PDA

View Full Version : Outlook is good for EIII

dindae
05-06-2005, 09:36 AM
I've been reading some reviews (trying to avoid spoilers). So far of the 7 i've seen 7 have given it a thumbs up. They range from steps above the other 2 prequels to masterpiece (Harry Knowles Aint it cool news). I can no longer hold back my excitement for this film. I have had the soundtrack playing in my car since I picked it up on Wednesday. I thought I was excited after C3 but seeing these reviews have taken away my fear of disappointment that marred AOTC pre veiwing excitement. 13 days so close and yet so long.

Pendo
05-06-2005, 11:25 AM
I am peeing myself with excitement. This movie is so gonna rock!

PENDO!

Kidhuman
05-06-2005, 11:35 AM
Im not sitting next to Pendo in the theatre. :beard:

2-1B
05-06-2005, 01:02 PM
Some of the complaints I've read sound like complaints I heard about AOTC and in those instances, I didn't even really find fault with those points anyway. So, this might be a good movie.

megaprime33
05-06-2005, 01:13 PM
I like to be my own critic when it comes to movies. I've seen movies where everyone gave it thumbs up and I've hated. Same goes the other way where I saw something everyone hated and I loved it. I know I'm going to love this movie, there is no doubt there. :)

dindae
05-06-2005, 01:54 PM
I normally don't put a whole lot of stock in what critics say but not having seen anyone trash it tells me it is better. So as much as I like the first two I know I will like this one more. The things critics trash like dialogue and acting did bother me. But seeing that these things have improved probably to a point that I won't be disappointed at all. I like using www.rottentomatoes.com since not only do they give you all the reviews in one spot they break up the response. For example TPM 62% approval with an average rating of 6/10 fan post were 68% and the major mass media reviewer gave it 40% with a 5/10. AOTC was 65% (6.5/10), 72%, 39% (5.5/10). Now right now ROTS is at 100% and 8.1/10. Granted there are only 5 entries but you can't beat 100%.

2-1B
05-07-2005, 12:48 AM
I loved the most recent version of The Punisher but Entertainment Weekly (which I subscribe to) gave it an F . . . that movie is a solid B or B+ for me. :)

CaptainSolo1138
05-10-2005, 11:40 AM
I loved the most recent version of The Punisher but Entertainment Weekly (which I subscribe to) gave it an F . . . that movie is a solid B or B+ for me. :)
I don't put much stock in anything EW reviews. It seems like if it doesn't involve the White Stripes, they rip it.

JON9000
05-10-2005, 12:19 PM
The critical reviews I have read (usually skipping the middle, spoiler filled paragraphs) indicate that this, finally, is a return to the Star Wars we all know and love. Rottentomatoes score is 91% so far, which places it on a par with ANH, below ESB, above ROTJ, and far above TPM and ATOC. This is significant because it seems to have become fashionable among critics to bash Lucas.

I can safely tell you without revealing anything (I wound up getting a few mild spoilers along the way), that GL dovetails everything very well, that he has a lot of tricks up his sleeve to keeps things interesting while you know the basic plot points, and that he has solved the pacing problems of I & II. I swear, people were raving about his directing.

Also, there were raves about the CGI, and how everything looks so much better in contrast to TPM.

Most importantly, apparently you finally will realize how much you have, without knowing it, become attached to these characters, and the movie has, get this, a visceral emotional impact.

I am so stoked to see this. I had to wait 15 years for Star Wars, but I had to wait 21 years for real Star Wars! :D :D :D

2-1B
05-10-2005, 01:51 PM
I am attached to these characters and I already know it, otherwise I wouldn't be watching them. :D

I read some more reviews last night, many positives with some negative criticisms . . . I still say though, that if a person hated TPM and AOTC that much, it's going to be hard to get into this one. We'll see.

Darth Kirk
05-10-2005, 10:55 PM
So far, on May 10, 2005 at 8:00pm on Rotten Tomatoes they have 'Revenge' ranked with a 93% favorable average rating- that is pretty awesome considering the reviews are a collection of many different reviewers from print and the net, and aint it cool news aint even included in the bunch yet...
Check status of reviews here-
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_wars_3/

Oh, and I am proud of my students and the fundraiser we put on, would love to share with ya'll the Star Wars Festival I had at work...
http://www.lausd.net/King_MS/Faculty/Palayan_html/Festival_html/games.htm

JON9000
05-11-2005, 08:52 AM
This can be merged with "Outlook is good for Episode III"

I am pretty psyched about the reviews too, DK.

Hellboy
05-11-2005, 07:15 PM
I've read a few reviews and for the most part the people who haven't liked ROTS don't seem to care for SW in general or have bought into the negative hype surrounding the first two prequels. Thats fine because those aren't opinions that I value as I'm happy with the way TPM and AOTC turned out for the most part.

I agree with the points you guys made about EW. Very rarely do I ever agree with the two main reviewers Owen Gleiberman and Lisa Schwarzbaum. I'll have to disagree with Caesar's comment regarding The Punisher though. As much as we tend to have similar taste in movies my friend I absolutely hated this supposed comic book adaptation, so I'd have to say in that instance their assessments were dead on. :D

If I remember correctly EW gave TPM a B and AOTC a C+. Personally I'd give TPM a B+ and AOTC an A-. Hopefully ROTS will be an A+ in my book but I'd be surprised to see EW give it anything above a B.

El Chuxter
05-11-2005, 07:35 PM
Yeah, apparently we're in for a real treat (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=27526). :p

Veers
05-19-2005, 09:56 PM
This movie should surpass Episodes 1 and 2 at the box office. I hope it breaks the all time opening weekend gross.

2-1B
05-05-2008, 12:38 AM
I enjoyed the Midnight showing.

These guys (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeKEoM5u4Ks&feature=related) found some faults with the movie but liked it overall.

Deoxyribonucleic
05-05-2008, 12:42 AM
As did I, went with a group of 16

bobafrett
05-05-2008, 12:51 AM
Too bad Ebert has been silenced at least vocally from his throat cancer.

http://www.thecancerblog.com/category/throat-cancer/

DarthQuack
05-05-2008, 10:26 AM
And the other ones dead correct? hooray!

bobafrett
05-05-2008, 06:48 PM
And the other ones dead correct? hooray!

Siskel yes, Roeper no.

JimJamBonds
05-06-2008, 01:56 AM
As did I, went with a group of 16

Same here, I was with a smaller group but I loved it. Although the theater was so warm it felt like I was in a sauna.

mtriv73
05-06-2008, 11:19 AM
Outlook isn't good for anything. I prefer Eudora or Gmail.