PDA

View Full Version : Target stores hate Star Wars collectors

eshulmire
04-25-2005, 02:58 PM
Well I have to say that sounds pretty strong but hear is what I have to back it up. Saturday I went into one of my local target stores to purchase any new star wars figures that may have been put out. When I reached the toy section I saw that most of the episode three figures were sold out and there was some empty space.I grabbed a collection 1 and a collection 2 figure and placed it under the price checker.To my surprise it said that there were some of each collection in the back so I called my handy target person to bring some out and stock them. A very nice young and obviously new person came over agreed that the area needed to be stocked and went on her way to stock the figures. She returned with what I believe was some sort of sales lead who said we do not stock collectables during the day. I asked why she replied we only stock them at 8 am. I asked the question again why? She replied so every one can get them. She then said we do not cater to or help collectors and walked away. I was sunned and went to look for a manager. I found a shift manager a few minutes later who explained to me that they do not stock during the day for collectable toys even if there is some in the back stock room. I stated to him that I was a customer and a collector and that I was in his store and wanted to spend money on star wars figures. He said I do not care you are a collector and that is it and walked away. When did we become the scourge of the universe to target I simply wan to spend my money without any hassle. I think this in a way is discrimination and when I called the corporate office, I got the same answer from every one I spoke to.
If you feel the same way you can call them @1-800-440-0680 or email them at guest.relations@target.com Maybe together we can change how we are treated call or email them today. :frus:

Ji'dai
04-25-2005, 03:55 PM
I agree, you've experienced some very, very, very poor customer service. "Collectible stocking" policy notwithstanding, I don't understand the unwilingness to retrieve in stock merchandise from the stock room at a customer request. Especially if there wasn't any stock on the sales floor and the store was not especially busy.

I don't have a Target locally but my limited experience with them retrieving in stock merchandise from the stock room has been positive. I've had employees willing to scour the back room for the 12" Speederbike & Biker Scout and the POTF2 Y-Wing for me, as well as the SAGA Accessory Packs. Since I drove 100 miles to shop at a Target in order to buy these exclusives, I'm glad the employees were willing to go into the stockroom and find them for me.

You can use the 'edit post' button to delete the duplicate part of your rant.

JediTricks
04-25-2005, 07:09 PM
I took care of the doubled-up post and moved the thread to Gen Disc (Comments/Suggestions is about site issues).

Target's policy is posted at most of their stores, they call it an "collectibles policy" but it seems so scalper-friendly that I can't imagine why they even bother selling collectibles at all. As someone who has worked retail, I do understand why they are like this when it gets so inconvenient, but it's bad business when they are turning away customers simply because a policy prevents them from restocking.

bobafrett
04-25-2005, 11:08 PM
I had the same rotten experience tonight when I went into a Target store. I will be calling that number you provided, I also sent an e-mail off to the stores headquarters. I explained to the jerks at the store that I just wanted one figure, the Target exclusive clonetrooper. They all gave me the same sorry story you said eshulmire. I left without buying the other SW items I had, and my face was Target red. They will be lucky if I ever go back into the stores again.

JON9000
04-26-2005, 11:42 AM
I took care of the doubled-up post and moved the thread to Gen Disc (Comments/Suggestions is about site issues).

Target's policy is posted at most of their stores, they call it an "collectibles policy" but it seems so scalper-friendly that I can't imagine why they even bother selling collectibles at all. As someone who has worked retail, I do understand why they are like this when it gets so inconvenient, but it's bad business when they are turning away customers simply because a policy prevents them from restocking.

What's going on here? Is Target doing this to keep collectors or scalpers from asking employees to give them all the good figures, thereby giving everybody (kids) an equal chance, or are they doing it because they are tired of employees spending too much time in the back searching when they are needed elsewhere in the store?

If it is the former, I would suggest stocking collectibles on a random schedule so scalpers cannot just show up and horde everything. As for the overall rationale, I agree with it completely, although this might not be the best way to go about it.

If the latter, well, it's a business, and Target seems to be telling collectors loud and clear to deal with it or take a hike. So, take a hike.

To be honest, when I worked in retail in college, I noticed a certain obvious disdain among my co-workers for what were called "Star Wars Nazis". The prevalent attitude among those who make $6 an hour was: who cares if some geek gets R2-D2? But there is a way to deal with these people and get them to do what you want them to do:

first of all, treat the sales person with respect. When I worked retail (a position that had zero power), whenever I sensed an attitude on the part of the customer, they were finished as far as help (although they did not know it). :classic: (BTW, I would watch how I treat waitstaff as well, otehrwise you might find your lobster-bisque specially seasoned).

secondly, make them want to help you. Tell them you've been all over looking and you would really appreciate it if they could help you. Do not sound frustrated, rather, sound desperate. The fact is that retail is a thankless piece of crap of a job, and if a SA can feel s/he is really helping a customer out (rather than fulfilling said customer's lousy sense of entitlement) in a more personal way, they will go a mile to help, even if it means finding a special figure. Trust me, Target probably doesn't have these figures under lock and key.

lastly, when you don't get your way, avoid making a scene and turning into a child throwing a tantrum. If a store has a policy, it really isn't the associate's fault. That's how a term like "Star Wars Nazi" gets around.

CaptainSolo1138
04-26-2005, 12:58 PM
It's a store policy. Deal with it. I'm sure Hot Wheels guy doesn't like it either.

They are tired of employees spending too much time in the back searching when they are needed elsewhere in the store.

That's a major part of it. Bratz were lumped into this "collectible" catagory when I worked there. I recall one Sunday morning (ad day is always the busiest) when Bratz were on sale ("OH!! A whole dollar off!!! Let's rip the toy department to pieces!!!") and one of the proverbial soccer moms had me searching high and low for whatever one her daughter needed. I made an off hand comment to my team lead about this nut and was told to tell her we had no more cases in the back. Once what was on the shelves was depleted, more were put out.

I understand the frustration of knowing that there are SW figs in the back and you can't have them. But it's not like most collectors would be satisfied with the team member bringing out a case and filling the pegs. "Is that all you have?" "Well, what I'm really looking for is..." "Can you bring out another case?" "Well, can you just go see if you have collection 'x' and get me 'x' figure out of it?"

It would turn into an instance of giving an inch and taking a mile.

LusiferSam
04-26-2005, 01:33 PM
I just find it odd that they won't restock in the middle of the day. Most retail businesses if you ran that way, you'd run them into the ground. I'm not talking about a customer request, I'm talking about an employ who seeing that an area that needs to be restocked and can't because of the store policy. You can't sell what's not on the shelf. And you'd think they would rather sell it than sit on it.

kool-aid killer
04-26-2005, 02:30 PM
This is a two way street: on one hand Target employees should be doing what they can do to assist a customer and on the other hand the customer (or collector in our case) should be aware of what the policy is regarding things like toys. Im sure we have all seen the signs that say no employee is to be asked to check in the back, so why bother asking? Its important that the employees are not treated like crap by us consumers, because that leads to us being labeled "Star Wars Nazis" and facing even more resentment or dislike from them. Ive yet to hear of any retail employee who changed their ways because someone blew up on them about toys. Lets not make this hobby even more frustrating then it already is. While it would be nice to for employees to check the back stock room, i wouldnt go in expecting it as an obligation of theirs.

Rocketboy
04-26-2005, 08:01 PM
When did they change this policy?
Target used to stock their Star Wars figures at random times of the day, back when they were the hottest toy out there (Special Edition time, IIRC).
I remember a small sign stating they did it so that everyone had a fair chance to get whatever they had. If they did it in overnight then scalpers would know to show up when the store opened and be able to clean them out.

But there is still no excuse for them to treat their customers like **** though.
All they have to do is apologize and tell the customer it's store policy.

CaptainSolo1138
04-26-2005, 09:03 PM
When did they change this policy?

It was like that when I began working there in late 2001.

InsaneJediGirl
04-26-2005, 10:06 PM
I remember the little sign too,they were posted all over Star Wars and Hot Wheels.I cant really blame them for not wanting to stock and have a bunch of collectors to annoy them. On the flipside,they do want repeat business and making the shelves look full kind of helps.

On the flip side,I know how early to arrive at Target now for the best picks :)

Deoxyribonucleic
04-26-2005, 10:21 PM
I left without buying the other SW items I had, and my face was Target red.

HA! That was funny! :D lol Not funny that you had to be mad of course ;)

It's weird, I work at Barnes & Noble and I go into the backroom at least 50 times a day to look for books for people that aren't out on the sales floor. Not once has any of us ever denied a customer a book if it's in the stockroom. My experience with getting books from the stockroom for customers is always nice too because they are so thankful you went back there to get it for them. I guess that's why Barnes & Noble has some of the best customer service around...are we spoiling people though?? :eek: ;)

bobafrett
04-26-2005, 10:48 PM
I want to say, that tonight I stopped at a Target store East of the one I went to yesterday. I asked if they could see if they had any of the DCPI # for the SA Target Exclusive Clonetrooper. I nice lady looked it up in the system, but came up with 54 items, she started going through the list. She called back on her walkie talkie to the backroom, and asked for a location check. They replied that they had the item I was looking for. She asked how many I wanted, "two", I replied. Within 3 minutes, they brought the figures to the register and the woman who checked for me, also rang me up with just minutes left before closing. I am a vary happy camper again! I just won't shop at the store that gave me the cold shoulder now.

Kidhuman
04-26-2005, 11:30 PM
I have never had a bad expierince in Target. I ask them to scan the tags and they get me whatever they have if need be. They even let me look at the guns readings if no more are in the back. The last time I asked if they had other figutres, they scanned the tags and told/showed me they had three of the same cases thatwere clogging pegs. Guess it all depends on the person

scruffziller
04-27-2005, 02:46 PM
I am not sure about how it works at Wal Mart. I have never heard anything like that. BF, what probably happened is that the store managers/staff of each store can exercise the policy as loose or as tightly as they like as with alot of other policies. Or they were ignorant of the fact to your advantage. One thing I have heard though(at WM) is that employees cannot hold onto items in the back room and then take them to buy. It is a fireable offense. It is called "shopping the backroom" or downstocking or holdstocking, something like that.

eshulmire
05-05-2005, 02:55 AM
Where do they get off calling us Nazis. Thatís crap they are a retail establishment who is in the business to make money. When i go there to spend it i donít want any bull from them and there high on crack employees. It is discrimination not to sell an item to someone because they are labeled a collector and not a customer. They keep the stuff in back until everybody has gone elsewhere like toys r us or Wal-Mart to buy it and then they put it out clearanced. I got a deluxe lea and animan for a 1.48 each. I would have happily paid full price when they came out but now target just lost almost 20.00 dollars you do the math. If its in the back you aint makein money on it. They put out all these adds and even changed there website to advertise star wars toys. However when you go into the store itís all the same figures and there are empty pegs. I think target should change there logo to a swastika it would fit them better. No star wars figures for you! I am sure that the lovely pot smokers who stock the toys would never take a really hot item for themselves to sell on eBay. So all you folks who defend target put down the crack pipe and get off your sister and wipe it on her diaper. We are in this together and fellow collectors arenít the enemy. :D

eshulmire
05-06-2005, 08:28 PM
-----Original Message-----
From: Target Guest Relations [mailto:guest.relations@target.com]
Sent: Friday, May 06, 2005 3:51 PM
To: E Shulmire
Subject: Your Comments About Collectible and High-Demand Items at Target

Dear E Shulmire,

As you can imagine, there's been a lot of excitement about the availability
of Star Wars merchandise at our stores. We want all of our guests to have a
fair chance to buy these items if they wish, so we've set up some
guidelines for how we sell this product:

- Stores may decide to display small amounts of collectible merchandise at
one time to ensure a fair shopping experience for all guests.
- We can't check our stockrooms for availability or hold merchandise.
- Each storecan set limits for the number of items they'll sell to an
individual guest.
- We don't allow our team members advance access to merchandise; they're
only welcome to make purchases when they aren't working and during regular
store hours.

Great products. Great value. And a great shopping experience -- every time
you visit our stores. That's what Target is all about. Your feedback is a
big help to us, and I'll make sure to share your comments with our Store
Operations team.

Thanks for shopping withus. We'll see you again soon at Target.

Sincerely,

Heather
Target Guest Relations
www.target.com

Shove your policy up your *** I am not going into you're ****ing stores anymore and I am posting all you're bull **** online to other collectors and they are writing and calling your stores to complain. You're night stock crews take the items and sell them on eBay so if you want it you have to pay double or triple the normal price. If you wanted all your guests to have a fair chance then you would flood the ****ing store with them and limit maybe two to a customer. Instead you let you're store employees go threw the back and shop. You are ****ing hypocrites and you treat collectors lower then dog ****. You just want to be in control of the items you put out so you can play ****ing little games with people. You're store people tell me to come in at 8 am if I want to purchase items what the **** is that about. Why can't you stock throughout the day so everybody has a chance and scalpers who make a living selling those items on eBay. In addition, if I come in at 8 am there is not **** there anyway so shove that up you're *** too. I would be glad to see you mother ****ers just stop selling toys all together. You are so rude too people you call collectors that just asking one of your high on crack staff a simple question about a star wars item they get all ****ed off and treat you like crap. I have spoken to guest relations numerous times about the treatment I have received from your staff and they could care less. I got into a yelling match with the manager at one of you're stores by just telling him I had an employee tell me to **** off under her breath because I asked wither or not if they were going to get a certain item in stock. You are allowing your store people to treat collectors differently simply because we collect toys. Well if you cant have respect for me then I have no respect for you or you're ****ing store so you all can go **** yourselves you Nazi ****ing pigs I hope you go out of business to wall mart you pig ****ers! :frus:

dr_evazan22
05-18-2005, 07:05 PM
I don't mean offense eshulmire, but if that's the type of attitude you give these stores, then I have no problem believing they won't / don't do anything to help you.

InsaneJediGirl
05-18-2005, 09:04 PM
Yeah,it has to be a bit counterproductive.

If you are nice,maybe smile a bit (be sure to brush your teeth :D ) and ask nicely,"policy" might change.Depends from store to store in my opinion,everyone has their own style of running things,I've especially noticed this since I have moved. Stock people are so much more nicer than the ones in Florida,must be that piney air here ;)

darthdeogg
05-19-2005, 09:52 AM
It figures the first lame-oid excuse to come out is that they cater to scalpers. Sheesh. Get a new copout!

Be nice about it to them and 9 times out of 10 they'll be nice to you. It's NOT that hard. I have had ZERO problems like this with a Target employee (and I live in an area that is infested with Hot Wheels scalpers *and yes they are true scalpers, I've seen them at their *best*). Or with a TRU employee for that matter. Being nice about it makes all the difference.

CaptainSolo1138
05-19-2005, 09:58 AM
The problem with your statement,darthdeogg, is that you're preaching to the choir :p . I don't know how this thread is still going......

JediTricks
05-20-2005, 01:57 AM
You know, each time I've seen Lava Vader and the Clone at my Target (once each), it's because they were put out in the afternoon. I think their policy needs to be consistant if they want the collector community's respect... if they want more of their patronage they should try always putting out product after kids get out of school and adults get off work. :p

plasticfetish
05-20-2005, 04:01 AM
if they want more of their patronage they should try always putting out product after kids get out of schoolI think that nails it. They should be stocking toys either an hour or so before school's out, just after, or even... only on the weekends when the rest of the non-scalper world might be there.

Assuming from Target's general attitude of dislike toward collectors that they mostly want this stuff going to the kids, I don't think stocking at 7 a.m. on a weekday is going to encourage that.

At this point I think it's obvious that Target wins with the current situation. The scalpers spend their money, and Target wants that. The collectors will continue to hunt, coming in again and again especially if they can't find an "exclusive" figure (or whatever) on the first try. Most of us are impulse shoppers, and that's fine with Target because they want our money one way or the other. They don't care what we buy. If it takes us 50 visits to find something, then Target has managed to suck us into the store 50 times. They'll always win.

Oh wait... does this mean that exclusive or limited edition figures are really just a part of some retail ploy to get us into the stores? They have little or nothing to do with pleasing us as customers and fans of a particular product? Oh my gosh! :rolleyes:

The fact that they don't stock strictly to benefit kids, tells a lot about what and who they really care about. Mostly it seems to be themselves. Maybe the next time one of us wanders into a store and asks about something -- and the clerk or stocker rolls their eyes -- maybe it's not a bad idea to politely remind them that we help to pay their bills also.

Now, as far as calling them "Nazi ****ing pigs" goes, I think maaaaybe that's a little extreme. It might be time to try stamp collecting or something instead.

Dar' Argol
05-20-2005, 10:39 PM
I am not sure about how it works at Wal Mart. I have never heard anything like that. BF, what probably happened is that the store managers/staff of each store can exercise the policy as loose or as tightly as they like as with alot of other policies. Or they were ignorant of the fact to your advantage. One thing I have heard though(at WM) is that employees cannot hold onto items in the back room and then take them to buy. It is a fireable offense. It is called "shopping the backroom" or downstocking or holdstocking, something like that.

The deal with WM is that Employees are not allowed to hold stuff for themselves in the back (also called UnderStocking). But there is nothing that stops them at anytime from going to the back to look for something for you. I can recall before I left WM, as a Bike Dept manager going to the back several times looking for toys for customers. Its just good customer service. Its the kind of thing that will bring customers back to your store. IMO the policy Target has is absolute crap! That is no way to encourage your customers to return. It is no way to make money. If I was to walk into a Target with $200 and say I wanted some SW figs, and they tell me they will not look in the back just to RESTOCK THE SHELVES!?!?! A call to that home office would be made, a call/letter to the CEO would be done to infom them how they lost a $200 sale, and I would inform them that their competitor, Wal-Mart, who has no problems helping me with all of my requests, will be getting my $200.

Its down right rude, ignorant, snobbish, and just plain bad buisness. To even have a policy like this is discrimiatory(sp). What are they going to do when the ROTS DVD comes out and they "Run out of it on the shelve"??? Refuse to go back and get more because of this policy??? I never really like Target due to their uppidy attitude and now this is one more reason . . .

JEDIpartner
05-21-2005, 06:20 PM
The problem with Target is that, collectibles or not, these are pieces of product that should be on the pegs before the store opens. Their failure to replenish the stock during the overnight shift should not affect a customer in any way shape or form. I can understand if they denied you access to stockroom figures when the pegs were jammed but this scenario is completely ludicrous.

Target did a similarly idiotic thing to me a couple years ago. I was purchasing a deluxe droid factory Threepio and a couple of the Target exclusive accessory packs along with a deluxe Yoda and Geonosian for Jedi Drew. The cashier was told by the manager that I would have to choose which two items I was going to buy because the policy read "only two of each item could be purchased in order to prevent hoarding." I told the manager that she must have misinterpreted the verbage on the sign and that they REALLY meant that two of each figure (2 clone troopers, 2 deluxe Yodas or whatever) could not be purchased. She interpreted this as each customer could only purchase two Star Wars items.

Idiots.

I feel for you...

JediTricks
05-22-2005, 04:50 PM
At one time, Target employees were limiting "collectibles" purchases to 3 collectibles per customer, for a while I stopped going to Target because of that. Reading the signs they had up, it did indeed say that.

bobafrett
05-22-2005, 10:18 PM
eshulmire, I got that same message from the Target Guest relations. I just found it in my e-mail, and it matches word for word. I thought I was getting a form letter, this proves it. No matter, I ended up getting my clone troopers from another Target, and with only smiles, I used the "nice" attitude, and it worked, amazing.

JON9000
05-23-2005, 10:38 AM
No matter, I ended up getting my clone troopers from another Target, and with only smiles, I used the "nice" attitude, and it worked, amazing.

"If you want to gather honey, don't kick over the beehive."

-Dale Carnegie

It amazes me how many people run around thinking they will get whatever they want by simply being a bully. Having the proper attitude will get you far.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-27-2005, 09:33 PM
well, i did some massive hunting today and had a DELIGHTFUL experience with Target. I was heading home and wanted to hit some Target stores, but i didn't know which one. I called a store and they had a few of the Clonetrooper 3-packs in stock. I asked very politely if she could possibly hold them for 20-25 minutes so i could make my rounds up there and she said it wouldn't be a problem. I arrived there soon, they were held for me and i had no issues. As long as Target is cool with me, they have my business. As they had all of the newest wave of deluxe figures today, they got A LOT of $$ from me. :crazed:

Kidhuman
05-28-2005, 08:53 AM
Wow, another good Target story, disporves the header of this thread yet again...

sith_killer_99
05-28-2005, 09:22 AM
I have heard stories both ways. Like I have said, my local Target has always worked well for me. :)