PDA

View Full Version : Question about Gentle Giant busts

Monstermile
05-04-2005, 07:06 PM
I hadn't really paid any attention to theses before but one caught my eye on ebay. So I was checking out the GG website and saw a few more that I might be interested in. Question is are they worth the money?? Are they detailed?? What are they made of?? Are they on the caliber of MR and Code 3 as far as higher end collectibles?? Are they individually numbered?? I have no desire to try and get all of them. Mostly just whatever ones catch my eye. Kinda like the Unleashed line. But I don't want to bother if they really aren't worth the money.

Also are there any super rare ones that if one didn't want to sell his soul to buy, one should not even bother looking for??

sith_killer_99
05-04-2005, 10:19 PM
Ahhhh, we have another one!

Welcome to the boards and the wonderful world of Gentle Giants! I bought my first mini bust about 6 months ago and now have 13 in my collection, plus all the Bust-Ups!

I will try to answer each of your questions.

Question is are they worth the money??

Absolutly! As far as higher end collectables go, these are about the best. Mainly because most of them can be had for $50.00 plus or minus. Some go for as little as $35-$40! So while these are often considered a higher end collectable they are not out of reach for most of us and don't require saving up for months just to buy one.

Are they detailed??

The detail on these are truely amazing!

What are they made of??

I believe they are ceramic, I can't say for sure. They are also hand painted and professionally finished.

Are they on the caliber of MR and Code 3 as far as higher end collectibles??

In my opinion, yes every bit! I like them better than the Master Replicas mini sabers.

Are they individually numbered??

They are individually numbered and each one comes with a corresponding numbered certificate of authenticity. The early COA's are about the size of a small post card. They soon changed to a card that is the same size as a football or baseball card.

I have no desire to try and get all of them. Mostly just whatever ones catch my eye. Kinda like the Unleashed line.

That's what I did, I ended up buying OT characters only. Mostly because the early busts didn't have arms and kinda freaked me out a little, but those were all PT characters.

Also are there any super rare ones that if one didn't want to sell his soul to buy, one should not even bother looking for??

There are a few really rare busts. The first Darth Vader usually goes for around $300.00 on Ebay and the Boba Fett usually catches $200.00 or more. The Vader was pretty limited, I believe 3,500 pieces the Fett is just popular, there were actually 7,500 produced. Gentle Giants has said that they will not re-release these busts. However, they do have a new Darth Vader sculpt coming out soon for ROTS and I am fairly sure they will give us another Boba Fett eventually. There are a few other rare busts like EPII Yoda, color variants of the EPII Clones and a few Convention exclusives, like the new CIII Sandtrooper (limited to just 2,500).

My first mini bust from GG was the Deluxe Stormtrooper which has interchangable arms/hands that allows for several different poses. I love it soo much I bought two of them.

Gentle Giants has also branched out to statues and has a series of micro busts they call "Bust-Ups". But the biggest news coming out of GG (IMO) is the "Armory" collection due out later this year. These will be mini replicas of various helmets from the films. I saw these at CIII and was blown away!

Anyway, if you plan on getting into collecting these be warned, they are addictive!

Jayspawn
05-04-2005, 11:14 PM
Welcome to the boards Monstermile! You've been greeted by sith killer 99, who is absolutly correct on all your questions!

I started collecting these back when Attack of the Clones came out years ago. My 1st mini-bust was Obi-Wan Kenobi and I havnt stopped yet. They are truely amazing collectibles. The quality and detail are incredible! Gentle Giant is far from the best run compant -but they're getting better (slowly) and have a great product!

bobafrett
05-04-2005, 11:51 PM
I saw the first wave of these at CII with the characters from Episode II, and I don't believe any of those had arms, just the upper torso and head. I got really excited when they started having arms or at least on arm, and when they went to the OT busts. I own 17 to date, with three of those being Imperial Stormtroopers. I wish I had the money to get the entire set, but I do get the ones that catch my eye.

I say they are worth it, if you can get them at the retail price. There is no way I could afford to dish out the prices some of the rare or exclusive busts are getting these days. I was lucky enough to find a Vader at retail, as well as a Baba and a Jango Fett.

dr_evazan22
05-05-2005, 12:20 AM
OMG! Now there's actually another SSG'er in Delaware!!!!!!!

Yes, definitely worth it at original prices. GG uses a laser scanner to scan actual props / actors / costumes, or uses the computer model as in the case of the clones.

Check out the "Official GG Thread" for more info and opinions.

Welcome aboard!

Reefer Shark
05-05-2005, 01:25 AM
Yeah welcome to the boards. Watch out for these busts: They're like chips, you can't eat just one. :cool:

Monstermile
05-05-2005, 04:45 AM
Thanks for the feedback and the welcome. Especially you sith killer. Looks like I'm going to start a new collection. I've had my eye on an IG-88 on ebay. And the prices are pretty reasonable on that one so I guess it is a good way to get my feet wet. If they are as nice as you guys say they are I'll start grabbing the other ones I want. Figures the Fett and Vader would be the high dollars ones. I'll probably be passing on those until I downsize my collection.

Thanks again.

ThePurpleSaber
05-05-2005, 02:26 PM
If you have a Suncoast near you ya might want to check them out for that IG-88 or any others first. Here at mine they have the IG-88 right now 25% off with all the other Star Wars stuff they sell.

Monstermile
05-05-2005, 05:38 PM
Are the ones sold at Suncoast the real deal or are they some sort of non-limited store versions??

ThePurpleSaber
05-05-2005, 06:40 PM
They are the real deal limited ones. I've gotten the Stormtrooper and Luke Pilot ones from there and they come w/ the card that tells which number yours is and on the bottom of the bust it tells you also. They just buy certain quantities from GG and sell them.

Monstermile
05-06-2005, 08:23 AM
What is the best and cheapest place to pre-order these things besides the GG site?? I notice there are two Sandtroopers coming out later this year and I'm thining about trying to secure both in advance. There are a few sites that have them and a few ebay sellers, but I'm not sure I want to take that chance.

sith_killer_99
05-06-2005, 11:27 AM
I have ordered some GG stuff from www.actionfigurexpress.com in the past and had good experiences. They have pre-orders for $5.00-$10.00 below retail. I would recommend going there.

Monstermile
05-06-2005, 02:45 PM
LOL. AFX is where I went ahead and preordered them shortly after my post. Shipped the total came to just shy of $103.

BTW I took the plunge today. I picked up the Bossk at Suncoast for 25% off. Was hoping to find the IG-88 but no luck. The only other they had was X-Wing Luke. Also noticed they had the .45 MR sabers there. Don't recall seeing them there before.

Turbowars
05-07-2005, 02:58 PM
You should have picked up Luke. He is very nice when set up with his helmet.

As for what they are made of, I thought they wear resin?

Monstermile
05-07-2005, 06:32 PM
You should have picked up Luke. He is very nice when set up with his helmet.

As for what they are made of, I thought they wear resin?

I have looked over most of the human characters and with the exception of Tarkin I think I am going to pass. They just don't do it for me.

Turbowars
05-07-2005, 07:23 PM
You will be sorry when you can't get them at retail.

Jayspawn
05-09-2005, 11:09 AM
Luke is one of the best minibusts GG has ever made! Get it while you can Monstermile.

Monstermile
05-09-2005, 11:12 AM
Really?? It is that good. Maybe I'll go pick it up then.

sith_killer_99
05-09-2005, 11:46 AM
I don't usually go for the human sculpts either (Unleashed, Kotobukiya, etc.) but I did pick up the Luke and I don't regret it one bit. :D BTW, it is the same head sculpt they used for the Luke Stormtrooper mini bust.

Monstermile
05-09-2005, 03:20 PM
Speaking of head sculpts. I know GG uses digital 3-D scanning and whatnot. How do they do it with the human characters?? None of them look anything like they did 25+ years ago.

Monstermile
05-09-2005, 08:37 PM
Peer pressure sucks. Went out and bought the Luke. It is a damn nice sculpt. So within less than a week of deciding to collect these I have:

Bossk
Luke X-Wing
IG-88 (in the mail)
Leia Boushh (pre-ordered)
Both Sandtroopers (pre-ordered)

And currently shopping for the best price for:
Tarkin
Stormtrooper
Greedo
Biker Scout
Boba Fett (yeah right)
Darth Vader (hahahaha)

bobafrett
05-09-2005, 08:44 PM
Peer pressure sucks. Went out and bought the Luke. It is a damn nice sculpt. So within less than a week of deciding to collect these I have:

Bossk
Luke X-Wing
IG-88 (in the mail)

Tarkin
Stormtrooper
Greedo
Biker Scout
Boba Fett (yeah right)
Darth Vader (hahahaha)

Excellent, now go out and complete your collection. Only by having every GG bust ever made will you become the most powerful of all collectors!

BTW, I have three of the Stormtroopers standing around my Tarkin bust. It looks wicked!

sith_killer_99
05-09-2005, 10:12 PM
Excellent, now go out and complete your collection. Only by having every GG bust ever made will you become the most powerful of all collectors!

NO! Only by pushing the envelope can you truely be a Master. I have already made no less than 5 custom Bust-Ups to compliment my Mini Busts! Bust-Up Han in Stormtrooper Disguise, Bust-Up Luke in Stormtrooper Disguise, Bust-Up Sandtrooper CPL, SGT and Squad Leader! Now I am the Master! :evil:

Oh, and I need to order more Stormtrooper sets from SSW.com ;)

Bossk
Luke X-Wing
IG-88 (in the mail)

Tarkin
Stormtrooper
Greedo
Biker Scout
Boba Fett (yeah right)
Darth Vader (hahahaha)

Nice! :D

mm74md
05-10-2005, 12:11 PM

Darth Vader (hahahaha)

Have you seen the pictures of the ROTS Vader bust at CIII? You will be able to get a nice vader bust for retail this summer/fall

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showpost.php?p=391806&postcount=365

Monstermile
05-10-2005, 06:11 PM
Hadn't seen that pic before. Pretty nice. I'd still like to eventually pic up the originsl, but this will fill the void until I do.

Reefer Shark
05-10-2005, 08:56 PM
I cant wait to get that Vader bust! I also can't wait to see/get some new clone busts, those AOTC ones are the shiznit!

Monstermile
06-21-2005, 05:03 AM
Well a little over a month later and my collection has grown quite a bit. I know have:

Bossk
Luke X-Wing
IG-88
Tarkin
Stormtrooper
Greedo
Biker Scout
Gamorrean Guard
CIII Stormtrooper (for retail on June 1st from GG)

On pre-order:

Leia Boushh
Han Solo
Both Sandtroopers
Yoda
Darth Vader

What an addiction these things have turned out to be. Just wish I had discovered them earlier so I could have picked up Vader and Fett for retail.