooper
Princess Leia (A New Hope)
Mace Windu
Yoda (Attack of the Clones)
Jar Jar Binks (NOOOOT!!!)

MaquisWarrior
04-22-2005, 07:26 PM
Don't worry, if there's always gaming. www.hasbro.com has several fun things you can do with the action figures. With enough pressure, there COULD be a/an action figure gamesoft (as they are called in Japan) for PS or Xbox where us kids can customize figures, and most importantly have them all with opening a box, taking up space, or being crushed by baby or doggie. Let's root for the LEGO game so that this other game can exist. The deformed line already had /has a pod racing game.

General_Grievous
04-23-2005, 11:30 PM
I think that they'll just do a whole big Star Wars Universe line. One line encompassing all movies, television shows, video games, etc. They could call it something like "Star Wars Legacy".

evenflow
04-24-2005, 12:13 PM
I think that they'll just do a whole big Star Wars Universe line. One line encompassing all movies, television shows, video games, etc. They could call it something like "Star Wars Legacy".

Yeah i think this has to happen. It wouldmake the most sense and really unify the line a little better. I just hope they go back to included some EU stuff. It woul dbe nice that if each wave of new figures consisted of 7 characters; 1 from each movie and 1 from EU.

Slicker
04-24-2005, 01:24 PM
I think that they'll just do a whole big Star Wars Universe line. One line encompassing all movies, television shows, video games, etc. They could call it something like "Star Wars Legacy".That would be a good idea. Something to make all of the movies feel like one instead of having different packaging for each movie like they presently have making it feel like it's all a completely different line.

rust
04-24-2005, 02:45 PM
To expand on my POTF3D idea (So someone comments on it)...
How do these waves sound? Remeber, Each comes with a new Infinities Comic that those Characters are the main characters...

Wave 1
Luke Skywalker (Early Bird) & Uncle Aunt Beru (NEW)
Ben Kenobi (OTC Rehash) & Dr. Evanzan (Deluxe Rehash)
Grand Moff Tarkin (NEW) & Grand Admiral Thrawn (NEW)

Wave 2
Lando Calrissian (NEW) & Joruus C'Boath (NEW)
Stormtrooper (VOTC) & Dark Trooper (EU)
Chewbacca (Saga 02) & Clone Emperor (New)

Wave 3
Luke Skywalker (Saga 04 Jabba's Palace) & Mara Jade (NEW)
Leia Boussh (NEW) & Kyle Katarn (NEW)
Han Solo (Blind 4-Pack) & Oola (Rehash with S. Crumb)

Deluxe 1
Ephant Mon (Saga)
Stormtrooper 3-Pack (All VOTC Troops)
Dark Trooper 2-Pack (EU)

Wave 4
Qui-Gon Jinn (NEW) & A'Sharred Hett (NEW)
Obi Wan Kenobi (NEW Young) (W/Lil Annie POTJ Rehash) & Quinlan Vos (NEW)
Darth Maul (Evolutions) & Pablo Jill (OTC)

Wave 5
Bariss Offee (NEW) & Jerec (NEW)
Anakin Skywalker (Evolutions) & Desann (NEW)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Saga Pilot with NEW Head) & Tavion (NEW JO)

Wave 6
Commander Neyo (NEW) & Clone Trooper (SA Target Exclusive)
Anakin (Evolutions) & Obi-Wan Kenobi (Red Leader with NEW Head)
Clone Trooper (ROTS 41) & Clone Trooper (ROTS 41)

Vehicles
Millennium Falcon (OTC) w/ Han Solo (OTC)
Cloud Car (NEW) w/Cloud Car Pilot (OTC)
Geonosian Chariot w/ Poggle The Lesser and Massiff (NEW, 3-Pack, and Saga 02)
V-Wing w/Clone Pilot (NEW)

Vehicles Exclusive
AT-TE (Diamond Comics/Disney World Exclusive) (NEW)
Turbo Tank (Disney World/Disney Land Exclusive) (NEW)
Imperial Shuttle (Diamond Comics/Disney World Exclusive) (Saga)
Queen's Ship (TPM) (Disney World/Disney Land Exclusive)

MaquisWarrior
04-24-2005, 08:00 PM
Attacktix that's the future.

rust
04-24-2005, 08:26 PM
Attacktix that's the future.Hell no. I am not dishing out $8 for 3 Random Figures.

thoughtcrime
04-26-2005, 02:44 PM
Of course they will pump out more rehashes and new card styles each year until the line becomes unprofitable. I think we will see a variant on the OTC cards next year, encompassing all 6 movies.

General_Grievous
02-23-2008, 05:45 PM
I was just reminiscing about the ROTS craze by going through some old posts, and I found this:

I am a prophet!

samskull
02-25-2008, 09:44 AM
Hasbro is watching you, G.G.! HA HA!