PDA

View Full Version : Battle Droids heads fall off

Jedibill
04-26-2005, 03:54 PM
Has anyone else noticed the Battle droids heads are falling off in the package I've seen a few of these at wal-mart in the last week or so.

evenflow
04-26-2005, 04:44 PM
I noticed it as well. I only saw one though.

Ji'dai
04-26-2005, 05:29 PM
Sounds like Hasbro out-sourced Battle Droid production to McFarlane this time around.

Hellboy
04-26-2005, 06:00 PM
the Battle droids heads are falling off

Of course they are, this is afterall the same BD we got in the Saga assortment. Those had the same problem as well as the entire figure sagging over time (especially when displayed in warm temperatures) because of the thin rubbery plastic they used. :dis:

I'd recommend leaving the clear rubber bands that come attached to the BD's head in place to prevent this from happening. I decided to pass on this repack/repaint but thats what I did with my Saga BD's to solve the problem.

Blackened88
04-26-2005, 07:07 PM
Just wondering how are these BD different from Ep.I's BD?

Hellboy
04-26-2005, 07:37 PM
They're an entirely different mold than the EP1 BDs. Those were made of sturdier plastic that doesn't warp/bend with an increase in the temp. and they had articulation at the knees while the Saga/ROTS legs are stuck in the walking position. The Saga/ROTS BD also has a peg on the chest so you can attach the blast effect that was included with the Saga version. The EP1 BDs had 4 different paint schemes (slashed, blasted, dark brown, clean) while Saga had two different color variations (tan and rust color.) So far there is only one color variation (dark brown) of the ROTS BD.

Blackened88
04-26-2005, 08:04 PM
So which is better?

Hellboy
04-26-2005, 08:28 PM
IMHO, the EP1 BD is far superior but I'd still like to see another version of this droid produced at some point. One made along the same lines as the EP1 version but with the ability to completely fold up as seen in TPM when they're being unloaded onto the battlefield. A rust colored variant would be nice too so I can replace the constantly sagging BD's in my Geonosis Arena display.

beckmen
04-27-2005, 12:31 AM
I have tons of TPM BDs so I never bought any of the Saga ones. They do look crappy, the only aspects I like are the way it can hold a blaster and the bases the ROS one come with, but that's not enough to make me pull the trigger.

They should re-tool this figure and make one with more articulation and a strong plastic and I'll buy it.

tgr3328
04-27-2005, 09:42 AM
The boomer-damaged battle droid from POTJ had good articulation and could fold up as well. It would have been far superior to use this sculpt rather that the one they turned out for Saga and ROTS.

Battle Droid (http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=potj/POTJbattleboomerfolded.jpg)

HighLordDave
04-27-2005, 01:09 PM
The TPM battle droids we better because their legs had bent at the knees. The new battle droids and SBDs are horrible figures. Plus, the way they have packaged the battle droids, the legs are warped, so when you open them and try to get them to stand, they're leaning to one side.

aricajade
04-27-2005, 01:20 PM
If you look at these Battle Droids the wrong way, their heads fall off. And as HighLordDave pointed out, their legs are warped badly too. My 4-yr-old tells me that he is "taking a rest" referring to this battle droid.

kool-aid killer
05-01-2005, 12:37 AM
I will throw in my agreement with those who have said the Episode 1's battle droid is better than the ROTS battle droid we are getting now. This one has a difficult time standing, even when using the little stand that came with, whereas the Ep 1 version was standing erect and could hold himself up with little trouble. But ive got an idea, once these start to sag too badly and end up warping the figure i plan on cutting them up and placing them around my dioramas so that they look like they were chopped and blasted up.

Scackmgack
05-01-2005, 08:46 PM
I like the red Saga BDs best, myself. The fact that they can hold their blaster rifles in two hands in that particular pose is what matters most to me. Get some figure stands and the weak plastic ceases to be a problem.

Devo
05-02-2005, 11:52 AM
Each version has its pros and cons as far as I can see.

The EpI version can fold up and is 'super-articulated' (not officially but I imagine it wouldn't get better). What it can't do though is hold the gun in two hands which is the standard gun-firing pose of the droids in the films. For dioramas this version works best in a droid line-up rather than engaged in battle. If you attempt to pose this figure running, obviously the stand is required but unfortunately that cannot stop the figure leaning over.

The Saga and ROTS versions' heads constantly fall off and their gun-supporting hand is warped with 'palm' twisted outwards so that what would otherwise be a great gun-holding pose is less effective than you'd hope. A shame considering that this is the only thing it has over the Episode I droid and it doesn't even get that right. However I am quite partial to the paintjob on the ROTS version, the colour is more accurate and detailed looking than we have seen before.

My two favourites are Episode I Oom-9 and POTJ security battle droid. The former's legs are still a bit skimpy and he is prone to leaning but otherwise he's excellant and I can't fault the security droid. Its a combat-ready pose and its pulled off superbly. It might be nice to get this one with the articulation of the Episode I battle droid.

Hellboy
05-02-2005, 05:05 PM
Get some figure stands and the weak plastic ceases to be a problem.

Actually I'm going to have to disagree with you on this point. I have all of my loose figures displayed on stands and have 30+ Saga BD's displayed in my Geonosis Arena diorama. Around 90% of these BD's start to sag after time especially in the hotter summer months and I've tried everything possible to keep this from happening. I've been lucky with a few of them but like I said the vast majority suffer from this problem. The legs just aren't strong enough to hold the weight of the body and eventually they start to lean one way or the other.

WesleySr
05-03-2005, 03:36 AM
Each version has its pros and cons as far as I can see.

The EpI version can fold up and is 'super-articulated' (not officially but I imagine it wouldn't get better). What it can't do though is hold the gun in two hands which is the standard gun-firing pose of the droids in the films. For dioramas this version works best in a droid line-up rather than engaged in battle. If you attempt to pose this figure running, obviously the stand is required but unfortunately that cannot stop the figure leaning over.

The Saga and ROTS versions' heads constantly fall off and their gun-supporting hand is warped with 'palm' twisted outwards so that what would otherwise be a great gun-holding pose is less effective than you'd hope. A shame considering that this is the only thing it has over the Episode I droid and it doesn't even get that right. However I am quite partial to the paintjob on the ROTS version, the colour is more accurate and detailed looking than we have seen before.

My two favourites are Episode I Oom-9 and POTJ security battle droid. The former's legs are still a bit skimpy and he is prone to leaning but otherwise he's excellant and I can't fault the security droid. Its a combat-ready pose and its pulled off superbly. It might be nice to get this one with the articulation of the Episode I battle droid.

Nice review, Devo. I couldn't agree with you more.

The only thing about the Ep1 version is the fact that there are 4 versions. The dirty/shot/sliced versions just look stupid lined up, and like you said, don't have to correct mold to be in a battle pose.

tgr3328
05-04-2005, 08:53 AM
A battle droid with AOTC/ROTS arms on an EP1 body would be great.

It really irritates me the way a figure gets worse each time they resculpt it. You would think that each incarnation would get a little better. Do you remember how the deluxe AOTC figures were worse than the basic figures? Would it have killed them to give elbow and knee articulation to the battle and super battle droids that came with the deluxe Yoda, C3PO, and Mace figures?

kool-aid killer
05-04-2005, 02:34 PM
Does the super Battle Droid suffer any type of problems, such as his legs warping? The figure is top heavy when compared to its chicken legs so i was just wondering if anything happens to it over time.

Hellboy
05-04-2005, 05:14 PM
I've never had a problem with any of my SBD's leaning over time. While none of the versions we've seen produced up to this point are what I'd consider a great figure they can at least support their own body weight.