PDA

View Full Version : OT on ROTS Cards???

ROTJLuke
05-04-2005, 09:18 AM
In all the mist of EP.III, Hasbro has to have some sort of plan to release OT figures on this carding. Are we going to see new and improved sculpts (i.e. removable limbs...better face and costume likeness..etc.) on these figures, or will the be rehashes? Ive been out of the game (again) for a bit...but Ive gotten heavily into it as a way to spend $5 on a SW fig than a pack of smokes. :) Sorry if its in the wrong place, dont hate me for it, hah, and yea, thats basically about it. Thanks, hope to hear from yall soon!

ROTJLuke

P.S. I do think the EP. III figs kick ***....

Scackmgack
05-04-2005, 09:41 AM
I doubt you will see OT figures on these new cards. With their recent predeliction for changing cards, I am sure Hasbro will come up with something new for the new line the Early Bird is previewing...

I'd love to see them continue using the old cards like they did with the VOTC figs.

dindae
05-04-2005, 10:12 AM
I think it would be like the EI cards. Only EIII figs on this card and when they start back with OT figures either start a new scheme or split off and do two lines at the same time.

Kidhuman
05-04-2005, 11:29 AM
Whatever they do, I hope they get rid of these curvced bubbles.

JON9000
05-04-2005, 02:11 PM
I hate ROTS cardbacks with a passion.

Darth Spectre
05-04-2005, 04:17 PM
I actually like the packaging of the ROTS figures a great deal. The round bubble does it make it hard to stack them or store them in cases, that much is true. But it was a good original idea to help generate even more interest for the last big go-around for collectors ever for Star Wars. And yes, considering how Hasbro changes their cards all the time, the point is really moot.

beckmen
05-04-2005, 05:20 PM
Yeah, I think the ROTS packaging is the most eye-catching and cool looking card set-up to date.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-04-2005, 05:41 PM
I doubt you will see OT figures on these new cards. With their recent predeliction for changing cards, I am sure Hasbro will come up with something new for the new line the Early Bird is previewing...

I'd love to see them continue using the old cards like they did with the VOTC figs.
Hasbro said that the Early Bird figures are a one-time deal and they aren't "restarting" the line with figures like these after ROTS. But without a doubt, after this year, there will be a new line that encompasses all six movies. I don't think they will/should release non-ROTS figures on the lava card, that would be really dumb. They are, however, releasing Luke's green saber (again) in this packaging, so who knows.

JediTricks
05-04-2005, 06:50 PM
This is an acceptable forum for this discussion, but that title HAS to be changed. ROTJLuke, post here what you want the title to be, or tomorrow one of the mods will just give it the title they think is most appropriate.

On the personal level, I don't think OT figs would work on this cardback, it seems VERY specific to this film. I'd take 'em if they released 'em, but I don't see it happening.

ROTJLuke
05-04-2005, 07:22 PM
Call it: OT on ROTS Cards

Turbowars
05-04-2005, 08:40 PM
What are you guys on, Dope? The ROTS card is the worst to date. Right next to it is the Ep1.

Ji'dai
05-04-2005, 11:00 PM
Watcha talkin' about? We have OT characters on ROTS cards: R2-D2, C-3PO, Chewbacca, the crimson Royal Guard, Yoda, Darth Vader, and Emperor Palpatine.

I like the ROTS cards. I'll be tired of looking at them in six months, but I like 'em now. Hard to juggle more than four figures at once since they don't stack well, so I end up dropping one or two on the way to the checkout. Hopefully the next figure line will come packaged in little b&w boxes with a mini-display window and an SRP of 3.99.

I collect toys not colored cardboard. Plus I'm getting tired of price increases likely due to manufacturers catering to the MOC-collector niche market by creating more complex and expensive packaging that displays a toy without the need to open it.

bats1990
05-04-2005, 11:21 PM
I really like the ROTS packaging. I too think it is very eye catching. It is a pain to try and carry more than three at a time though. The only cardbacks I have liked more in recent years is the classic looking Vintage OTC and OTC cardbacks. That is strictly out of nostalgia though. I would love to see OTC type cardbacks and have the line encompass all six movies with new sculpts of various figures and not re-package previous figures. I keep some MOC but mostly I open them up and set them up in scenes. We will just have to wait and see.

Kidhuman
05-04-2005, 11:55 PM
Title changed JT and ROTJLuke. Added question marks to the title, since it is a question

Fluke Skywalker
05-05-2005, 08:35 AM
I hated the ROTS cards when I saw them for the first time last July/August. Of course, that was right during my OTC/VOTC nirvana.

It's not that I love them now, the static stickers tend to be bubbled and the look is a bit too loud, but the curved bubble design has led to fewer dented/defective bubbles than the squared off design, though I certainly like that look better.

I can't see Hasbro having a seperate cardback for the PT figures and the OT figures once ROTS' innital line runs it's course (It would be neat though!). I think Hasbro knows the collectors love the OTC look and will return to something similar in the not too distant future, though I kinda think the curved bubble may be here to stay for some reason. :neutral:

ROTJLuke
05-05-2005, 08:58 AM
seeing as Ep. III is the last movie, will the SW line of figures in general be wiped out tho? There are soo many that collectors havent seen done (or done correctly) that are wanted, of the core characters and the misc. characters. I hope they returen to the OTC cardbacks, I do like those cards, and I hope they start to redo a lot of older figures, but with articulation, accuracy, and detail. The saga line basically gave kids their "action features" and yet, I remember when I hardcore collected about 7 years ago (being younger myself) I never wanted stupid action features. I liked the neutral pose with accurate acessories. What ever happened to that hasbro? I thought Kenner did a fine job...and once they merged or were bought out or rather became a devision of your co. the figure quality changed some what. Dont get me wrong, I love the figures you have put out, action features sucked but I bought um anyways, but I think now, once the Ep. III bananza dies down, you focus on us collectors, and really put out a line of core characters from all six movies (to start w/ the core, move on to the misc. such as aliens and pod racers and such) that has great detail, articulation, accurate acessories, and NO action features. Then I would be happy.

oh and turbowars, its not dope. Im strictly a PCP kinda guy. ;)

xavier311_max
05-05-2005, 11:33 AM
This is an acceptable forum for this discussion, but that title HAS to be changed. ROTJLuke, post here what you want the title to be, or tomorrow one of the mods will just give it the title they think is most appropriate.

FIne with me, I was just asking a question. I think its great that other people have added great ideas/questions.

sith_killer_99
05-05-2005, 12:13 PM
At CIII the Hasbro rep told me that there will only be the 56 basic figures on the Lava card, that's it! They do not plan to continue the ROTS style packaging.

Thankfully! :)

ROTJLuke
05-05-2005, 05:59 PM
ooh wow...no stuff..no more figures after 56? I wonder whats next to come...

Kidhuman
05-05-2005, 07:27 PM
There will be more figures, but not in these cases. Hopefully they will go back to the OTC Style backings.

ROTJLuke
05-06-2005, 08:48 AM
good....I like the OTC packaging as well, more so than the ROTS, but I really dont have a problem with the ROTS packaging....its different from what weve always had, and sometimes change is good...

sith_killer_99
05-06-2005, 11:32 AM
I asked about the OTC packaging as well, the rep told me she wasn't sure what card style they were going to go with.

I told her the OTC/POTC style was very popular and most collectors I have spoken to want to see it return. She seemed surprised to hear that. I told her I thought it was the best pacakaging style they had come up with since the line started back up in 1995!

Ji'dai
05-06-2005, 02:45 PM
I don't like the SAGA/OTC bubble since it's much too large. I hope they stick with the slimmer profile of the ROTS bubbles.

ROTJLuke
05-07-2005, 12:28 PM
The carding on the ROTS isnt bad at all, I really do like it, yet if and hopefully if they do go back to the OT characters, they should imo return to the OTC style carding. Its a nice and simple design, and its really a nice complement to the figures with the backdrop and what have you. But, if you really want to know what I think, I say hell, bring back the red cards, ahhah! :D

WesleySr
05-07-2005, 04:51 PM
I would like to see them go back to the OTC cards as well, but I would like to see one thing changed. Remember how the Clone Wars and the later Saga cards had the movie name down the side of them? I would like to see the figure name (and # if they continue #'ing them) printed down the side of the card. That would be pretty cool and it would help when looking through pegs full of figures to find any new figures or a variation on an older figure.

ANEEL
05-07-2005, 05:19 PM
Otc & Potj Combination Would Be Nice

darko666
05-07-2005, 05:40 PM
i would rather see the VOTC cards make a comeback. we had the 12 figures from the OT, that is one of the best lines of figures to be released by Hasbro. the card is simple and to the point. it has a pic of the character, the movie their from, and the figure in the lower left corner. thats how it should be. combine the old with the new. i doubt thats what will happen, but it would be nice to see.

ROTJLuke
05-08-2005, 01:21 PM
Agreed...up above, sounds good...I still loved the red cards tho...haha...

samskull
05-09-2005, 03:39 PM
Heck, let's go back to POTF2 figures too. Who needs articulation and acurate likenesses?! I loved "Monkey Leia" and "Fall-on-my-face Dagobah Luke." And come on...the new wookies look a lot like Chewie '96. He was a classic!

The next line will probably be TV related anyway... and have Shannon Dougherty as a Jedi Be-atch! Well, maybe I'm only half right.

ROTJLuke
05-09-2005, 04:34 PM
I hope you werent taking a shot...but yea..the OTC card style is my fav. at the moment for OTC figures...it makes sense, but I also would like to see them do a nod to the first SW fig cards, and put the rest of the OTC figures (when ever made, of course) on the OTC Vintage cards, with the picture of the character on the card...nice and simple...

samskull
05-09-2005, 05:12 PM
Don't fret ROTJLuke - I'm just on a high from getting my ROTS Midnight showing tickets!

I agree with you too - keep the card simple. Maybe have some stats on the character. Those were cool cards when you could keep the little bio (ala GiJoe figs) though the figures were "super-sized."

Remember, how we praised the day when "New Likeness" Leia (with big bottom) arrived. Oh, and the flood of Farmboy Lukes.

Hasbro - Let's keep the packaging to a minimum (forget Starcases and ae$tetically pleasing bubbles, forget slides and commtech chips, forget those flippy-changy pop-up book things)... and spend all the money on the figure and a nice sturdy weapon or accessory. Keep it simple - keep it fun!

ROTJLuke
05-10-2005, 08:56 AM
Agreed Samskull, very nicely put! :)

Veers
05-10-2005, 09:20 PM
I sure hope not. I hate to spend money on figs I already have. If they do, I have no choice but to get them since I collect every fig. :eek:

samskull
05-11-2005, 08:58 AM
You archival collectors have it very hard. Someday I hope to visit the Star Wars Toy Museum and see all the variants, exclusives and various repacks that I passed on all these years. lol