PDA

View Full Version : Hasbro's Biggest Mistake re: wildly posed E2 figures

yaddle yodas love pu
01-08-2002, 10:38 PM
There's two reasons why I think this widespread pre-posing is really going to backfire on Hasbro: 1) it is already clear that the collectors dont like it. Collectors are the base of the star wars figure hobby. A lot of collectors will simply end their star wars collecting now due to the massive shift in production to these wildly posed, cartoonish-looking figures. Boom -- Hasbro's base is gone. After the first 6 months that kids are interested in E2 and then move on to Pokemon 2002, who is going to be left to buy these ugly hunks of plastic? 2) Kids are not as stupid as you think. A lot of them can tell the difference between a figure that can't be posed, and one that has lots of articulaiton. Kids like articulation -- they like to pose their figures. Note that the highly poseable GIJoe ARH sells extermly well, while the unposeable Planet of the Apes figures were instant peg-warmers. Kids also will HATE IT when they buy Slave One only to find that the Jango and Boba figures are fixed in stances far to wild to allow them into the cockpit of Slave One. I remeber my then 6 year old nephew and his mother both being really upset to find that POTF2 Chewie and Han could not fit into the cockpit of the re-released Millenium Falcon.
My prediction: Die hard collectors will buy out of addiction, but their enthusiasum will be low. Casual collectors and on the border collectors will quit collecting star wars entirely. Kids will buy the first wave or two. Then by next Christmas they will just be interested in LOTR2, Pokemon or whatever the fad is then and they will stop buying star wars until E3 comes out. By that time Hasbro will be rehashing Jar Jar, Anakin and Jango Fett for the 15th time each and even die hard collectors will not buy those. Then who will buy the figures?

bigbarada
01-09-2002, 12:08 AM
What's really going to hurt our position is the completist collectors. Here we are trying to get Hasbro to rethink it's strategy and make some changes and these people are buying up tons of figures that they hate just so they won't have any holes in their collection. :rolleyes: If you don't want crap figures, then don't buy crap figures. Hasbro will never get the message if we keep throwing money at them.

I think the super-cool, 30 points of articulation, Spider-Man toys will be a big competitor for Star Wars when the movie is released just a few weeks before Ep2.

Jayspawn
01-09-2002, 02:37 AM
Damn straight! Kids can tell then a figure is really cool by the many ways you can play with it. You can't play with it if it just sits there (like Episode II figures for example).

jedibear
01-09-2002, 03:05 AM
These "wildy posed" Episode II figures we've seen shots of are NOT all there is.

Just remember how many different versions of core characters there were for EpOne....granted, I don't think Hasbro will go quite as nuts this time around, but I think it's a safe bet we'll see multiple (more posable) versions of Jango, Obi, Ani and more...

As for why those POTA bombed....where to begin...ugly garish packaging, ugly sculpts, no posability, and an uninspired movie.
Oh well....they could have taken a page from Medicom's book (they produced figures based on the original movie series)...while for the most part, they were unposable, the likenesses and detailing was top-notch along with the handsome packaging.

Getting back to SW....I think that based on the pics of the new unified card and the great detailing & sculpts that have graced the POTJ banner, we'll have plenty of good figures to look forward to....

yaddle yodas love pu
01-09-2002, 10:11 AM
I've got to disagree with you Jedibear. I don't have as high hopes for E2 as you do. So far we have seen pics of about 10 E2 figures. Every single one of them is wildly posed and looks caroonish, and not a single one of them appears to have even the standard articulations that we as collectors and kids alike, enjoy and desire. The trend shown so far is that Hasbro's new philosophy is to make goofy-looking "hulkamania" posed figures, and there is not reason not to beleive that every other of the 50 or so figures that Hasbro has sculpted for E2 will not also be posed in these ridiculous stances. Looking back to POTF2, there were only a small handfull of wildly posed figures (e.g. Hoth Han, General Lando) and remember how we ridiculed these stinkers. Now 10 out of 10 preview pics of new figures have these wacky poses that collectors lamabsted in the past. If it were just one or two f the E2 pic that showed crazy poses, I might hold out some hope. But ALL of the pics show stupid poses, little or no articulation, and little sculpting detail. The trend is clear: all of the E2 figures are going to have these horrific poses and are going to suck and are going to lessen interest in star wars collecting.

Lord Tenebrous
01-09-2002, 11:48 AM
There is hope for other, better versions. Like this, for instance:

yaddle yodas love pu
01-11-2002, 10:48 AM
There were also really great busts of Jango Fett, Obi Wan, and Anakin, however real scan apparently is a total failure because all of the figure previews we've seen look ludicrous at best at total crap at worst. My hope for getting good E2 figures is gone...

LTBasker
01-11-2002, 05:54 PM
The only good figure we've seen so far is the R2 unit. Shoot, look at the Padme figure and at the Real Scan bust of Padme it doesn't look like her costume is pasted onto her skin nor does it look like she's trying to be like a Baywatch Lara Croft. After the whole Theed Amidala situation and now this, I'm really starting to worry about Hasbro...

Directing a line towards kids and a seperate one at collectors is a waste of money which could've meant more and better figures. What do you think some kid is gonna be more interested in? An Obi-Wan that just stands there looking like a monkey or an Obi-Wan that can be posed to fight with Count Dooku and Battle Droids but also can be posed to hang from the droid pack-in?

Everyone's gonna get sick of the kid's line and go for the collector's line so the kid's line will become major peg-warmers and new figures won't be able to ship so the stores who are already cautious about ordering StarWars figures will have another reason to not order anymore and so we'll hardly ever see new and exciting figures.

Unit-01
01-11-2002, 07:04 PM
WTF do they have the same damn legs? Is it too expensive to make different ones?:rolleyes:

Paul-Kenobi
01-14-2002, 04:29 PM
dont forget the economy is bad maybe hasbro dosent have enough monney to make them as good as the EPI figs

but then again i would like to tell a story,

As known i am a fan of Jurassic Park, there are three moives of it there are also three lines of toys made by Hasbro, allso the first line was the best with poseing ation's ect, the next line was allright but then when they came out with Jurassic Park 3 they came out with the first toy line that extreamly sucked, and it was wave one, they came out with whats called Re Ak Atack. They where smaller then the the first dinosaurs,WAY smaller and they where hard plastic, the JP fans didnt like them cuase of there size shape and mold, wave two came out it was alittle better i wanted a large ruber spinosaurs that could be posed will they came out with two the line got alittle better but not to much.

So my point is this is only wave one maybe wave two will be better EPI had 9 or so waves if they do the same with the EPII figs thall prob get better.

SithDroid
01-14-2002, 05:03 PM
I agree about the articulation. As a child I was introduced to some of the coolest action figures ever made Vintage Star Wars, Old School 3 3/4 inch G.I.Joes, and Transformers. Of all of those toys that I played with the most I'd have to say G.I.Joe was my favorite. They had awesome characters, awesome detailing, awesome articulation, and you could pose them to do about anything you like. That's what was so fun about them. However these new Star Wars, unable to move, characters don't seem like they will be anything special. Kids know when a toy sucks. As for the 30 point articualtion Spiderman. I have always loved Spiderman, but have refused to buy any of the horrible toys until that one came out. Finally Toybiz makes a figure that doesn't suck. If Toy Biz can make a 6 inch 30 point articulation Spiderman for only $5.99 (that's right, that's what I paid for it) then Hasbro should try to do their figures with at least a little bit of articulation. And look at it, the Spiderman 30 point is also cheaper than these horrible figures. Remember when Star Wars figures only cost $4.99. Ah, good old 1995.

Obehave Kenobi
01-15-2002, 03:21 PM
Spiderman cost less than Star Wars figures because Toy Biz OWNS Marvel and doesn't have to pay liscencing fees. But that's not really that important. What ****es me off is how Hasbro can make one toy line that's really cool and another that completely sucks. I was just looking at some of those new GI Joes. You know, the ones that are completly new sculpts. I was looking at Snake Eyes and thinking to myself "How cool would a Jango Fett that was this posable be?" If Hasbro wanted to take Ep.2 in a new direction, THIS is the way they should have gone. Instead they went backwards. Hell, I think POTF2 was better. Sure, they were all on steroids, but at least they could be used with the vehicles and accesories put out for them. Although, it is quite a feat to get Han AND Chewie in the cockpit of the Falcon.

:)

Obehave Kenobi
01-15-2002, 03:35 PM
And another thing, I think it's terrible the way they are going about resculpts. The purpose of resculpts is not to create a figure that's usable with a vehicle you've designed for it. The purpose, at least back in the days of the old line, was to ensure there were enough versions of the main characters so that every child who wanted one could get one. That's where imagination, which is the whole point of playing with anything, kicks in. When I was younger, was I a little disappointed when I got Tattooine Luke instead of Jedi Luke? Maybe, but it didn't matter because I had A Luke Skywalker figure. If you look back, EVERY figure, whether it was the person who used it or not, could fit in EVERY vehicle. That's what playing is all about. That's how you make a toy line appealing to kids. Kids are smart. Thay don't like Crap. What Hasbro is doing is just negligent on their part.

WHEW! It felt good to get that out.

SithDroid
01-15-2002, 04:45 PM
Boy, it's sad to think that Toy Biz OWNS Marvel. I love Marvel comics and have collected for many years, but I have never bought any Toy Biz toys (until the 30 point Spiderman) because the toys are always IMO very cr***y looking. I would love to either have Hasbro or even better yet, McFarlane get a hold of the toy licensing. Then posibbly we'd see some really cool toys.

jedibear
01-16-2002, 02:00 AM
....I'll veer a little off-topic and say "good job" on what they're putting out these days. Yes, the latest Spider Man figures with all that articulation are impressive, as is the job they're doing with the "Lord of the Rings" license. Great figures, great detailing & decent articultion. Even the "movie-specific" poses & actions work well. The Cave Troll is a terrific action toy and boasts movie-accurate detailing to boot!

Perhaps (in a rather oblique way, I'll grant you) that Hasbro is trying for a little of that approach....having movie scene-specific poses/accesories for the intial figures we're getting glimpses of. Time will tell...

I just remember alot of folks on these boards carping about the intial wave of EpOne figures too, but looking back we did get quite a variety of figures (especially of the core characters). The only thing we never have gotten with these figures is a figure with as many points of articulation as possible. They came close with the commtech Stormie, but have never really tried with a human-style character ala Jedi Luke....

Maybe, if Hasbro does start following the trends of some of the other action figure makers( I know JediTricks, myself & many others have been wishing that for some time in the Action Collection line), we may yet see the best of both....the movie scene specific ones they ARE doing and some more action-articulation ones as well.

To paraphrase a certain princess in distress...

Help us Hasbro, you're our only hope.....

Darth Mojhaan
01-16-2002, 11:32 PM
I am sick of everyone complaining about these figures. Do any of you remember 1995, when Star Wars came back to the toy ailes to fill the void we had in our lives. Everyone at that time praised the He-Man Luke and the Stiff Chewie who seemed to have a grin and fans all around the world screamed in delight. If any one is like me, they ripped those packages open to examine the horrible resemblance to the movies and we still screamed in delight. Years passed, more Lukes and Vaders and Landos and well you get the idea, arrived in our hands and I am one of the many who opened the packages to display and you cannot tell me that when you look back, all those figures were stiff in stance and play value. And still to this day, they can't get the sculpt right on Luke Skywalker. You complain about the stances and the statue liknesses but answer me this, are you going to play with them or display them. I purchased the newest Spawn recently and he is like a statue. Two points of articulation but I display him because he is awsome. Quit griping, you sound like a bunch of children.
I love the figures and I am proud of Hasbro, they are directing the line towards the adults more because it is the adults who made this line popular.

Obehave Kenobi
01-18-2002, 02:07 AM
Wrong. They were catering to the adult collectors with POTJ. That line had very good sculpts, decent posability, and they had even begun putting the figures in correct scale compared to each other. What they're doing now, only Hasbro knows. And I'm not sure if they know either.

jedibear
01-18-2002, 05:20 AM
....the POTJ line was definately aimed more at the collector as opposed to kids...Hasbro even pushed that point on the "tour" of the comic conventions last year. We got some great quality resculpts, some terrific new versions of vintage figures, some characters we never thought would see the light of day and even two "fan-chosen" figures.

Looking more and more at these preview shots for the AOTC line, a few things are becoming apparent...one, this line (with what we've seen so far) seems definately geared to what Hasbro seems to think kids want (right or wrong or where they're gleaning their info from, who knows?).

Exagarated poses, weird "play-along" accessories and garish detailing (which I fervently hope is because these figures are prototypes or something) seem to cry out "for kids", which is okay...after all, they ARE toys, but...weather it's by design in the film (stuff looking more cartoony and bright...but judging from the traliers I don't think so) or just these first few figures are slanted more towards the kids remains to be seen.

Hasbro has made some misstepps recently outside of SW...the huge, DOA line for the Burton-Apes film springs immediately to mind. There we had garish packaging, overdone figures supporting a film that wasn't exactly kid-friendly and the result was a line of product that just SAT on the pegs. I wonder with AOTC, by it's very nature of the story (the love affair/Anakin's slow decent into evil) not being as kid-ready as Episode One, Hasbro is making the same mistake again....hope not, but I don't see the kids that sent the mild, cushy Harry Potter into box office orbit doing the same with a darker Star Wars and then running out to buy the brightly colored toys. It'll be interesting to see how that pans out.

But back to the subject at hand...AOTC figures....

As I've mentioned earlier in this thread, I hope that we do see some more standard, relaxed poses with some of these characters (like we did with the Naboo/robed versions of Jinn & Kenobi after the "Jedi Duel" initial releases). I also hope that, like MANY times in the past with SW figures that the picture end up NOT doing the figures justice once we actually see them.

We got pretty spoiled this last couple of years with the POTJ line. Here's hoping Hasbro doesn't forget us folk who kept the between-film fires burning and offer up some COOL quality figures & stuff for AOTC.....judging from what we've seen so far, I'm still on the fence.....