PDA

View Full Version : That Slave 1, She's Really Something!

JediCole
01-09-2002, 01:36 PM
Well, we now have a crisp, clean image of the upcoming Slave 1 for AOTC. What do you think? I didn't really think I'd be buying one at first, yet now I can't help but count on it. According to the copy on the official website, it holds three figures in the cockpit (but given the oft-complained about action stance figures upcoming, it is difficult to imagine a splayed legged Jango Fett fitting into the cockpit). The promise of this vehicle holding three figures suggests the further possibility that there will be figures that are not posed for action, thereby giving them the ability to share the cramped interior space (though this also suggest a brand new, larger sculpt for the ship). I would suspect that three figures are "seated" with one in th front and one on either side of the figure up front. I don't think it could be big enough to sit three abreast.
Also, I thought that what appears to be a sliding panel which conceals the missle tubes was a nice touch. So often these extraneous missle ports are overdone and detract from the overall lines of some great vehicles.

So, what are your thoughts on this latest official offering?

derek
01-09-2002, 01:39 PM
based on the figure list for episode 2, we already know there will initially be two jango fett's released. one in full armor for the arena and one in the "kamino" outfit. the kamino outfit will probably be the one capable of sitting in the slave 1 so kiddies can recreate the select image we saw last year.

SirSteve
01-09-2002, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by derek
the kamino outfit will probably be the one capable of sitting in the slave 1 so kiddies can recreate the select image we saw last year.

The Jango Fett we have already seen on the Internet IS the Kamino version.

Tycho
01-09-2002, 01:57 PM
One or both Jango Fetts will have removeable helmets, but also - looking at the StarWars Insider pictures of Temura Morrison in costume, it appears Jango flies the ship OUT OF HIS ARMOR (maybe - it's hard to tell as the controls block some of our view).

But on Kamino at least (without spoiler discussions), there are scenes of Jango out of armor, too. We have pictures of this in the Insider (with his scene with Obi-Wan - it was rehersal, but not out of costume for the scene), and I'm sure he's out of armor when kicking it with his son in those -touching "Parent and Child" scenes.

So the question is whether there will be 2 Jango Fett "Kaminos" or a 'civilian Fett' figure, and if the battle stance figure Steve said is the "Kamino Fett," which armored one has a removeable helmet? (if not both). And finally, will they make a Genosis Arena Battle figure of Fett (with spoiler features)???

Beast
01-09-2002, 04:25 PM
The Slave 1 looks great, like I said elsewhre I'm going to have to buy two of these so I can re-paint one as the Empire Strikes Back version. It's nice to see that Hasbro has decided to start showing somethings to try to clean up the mess thanks to those photos that slipped out.

Can't wait to see what they will show us in the coming days and weeks ahead. But thankfully somemore news slipped out about the Amidala figure that we have seen pictures of as well. From Rebelscum comes this information:

Quick Drawing Femme Fatale
Mike: Hasbro is looking to put the "action" back in action figure for the upcoming line based on Episode II: Attack of the Clones. This is evident from the unfinished toy prototype images we saw last week from anonymous contributors. One of the figures which were previewed was that of Padmé Amidala wearing a white jumpsuit. According to sources, the figure will formally be called Padmé Amidala "Arena Escape". The brave heroine and former Queen, now a senator of the planet Naboo, is sentenced to death and attempts a daring escape from her captors. As seen with the "Coruscant Chase" Obi-Wan Kenobi at Hasbro's site, we can expect some cool accessories packaged with the new "basic" assortment of Episode II figures (you can refer to Jeremy's previous article about the different categories planned for SW02 by clicking here). "Arena Escape" Padmé will come with a "break apart" pillar and chains, and a (HUGE) blaster for "mi'lady". The figure also includes a "quick draw" action feature where Padmé raises her right arm to aim the blaster when her waist is twisted.

A few facts have also surfaced about the new Star Wars 2002 blue card. The SW02 cardback discontinues the action figure checklist seen with the first version of the Power of the Jedi cardback. It somewhat follows the look of the transitionary POTJ cards as far as having only 3-4 figures from the assortment pictured on the lower portion of the cardback. The title of the film appears on the upper right hand corner of the cardback with the SW02 logo, featuring the hand holding the lightsaber, on the upper left. A small synopsis of the film in white text is beneath the logo, followed by the name of the character (yellow text) and a description of the scene which the figure is based on. A sequence of 3 images showcasing the figure's action feature is in dead center, while an enlarged close up of the figure, stylized in a blue hue, works as the cardback's blue/black background.

Unlike the first wave of Episode I toys and following a trend seen with Power of the Jedi, Hasbro is adding a bit more interest with main core characters. By producing them with scene specific features and action oriented poses, it appears that Hasbro aims not only to meet the demand of an ever growing collector base, who expect high standards of authenticity and quality, but also that of the wider non-collector audience expected during the main thrust of AOTC's release this summer. Whether this formula will succeed with a very scrutinizing collecting contingent demanding articulation for more poseability remains to be seen. But based on the quality of the well received POTJ line as well as the anticipated strength and popularity of the Star Wars brand during a movie year, Hasbro is banking on a winner with SW02.

Sounds promising, looks like we will get non action feature versions of some of the figures we have seen so far. Just can't wait to see more official pics from Hasbro. Again, they have restored my faith in them. Just as long as we get normal non extreme posed action featured figures.

derek
01-09-2002, 06:01 PM
i guess i'm confused. based on published photos, jango wears two outfits. one is the armor, and the other is a "civilian" looking active wear, possibly worn under the armor. i assumed the second outfit was the "kamino" figure. we also know jango meets obi-wan when he's not wearing his armor. is that figure going to be made?

SirSteve
01-09-2002, 06:11 PM
JarJar - in regards to what that other site wrote, I am waiting for a reply back on if this kind of material is ok to post. If so, I will release the flood gates!

bigbarada
01-09-2002, 06:20 PM
Jar Jar, I'm still skeptical about Hasbro's plan for Ep2, I will have to actually see the product. However, I am very much opposed to the action features that article is talking about.

The Slave 1 does look very nice, except for the giant hole in the front where the missiles come out. But other than that I do plan to buy one and hopefully a Jango figure that will fit in the cockpit will follow soon after.

As for fitting three figures, I assume Jango and Boba fit in the main cockpit area and a third figure fits in the captured bounty hold just below. This was designed into the Slave 1 way back during ESB; but the toy was never made big enough to incorporate it. Hopefully this is the case.

Beast
01-09-2002, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by SirSteve
JarJar - in regards to what that other site wrote, I am waiting for a reply back on if this kind of material is ok to post. If so, I will release the flood gates!

*prays it's ok*

I think Hasbro is gonna end up releasing and allowing the posting of alot more actual news and finished product pictures to try to contain the growing dissatisfaction with the prototype pictures that have been smuggled out.

Only time will tell, but I hope it's true Sir Steve. You sound like you're ready to burst with all the info and pictures you're holding back due to the media black-out. We appreciate your situation, and are glad we have you on our side.

Beast
01-09-2002, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada
Jar Jar, I'm still skeptical about Hasbro's plan for Ep2, I will have to actually see the product. However, I am very much opposed to the action features that article is talking about.

The Slave 1 does look very nice, except for the giant hole in the front where the missiles come out. But other than that I do plan to buy one and hopefully a Jango figure that will fit in the cockpit will follow soon after.

As for fitting three figures, I assume Jango and Boba fit in the main cockpit area and a third figure fits in the captured bounty hold just below. This was designed into the Slave 1 way back during ESB; but the toy was never made big enough to incorporate it. Hopefully this is the case.

The hole where the missles comes out features a sliding cover that hides the missles, so no worries there. As for the fiting of the three figures, looking closer at the pictures that have surfaced there are two main seats in the back, and a third seat infront of those. There will be no cargo hold area on this new Slave 1, as the missle firing, bomb dropping, and transforming damage takes up this area.

bigbarada
01-09-2002, 06:57 PM
By jove you're right! A sliding cover on the missile launcher is welcome although I was beginning to accept the giant hole. Or four little holes actually.

On a side note I did a direct comparison to the picture of the POTF2 Slave 1 and this Ep2 version looks to be more slender and larger. And Hasbro says its a new version on their website so that's definitely good news.

Am I starting see a little bit of sunshine through all of these dark clouds?:)

Jargo
01-09-2002, 07:24 PM
I've been thinking about the cockpit too. The canopy is removable and it looks like there's a flip back panel on the front which allows for little hands to get better access to the figures and the seats etc. Take another look at the pics and see if you agree. I think it's be cool if that's the case what with old age creeping up on me and bad eyesight I can't be doing with little fiddly holes and fussing about trying to jam little action figures up them and into them. 'bout time they thought about how you're actually supposed to get the figures into the ships. Now if they'd just release a naboo pilot that can sit in the N1 fighter....... *drifting*

I too will buy two, one to keep pristine and one to customise. A seriously cool vehicle. Only trouble is I won't have room for the POTF2 version. Now what shall I do with that one....? :confused:

GNT
01-09-2002, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
Only trouble is I won't have room for the POTF2 version. Now what shall I do with that one....? :confused:

You'll give it to me of course :p *waves hand*

So who is/would be the 3rd person to fit in the new Slave 1? Jango and Boba Takes up a seat each so who would be the 3rd person? Or is there just meant to be the 2 fetts and room for a 3rd person of your choice?