PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Smith gives positive review for ROTS

James Boba Fettfield
04-27-2005, 10:46 AM
“Revenge of the Sith” is, quite simply, ****ing awesome. This is the “Star Wars” prequel the haters have been *****ing for since “Menace” came out, and if they don’t cop to that when they finally see it, they’re lying. As dark as “Empire” was, this movie goes a thousand times darker - from the triggering of Order 66 (which has all the Shock Troopers turning on the Jedi Knights they’ve been fighting beside throughout the Clone Wars and gunning them down), to the jaw-dropping Anakin/Obi Wan fight on Mustafar (where - after cutting his legs and arm off, Ben leaves Skywalker burning alive on the shores of a lava river, with Anakin spitting venomous sentiments at his departing mentor), this flick is so satisfyingly tragic, you’ll think you’re watching “Othello” or “Hamlet”.

I saw a gorgeous digitally projected version of the flick, and lemme tell ya’: this is a beautiful looking film. The opening space battle sequence is the best in any of the six “Star Wars” movies. Grievous and Kenobi’s lightsaber duel is bad-***, with Grievous rocking four sabers. The Clone Wars end rather early in the flick (about the halfway point), leaving the rest of the film to concentrate on Anakin’s turn to the Dark Side, and the resulting slaughter of the Jedi.

Perfect example of how dark **** gets: remember the Younglings - the kid Jedis in training from “Clones”? As a result of Order 66, when Anakin invades the Jedi Temple with an army of Clone Troopers, he enters the Council room to find a gaggle of said younglings hiding behind the seats. They see Anakin and emerge, asking “What should we do, Master Anakin?” The query’s met with a stone-cold Anakin firing up his lightsaber. The next time you see the kids, Yoda’s sifting through their corpses on the floor.

Yes, it’s just that dark - and rightfully so. This is the birth of Darth Vader we’re talking about. The only comic moments in the flick are given to R2D2, and while good, they’re all pretty few and far between; the order of the day is dark, dark, dark.

Ian McDiarmid and Ewan McGregor steal the show, but Hayden Christensen silences any naysayers who wrote him off as too whiney in “Clones”. This is the flick that feels closest to Episodes 4, 5, and 6, because - for the first time since “Return of the Jedi” - there is a clear villain. And for all the shadow-play Palpatine has been upto in the last two flicks, his treachery is about as subtle as John Williams’ score in “Sith.” Whether he’s slowly drawing Anakin toward the Dark Side during an opera/performance art piece with his promise of the Sith’s power of life over death, or he’s engaged in a balls-to-the-wall lightsaber duel in the Senate with Yoda, his “Little, green friend” (his words, not mine - which I kinda dug, because, interestingly, I think it’s the first time anyone’s acknowledged that Yoda is green in any of the “Star Wars” flicks), this is the Emperor’s movie.

The last fifteen minutes dovetail nicely into Episode 4 (or just plain “Star Wars” for you non-geeks), and the movie is full of link-up moments as well.

- At flick’s end, Threepio and Artoo are given to Captain Antilles (with the caveat that the Protocol’s memory be wiped).

- The twins, natch, are split up. Leia heads to Alderann with Bail Organa, and Obi Wan hands Luke over to Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru (indeed, the closing shot is Owen holding Luke while looking out over the setting suns of Tatooine - mimicking the shot of the adult Luke doing the same in “Star Wars”, complete with callback cue from Williams).

- After he succumbs to the Dark Side, Anakin tries to convine Padme that he can overthrow Palpatine, and together, he and Padme can rule the galaxy as husband and wife.

- Vader and the Emperor stand beside a younger Grand Moff Tarkin on the bridge of a Star Destroyer, overlooking the earliest construction stage of the Death Star.

- Yoda telling Obi Wan that, as he heads to Tatooine to hand over Luke and go into exile, that he should spend his time learning to commune with those who’ve crossed over to the next stage of life, as Yoda maintains he’s been doing with Qui Gon (and Ben will later do with both Luke and Yoda, in “Empire” and “Jedi”).

- And, hands-down, the best link-up to “Star Wars” moment that I enjoyed the most: Bail Organa and Yoda stepping into the hallway of the Rebel Blockade Runner that opened “Star Wars”. Unlike all the high-tech CGI wizardry of the rest of the prequel Trilogy, this is a low-tech looking set, right out of circa ‘77, and for some reason, it really captured my imagination. I mean, this is the same exact hallway in which we got our first look at Vader, oh so many years ago, and I appreciated the hell out of Mr. Lucas including it - because it really felt like a nod to the hardcores.

Look, this is a movie I was genetically predisposed to love. I remember being eight years old, and reading in “Starlog” that Darth Vader became the half-man/half-machine he was following a duel with Ben Kenobi that climaxed with Vader falling into molten lava. Now, twenty six years later, I finally got to see that long-promised battled - and it lived up to any expectation I still held. I was sad to see the flick end, but happy to know it’s not the end of the “Star Wars” universe entirely (I’ve read stuff about a TV show…).

“Sith” doesn’t happen; “Sith” rules.

http://www.newsaskew.com/blog/?m=20050427

2-1B
04-27-2005, 12:25 PM
Nice review from Kevvers there. :D

So what's up with Owen and Beru, we're still going to get to see them, right ? :(

Oh yeah, plus I don't think "the haters" are going to love this movie all that much, but maybe Kevin will be right about that ? :crazed:

stillakid
04-27-2005, 12:38 PM
Look at this review in perspective for a minute. Practically everything he mentions is merely titillating eye-candy. No one has ever disputed that the superficial stuff was necessarily bad. The overriding problems with the Prequels have been A) the lack of story, and B) the lack of story continuity with the OT. I'm sure that in a vacuum, all of those sequences he mentions are b1tchin' cool and will make fanboys pee in their inch-too-short Toughskins. But after all the hype dies down and people come off their "wasn't that part really neat!" adrenaline highs, cooler heads will prevail and attention will once again turn to the underlying foundation of story or non-story that exists or doesn't. THAT is what will make ROTS a great and long-lasting film experience or not. Anybody can wow an audience with superfluous spectacle, at least for a little while. But will they remember it 20 years from now...more importantly, will they want to remember it? That remains to be seen...

2-1B
04-28-2005, 02:15 AM
Hmmm . . . Kevin Smith, filmmaker (that means he's more "qualified" to comment on a film's quality than me, right ? ;) ) and he's NOT up in arms over George showing Anakin going into the suit ? :eek:

Those Hollywood Union types better reign this guy in - he's breaking rank from what a "quality story" is by praising this rubbish. :p

Bantha274
04-28-2005, 01:01 PM
This is just one man's opinion. No need to rip him a new one.

Maybe we should all just wait for the movie to come out and make our own opinions of it. Until then, we're all just crapping out of our mouths.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-28-2005, 09:37 PM
Dear God, I nearly s*at my pants when I read about Anakin and the younglings. This film is going to rule so hard. No matter what stillakid says.

stillakid
04-28-2005, 11:31 PM
Dear God, I nearly s*at my pants when I read about Anakin and the younglings. This film is going to rule so hard. No matter what stillakid says.

See, I haven't prejudged the movie prior to seeing it. But you have. So who is the more objective moviegoer in this situation? :sur:

rbaumhauer
04-28-2005, 11:37 PM
I hate to tell ya, but the movie being "dark, dark, dark" won't make it GOOD, and Lucas has already handicapped himself by releasing two marginally-watchable movies before getting around to the meat of the story.

To his credit, by screwing around so much with peripheral (in some cases, nonsensical) stuff in Eps 1 and 2, he has left himself with enough story for Ep 3 that even he probably can't screw it up too badly. Grievous still belongs in a completely different universe, the underlying logic of the saga can never really be reconstructed, but ROTS will, no doubt, be an awesome movie to see, finally.

Will it be a classic? Somehow, I don't think so - I don't honestly know if anyone is capable of making a sfx-laden space-fantasy movie in the current movie business and have it somehow become a "classic" that people will talk about for decades. There are just too many marketing/business decisions involved when you get to a movie of this scale and budget, and the sad thing is that the only guy who didn't really need to worry about whether his movie would find an audience still managed to screw the whole thing up.

I mean, how ironic is it that a guy who started out to make a movie about "primitive" people overthrowing an evil, technological Empire finds himself unable to make a movie without constantly losing sight of the important stuff in order to concentrate on some new bit of breakthrough movie-making technology? George Lucas, the guy who started his film career with a movie (THX-1138) about repressed people breaking free of the Machine, can't seem to pull off the same stunt himself............

Rick

2-1B
04-29-2005, 01:05 AM
See, I haven't prejudged the movie prior to seeing it.

Sure you have stillakid, at least as far as Anakin being fitted in Vader's wardrobe goes. lol

how ironic is it that a guy who started out to make a movie about "primitive" people overthrowing an evil, technological Empire finds himself unable to make a movie without constantly losing sight of the important stuff in order to concentrate on some new bit of breakthrough movie-making technology?

Rick, it is indeed ironic if you believe Lucas has lost sight, but from what I've heard him say over the years, he still maintains that the digital tech is "just a tool" in telling a story. So, obviously he would disagree with you.

But if that's how you see it, cheers mate. :cool:

stillakid
04-29-2005, 07:46 AM
Sure you have stillakid, at least as far as Anakin being fitted in Vader's wardrobe goes. lol

I can base an opinion on precedent and continuity concerns, but that doesn't mean that I'm going into the screening with a predetermined judgment of the overall film like some fanboys already have. :)

Rick, it is indeed ironic if you believe Lucas has lost sight, but from what I've heard him say over the years, he still maintains that the digital tech is "just a tool" in telling a story. So, obviously he would disagree with you.

But if that's how you see it, cheers mate. :cool:
Lucas can say whatever he wants, but it doesn't mean that it's true. Some fearless leader I've heard of comes to mind that claimed that the US was in imminent danger from some dustbowl halfway 'round the globe. That wasn't true either. :rolleyes: ;)

darko666
04-29-2005, 10:57 AM
the review from Kevin Smith just seems to good. not once does he mention something bad or at least not as spectacular as what he mentioned. although, from what i saw at C III, the visuals look amazing, but what about the story? is the dialogue going to be smart, interesting and fit the saga as a whole. it may look good, but if it isn't worth hearing and seeing the story expand, what the point. the only way this movie will be remembered is if it has a compeling storyline and the dialogue doesn't suck. thats what makes a movie memorable. not just pretty visuals. but on May 19th we will all have our opinions on the movie. and when that thread becomes available, we can vent our spleens on weather we hated it, liked it, or aren't quite sure yet.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-29-2005, 12:18 PM
Well stilla and whoever else said it was all about the visuals, Kevin does mention how Ian and Ewan steal the show, and Hayden is improved. I'm going to say that that part had to do with their acting.

True, he doesn't mention the story, but who goes to see a Star Wars movie for the story? The general public goes to see it for the cool action and special effects, not because it's deep. I suppose in 20 days we'll find out whether this one is deep and meaningful or not.

And I guess I should've said "This film is going to rock . . . from a visual standpoint." ;)

stillakid
04-29-2005, 08:19 PM
True, he doesn't mention the story, but who goes to see a Star Wars movie for the story?
Uh, I do. :sur:

The general public goes to see it for the cool action and special effects, not because it's deep. I suppose in 20 days we'll find out whether this one is deep and meaningful or not.
That's a rash generalization. You don't think too highly of the general public, do you? But more to your point, I think you're missing mine. I'm not necessarily looking for "deep and meaningful" in a movie. All I'm looking for is a solid well told story with well drawn characters. Is that too much to ask for?

And I guess I should've said "This film is going to rock . . . from a visual standpoint." ;) I'm sure it will. Gotta sell those toys. :D

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-30-2005, 03:33 PM
That's a rash generalization. You don't think too highly of the general public, do you? But more to your point, I think you're missing mine. I'm not necessarily looking for "deep and meaningful" in a movie. All I'm looking for is a solid well told story with well drawn characters. Is that too much to ask for?
I'm not saying they're stupid. But there are tons of small-budget films with great stories that no one goes to see. I'm just saying that, on a Saturday afternoon, someone is more likely to go see a big blockbuster than a character-driven film. For instance, Million Dollar Baby is a great movie with a great story, but I don't think it sold as many tickets as, say, Sin City or whatever. On the whole, people go to the movies for a fun time, I believe.

But I, just as much as you, want a good story out of ROTS. I thought that TPM and AOTC were good in that area, as did many others, but there were many (yourself included) that felt otherwise. But that's for another thread I suppose.

I'm sure it will. Gotta sell those toys. :D
And we gotta buy 'em. :D

stillakid
04-30-2005, 04:06 PM
I'm just saying that, on a Saturday afternoon, someone is more likely to go see a big blockbuster than a character-driven film.

I don't believe that "big blockbuster" and "character driven film" have to be mutually exclusive concepts. The original Star Wars trilogy is an excellent example of a very popular film that is chock full o' action and also has a solid story and well drawn characters. Arguably, so is something like Titanic. Granted, there aren't many of them that have both solid stories and plenty of titillation to boot, but it can be done. And there is no reason in the world that the Prequels couldn't have followed suit given Lucas's resources.

General_Grievous
04-30-2005, 08:20 PM
From what you guys are saying about Kevin Smith not having anything bad to say about ROTS, I just have to say that that's how his reviews go. He never really mentions the bad about movies, but what makes them fun. That's what he did with his review of "Return of the King". Not a bad thing to be said in his review. But then again, there was very little that was bad about that movie.

Anyway, I trust Kevin. He's made some great movies and I think I'll take his judgment on this. After all, he's a hardcore Star Wars fan just like us. :)

Darth Kirk
05-01-2005, 11:55 PM
It is interesting that Kevin Smith, a fanatical Star Wars fan's words can be perceived as objective; maybe he is when reviewing, but I doubt it. WHO cares though, we are all intelligent enough to come to our own conclusions about a film, and we do not need to be spoon-fed about WHAT to think.. Reviews are just soooooo annoying, since we give people credit for their opinions. Big deal, I too can sit on my ***** and mumble out half coherent gibberish and pass them on to the public.. So when the reviews start coming in, you need to judge for yourself whose words are actually objective enough to trust; some reviews in the past were faked (look to Sony) some reviewers had issues with the film makers (Ebert VS Gallo) etc.. I come from the school of thought that I will be the ultimate decider as to whether a film is GREAT or not.. It will be fun to see how this film gets ranked over at Rotten Tomatoes though..

Darth Chicken Head
05-03-2005, 11:47 AM
Haters come and go , but true fans remain ....I cant say i saw SW4 for the dialog and great acting by all those WELL KNOWN peeps , but i can say i saw it because it looked COOL ! You want a script ??? go see " insert mostly booring arse movie title here " . Now for action adventure and the kinda stuff that makes that ball of dough rise in your throat .. See any SW film ..Its hard for me ( being blinded by my 5 yrold self ) to sit here and listen to peeps bad mouth a SW flick for some retard like jar-jar . I dont care , it was the 1st new movie since 83 . Same for clones and now "thisith" . Say what you will , but think , why are you here in the 1st place ?? Are you still collecting old stuff as much as you do new ? I mean , if you didnt like the movies , why collect the product and troll the boards ?? Not every moment is /was great in any of the movies sooo...have your fun and i know im going to enjoy the movie b4 i see it ....cuz its STAR WARS , MAN !!! GEESH!!:crazed::crazed::crazed:

stillakid
05-03-2005, 08:42 PM
Haters come and go , but true fans remain ....I cant say i saw SW4 for the dialog and great acting by all those WELL KNOWN peeps , but i can say i saw it because it looked COOL ! You want a script ??? go see " insert mostly booring arse movie title here " . Now for action adventure and the kinda stuff that makes that ball of dough rise in your throat .. See any SW film ..Its hard for me ( being blinded by my 5 yrold self ) to sit here and listen to peeps bad mouth a SW flick for some retard like jar-jar . I dont care , it was the 1st new movie since 83 . Same for clones and now "thisith" . Say what you will , but think , why are you here in the 1st place ?? Are you still collecting old stuff as much as you do new ? I mean , if you didnt like the movies , why collect the product and troll the boards ?? Not every moment is /was great in any of the movies sooo...have your fun and i know im going to enjoy the movie b4 i see it ....cuz its STAR WARS , MAN !!! GEESH!!:crazed::crazed::crazed:

If I scratched the words "Star Wars" all over my [deleted to protect Puritan sensibilities], would you buy that too? :confused:

rbaumhauer
05-03-2005, 10:04 PM
Did you see Darth Chicken Head's reply to your original query?

I think the admins were alerted to his post, and decided to eliminate the whole exchange. I don't think the removal of your post had to do with anything specific that you said, just that it could be seen as provocative, and DCH cranked his reply up to 11 on the offense-o-meter.

Rick

stillakid
05-03-2005, 10:14 PM
Did you see Darth Chicken Head's reply to your original query?

I think the admins were alerted to his post, and decided to eliminate the whole exchange. I don't think the removal of your post had to do with anything specific that you said, just that it could be seen as provocative, and DCH cranked his reply up to 11 on the offense-o-meter.

Rick

No, I missed the soap opera...ya know, work and all. :) Thanks for the heads-up.

Darth Chicken Head
05-04-2005, 03:14 PM
hahahaha!!:p

CaptainSolo1138
05-04-2005, 07:53 PM
stilla in a debate about the prequels? Will wonders ever cease? :p

stillakid
05-04-2005, 10:08 PM
stilla in a debate about the prequels? Will wonders ever cease? :p

Wherever tyranny or misinformation rear their ugly heads, I will be there. :evil:

James Boba Fettfield
05-04-2005, 11:25 PM
Bill Hunt, editor of The Digital Bits, hinted on his site tonight that his review for ROTS might be online tomorrow night.

Interested in my thoughts on Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith? Well... you just might [want] to check back tomorrow night.

2-1B
05-05-2005, 12:51 AM
Yeah, sounds like May 5th is a big day for the reviewers.

Screw those guys, most people are going to slam it in the trades anyway . . . let me in there early to see it, I actually WANT to be there ! :D :D :D

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-05-2005, 10:49 AM
This is kind of related, seeing as how it is a review and all. This morning on my local CBS news, they were talking via satellite to some guy in front of Skywalker Ranch who worked for CBS out there. He got to see the movie, and when he was talking about it, I do believe he creamed his pants. :eek: He said it was much better than TPM or AOTC and that every five minutes he'd say, "Oh, so that's why something is like that in ANH." He said that some middle-aged man next to him nearly cried when Vader got his helmet on! He really liked it and admitted to being a SW geek. Later today there's going to be another review. It's looking bright that every "critic" so far has really enjoyed it, since I remember how there was a thing asking people about AOTC and they didn't like it too much.

Critics hated TPM and AOTC, and I loved them . . . so I hope I don't hate ROTS since the critics love it. :D

Darth Chicken Head
05-05-2005, 07:36 PM
ima gonna cry when i see little padamee die ..me o my ..she's like tootaly haght !!:crazed::crazed::crazed::crazed: