PDA

View Full Version : Revenge of the Sith Target Collector's Cases

decadentdave
04-24-2005, 10:33 PM
Just picked up a few 5-Packs of these at Target tonight. I was intrigued because the cases are identical to the one included with the Lava Vader figure with one shortcoming: the background image of Vader's helmet in the fiery lava (like the Lava Vader figure) is only one per pack. Why they didn't include one for each case is frustrating. Also, they are $9.99 for each 5-pack. They are seriously overpriced. For ten bucks I should get 10 cases... it's that simple. And the cases do nmot fit very well over the Revenge of the Sith blister cards very well, in fact, the cardboard peg hook will easily get bent inside of the case as happened to my Lava Vader figure.
I applaud Hasbro for making these avalailable to collectors but it kind of missed the mark. My advice: Wait for clearance. I'm sure these will be marked down to $1.94 within 3 months.

Turbowars
04-24-2005, 11:04 PM
Why buy them at all if they don't fit? Star Case makes one for ROTS cards, they fit and are 1.25 each.

decadentdave
04-24-2005, 11:52 PM
Star Cases may make something that at least fits but frankly I'm not impressed with the design of the case. What I did like about the Hasbro case was the fact that it was similar to the OTC Vintage cases and has the embossed Revenge of the Sith logo on the back. Once I snapped the case over a figure though, I realized that it wasn't big enough to go over the blister peg hook withough bending or warping. I then looked at my Lava Vader figure to inspect and noticed that the blister hook was also bent. All this time I had a Lava Vader figure that was in less than mint condition and never noticed. Now I'm :mad:

I only opened one pack and tried it on a few figures. I may end up returning the other pack for a refund. As for the Star Cases, I'd rather just buy some storage totes to put my figures in.

Kidhuman
04-25-2005, 12:35 AM
If they dont fit the figs, why buy em at clearance time? Do they fit older figures?

decadentdave
04-25-2005, 01:04 AM
Actually, just tried to fit an OTC fig in it. No way. Too small. These are worthless. I'm taking them back. Even the opened box. I'll complain if I have to get my money back. Man, it was a great idea but obviously not executed right. I'm really disappointed. I wonder if most of the Lava Vader's out there are affected by this. Just when I thought Hasbro was really responding to the Collector market. :(

Here's a few examples. The first image is my Lava Vader. As you can see, the peg hook on the blister has warped and bent inside of the tight case. The second image is a figure that I carefully encased inside of one of the Target cases. It was a TIGHT fit and I'm sure over time it will begin to warp and crease just like the Vader figure.

CrunchyNug
04-25-2005, 01:44 AM
Here's a question for you. Do you have a Target Clone to compare with? Apparently the clamshell that comes with the Clone is larger than the one that comes with Vader, and additionally, it's much sturdier too. I had no problems fitting other ROTS figures into the shell that came with the Clone. I wonder if the 5-packs are the smaller size?!

My Vader fits fine in the Clone shell...it just doesn't have that cool "1 in 50,000" orange stickers.

decadentdave
04-25-2005, 01:53 AM
Where did you get your Lava Vader figure Crunchy? It should have the sticker on the case. Did you order yours online?

Haven't found the Target Clone Trooper yet. The cases are the SAME size as my Lava Vader case. If Hasbro fixed it for the Clone Trooper but produced the cases off the old Vader mold, that really sucks. Obviously they were aware of some packaging problems and "fixed" it for the Clone Trooper. I'll bet they already had the cases produced and ready to ship so instead of doing a recall, they let them go. Man, there's gonna be a LOT of angry collectors out there and I'm one of them!
:frus:

eshulmire
04-25-2005, 05:04 AM
Be careful target is not collector friendly at all. They wont stock when they are low and if you get a figure or ship that is damaged or broken they wont take it back.The lava reflection Vader is pretty hard to get almost as bad as the clear yoda.Target seems to miss one point all or most of this stuff will be clearance within three months .So you can sell it to me now at full price or you can **** me off and I will come back when your clearance stuff at 75 percent off your choice.I hate target almost as much as toys-r-us they both pretty much discriminate against collectors.But collectors should be considered customers. :frus:

Hellboy
04-25-2005, 04:30 PM
Well this isn't good news. I just picked up a few Target exclusive Clone Troopers and was really impressed with the clamshell. I figured this package of Collector's Cases was going to be exactly the same but I guess not.

Where did you get your Lava Vader figure Crunchy? It should have the sticker on the case. Did you order it online?

He just removed his Vader from it's original case and used the Clone Trooper case instead. The difference between the two (besides the sticker) is Vader's case has a single hole on the top for peg hanging while the CT's case has the standard "J" peg. Vader's case also has bubbles under the front of the case so it can stand where the CT case is more in line with the style of the VOTC clamshells. The CT case also has a much sturdier build, nowhere near as brittle and thin as the Vader case was.

plasticfetish
04-25-2005, 06:34 PM
Be careful target is not collector friendly at all. :frus:I really doubt that they'd refuse to give you a refund if you returned something that was defective, as long as you had your receipt.

I know you're PO'd at Target because they wouldn't bring stock out from the stockroom for you--and it's agreed that they could/should have been a lot cooler about it--but their policy isn't a new thing, so don't go acting so shocked.

-----

I haven't seen any of these (I didn't bother with the lava Vader either) but I'll bet that a new version of the case is on the way. The price sucks though, I'll be sticking with Star Case.

megaprime33
04-25-2005, 06:46 PM
WHo made these cases anyway, was it hasbro? Wouldnt you think that they would do some sort of testing first to see if they would actually fit the figures without damaging them? That's pretty bad IMO

JediTricks
04-25-2005, 08:49 PM
I bet Hasbro didn't take the proper amount of shrinkage into account, the plastic shrinks as it cools, different thicknesses and different materials shrink at different rates, and it seems like they missed the boat. They were just crowing about how great these are on their website today too.

Captain_John_Solo
04-26-2005, 02:55 AM
I bought a package of these things thinking they would fit perfectly and they didnt.. i had to take an exacto knife and carefully cut a slit near the top so the j hook part of the ROTS packaging wouldnt bend. i regret spending 10 bucks on this thing..

plasticfetish
04-26-2005, 03:44 AM
OK, I saw a bunch of these tonight. Just from holding a figure up next to one you can kind'a tell they're too short. Oh well...

CrunchyNug
04-26-2005, 12:17 PM
It appears that the cases are infact the Vader cases. There's a pic from the Hasbro site which shows the cases with the hole punch, not a j-hook.

J-hook = cards fit (Clone)
hole punch = cards NOT fit (Vader)

www.hasbro.com/starwars/pl/page.news/newsID.7A140BE5-D56F-E112-431048FE5DB47B3E/default.cfm

decadentdave
04-26-2005, 01:25 PM
So is Hasbro going to ship the Clone Trooper cases out in the 5-packs?!?!? That really blows if they just plan on selling the small Vader cases that DO NOT FIT!!!! What will happen is the 5-packs WILL NOT SELL and there will be lots of returns from angy customers and then Target will not purchase any more exclusives or carry large quantities of Star Wars figures because they will get burned. Hasbro had better do something about this. I'd be embarrassed if I was them.

AmanaMatt
04-26-2005, 01:51 PM
At my local Target, I scored a load of new stuff including the Target Trooper exclusive - fig seems to fit decent enough within the clamshell....

Darth_Bane
04-26-2005, 09:18 PM
My Lava Vader is warped alittle at the top from the case as well, and all this time I thought it was just my bad luck! I was going to go to Target this week to try to find 41-44, and to pick up some collector's cases, but now I think I'll pass, thanks for the info, sorry you had to go through all the hassle though.

thoughtcrime
04-27-2005, 08:21 AM
That sucks dude. This is precisely why I don't bother chasing down everything with a SW logo on it anymore. I got tired of getting burned.

sithspider
04-28-2005, 09:09 PM
I bought these the other night with my target clone an i was wondering if any one has gotten these to work other then cutting them. I was looking at my lava vader and it is in the case perfectly no bends or anything. But the clone case is bigger there is more of a space above the card. I bought these for my holo yoda, red guard an blu saber palp I was going to color copy the lava background so i could use it in the other cases. But i don't wanna open them if there going to mess up my cards.

sith_killer_99
04-28-2005, 09:17 PM
They don't fit! I made the mistake of buying one pack just to see if it was just an isolated case of the cards being just a bit to tight. None of the ones I have tried work!

I ended up putting my Holo Yoda in the Clone Case, since I bought an extra to open. :D Plus is has the neat background.

I suggest everyone buy the Star 3 case for their EPIII figures. :Pirate:

decadentdave
04-29-2005, 11:02 AM
HA! Guess what? We're not the only ones! Look what Yakface just posted today on their site:

Target Star Case Problems
April 29, 2005 | 8:17 AM EST | Bill

Yak Reader Drew sent in this report:

I can't get the figures into the star cases from Target without bending the top of the cardboard on the package. They don't fit!

None of the 5 I bought fit, and I tried all the figures I have. It clearly says only for Episode III figures only, but they don't fit.

I can't be that stupid not to be able to figure out how to put them in a Star Case, so either I got a bad batch or Target royaly screwed up!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!! lol

decadentdave
05-06-2005, 12:39 AM
Recalled! Bout friggin' time!!! lol

eshulmire
05-06-2005, 01:44 AM
Well target/Hasbro strikes again. In the mad rush to get another exclusive item out to soak collectors for there money.It appears no one tried to even put a carded figure in the case what a bunch of malcontents. I hope that target and Hasbro will quit with al the exclusives already I am glad to see them get burned. :D

eshulmire
05-06-2005, 01:57 AM
Haw haw haw haw haw ! :crazed:

decadentdave
05-06-2005, 03:17 AM
I actually returned my unopen pack to Target today. When the lady at the Guest Services desk asked me if there was anything wrong with it, I told her, "Yeah, they don't fit and have been recalled," she looked at me like she didn't know what I was talking about. After getting my refund, I went back to the action figure aisle and there were about a dozen of the packs still sitting on the shelf. Woe be the ignorant collector who buys them. I'm wondering how long before we'll see the Clone Trooper sized clamshell replacements. It may be a month or two before Hasbro can ship these back out. By then, the momentum for ROTS toys will begin to diminish. You got to wonder what kind of Quality Control they have at Hasbro. I'd have somebody's butt for this one.