PDA

View Full Version : Obi-Wan "As First Built By" saber question

Monstermile
05-08-2005, 06:00 PM
Just curious and maybe this is a dumb question. But isn't the saber that Obi-Wan uses in ROTS the same one he will carry on and use in ANH?? Looking at the pics the design looks exactly the same with the exception of a few colors.

Sith Lord 0498
05-08-2005, 07:40 PM
It is the same saber. However, the ROTS saber is technically the 'as first built' version of the Episode IV saber.

Monstermile
05-08-2005, 08:32 PM
So then technically the ANH "As First Built By" that came out before as well as the exclusive .45 one are really the ROTS sabers. And why the subtle color changes?? Seems to me MR is doing a little double dipping on this one.

Sith Lord 0498
05-08-2005, 08:36 PM
So then technically the ANH "As First Built By" that came out before as well as the exclusive .45 one are really the ROTS sabers. And why the subtle color changes?? Seems to me MR is doing a little double dipping on this one.

Not quite. The ROTS Obi-Wan lightsaber is the official replica. The 'As First Built By' version of the ANH Obi-Wan saber was more like an EU-style saber, an interpretation of what the lightsaber would have looked like originally (much like the 'AFBB' thermal detonator). I wouldn't call it double-dipping on MR's part. It's more like creating variants of a single piece.

Monstermile
05-08-2005, 08:57 PM
Ahhh gotcha. I figured they would have designed the first "AFBB" bersion based on actual props and documentation from Lucas Films. Didn't realize it was just an interpetation of what it might have looked like. Guess I won't worry about getting the first one then. Just the weathered and the ROTS.

Sith Lord 0498
05-08-2005, 10:03 PM
Ahhh gotcha. I figured they would have designed the first "AFBB" bersion based on actual props and documentation from Lucas Films. Didn't realize it was just an interpetation of what it might have looked like. Guess I won't worry about getting the first one then. Just the weathered and the ROTS.

According to the write-up in the photo database entry on Rebelscum, the AFBB version was meant to show the lightsaber "as it might have looked when Obi-Wan Kenobi first built it." Essentially, Master Replicas created an EU lightsaber.

Personally, I would second your decision. Get the weathered and ROTS replicas.

Frizz_himself
05-09-2005, 10:08 AM
Does anyone have a list of the complete set: the i've seen are

1.darth maul battle damaged
2.darth vader epiv
3.mace windu
4.count dooku
5.darth sidious
6.obi-wan epi
7.obi-wan epii

Jayspawn
05-09-2005, 10:57 AM
What kind of complete list list are you looking for Frizz? If its for Master Replica's Limited Editions (prop replicas), the list is a LOT longer.

Monstermile
05-09-2005, 11:19 AM
Here is a lits put together by DarkJedi1981 in another thread:

Jedi Collection

Luke Skywalker ROTJ Lightsaber (Regular, Gold Chase, eBay Light Chromed Edition)
Mace Windu AOTC Lightsaber (Regular, Gold Chase)
Obi-Wan Kenobi AOTC Lightsaber (Regular, Gold Chase)
Anakin Skywalker ROTS Lightsaber (Regular, Gold Chase, SDCC and Conventions Exclusive Black Smoked Chrome Edition "The Conventions Exclusive" will have a Gold Chase as well that will come with the specialized base)
Obi-Wan Kenobi ROTS Lightsaber (Regular, Gold Chase, CIII Black Smoked Chrome Edition-CIII Exclusive will have a Gold Chase as well with the CIII Base)
Yoda ROTS Lightsaber (Regular, Gold Chase)
Obi-Wan Kenobi ANH Lightsaber (Weathered UK/Wal-Mart Exclusive, SDCC and Conventions Exclusive As First Built Edition, Gold Chase for AFB Version)

Sith Collection

Darth Vader ANH Lightsaber (Regular, Gold Chase)
Darth Maul TPM Damaged Lightsaber (Regular, Gold Chase)
Count Dooku AOTC Lightsaber (Regular, Gold Chase)
Count Dooku ROTS Lightsaber (Regular, Gold Chase)
Darth Sidious ROTS Lightsaber (Regular, Gold Chase, Best Buy Black Smoked Chrome Edition-with Gold chase available)
Darth Maul TPM Full Sized Lightsaber (MR Collectors Society 2005 Exclusive)

Frizz_himself
05-09-2005, 01:24 PM
thanks for the above list that helps.

DarkJedi1981
05-13-2005, 12:47 PM
No problem! Lol