PDA

View Full Version : Discovery Channel Star Wars specials

vinyl fan
04-24-2005, 11:24 AM
According to the new TV Guide: The Discovery Channel will air 3 different Star Wars specials over 3 nights (5/16-5/18).

Droids, Bots and Artificial Intelligence
C-3PO Talks Back
Making War

BoPs
04-24-2005, 04:13 PM
the first 2 seem to be reruns of stuff than ran before AOTC came out . . but the third sounds interesting :-)

vinyl fan
04-24-2005, 04:59 PM
Hmmm........ Not too suprised if any are repeats. I don't think I saw any of them before, so they will be "new" to me :D

I believe the main title for all 3 is "The Science of Star Wars"

Frizz_himself
04-24-2005, 07:58 PM
cool have not seen any of them

Pendo
04-25-2005, 01:11 AM
Lets hope they'll be shown in the UK too :).

PENDO!

eshulmire
04-25-2005, 05:10 AM
Nice thanks for the info! :D

BoPs
04-25-2005, 05:33 AM
wanted to come on here and correct myself, those first 2 are new.. all 3 are new! wooh00!! science of starwars.. mmmmm tasty!

BoShek
05-11-2005, 07:13 AM
Thanks for the info. I will look into it.

Sentinel18725
05-16-2005, 07:44 PM
Well, I am currently watching it. I truly feel like I am in a throwback to the 70's. This program is, in my opinion, forced! (no pun intended)....It really feels like they are using Star Wars as a vehicle to do a program on robotics and A.I. This is then very loosely tied in with Star Wars with video clips and audio bites! Disappointed but it could be worse! Any other comments?

It was nice to hear George Lucas's opinion in places.

stillakid
05-16-2005, 11:57 PM
I just found out about this program so I've missed airing one. But it reruns at 11pm PST so I'll TIVO it then. :)

stillakid
05-17-2005, 12:18 PM
I just finished watching the first episode which concentrated on robotics and limited AI technology. Sort of interesting.

A couple of things stuck out. The first was the Personal Satellite Assistant http://ic.arc.nasa.gov/projects/psa/overview.html , which was very Star Warsy in it's design. What was disappointing was that the show didn't address the similarities between it and the Torture Droid at all. For a show with the title, The Science of Star Wars, you'd think they'd want to interview the inventor/designer and ask him about the influence. The funny thing was that it actually looked like a special effect because we're not used to seeing a floating ball capable of moving like that...yet it is entirely real. Cool. :cool:

The same thing goes for the ROBONAUT http://robonaut.jsc.nasa.gov whose head design is almost exactly a copy of Boba Fett's helmet. The picture in the link I've provided shows it somewhat, but when you see the helmet in motion, you get to see it from all sides and can really tell that it's Boba Fett in front of you.

I believe that these have limited repeats if you happened to miss them the first night. Check your local listings. :D

Mad Slanted Powers
05-29-2005, 01:22 AM
I saw the one on robots the first week, and part of the space cowboys episode. Tonight I saw the one about war and warriors. The part on the Shaolin monks was interesting. About all I know of them is from the Kung Fu TV series (both the original and The Legend Continues that aired years later). I should read up on them a bit.