PDA

View Full Version : End of POTJ.........begin the Star Wars....

INDIANA
08-20-2001, 08:50 PM
Maybe I missed it, did Hasbro say anything about the change over at the Chicago convention? Are the figures shown (Rebel Trooper, FX-7, etc.) the last of the POTJ line AND, as history will recount, going to be VERY HARD to find (everyone got thier Death Star Troopers, Ree-Yees, Space and Dark Troopers and the Fan-Club 4 with no problem?)? OR, are they to be the first of the new line that will also incorporate the EII figures (and probably the preview figures as well)?
Did they also narrow down the probable release date for the Wal-Mart exclusives? "Fall" is almost here.....

GNT
08-21-2001, 04:01 AM
I think POTJ will be around for awhile yet,after the EP2 figures are out on their cards probably near christmas EP2's line would prbobly join the POTJ line and then Hasbro could drop the POTJ title so it's just "Star Wars" on the cards

Just My Opinion!

evenflow
08-21-2001, 07:32 AM
I think that the line will last, much like GNT said. The lines will probably just be incorporated much how like Episode I was.

Eternal Padawan
08-21-2001, 08:59 AM
Hasbro's official party line is that the two lines (EP2 and POTJ) will "complement" each other. I take that to mean both will be in stores simultaneously. Which is a good thing. Twice as much shelf space for Star Wars!!

JEDIpartner
08-21-2001, 09:40 AM
Do you really think that the store will devote that much shelf space to STAR WARS product after the E1 glut? I am kinda scared that they won't. Even with a movie in the theatres, it looks as though the retailers will be shying away from loading up the shelves with our favourite loot!

Oh, well... let's just hope that doesn't happen! I can just see it now... both lines running and the movie comes out... Mr. Retailer says, "Oh! That one reads 'Episode II'- We'll just carry THAT one!"

Ryan the Hutt
08-21-2001, 11:24 AM
Call me old fashioned but I think Hasbro should have done this years ago. With all the title changes for the line it's pretty difficult for people to keep up with, especially those that are trying to get into StarWars toys for the first time. If you think about how crazy things have gotten in this hobby over the past few years it's understandable why our numbers have dwindled so much. I personally wouldn't even try to start up collecting in this stage of the game.

INDIANA
08-21-2001, 01:56 PM
aLLOW ME TO CLARIFY...

i'VE READ ON OTHER SITES THAT THE POTJ LINE IS SOON TO BE NO MORE, REPLACED BY A UNIFIED LINE UNDER THE GENERAL TITLE STAR WARS.

MY ORIGINAL QUESTION WAS TO SEE IF ANYONE KNEW ABOUT THE CHANGE, OR IF HASBRO SAID ANYTHING OVER THE WEEKEND.

IF TRUE, WHICH FIGURES WILL BE THE LINE-ENDERS AND HISTORICALLY IMPOSSIBLE TO GET?

Lobito
08-21-2001, 02:06 PM
I have a bad feeling about this...lets hope that if hasbro changes the name of the line, the last figures of TPOJ are not impossible to find.

jedi master sal
08-21-2001, 05:10 PM
I think the line should just be Star Wars.

After all this is the same universe we're talking about no matter what time line it is. The use of EpII or the like does help to distinguish itself from the rest of the line so in a movie year this would be prudent but after that they should just be incorporated.

What do you think?

Sidiously Darth
08-21-2001, 05:22 PM
...at least for the completists out there. I can just see a windfall of new card variations and the like. Thank the maker I open all my stuff!

GNT
08-22-2001, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by Sidiously Darth
...at least for the completists out there. I can just see a windfall of new card variations and the like. Thank the maker I open all my stuff!

Thank god I don't collect variations :) or I'd be broke in a week

Eternal Padawan
08-22-2001, 02:03 AM
When I said "twice as much shelf space" I was thinking of the other toy lines like POKEMON, Marvel Toy Biz super heros, and Power Rangers. They seem to have multiple lines of toys out at the same time and A LOT more shelf space then Star Wars. Last time I was in Wal Mart, Power Rangers, Digimon, and Pokemon had a whole ROW (24 feet) to themselves and SW was crammed in between WWF wrestlers and the new Final Fantasy stuff and was sharing a foot with the G.I Joe two packs. maybe if Star Wars had multople lines, they would also get more footage in the aisles.

I can dream can't I?:(

As to the topic at hand, Hasbro might drop POTJ in favor of plain ol' Star Wars, but Episode II will be a separate line for the time being. guaranteed.

2-1B
08-22-2001, 03:25 AM
I noticed in the Convention section that Boba Binks was in Chicago. Maybe he heard something there?

QLD
08-22-2001, 07:23 AM
I think they should all just be Star Wars figures, and then leave it alone.

evenflow
08-22-2001, 07:55 AM
Sadly, I do collect variations. Eventually I think it will be incorporated into one line.

OxsLemure
08-22-2001, 08:39 AM
Oh this sounds just brilliant! Now I have to worry about if I find the last POTJs. I like the idea of just having them be Star Wars. I just hope they don't put out like 4,000 of the last POTJ and let it go. I also hope they don't do the all EP2 stuff when it hits. There may be a few from the new movie I get but certainly not all of them. Made that mistake and luckily got rid of them before the fall of the line. A walken figure will rule..but the rest is up to good sculpting and my not wanting to kill the character!
Good luk to all in finding the new stuff...Chad

Rollo Tomassi
08-22-2001, 12:40 PM
I don't think you can really compare the Episode 1 and POTJ lines. E1 was a lesson in what NOT to do with a toy line. Binge and Purge. Flood and drought. POTJ on the other hand has been slow and steady wins the race. Even if they end the line and start a STAR WARS only line, the last POTJ figures will still be plentiful.

Jargo
08-22-2001, 03:52 PM
What would rock my boat big time would be, for the cards to be the same and very generic looking with just a star wars logo and the number of the film that character comes from. something like this in fact... (you'll have to imagine the bubble that the figure sits in.) Just plain and simple and stylistically superior. :)

Obi-Dan Kenobi
08-22-2001, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by OxsLemure
A walken figure will rule..

If you're referring to Christopher Walken, he's not in the movie. That was just a rumor.

This announcment seems to be in conflist with what Hasbro said a year or so ago. They said the Ep II line would DEFINITELY be a seperate line. Maybe it will be seperate, and it just won't have the name of the movie on the packaging. That would be nice; whole cases of Ep II figures and other cases of figures from the other movies shipping alongside them.

Neo Solo
08-22-2001, 10:15 PM
Hey! Mr. Emperor Jargo, SIR... me again... heh heh

Uh... uh... she... uh... she was uh... she was in Ep1. Uh... uh... not Ep2. ...sir

Cool graphics, though, dude!

GNT
08-23-2001, 02:06 AM
I think your card idea,JARGO would be a bad move for Hasbro

They use bright colours and stuff that attract buyers unlike an old women on a black card with EP2 written above it.

I think Hasbro would lose more business.

Jargo
08-23-2001, 08:02 PM
There's always one who has no imagination and takes things too literally....

Twas but an idea tossed into the general topic to illustrate what my preference on the matter is. Simple cards without flashy packaging and less packaging overall.

bigbarada
08-23-2001, 08:44 PM
I understand what you were trying to do JARGO, I think a cool reference photo would be a nice addition. With all the busy, neon colored cards already on the toys racks I think a simple black card would really stand out. Just like the vintage line did.

Jargo
08-23-2001, 09:18 PM
Fine, put a big picture on the cardback. I just don't really want to see one on the front. I've got books for pictures of characters so I don't need to look at them on the packaging. Les packaging more figures per case, per shelf, per wall. More variety in the cases too.