PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on the c3 store

moulman
04-23-2005, 10:56 AM
One word to describe this: disaster.
I could only go yesterday which wasnt a big problem for me, but seeing as how the store was closed from 1030 on was preety amazing. Although i had a preety fun day, this kinda put a damper on things.

I know that all the clothes will be on starwarsshop.com in about 2 weeks, but i have no clue on the figure.

Anyone else not make it in the store?

PS: if anyone happens to get an extra vader, PM me, we can work something out, whether it be a trade or transaction thru paypal

Slicker
04-23-2005, 12:15 PM
So does this mean that people are having a tough time finding the CIII Vader at the CIII store? I really hope that JJL can still come through with one for me.

moulman
04-23-2005, 12:36 PM
hah! finding it wasnt the problem, getting in was. I got to the store around 10:30, and according to the event staff guy there, there was already about 7,000 people in the store. They stopped allowing people due to the fact the fire martial came and said no more people could come in.

there were enough people in there that buy the time everyone was served, it would 8pm and time for the store to close.

It was all those people with the fan club passes that could get in an hour early, and basically most of them headed over to the store.

Owell, I guess ill find another way to find the figure. But wasting a whole day in line is like paying $15+$40 (I had a single day pass), to get a figure.

hango fett
04-23-2005, 03:00 PM
ok. i left the convention early because i needed rest after my little fun this morning...
anyways, we got in the building on thursday at about 12:30 or so. we went straight to the store, which line was already back beyond the fan club lounge. we then waited 5 1/2 hours to get that blasted figure. too much talk from the volunteers as they had idle chit chat with every customer and were as rude as can be. i got a figure ans so did my dad. i opened mine just because i wanted it out and we already had one in the pack.

i know one thing from this "adventure" i will NEVER DO THIS AGAIN. EVER.
HF

Lord Malakite
04-23-2005, 03:26 PM
If you think that is bad you should check out ebay. Entire cases of CIII Vaders are being auctioned off for close to $1000 each. :dead:

moulman
04-23-2005, 03:48 PM
they should of:

a) staffed the store better

b) make one big store for figures and such and several little stores around the center for clothing ( I wouldnt of mined walking away w/ a hat or shirt)

There also seemed to be alot more people there than there was a c2.

If i could describe the day in a photo, it would be this one:
http://img98.echo.cx/my.php?image=dscn03599tf.jpg

PS: I just went all my figs I got from c2. If anyone happens to have an extra vader, and they dont have/want a george sacul, send me a PM. Cards are in good condition.

Frizz_himself
04-24-2005, 01:16 AM
yes it was crazy i stood in line for four hours and i still had 3 hours to go so i got out of line and said screw it and bought one from a guy for 50 bucks. i was so mad.

Tonysmo
04-24-2005, 01:27 AM
we got to CIII early Friday morning, thinking that there would be a decent line. headed straight to the shop to get the figures and get it out of the way..

ha.,

pretty disapointed.. to say the least.

but.. had we got in.. we would have wasted away the entire day.. waiting..

so, Ill look at this as a blessing in disguise as I got to see much more this time.

even bumped into a few forumites as well.. :D

You would have thought they learned something from CII..

Airflo
04-24-2005, 04:27 AM
I am profoundly disappointed, this was another Celebration sales disaster. As at C2, i was only able to attend C3 one day. At C2 i waited in line at the store only to find the figures sold out as i was mere feet from the counter. I wanted C2 pins for my collection, only to find out they had to be mailed to me at a much later date.

This year i headed straight to the store after my arrival, and was waiting in line (which was all the way around to the archive room) by 10:10. After only a few minutes i was told the line was closed, and no one would be allowed to get in for some time (they even called in extra security for the end of the line). I checked the line again a couple of hours later to find it was reopened, but i would have to wait 5 hours to get in, effectively ending my Celebration. Later on i discovered they closed the line again, in all likelyhood before i would have gotten in anyway.

While i really wanted the Vader figure, i at LEAST would have like to gotten an item with the con logo on it, especially a pin (or hat, or tshirt...anything!). While waiting in line i commented on the fact that a figure-only line would have been great, and items with the con logo alone could have been sold separately. This seems to have been a common view. If the sales of exclusive items is taking over the con, they should place those items (or preorders for them) up for sale before the actual event, as a presell when you purchase your badge. Pay for your badge, your figure, your topper, whatever, and only have to pick them up when you arrive.

It's just a shame that if one wants to attend the convention for a single day, they must choose between spending the entire day at the store, or enjoying everything else the convention has to offer. I had a great experience at Celebration 3, IF you ignore any mention of the Celebration 3 store. It was a total mess.

mabudonicus
04-24-2005, 08:58 AM
Sounds similar to a few fiascos Wizkids perpetrated with "CON" exclusives...
I am glad I totally hate that sort of crass manipulation, the whole idea of laying down "x" dollars for a chance to maybe buy something is absolutely ridiculous (to bad there's planty of folks who would justify it with "If you REALLY want one then you will spend the money/time" absolutely stupid IMO, a 2 dollar piece of rubber on cardboard for 72 hours and a couple hundred bones?!?!?)

This sort of crass hyper-capitalism (along with crappy case assortments, as in "where's my clone commander??" ) is the exact reason I now feel guilty even buying figures, and if you think about it, the organizers know that this is the last one- it's like working your last shift, as long as you don't do anything criminal, who CARES what kind of feedback there is, you won't be around to hear about it anyways (and if there IS another some years in the future, there will be plenty of people who either didn't see the last one and are therefore totally not expecting to get fleeced, OR would honestly hope that the problems seen at the last one would have led to some sort of amelioration... sorry about your luck, whichever of the 2 groups you fit into)

Good thing me and KH didn't make it there, we'd both be in jail by now :beard:

If you think that is bad you should check out ebay. Entire cases of CIII Vaders are being auctioned off for close to $1000 each.
Yeah, it's a reward to the fans, remember ????
what a sick joke, I am truly sorry for everyone who was hoping to be able to PURCHASE the "SPECIAL FIGURE" only to find out that you didn't "want" it enough, or that the "thrill" of having a "chance" to get one isn't quite as exciting when you walk out empty handed after looking at the back of somone's head for a couplke of days

betterthanfett
04-24-2005, 09:32 AM
I didn't even get in! I drove 5 hours up there on sat morning, got there at 8 am, stood OUTSIDE for over 2 hours, and they said they weren't selling passes anymore. There was no way for me to get in the convention, let alone the store! It was a disaster and I was really disapointed in the orginization and staffing.

Kidhuman
04-24-2005, 10:53 AM
Mabs, you aint kidding. I would have raised hell if I waited in line and they said we are closed. I would have slept in front of the store just to get a figure.

Darth Takeo
04-24-2005, 10:54 AM
The store was quite ridiculous. Waiting 4 1/2 hours in a line really does sap the life out of you. One thing is for certain, between waiting in line to get in AND waiting in the store line, all other line-waiting will seem like light work.
:D

On a positive note, I did get two Vader figs plus shirts.

moulman
04-24-2005, 11:56 AM
lol I had dinner in the main exhibit hall, and right by the tables were some doors. Apparently they lead right into the store, but I didnt chance it, I woulda gotten kicked out, and more importantly, i woulda missed ESB.

Too bad theres no place to complain about this, maybe if we nag enough theyll throw us a few figs to get us the shut up about the matter ;)

scruffziller
04-24-2005, 10:24 PM
Yea, on Saturday, they revamped the line but it had a point where it said seven hour wait. No thanx. I'll take my chances on ebay. I got myself a cool CHICAGO FORCE t-shirt. That is where C3 should have been. But Mayor Daley would charge an arm and a leg. The venue was waaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy too small. The cele was way too congested for EVERYTHING!!!!
They need to stop using Gen Con cuz their cheap. It was ran horribly. Indianapolis is planning on building a bigger venue cuz tons of organizations have threatened not to return because the venue is so small.

moulman
04-24-2005, 10:31 PM
Ya since the Colts are getting a new stadium, they are also adding onto the convention center.

Hopefully if theres ever another sw convention, theyll have it back here in indy :D

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
04-24-2005, 11:29 PM
Yes, the store caused a lot of grief among the masses. It was strange, because of pre-order badges, they should have gotten a rough estimate of the number of people who were going to attend, but you wouldn't of realized it.

A couple of things they could have done:

a) hired professional retail people - The store was operated by mostly volunteers, and many were a bit slow in their transactions, with getting the merchandise, packing it, using the register, etc. Even someone like me, who took me 30 seconds to place my order, it took about 5 minutes to get my stuff (and they didn't have that far to go to get it).

b) more registers - simple enough

c) had a separate line for figures only - would have herded the cattle faster.

d) take orders while you were at a certain point in line (like near the registers) so you can get your stuff faster.

e) tell George Lucas that people had to wait in line for 8 hours to give him money - I laughed out loud when I heard a fan say this.

I understand the frustrations of many. We had to get up at 5 a.m. to get the figures, and there were about 500 people ahead of us. Some people spent their whole trip in line. Capping the line off early in the day, deflated a lot of people.

One thing that pleased me, was they did create quotas on the figures per day, so that they wouldn't have sold out all within the first day or two. This allowed people who came in on the weekend to get a chance to get them.

bobafrett
04-25-2005, 12:12 AM
I didn't attend CIII, but at CII it was much the same experience. I got lucky though, as I was a fan club member, plus I was also a badge check person, so I volunteered for 10 to 12 hours that weekend doing badge check, I was able to get in early, and even that was a bit of a wait, then when I got up to the counter, the credit ccard machines were not functioning. I haven't heard from my friend who attended, if he was able to get me a Vader figure or not. Sorry to hear about the problems with the store, I thought they would have it running more efficiently this year.

Did anyone here get one of my autographed trading cards? I'm TK-523, LMK if you did. I only sent out 100 of them to the convention.

darthjabba
04-25-2005, 12:56 AM
I also found found many problems with this years C3 and figures etc, first of all why is there just one store? theres plenty of room to have multiable stores maybe on diffrent levels to break up some of the lines.? When I went to C2 it was worse mainly due to the way the figures were sold "first come first served" atleast this year there were some limits on how many could be bought. I was just able to attend C3 for one day myself so time was an issue definately espically when i was wating in all the lines etc, I was able to get one auto graph after that i was to angry to go on. on a lighter note..... around 3pm on saturday at the Hall there was this woman dressed at "prisoner Liea" all i can say is :crazed: haha

QLD
04-25-2005, 07:44 PM
My thoughts were this, there was no way I was wasting an entire day there just to get a figure or momentos. I had plenty of pictures and memories to remember it by. I would like the Vader figure, but I could not justify waiting in that line, over doing something cool like seeing Lucas, Billy Dee, or watching the 30 minute and one man show.

CooLJoE
04-26-2005, 03:32 AM
Yeah, the C3 store could have gone better.

But I did hear that around 100 people signed up to help (of the volunteers), but only like 28 or so actually showed up. So they were short staffed at the store. I'm not saying it excuses all of the problems with the store, but it does explain why it was slower than it should be.

Really they should give you a cheapo pencil and order form when you walk in the door. And then have you hand the order form to the cashier instead of actually telling them what you want. This would shave some time off the lines. And if you weren't sure of clothing sizes, there should have been an area to see them clothing in person like at one part of the line (perhaps near the display cases). And if you didn't fill out the form completely before getting up there, you had to sit off to the side and wait til you did have it completely filled out.

I noticed alot of people would get up to the cashier and spend most of the time asking about various products, clothing sizes, etc before actually ordering anything. Plus some of the runners were just plain slow. My friend ordered his stuff after I did, but he ordered at a different register (next one over from me) and he got his stuff like 30 seconds after he paid for it. Mine took like 5-10 minutes to arrive.

Bantha274
04-26-2005, 11:24 AM
The whole experience was a freakin joke. I had a four day pass and couldn't even get in the store the first two days. I got to the convention at 6am Saturday just to get in the store line. It was raining, windy, and cold, and we waited outside until the doors opened at 9am. After getting in, there was more waiting in line. I didn't get out of the store until after 12 noon.

6 hours for "exclusive" figures that I found out were being sold at the starwarsstore.com after the convention. That's f**ing bulls**t. How DARE they sell these online after all the crap they put so many thousands of people through at the convention!?

While I chose to wait hours in line for the store for these so-called "exclusives", It just seemed unfair to many people who had only single day passes who couldn't even get in line for the store minutes after the doors opened. Add that to the fact that every line for just about every event was hours long wait just made things that much more disappointing. The organisers of this event had no f***ing clue what they were doing. Volunteers were rarely helpful to answer questions, in many rooms they seemed to rush you out the door after you had been waiting for hours in line to see certain things (the Lucasfilm Archives room seemed like they didn't even want people to stop and actually read the descriptions of the items being displayed, volunteers were constantly telling people to "Take a few photos and move along as quickly as possible". I told one that I would take as much time as I needed and he said if I lingered too long he would have security remove me. This was after waiting an hour in line to walk through the room in less than 5 minutes. Again, more frustrating B.S.)

Overall, scoring between 1 and 10, with 10 being the best, I would rate my four-day experience at Celebration III a 4. I will never attend a future Celebration event if they do continue to do them. It's just not worth the money, hassle, and TIME, lots of time wasted to leave so un-satisfied.

BoPs
04-26-2005, 11:29 AM
6 hours for "exclusive" figures that I found out were being sold at the starwarsstore.com after the convention. That's f**ing bulls**t. How DARE they sell these online after all the crap they put so many thousands of people through at the convention!?

don't worry.. the one you got at ciii is different than the one offered on starwars.com :) and also.. i didnt get either if it makes you feel any better :ermm:

JEDIpartner
04-26-2005, 11:36 AM
I only stood in line for 3 hours on the first day, so I can't really comment.

Dar' Argol
04-26-2005, 01:00 PM
The store was poorly planned. If they had 2 or 3 in different locations that would have made a world of differance. Here's what I went through:

Thursday: Go there early. VERY EARY! Because we did not relize there was a time shift. Stood in line just to get in for 4 hours or so. Got in and I saw the Clone Wars Animated Series, then I went to the store . . . bad idea. The line was capped right outside the Exhibitors Hall D. They said come back in 2 hours . . yeah right. Didn't get in that day.

Friday: New plan . . head right for the store. Even got in early thanx to Dr Evazan22. Bee lined right for the store and here they shut it down for the day because the Fire Marshall told them to. Friggin 9:30 in the morning and they closed the store down!?!?!?!

Saturday: I got to get to this store. I promised my little girl a shirt and my nephew. Plus I wanted a few things. Drop the crew off at the front so they could get in line while me and The Xir parked the cars. Heading back up there Dr Evazan22 called me and said they had 3 lines, 1 for the fan clud entrance to the convention, one for the fan clud store, and one to see Lucas. So we met up with him and Lowly Bantha Cleaner had stood in line for the store. So we all went back to get in line with him. It was cold, windy, raining off and on, but there we were. Then the line starts to move, amd it goes good until we are about 20 people from the door. Then this girl and Guy walk out, saying they had room for the second showing of Lucas but you would not be able to go to the store if you went. Hmmm . . . . Lucas, Store, Lucas, Store. Well, my daughter cannot wear Lucas, nor can I take him home with me . . . . I stayed for the store. Skipping the boring "in-line" stuff, got up to the regisiter. They were sold out of the Childs Tees, they did not have the Yoda Hoodie I wanted . . . So I got my figs, got my shirt, ordered the badge set and the 2 child tees and had them shipped to me. I had Forrest Gump working the register and he was having a hard time dealing with cash/credit/breathing. Took waaaaay to long just to do that transaction. But I think it was worth it. My daughter and nephew will be happy, I'm happy.

Total wait time from when we got there till we left: 6 1/2 hours . . . . that is too long for anyone to wait. And if you had to go to the bathroom . . forget it! They had vendor guys waling around selling bottles or water for $3!!! WATER!! They had thes little Pappa John's personal pizzas for $4!!! I will go to another celebration because my over all experiance was awesome, but I do hope that they re-think their approch to the store. On Friday they did still have the Kiosk open, selling the hats and shirts and lanyards and such, but they shut that down friday night . . . why not have that open the whole time??? I think we should all email GenCon and let them know what a poor POOR job they did in handleing this. Unless SirSteve can organize something more formal.

JEDIpartner
04-26-2005, 01:21 PM
Typos, Dar! Typos!!!! :rolleyes:

;)

Dar' Argol
04-26-2005, 02:01 PM
Typos, Dar! Typos!!!! :rolleyes:

;)

Where WHERE!?!!?!

These are not the typos you are looking for

mericen
04-26-2005, 11:49 PM
Yes the store was a disaster. I went to Celebration III on Thursday. My Mom and I waited in the store line for close to 5 hours. And about at 7 pm, they finally came out to say that the store was permanently closed. But they did hand out armbands that enabled us to get back in the next morning early to gaurantee that we got into to store. Plus they converted our Thursday passes to Friday passes. So I got a free day at CIII too. So, all in all it was not bad.

Jayspawn
04-27-2005, 02:37 PM
The C3 Store was a total disaster. I didnt get in till Sunday morning and waited 4 1/2 hours to get in. The lines inside were horrendus. It didnt help that Employees and Volunteers stood around and did nothing -that really set me off! I was about to start blasting Sith lightning from my fingers!

Other people waited as long as 12+ hours to get in -which is insane! They wasted a whole day just standing in line. I talked to GenCon Supervisors about this fiasco, and they appologized and said that if I was a Fan Club Member it wouldnt be a problem getting into the store -what a joke! I fired back against their excuses, wanting a more specific response. They got quiet and apologized again and said they were sorry, and that theres nothing that they're going to do about it.

Sentinel18725
04-29-2005, 05:41 PM
don't worry.. the one you got at ciii is different than the one offered on starwars.com :) and also.. i didnt get either if it makes you feel any better :ermm:

It's different? How? I picked some up there but also got some online but they are not here yet. Any info?

Sentinel18725
04-29-2005, 05:47 PM
here is my ideas for the store:

1. Pre-order -have things pre-ordered and then you pick them up at the store, already paid for. Just bring in your email showing your purchase to confirm it. This would cause a little additional scheduling to get everyone on board for it (since items are shipped from different benders)

2. Pre-order with shipping- I would have paid 30 bucks to have my stuff sent to me at home so that all I would have to do is register on-line and fill out an order form. No hassle at the store. This would also alleviate much of the congestion at the store because others would have had it sent home also.

3. Multiple locations- you could seperate it off into a clothing section, a toy section, etc. and have multiple locations to pick them up at. Just have to prevent lines from forming for this to work.

4. Cash/Figure only line

It was run a little better than the previous time but it was still horrible. I had a woman pass out in front of me.......how perfect for her, I'm a paramedic!

I don't know if she ever got her stuff though. She made it into the last row before buying. I hope that it worked out ok for her.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
04-30-2005, 10:48 AM
Did anyone really see any use for the green Fan Club exclusive tickets? I received two prior to the show, and really never had a chance to use them. They said there was a separate line for Fan Club members only, but that line was just as bad as to the other ones. Also, the Fan Club lounge looked like a place you didn't want to waste a ticket on. Did anyone use them for any special event?

Dar' Argol
05-03-2005, 05:34 PM
Did anyone really see any use for the green Fan Club exclusive tickets? I received two prior to the show, and really never had a chance to use them. They said there was a separate line for Fan Club members only, but that line was just as bad as to the other ones. Also, the Fan Club lounge looked like a place you didn't want to waste a ticket on. Did anyone use them for any special event?

I used one when Dr Evazan and I got in early Sunday via a sky bridge . . . not much of a line there and we got in right away, while everyone else was still waiting out in the friggin cold! :D. The stupid woman up there took mine though and when I went to get into the Exhibitors hall, they would not let me in. The guy there said she should not have taken it. Luckly I had another and all I had to do was show him.

Funny thing was though LBC, Saturday when we were all in the line for the Fan Club Entrance to the store, yet they never asked me for a green ticket . . . . he heh he.