PDA

View Full Version : Someone stop the exclusive insanity

terman123
05-02-2005, 03:24 AM
:crazed: Is it just me or are there too many exclusives? Yes there have been a few cool ones, but most are pieces of crap. The TRU yoda(looks horrible), the Tru Anakin starfighter(do we need another one), the Target micro machines(cheap plastic). It seems every time you turn around there is another exclusive. Right now there is a free Lego Anakin Starfighter mini at Albertsons(not sure if everyone has one)grocery stores. I went to three and phone several more and none have seen it even though it's in their ad.

Terman123

WesleySr
05-02-2005, 03:47 AM
The main problem with exclusives is not everyone has access to the stores that carry the exclusives. Take my dilema for example. I use to collect the 12" line. At the time, Target, along with other stores, kept getting 12" exclusives. Only problem with that was that at the time there was no Target in the state of WV. It was almost impossible to find the exclusives at the other stores that were close by. That ultimately led to the end of my 12" collecting. Even now, the exclusives don't stay in the store very long. I missed out on the B-Wing because they could not keep them on the shelves. Never had the chance to score the Target Y-Wing. I have missed out on several other exclusives, but managed to pick them up elsewhere. I would still like another OTC Y-Wing and TIE Interceptor, but that will not happen any time soon. Exclusives are fine and dandy, but don't make them limited editions, especially the vehicles.

JEDIpartner
05-02-2005, 09:53 AM
I agree... these hos are gonna "exclusive" us to death on this one. The thing is... there will be no movie to generate any interest in eclusives after this one, so they are basically blowing their load here.

Sentinel18725
05-02-2005, 10:02 AM
There will always be interest in exclusives. That's not going to change.

I hate and enjoy the exclusives at the same time. I hate them because it takes a lot of effort to get them, the hunt is fun but when there are such limited numbers it makes it very difficult to achieve. I love them because it is fun to have a "special" collection within my collection. I know that I had to do some extra leg work to get this. It's kind of cool how the silver editions added up and they sit nice and pretty on their shelf.

I do like it when the exclusives follow a them, ie. silver, holographic. I would rather see exclusives exist that are unique though that fit in a theme. Like maybe a series of exclusives from Battlegrounds.

Kidhuman
05-02-2005, 10:02 AM
Just dont buy em.

Bacta Beast
05-02-2005, 11:26 AM
Just dont buy em.

That's easy, heck we don't even have that as an option sometimes! I just wish they would quit giving exclusives to K-B their numbers have gone way down.

Scackmgack
05-02-2005, 11:29 AM
This is the first time I have ever jumped on the exclusive bandwagon to any degree - the problem is, once you start, it is hard to stop. I got the TRU Holo Yoda, the Target Lava Vader and SA Clone Trooper, passed on the Early Bird, got three Titanium vehicles...and now I have exclusive fever. I saw the .45 scale Darth Sidious lightsaber at Best Buy on Friday and I was sorely tempted, and am still thinking about it.

I have ZERO overall interest in those .45 scale sabers, but because it is an exclusive, I find myself thinking about it...

bighead5
05-02-2005, 11:54 AM
I saw the .45 scale Darth Sidious lightsaber at Best Buy on Friday and I was sorely tempted, and am still thinking about it.

I have ZERO overall interest in those .45 scale sabers, but because it is an exclusive, I find myself thinking about it...

That is so funny because I found myself thinking the exact same thing. I went to C III and got the exclusive Obi-Wan saber just because it was an exclusive and in searching for the value of it on ebay I came across the exclusive Sidious saber and found myself wanting to grab it as well for the same reason. What to do, what to do???

BTW, where did you find the Target SA Clone Trooper? I have been to several Target's in my area and haven't found any yet. Sir Steve states in one of the posts that they won't be released until the 5th, but I have seen several other people say they've found them already too. Do you have to ask for them like the Lava Vader or are they just out on the shelves? Anyone know the real details about this figure?

JetsAndHeels
05-02-2005, 12:13 PM
Bighead5, here is what I did...
I went to my local target with the dcpi # (087061489). I showed it to an employee and asked if he could run the number to see if they had these in stock. He ran the number, but did not show any in the store. Then he took the same number, ran it through a computer in the electronics section, and he was able to tell me which store in the area did have them.
After this, he called that store, asked them to put one on hold for me, and I went straight over and picked it up without any problem. I guess I got lucky because this employee who had helped me so much was also a SW fan.
I would suggest using this method, it sure saved me alot of time and gas by knowing exactly which store to try. Good luck.

bighead5
05-02-2005, 12:17 PM
I went to my local target with the dcpi # (087061489). I showed it to an employee and asked if he could run the number to see if they had these in stock.

Thank you very much; that really helps! I'll give that a shot and see what happens. :classic:

JEDIpartner
05-02-2005, 02:28 PM
They allowed me to buy one... but said to come back on the 8th, not the 5th. The 8th has been the official date cited by a number of Target employees. I think that it is going to correspond with their Sunday circular.

aricajade
05-02-2005, 03:00 PM
I too have been bitten by the exclusive bug. I had the Silver Fett & Vader, and the Internet Holo Emperor already, but I pretty much have went nuts here lately. I decided that I would concentrate on just exclusives for my personal collection. I personally find it too exhausting/expensive to buy every figure created. I like the Exclusives because it gives a wide enough line to collect, but not too big to obtain. I say keep it up. I love em.

sith_killer_99
05-02-2005, 07:20 PM
Just do what I do.

Target Micro Machines: pass
Target Cup sets: pass
Wal-Mart Micro Machines: pass on some, buy what I like.
Any other boring re-pack good for nothing exclusive I don't want or need: pass

There are a lot of exclusives out this year, some are better than others, but the way I see it, this is a ploy by Hasbro to encourage different retailers to carry their line of SW toys. Some store felt burned by the glut of EP1 and Saga stuff that sat around for months on end. Sure the same thing is happening now, but the exclusives are a hook to bring more collectors to their store and hopefully sell more SW toys.

Dark Helmet
05-02-2005, 07:34 PM
I went to my local target with the dcpi # (087061489). I showed it to an employee and asked if he could run the number to see if they had these in stock. He ran the number, but did not show any in the store. Then he took the same number, ran it through a computer in the electronics section, and he was able to tell me which store in the area did have them.
After this, he called that store, asked them to put one on hold for me, and I went straight over and picked it up without any problem. I guess I got lucky because this employee who had helped me so much was also a SW fan.
I would suggest using this method, it sure saved me alot of time and gas by knowing exactly which store to try. Good luck.

I did the same thing on Sunday and was told by 4 Target stores that even though they had stock ( I new how many each store had ), they couldn't get me one until they relaesed on the 8th. Target is putting it in their Sunday ad for mother's day. The last Target I went to showed six in stock and I got a kid to check and he came back with 2. When I went to the register to buy, the checkout lady looked at the figures very hard for a minute. Like she knew they weren't to be sold yet. I got lucky this close to 8th.

WesleySr
05-03-2005, 01:29 AM
Well, I called my local Target with the DCPI # and they said they had them in stock in the back. I made the trip to the store and the employee working toys was more than happy enough to go get them out of the back. He brought out the entire case and opened it up and let me get one. Nowhere on the case did it have any kind of shelf date stamped on it. I just hope that the Sunday ad has them for $9.99, because I paid $12.99 and I think that is a little steep.

Sith Lord 0498
05-03-2005, 06:24 AM
My local Target had five of them on the shelves yesterday for $12.99. While some Targets are imposing a "one per customer" limit on these figures, mine had no such restriction. I ended up leaving with three of the five (one for myself and the other two for other collectors on these boards). I must say that I had my doubts, but the figure is very nice. Not worth $13 but nice nevertheless.