PDA

View Full Version : USA Today article with George Lucas

Sentinel18725
04-24-2005, 10:01 PM
In the USA Today article, from Saturday, their is an interview with George Lucas. In it, he states that the Star Wars saga is "about Darth Vader". Does anyone else feel that this is not quite acurate? Overall, I would have to say that he is correct for two reasons. One, he wrote it so that must be true. Secondly, the six movies cover from his youth to his redemption. However, I feel that the last three movies (or first three movies in release order) are actually the story of Luke. The development of Darth Vader is only revealed through small parts and verbal snipits. Any thoughts on this topic?

bobafrett
04-24-2005, 10:54 PM
I had heard sometime ago that the story was the saga through the droids C-3PO and R2-D2, the only two characters who would go through all 6 (or 9) episodes. But George is entitled to change his mind, just as he has done with his films, over and over again. Next thing you know, it will be about the rise and fall of Jar Jar.

Beast
04-24-2005, 11:20 PM
The story was supposed to be revealed as being told from the droid's point of view. But since they'll likely never do Episode IX, we'll never see that played out on film. As for the movies being about Anakin Skywalker, I agree... they are. In fact the films boil down to the Skywalker family. From his youth, to jedi knighthood, to his fall, death, and rebirth as Darth Vader. And then his story carries on, while it also expands to tell the stories of his children in a backdrop of a galactic civil war. And ends with his death, and final redemption in the force. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
04-25-2005, 12:10 AM
Our children are our legacy. Or something stupid like that.

Kidhuman
04-25-2005, 12:31 AM
Our children are our legacy.

I thought the children were our future.....

JON9000
04-25-2005, 09:43 AM
SW is about the same thing the Godfather is about, except in space and with a happier angle.

Kidhuman
04-25-2005, 10:05 AM
Well if that is true, Luke needs to take over the empire.

trandoshan666
04-25-2005, 12:37 PM
I agree that ultimately the story is about Vader. But I don't think that really was the case prior to the writing of ROTJ. To me, that's when it became clear that Star Wars was about the return of a once-good man. That feeling wasn't evident in ANH or ESB.

Deoxyribonucleic
04-25-2005, 12:57 PM
Let's see, first it's about the droids, then it's about Luke Skywalker, NOW it's about Darth Vader :rolleyes: Lucas changes his mind like he changes underwear for crying out loud! He doesn't even know how to keep up with the crazy web of crap he's weaved over the years!

Ay Carumba!

2-1B
04-25-2005, 01:24 PM
You'd rather he change his drawers less often ? :confused:

JON9000
04-25-2005, 05:22 PM
Well if that is true, Luke needs to take over the empire.
Therein lies the happier angle!

JediTricks
04-25-2005, 07:36 PM
I think Lucas doesn't know what this story is about. Before he made Star Wars, there were so many changes, so many different main characters; and once it was made it was obviously Luke the main character and possibly Obi-Wan (and through him, the Force) whom the story was about, Darth Vader is only a main villain and there's major doubt as to whether Darth Vader was intended to be Anakin at that point. Then it was the droids, how they saw all this amazing stuff, then eventually he said it was Anakin Skywalker when he made the 3rd film, and it just keeps changing. It seems like he really doesn't know what he wants, but he wants to keep outsiders on their toes and keeps changing the "history" to make it seem like he was always right and far more mystical than he actually is.

Deoxyribonucleic
04-25-2005, 10:51 PM
You'd rather he change his drawers less often ? :confused:

Sniff...Sniff

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

bobafrett
04-25-2005, 11:00 PM
I think Lucas doesn't know what this story is about.

Kinda like the whole Greedo shot first thing. We now have 3 different versions (or more) on that alone. :eek:

Darth Chicken Head
05-06-2005, 09:40 PM
ok so DV saves luke ..throws the EMP down the shaft ...the death star was still going down cuz of chewie so the bad guys were done for any way . how does DV earn redemption ?? he wipes out 99.9% of all jedis , including little kids , helps EMP take over in the 1st place AND destroys jimmi smitts and all his buds , but still he's redemed . dont see it . :stupid: i hated that whole scene with him , yoda and ben at the end of rotj ..hey ben , i killed/sent you on your way ..lets hang out , dude . dont forget all the other stuff and thousands of lives he helped ended ( boba fett , jabba ect..) the guys still a jerk-#$@ in a spam suit .:nerv: , sorry DV lovers , but he did torure hot ayace leiah with the probe driod ..didnt you get that deleted scene on your tri copy ??