PDA

View Full Version : Shocktrooper

Kenobi
04-24-2005, 10:04 PM
Did a little customizing of a clone today and thought I'd share the results.

This is an AT-TE Gunner I turned into a Shocktrooper.

Let me know what you guys think.

I'm gonna do a few more Shocktroopers (hopefully they will get better each one I do), then I'm going to do the Blue 501st Troopers from the trailer.

bobafrett
04-24-2005, 10:06 PM
Hee Hee he said "501st".

Kenobi
04-24-2005, 10:35 PM
That's what Lucas is calling the Blue Clones that accompany Anakin to the Jedi Temple. It's his little nod to the 501st. You can find it in the "Revenge of the Sith: Visual Dictionary" on page 39.

Here's what the book says:

"Even the Temple's finest sword master is no match for Anakin Skywalker and the Stormtroopers of the 501st Legion. Not one Jedi Knight or youngling will survive the horrific onslaught."

Doubt me not mr. frett :evil:

bobafrett
04-24-2005, 11:58 PM
Oh, I don't doubt you friend, in fact I read that same passage. I'm just delighted to hear that your going to make a figure like that, as I am a proud member of the 501st legion of Stormtroopers. I cannot wait to see the movie!

Kenobi
04-25-2005, 01:13 AM
Oh very cool!

Congrats on the nod from Mr. Lucas! That's is just awesome!

I'll make sure to post a pic of the 501st Trooper when I finish it as well.

:p

Hellboy
04-25-2005, 05:46 PM
Very nice work Kenobi. I'll make sure to check back on your other custom. :)

ronhudy
04-26-2005, 12:02 PM
Did a little customizing of a clone today and thought I'd share the results.

This is an AT-TE Gunner I turned into a Shocktrooper.

Let me know what you guys think.

I'm gonna do a few more Shocktroopers (hopefully they will get better each one I do), then I'm going to do the Blue 501st Troopers from the trailer.

Cool! Here's mine...I used a standard Clone Trooper.

jedi master sal
04-28-2005, 10:57 AM
Very nice. Would someone please post links and/or pics for reference. I know they are in the visual dictionary, but I'm hoping for a link, so I can just download the pics.

-Sal

Kenobi
04-28-2005, 12:04 PM
Here's a direct link to the pic (http://img210.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img210&image=visdic124bu.jpg&bgc=000000&fgc=&bor=) from the Visual Dictionary.

kool-aid killer
04-30-2005, 04:17 PM
Those are nice looking customs Kenobi and Ronhudy. Im trying to remain spoiler free so i wasnt aware of these types of clones. Kenobi, are you planning to make any kind with scarring on their uniforms? Both of you keep up the good work.

Kenobi
05-01-2005, 04:04 AM
Thanks for the kind words all.

Kool-Aid Killer: yup, I've actually done quite a few clones (Basic Clones and Commanders) with "battle scars" on the armor. I'll post up pics of some of them tomorrow when I can take some pics with better light.

I just finished up a couple of 501st Clones with the Blue Markings. They came out better than I anticipated, so I'll get some pics up of those as well.

Thanks again!

Sith Lord 0498
05-07-2005, 09:37 AM
What kind of paint are you guys using. I tried making one several days ago using Testors model paint. The deco turned out great, but even after 48 hours the paint was still sticky and smudging from my very light fingerprints. Now, the figure looks like a mess! Am I doing something wrong??

ronhudy
05-07-2005, 12:03 PM
What kind of paint are you guys using. I tried making one several days ago using Testors model paint. The deco turned out great, but even after 48 hours the paint was still sticky and smudging from my very light fingerprints. Now, the figure looks like a mess! Am I doing something wrong??

I also used model paint, and yes...the stuff stays sticky for a while and is hard to work with without smudging. I had some "Goof-Off" and Q-tips handy to quickly clean up any smudges. You can make it a little easier by having a hair dryer handy and giving it a blast of warm air every so often while you work, but I just tried to avoid touching areas where I had already painted. I waited about 5 days before recarding it.

This was my first custom job, and my son wants to do some more, so if I find any better paints or techniques, I'll be sure to post. I'd appreciate any other comments/techniques some of you more experienced customizers have as well...:)

Hellboy
05-07-2005, 04:07 PM

Sounds to me like you're using an enamel based model paint instead of acrylic. Not that it will do much good on your current custom but try switching next time and it should solve your problem. :)

mastermatt24
05-08-2005, 01:51 AM
I'd appreciate any other comments/techniques some of you more experienced customizers have as well...:)
Did you see my other posts?

Sith Lord 0498
05-08-2005, 02:25 AM
OK...I'm in the process of doing Shocktrooper "Take 2", and this time I'm using a red fine-point Bic permanent marker. It dries within a minute and looks just as good. Yeah, there's still a smudging problem, but it's not nearly as bad. Hopefully, this one will turn out right.

Kenobi
05-08-2005, 02:31 AM
I use Gamesworkshop Citadel Acrylic water-based paints.

They go on very smooth and dry really fast.

As soon as my paint is dry, I seal it with Testers Dull Coat.

Sith Lord 0498
05-08-2005, 12:19 PM
Finally finished my Shocktrooper!! It's not perfect (the armor has light pink traces to it from my fingers smudging it), but it looks great. Next time I get ahold of a digital camera, I'll post pics.

I ended up using Bic permanent markers b/c they dried so fast. For the "wear and tear" scrapes, I nicked random edges with a black Bic, and I scratched the red areas multiple times with a pin. The carbon scoring and general dirtiness were achieved by burning a match and rubbing in the sulfur as had been suggested.

Eventually, I did that with my other Clonetrooper, Clone Commander, and AT-TE Gunner to create an entire battle-damaged clone army. I even held the figures over the flame in certain spots to melt and discolor certain areas to reflect major scorch marks (this worked great on the Clone Commander's kilt/skirt/whatever).

To everyone that gave me advice, thank you very much. It is appreciated.

mastermatt24
05-10-2005, 10:49 PM
I did the match thing awhile ago to one of those army builder three pack clones: Took my exacto knife and hacked away at the armor where I wanted the hits to be, then the tip of the flame from one of those BBQ lighters and slightly scored it, then I took a really dark black and a little grey to make it look really neat. I noticed that the stuff that has been scorched does rub off a little so you can change it if you want.

Obi-Don
06-02-2005, 11:56 PM
I really like the the paint jobs or should I say marker work. I have used markers before , but use mostly paint. I have done a few myself. I used the clone commander as a model. So far I have a blue one,a green and a orange one. I thank you for the new ideas. Keep up the good work and post them when you can.

figrin bran
06-03-2005, 01:41 AM
Kenobi,

that's some great work! keep it up and you'll have all of us LA SSG'ers begging you to make customs for us! ;)