PDA

View Full Version : What is it that makes Star Wars bidders not pay?

aricajade
05-02-2005, 11:12 PM
I sell figures on eBay and of all the toys and cards, I have never seen a bigger bunch of deadbeats than the people that bid on Star Wars figures. I'm not pointing at anyone on this site (unless you did it!), but in general, they are terrible about following through with their commitments. Even on this site's auction section, the bidder turned out to be a deadbeat!

kool-aid killer
05-03-2005, 01:08 AM
For the most part we are cheap skates. Perhaps the price went too high on your auction and the winning bidder decided he could or would rather look for a lower price. I feel for you though, is there anything in the rules for non-payers?

2-1B
05-03-2005, 01:39 AM
I don't buy too many figures via auction and I make good on all of my purchases so I can't offer a definite explanation. But in the case of newer figures, I think some people might get so worked up in a lather about not finding new ones and then buy through online auction only to find what they wanted a few days later for a few bucks cheaper ?

I don't know what the stats are on good buyers vs. deadbeats but I can see the above happening. Whatever the case, I think it is wrong for people to back out on a deal like that.

Slicker
05-03-2005, 03:00 AM
I feel for you though, is there anything in the rules for non-payers?I think about the most that can be done without you following through with legal action is to discontinue your account.:rolleyes: Then that person can just take 5 minutes to make a new email account and re-register to do it all over again.

aricajade
05-03-2005, 09:22 AM
Then that person can just take 5 minutes to make a new email account and re-register to do it all over again.

And that's the problem, there's not much that can be done. I don't know if it's just the fact that Star Wars has such a large market that it is more visible or what.

But I've been a powerseller since 1998, selling figures and cards, and of all the lines (GI Joe, Marvel Legends, LOTR, TMNT, Batman, Dora, Legos, CCGs) that I've sold, it just seems that the Star Wars crowd is the worst. And I am the Star Wars crowd. It's what got me started in all of this. I collect myself.

I just don't understand the logic behind it.

Bobby Fett
05-03-2005, 09:23 AM
On the flip side, how about deadbeat sellers?

I have three auctions on eBay which I won and paid for the same day with Paypal. All three are over 30 days old and still no merchandise! :mad:

What really fries me, though, is that all three had excellent feedback.

I have turned all three in to the eBay police for follow-up.

stillakid
05-03-2005, 09:29 AM
Powerseller on Ebay means you go to retail stores, clean out their inventory and then try to make a few bucks on honest collectors, no?

Maybe they figure that since you're a scalper, they'll stick it to ya every chance they get. :evil:

QLD
05-03-2005, 11:35 AM
Powerseller on Ebay means you go to retail stores, clean out their inventory and then try to make a few bucks on honest collectors, no?

Maybe they figure that since you're a scalper, they'll stick it to ya every chance they get. :evil:

Funny,that's what I was thinking.

JON9000
05-03-2005, 01:09 PM
In all fairness, I have dealt with lousy dealers as well- this punk sold me a vintage Y-wing that supposedly came with the bomb. It ended up being a G.I. Joe bomb. What a loser.

At least you have the opportunity to relist as a seller. As a buyer, you can be stuck with lousy goods. :mad:

sith_killer_99
05-03-2005, 01:19 PM

Maybe they figure that since you're a scalper, they'll stick it to ya every chance they get.

That's not really true in every case. A few years ago my brother-in-law had his own site selling Star Wars (and other toys). He bought direct from Hasbro and sold tons of stuff on Ebay. He didn't even shop around at retail because it cost him too much for his return. He ended up getting out of the Toy biz and switched to recreational supplies Darts, Poker, etc.

Anyway, he sure looked like a scalper on Ebay, his prices were usually high and he had lots of merchandise, but he was buying direct, so he wasn't cheating anyone from getting the stuff at retail. He was often times able to get his stuff out quicker than Target or Wal-Mart, but that's because their stuff often sits around in the back while they are trying to get rid of older merchandise.

Anyway, as for deadbeats, I am very careful about buying and rarely sell. I have dropped the ball once or twice myself and often try to compensate people when I do, I have a near perfect rating on Ebay. I don't think it's Star Wars collectors in general, my mom makes and sells her own jewlery on Ebay and she has had problems too.

kool-aid killer
05-03-2005, 01:22 PM
I think about the most that can be done without you following through with legal action is to discontinue your account.:rolleyes: Then that person can just take 5 minutes to make a new email account and re-register to do it all over again.

I was thinking more along the lines of something thats within the auction area and would note the past history of the buyer/seller, such as whether they never followed through on their end or if the deal was good.

Sith Lord 0498
05-03-2005, 11:37 PM
My guess would be that people get frustrated at the lack of store finds, decide to pay a scalper's rate, and then either come to their senses or find what they're looking for at the store.

bobafrett
05-04-2005, 11:37 PM
I have bought/won eBay auctions almost all Star Wars merchandise, and have paid within a day or two. I have had two people drag their feet getting me my items, one in particular took nearly six months of e-mailing and eventual turning to squaretrader to get this done, and when I got the merchandise it was in less than acceptable conditions. One auction I won recently the guy mailed my figure from across seas, in an envelope, so when I got it, the bubble was crushed. Transactions like that make me not want to bid on stuff hawked on eBay anymore. I have all positive feedback, so I can't say why others don't pay.

aricajade
05-05-2005, 09:21 AM

No, it doesn't mean that at all. I got most of my feedback selling CCG cards. Buying packs and opening them and selling my extras.

And you talk of "making a few bucks on honest collectors" as if it's a bad thing...but how is reselling figures dishonest? If Brian's Toys, Entertainment Earth, Collectiblestime.com, Amazon.com sell figures for more than the regular retail price of Wal-Mart and Target, but nobody thinks there's anything wrong with it because they buy direct.

I am an honest seller too, just not of the volume to be able to buy direct. It doesn't make me any less reputable or make me take any more advantage of anyone.

stillakid
05-05-2005, 09:57 AM
No, it doesn't mean that at all. I got most of my feedback selling CCG cards. Buying packs and opening them and selling my extras.

And you talk of "making a few bucks on honest collectors" as if it's a bad thing...but how is reselling figures dishonest? If Brian's Toys, Entertainment Earth, Collectiblestime.com, Amazon.com sell figures for more than the regular retail price of Wal-Mart and Target, but nobody thinks there's anything wrong with it because they buy direct.

I am an honest seller too, just not of the volume to be able to buy direct. It doesn't make me any less reputable or make me take any more advantage of anyone.

No. Theoretically, Brian's Toys, EE, etc. all get their merchandise direct from Hasbro. Scalpers take it from retail outlets at "regular" price and then jack up the price to take advantage of collectors who can't find the stuff at retail. And why can't they find it at retail? Because scalpers take it for resale opportunities. So yes, "making a few bucks on honest collectors" IS a bad thing. What amazes me is the way people manage to convince themselves that doing wrong is alright. Tell me, how does one get to that place? Toys are relatively benign, but certainly the world is full of people who do wrong but believe that it's entirely fine.

sith_killer_99
05-05-2005, 12:37 PM
I agree with Stillakid. If you buy these at retail with the sole purpose of selling them for a profit you deny local kids and collectors the opportunity to buy them at retail. That just ain't cool IMO. :Pirate:

Darth Chicken Head
05-06-2005, 10:09 PM
this now makes sense to me , as in why the original poster got so p'od at sooo many people who talked smack on ebay peeps . replying to post's that had that topic ..not really specifing ( in the few posts i did read all the way thru ) that she sold stuff , just giving it to the person mad at an ebay sale for whatever reason . well , like i said , now i know . good for me , huh ??:rolleyes:

InsaneJediGirl
05-07-2005, 03:33 PM
I've had more problems with sellers than buyers.Perhaps people find the items cheaper/in the store,dont want to pay for two,then leave the seller with the toys/etc.Perhaps you should just give up selling SW items on eBay if you have so many problems.