PDA

View Full Version : Arena Footage

Co Jo-Da
01-09-2002, 02:09 PM
The folks over at TheForce.net has put up 29 seconds of Arena Footage...It's no big deal, is just the shot seen in the 'Mystery' Teaser where Anakin is being chained up in between Pademe and Obi-Wan... The dailoge is:

Anakin
I retransmitted it, just as you had requested, Master...Than we decided to come and rescue you...

Obi-Wan
Good job...

TheForce.net report reads:

They are in the editing room cutting together this great scene we saw from the trailer. They talk about different ways to cut it, and after this viewing the scene fades and they discuss another option.

Sligty_Worride asks if this scene reminds anyone else of the crucifixion of Christ. Here's his observation:

There were 3 people being "crucified" at the same time and the "chosen one" was on the middle stake depicted in most biblical epics about the life of Christ, just as Anakin is there! Of course, all 3 of them are just being chained up to be mauled by the Reek, but do you guys see the symbolism here, regardless if it was intentional or not? Those close-ups of each of the three with their arms chained up on the stakes really reminded me of those biblical crucifixion scenes.

I think the whole crucifixion thing is a real stretch but I wouldn't put it past GL...

Plus there is a quick shot of Mace Windu using the force, possibly on the Reek...VERY COOL...

ANY THOUGHTS???????

Lord Tenebrous
01-09-2002, 04:16 PM
The connection to crucifiction is strained, at best. It was a Roman torture device that somehow became a symbol of hope. Although some themes in SW take from Christianity, those same themes echo throughout various mythologies as well.

Eh, we'll have to see. Anakin is certainly no Christ, and the Force is certainly not God, I can say that much.

Co Jo-Da
01-09-2002, 04:56 PM
I agree with you, Lord Tenebrous.... It's funny that kind of connection made but oh well, I was just passing on what theforce.net reported. But the finished product (in the 'Mystery' Teaser) looks awesome, aspesecially the Arena Background...

Jargo
01-09-2002, 05:27 PM
i believe the scene with Mace is where the Reek has trodden on his saber and he is attempting to retrieve it by calming the Reek using the force. Jango is the other side of the Reek trying to get a good pot shot at mace and also trying to prevent mace from reaching his saber.

This is what it looks like based on the leaked storyboards we saw a while back. I could be wrong, I could be right but it's sort of hohum cool in a lukewarm way. Was it worth putting just 29 seconds of footage up? And so tiny too. Well, I suppose it fills a dead weekday with gossip doesn't it? I mean look at me here discussing it with you. I guess it made its own point in the end that mugs like me will download silly scraps of movie out of boredom in the weeks leading up to the release so that we can have our daily fix. I trhink I need thereapy. I can't believe I actually went and downloaded that clip. What was I thinking? :stupid:

mabudonicus
01-10-2002, 02:28 PM
I'm not sure if this is relevant to this or not, but there is a split second of the mystery trailer in which what looks like a huge, shaggy figure is resisting a group of assailants. Is this a bit of the arena sequence and if so, could it be a quick glimpse of The immens shaggy figure? Or am I just going star-weird? (the scene I'm referring to looks kind of hazy and grey, and it's real short) I'm not sure if this is the place to bring it up, but I must know if anyone else has noticed this scene, especially if my hunch is correct. Please let me know if anyone knows anything on this one.(after all, the timing would make sense, 20 years,right?)

Lord Tenebrous
01-10-2002, 05:26 PM
there is a split second of the mystery trailer in which what looks like a huge, shaggy figure is resisting a group of assailants.

The only scene that's even remotely like that is at 0:20, when the "flying wing" explodes. That's on Coruscant, at the beginning of the film. Corde is at center, with Naboo guards on either side.

mabudonicus
01-10-2002, 06:33 PM
My computer is dreadfully inadequate, so I can't make too much out of the trailers as I have seen them. Thanks for the clarification!!