PDA

View Full Version : what's hasbro's reaction to our reaction?

derek
01-08-2002, 08:16 PM
most fourm users here are disapointed with the quality of the episode 2 line we've seen so far. for those in the know, like sir steve, or some of the hasbro employees who post here, what has hasbro's reaction been to our outbursts? if any?

JEDIpartner
01-09-2002, 10:04 AM
You have to pretty much guess that they won't respond to this thread. I would be VERY surprised if I saw an honest to God Hasbro employee's response on these topics. It is quite evident that the road paved by McFarlane was a huge misstep for Hasbro. The vocal majority has expressed either dissatisfaction in the upcoming line or won't even be buying the figures at all. This comes after Hasbro has spent, I'm assuming, millions of dollars in pre-production on this "even-before-it-hits-the-shelves" failed line. Who knows, maybe someone there is trying to make a quick fix to this already out of hand situation.

yaddle yodas love pu
01-09-2002, 10:24 AM
I don't think Hasbro cares one wit about what we collectors have to say. Some Habsro execs said "we're not doing as well with Star Wars as we'd like. What can we do to raise sales? We've got to do something! Anything!!!!" Then some jr. exec says: "People always like somethig new. Lets do something new!! We'll make the figures look like comic book characters!!! Yeah! Teen like comics and little kids will think they're cool because teens will dig it!!! Oh, the collectors... they'll buy anything, so don't bother with their input." Then they made these goofy looking crazy figure sculpts we've seen and show them to the execs, who then say " Wow!!!! Those look so hulkamania!!! Kids will love it!!! Cool!!! Hep!! Crazy!!! Wild!!!! Good job!! Thats totally new, and all we need to do is make them something new and then they will sell more! Excellent!! Lets make all of our figures this way now!!!
Then in APril the E2 figures will come out. The complaining collectors on this forum will slulk out to TRU on midnight on the 22d, (hoping not to be seen by anyone else from this forum) and will buyt their E2 stuff. Kid and parents will buy some too because they kids will not realize how bad the toys suck until they try fitting Jango, Boba and Obi Wan into their respective ships, but find they cannot do to hyper-leg-extensionposing. However, here's the rub: stores will not over-order E2 toys they way they did with E1. Thus the toys will sell out by the end of the summer. Hasbro will claim sucess and attriute that sucess to their innovative new sculpting design and will forevermore make all Star wars figures loook like they are straight out of the Staurday morning super-crazy-wild-actin cartoon hour!

JediCole
01-09-2002, 03:10 PM
I don't even know where to begin on this issue, one that has plagued the EII line from the outset. Bottom line, vote with your wallet. You want to send a message? Don't buy the figures! It really couldn't be simpler. Perhaps the "self-fulfilling prophesy" scenerio outlined here will govern the fate of the line, but in the long run, taking the line in such a direction will kill it eventually. The way to let Hasbro know that you don't like these sculpts is to not buy them, EVER, at any price, even on clearance for $1.00. Do not seek to own them in any way. No one has a gun to your head.
I feel qualified to make these statements because, number one, when the first POTF2 figures were released, I refused to buy the buff Han and Luke figures, number two, as the line progressed and to the present day, I refuse to buy a resculpt that has no real purpose (example: If R5-D4 is ever re-released using the same template as R2-Q5 and R4-M9, I will buy one to replace the original, but I have no need for the "Death Star Escape Han Solo as the CommTech version needs no "upgrade"), third, I have never said an ill word about the upcoming EII line. I don't particularly care for the "built in sabre" Anakin or the "magno manos" Obi-Wan, but then, I have no intention of having them grace my collection, instead I will merely hold out for the inevetable resculpts. Had I known the second release EI Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon were on the horizon, I would never have bought the first ones. By now we have come to expect core character resculpts. Why not just hold out for something better down the line? The crux of this particular response is this: If you are a completeist, regardless of how dreadful you think some of the figures are, that is a condition you bring on yourself. It is not Hasbro's responsibility to cater to you personally. There is no way they will please everyone regardless. For my part, I am indifferent, I will buy those that I feel will enhance my personal collection (which are all taken out of the package and displayed, by the way) and pass on those that do not. If you collect out of a sense of responsiblity or competition, or indeed anything other than the personal enjoyment of what you collect, then anything that makes the act of being such a collector that much less satisfying is something you merely bring on yourself.

Tycho
01-09-2002, 03:15 PM
I'm afraid Yaddle has that right.

That won't be the total take on it, and we will get figures like the POTJ figures we've liked as of late - including ones that fit in the ships - and probably in the first wave. We haven't seen all the figures yet. But we didn't want to "need" resculpts either.

In the old days, at Kenner, we only needed 1 figure for each character, each way. When Vader with Removeable Helmet came out, that was something different, something new that they didn't plan on having the market to demand the technology put into that figure for. With Obi-Wan, Jango, etc. - I think you can already anticipate everything the 'ultimate version' of that character would need. Just do it. With articulation, you can pose him like the figure we've already seen - or NOT. Your choice.

All our complaining will do is alert Hasbro they can sell us more resculpts if they think the way Yaddle was alluding to.

When they measure their second and third quarter sales this year, they won't have the slightest clues as to what drove any success they might have with this line. Though if it fails, I'm sure they feel they're lucky to have US to tell them why, LOL.

INDIANA
01-09-2002, 07:02 PM
I would mention that a dramatic change in an established line is what killed Playmates Star Trek figures for me. 4" for the first 5 years and then...BAM...5" figures for First Contact.

I have a Star Wars figure collection. NOT an E1 collection, an E4 collection. If the new E2 figures do not appear to "mesh" nicely with the others I WILL simply not buy them. (And that I REALLY mean)

I am also done with resculpts. I plan to see all the Anakins and Obi-Wans and buy what I consider the best one. I have 6 or 7 Obi-Wans from the E1 line but whenever I display anything I always go back to the same 1. I don't need the other 5 or 6. Add to that a possible price increase and decrease in personal "slush" money, and I will be MUCH more discriminate with what I choose to purchase from the E2 line than I was from the E1 line.

I personally believe HASBLOWs thinking that the kids will spend the money and is the lines primary target audience is flawed. I'm not an expert by any means, but NONE of my nephews or their friends play with Star Wars toys. All the people I know are all growned up! The kids may carry the line throughout the summer, POSSIBLY keep up the popularity to Christmass '02, but it will be a LONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG wait until E3 and the kids will leave Star Wars far behind.

SirSteve
01-09-2002, 07:08 PM
Hasbro is saying that's why they do not like when prototypes get out before the final versions are released...

derek
01-09-2002, 07:15 PM
.........then you told them,"i'll clear all this up for you guys if you just give the O.K." :D

LTBasker
01-09-2002, 07:19 PM
Usually logic is good for a toy industry... so they pull'em because it shows their illogicalness? Not to seem mean or anything, but it's the public - which is us - that is buying their product, we have a voice and a right to use our voice to announce our opinion, especially if it would make their product better and increase sells and then they won't have to worry about prototype leaks except for all the happiness people would express by seeing a really awesome figure there..

Jargo
01-09-2002, 07:31 PM
My six year old and eleven year old nephews still want star wars toys and still play with whatever I can afford to get them when I have spare cash. They will be looking forward to episode two toys as much as they looked forward to episode one toys. Core characters and background characters. As long as they can have the good guys fight the bad guys and can loosely get a figure into the ship they don't mind.
My six year old nephew is also big on dinosaurs so loves the beasts, the Reek will be a big hit with him. Telescoping lightsabers is something he's never seen and will excite him. Magnets that allow him to have a figure hold onto an objectin a way he wouldn't ordinarily have been able to pose or play with will be a great boon to him.

There are still kids who crave the toys but supply is not the same as it once was. My nephew hasn't seen a star wars toy at retail in 18 months. It'll be a grat site to see him find the toys for the first few weeks of the films release before everything drys up again. The stores here have what they call film tie-in periods, where they only stock while the film is box office news. Once a film is taken off general release here the toys dry up to be replaced by the next big thing. Probably Lord Of The Rings 2 toys.

So there is a kid market out there that's just as valid as the adult collector market. it's the retailers who are causing the problems here in Britain at least. Thank god for places like The Entertainer, the real world stores of thetoyshop.com. They at least recognise the power of the juvenile spender. Pocket money power., Pester power, kids who have spare cash and love Star Wars can find a haven in the stores of the best thing to happen to toy retail in britain since TRU opened up the first store here all those years ago. Why did they take such a radical change to drop most of the toys from their stores? Can all kids want elecronic games consoles? I don't think so. How they have the gall to call themselves toysRus I just don't know.

What I do know is that me and my nephews are going to be looking forward to buying these toys whatever. I'm not chuffed about the new direction but as long as the scale doesn't change and the accessories keep coming. We'll keep buying.... When we can find them that is!:rolleyes:

Tycho
01-10-2002, 03:06 AM
Derek's awesome close-up of Zam Wessel posted 3 or 4 threads above, made me reply to retract an earlier statement of mine.

There may be no Zam Wessel Resculpt.

Note she has a CLOTH skirt on her back. At least that's what it looks like. With careful planning on Hasbro's part, she WILL fit in her speeder vehicle and not require another sculpt.

Small favors to be thankful for. That and she is the best looking figure we've seen so far. Both arms appear articulate at the elbows (like the Bespin Guard's). Take a closer look.

Thanks Derek.

Beast
01-10-2002, 03:44 AM
The fan reaction to those posted prototype images appears to have fired Hasbro up to decide to start showing final products to try to clean up some of the mess created by these pictures of unfinished prototypes.

Yesterday they posted a final image of the Slave 1 vehicle from Episode II, and said that they intend to show more in the weeks and month ahead. That goes to prove that what we saw were no doubt mostly prototypes and paint masters.

This is the best case senerio anyway. The Amidala: Arena Battle is appearing twice on the figure lists that are circulating, so it sounds like we will get the pre-posed "gun pointing" action one in the Collection 1 Asst. And then get her again in collection 2 in a more standard pose without the action feature. Sounds good to me.

JediCole
01-10-2002, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
the best thing to happen to toy retail in britain since TRU opened up the first store here all those years ago. Why did they take such a radical change to drop most of the toys from their stores? Can all kids want elecronic games consoles? I don't think so. How they have the gall to call themselves toysRus I just don't know.

This is a little off-topic, but I wanted to address Jargo's mention of the TRU situation. About two years ago I heard a report on the radio that "toy retail giant" Toys R Us was effectively getting out of toys. They cited slumping toy sales and an eye toward the booming electronics market. Though we have yet to see the full scope of what that report suggested (TRU's becoming little more than electronic game/software superstores), a good deal of what that portended has come true. I recently visited a TRU that did not have the new cheese maze design, just the good old aisles of tall shelves. It had been a while since I'd been in a store with the old floor plan and I was impressed most by how much useable display space has been lost in the new shelf set design. There are times when I go to the TRU stores with the new shelf set up and wonder if they are planning to have any toys in their toy store. And this is in the U.S! So it is no surprise that they are just as bad or worse in Europe.

Hopefully, despite the E1 glut, TRU will look back at the sheer truckloads of cash they made with the "Midnight Madness" offerings and repeat them for EII (provided Hasbro and/or LucasFilm don't put the kibosh on that idea). As an example, I personally spent over $200.00 that night and was there when the first hour (12-1 AM) totals were run and the one store had pulled in over $12,000! It may have been more, that was almost three years ago, you know. I don't think even the best day at a TRU pulls in $12,000 in an hour.

derek
01-12-2002, 10:24 AM
do you think hasbro officially released images of episode 2 product as an effort to calm collectors after the disapointment we expressed with the prototypes? and if they are releasing images now, do you think this improves your chances of being allowed to photograph the line at toyfair next month?

INDIANA
01-12-2002, 04:01 PM
Someone want to point out to me the big differences between the "leaked prototypes" we saw and the final versions of the figures we are seeing now? (apart from the fact they are painted)

Darth Evil
01-12-2002, 05:10 PM
I won't pass my final judgement on the EII line until I actually see them on the pegs, I'm not getting myself worked up months in advance.

stillakid
01-13-2002, 12:39 AM
Hmm, if Hasbro is listening to the complaining about the Ep II line and reacting to it, then where are all the ships and playsets that we've been asking for all these years?

Who needs a repainted Slave I? How about a Deluxe Sandcrawler, the Imperial Shuttle that everybody and their mother wants, a Deluxe Death Star playset. Are you listening? Huh?

(sound of dripping in the distance)

sigh.

bigbarada
01-13-2002, 01:33 AM
Actually the Slave 1 is a completely new sculpt, I did a side by side comparison of their pictures and the Ep2 version is much slimer and more accurate than the old vintage one. The canopy even seems to open like any other starfighter.

Obi-Don
01-13-2002, 03:58 AM
Hasbro will do pretty much what thier people tell them what will sell. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if the ones giving them thier marketing advise are not even Star Wars fans.