PDA

View Full Version : Sick of Remakes

JON9000
05-09-2005, 10:45 AM
Now we get the Bad News Bears starring Billy Bob Thorton as Walter Matthau. Grow a new idea already. The best thing about BNB is how raw it is with a PG rating. We were a lot looser culturally then.

If you were to go line by line in the remake, you would have conservatives screaming about lines such as this:

"I know a 12 year old girl who's already on the pill!"

and liberals whining about all of the ethnic slurs used throughout by little kids.

Watching the original reminds me of the good old days before CNN, FOX, and the culture wars. Watching the remake will only likely remind of the moronic times in which we now live, where reality is sacrificed upon the altar of not offending anyone.

Same thing with Texas Chainsaw. Without the vegetarianism thread and Vietnam War raging, the new one was just another stupid slasher flick. and I'm not going to bother with Amityville. The original was just awful. Michael Bay is the Puff Daddy of moviedom. Ugh. Rant over.

James Boba Fettfield
05-09-2005, 11:16 AM
I used to think I could agree about the remake scene, but Cronenberg, Carpenter, and Savini showed me otherwise. I suppose Philip Kaufman did, as well. Hell, even Simon Wells and De Palma have done the same for me on this subject, too. Hopefully Spielberg will, as well.

Kidhuman
05-09-2005, 11:18 AM
Some movies actually end up better as a remake. Charlie and the Chocolate factory looks good and could use a re-make with the new technology.

But I agree, hapless remakes of all these movies is ridiculous. BNB, Chainsaw, Amityville Horror, its got to stop already. I agree, originality went out the window.

Hellboy
05-09-2005, 03:47 PM
Well as long as people keep paying to see these films studios will continue to churn them out. I've never been a big fan of remakes mainly because the amount of these films that turn out to be as good or better than the original are few and far between.

The only positive things I can say about remakes is it can sometimes re-inject interest into genres that have faded into obscurity. A pefect example of this is the success of the 'Dawn of the Dead' remake which played a big part in George Romero getting a long overdue shot at making another zombie film. The horror genre in general has probably benefited the most from this new trend even though the new ideas seem to be limited in this sea of remakes. Another positive is that studios are seeing the financial potential of horror films again and are more willing to take chances on edgier films that may never have got off the ground just a few years ago.

Mandalorian Candidat
05-09-2005, 05:23 PM
The only positive things I can say about remakes is it can sometimes re-inject interest into genres that have faded into obscurity. A pefect example of this is the success of the 'Dawn of the Dead' remake which played a big part in George Romero getting a long overdue shot at making another zombie film. The horror genre in general has probably benefited the most from this new trend even though the new ideas seem to be limited in this sea of remakes. Another positive is that studios are seeing the financial potential of horror films again and are more willing to take chances on edgier films that may never have got off the ground just a few years ago.

I would say that you're 100% correct, but House of Wax, which is a remake, totally bombed this weekend. It could be that Paris Hilton ruined it or just cause it was Mother's Day weekend and who's gonna take their mom to a horror flick besides Britney Spears?

JEDIpartner
05-10-2005, 06:18 PM
Britney IS a horror flick.

That having been said, I am sick of remakes as well. They are largely unimaginative and a way for someone to make a lazy buck. Stupid. Sad. Tired.

InsaneJediGirl
05-10-2005, 11:08 PM
Good one JEDIpartnr :crazed:

I am tired of remakes as well,especially of horror movies.Did we really need another "Shining?" Of course not,the first,while not true to the book,was awesome.Godzilla is another example of a really bad remake,the lines didnt even have that couple-second delay ;) :D

While only a few movies are good remade,I think the practice should stop or slow down.Sadly,studios produce remakes because they cant come up with any of their own good ideas.

Darth Jax
05-11-2005, 10:48 PM
remakes are the current "in" thing. tv had its gameshow heyday a few years ago, the bottom fell out and they moved on to reality shows. many of the reality shows are starting to tank now so they'll move on to the next fad soon. with the movies it's currently remakes. sorry, but even tim burton and johnny depp can't indulge me to see a remake of charlie and the chocolate factory. there isn't enough money to get me into a theater to see steve martin playing peter sellers in the pink panther. with a lack of original ideas in hollywood, how come nobody was willing to let someone like romero with a new script in mind make his next zombie movie for so many years. there's always a market for the next horror flick to come out.

Won-Dum Jedi
05-24-2005, 10:35 AM
I'll put money down to say someone will try to remake The Wizard of Oz in the next couple years.

CaptainSolo1138
05-24-2005, 02:08 PM
I'll put money down to say someone will try to remake The Wizard of Oz in the next couple years.
I'll take that bet. That's one of those movies that even if someone had the stones to try and remake it, it would be shot down by whoever is in charge of W.O.Z. marketing anyway. Now that I think of it, didn't Ted Turner just get his paws on it? Maybe he'll colorize the first fifteen minutes :D , but I doubt it'll ever be remade (at least not in our life time).

JediTricks
05-24-2005, 07:49 PM
Does the Muppet Wizard of Oz count, or because it's a TV movie it's exempt?

As for remaking it, Turner doesn't have the rights to the story, only to the '39 musical, the story itself is public domain (which is why you can find the book reprinted for free on the web) and thus can be remade by anybody at any time so long as it doesn't reference the MGM film.

mabudonicus
05-25-2005, 08:15 AM
I have this conspiracy-like theory about all the remakes- to some extent it is laziness, but I think it also has something to do with intellectual property laws and copyrights- in these days of "TV Land" and "special edition" dvd boxed sets of old shows etc, it seems to me that all of the "retreads" are to keep the rights to a property alive and prevent the property from becoming public domain (like the Garfield movie)

I am not too "up" on the legal aspects, but from what I understand about the whole thing this kind of makes sense- Any thoughts???

:beard:

CaptainSolo1138
05-25-2005, 10:16 AM
Does the Muppet Wizard of Oz count, or because it's a TV movie it's exempt? No, and neither does "The Wiz". :D

As for remaking it, Turner doesn't have the rights to the story, only to the '39 musical, the story itself is public domain (which is why you can find the book reprinted for free on the web) and thus can be remade by anybody at any time so long as it doesn't reference the MGM film.
Is their anything you don't know?!? :p I wasn't aware of that and in light of this I retract my previous post. I'm sure Quentin Tarentino will get his paws on it in the near future and "update" it ("I'm melting, muthaf**ka!! MELTING!!"). :D

JediTricks
05-26-2005, 01:24 AM
Is their anything you don't know?!? :pIt's a f***ing curse, baby! :D

I totally forgot about The Wiz, back when Michael Jackson had a nose. ;) I can understand the Muppets since it's A) the Muppets and B) for TV, but The Wiz may be quite a niche film but it's still another cinematic take on the story, and another musical version at that. Besides, the 1939 Wizard of Oz film is a remake of the 1925 silent version... from a certain point of view.

Mabs, here in the US, as I understand it a story is only copyrighted from its inital date and its only extension date, once the story has entered public domain (we're talking a lifetime of years here) it cannot be re-copyrighted. Therefore, Turner cannot stop Tarantino or anybody else from making a million Wizard of Oz remakes so long as they're not remakes of the copyrighted FILM (you can't protect a book based on an after-the-fact film either, only the film elements, so the singing in WoOz is not public domain, nor is the look of the Tin Woodman from that film).

However, there are things like the Fantastic Four where a movie studio has the license rights from that property where they have to make a movie of it within X-amount of years or lose the license, so when the license nears ending they make a quicky movie to extend the license (which is why the unreleased Roger Corman "Fantastic Four" film exists at all). Hasbro after owning Kenner for 3 years or so basically did something similar when creating the POTF2 line, though they still were at risk of losing the rights a couple years later when the license was up.

plasticfetish
05-26-2005, 01:47 AM
Remakes? Did someone say remakes?

They're doing a live version of Charlotte's Web in Australia as we speak... errr... type. I just learned that Wes Craven is going to do a remake of The Hills Have Eyes -- I'll be getting some first hand info about that one this Saturday. ;) King Kong, Willy Wonka, War of the Worlds and on and on...

James Boba Fettfield
05-26-2005, 05:19 AM
. . . and Dark Water.

Rocketboy
05-26-2005, 05:41 PM
I can't see (or stomach) a Wizard of Oz remake, but if anything like that happens, it'll more than likely be "re-imagined" like Willy Wonka, Planet of the Apes, ect. (coincidentally Tim Burton movies).

Won-Dum Jedi
06-03-2005, 12:50 AM
The only movies I can see benfiting from the remake treatment is Tron and Flash Gordon.

plasticfetish
06-03-2005, 01:29 AM
Tron doesn't need a re-make, it is what it is, but a sequel might be cool though...

Hellboy
06-03-2005, 05:41 PM
Tron doesn't need a re-make, it is what it is, but a sequel might be cool though...

Thats funny, I had a similar discussion with a friend of mine a few months ago and I made the same arguement. I enjoyed the original for what it was and would much rather see a sequel than a remake.

plasticfetish
06-03-2005, 06:09 PM
I'm not sure why they never did a sequel anyway. It was popular enough. :confused:

I just think that the whole re-make thing is getting to be a bit crazy. Enough's enough for the most part, unless you're looking to do something really new with an old story -- like for instance with Tim Burton wanting to make a Willy Wonka that's more true the book. Though I really love the original, (it was the first DVD I bought when I got my first player) I'm interesed to see how it turns out. The only problem is that when a re-make ends up sucking, then it REALLY sucks. Like "Planet of the Apes" -- not even a completely terrible movie, but it had it's faults, so it seems even worse compared to the great original.

-----

So... I mentioned the "The Hills Have Eyes" re-make. They're filming it in Morrocco. It's pretty much a re-do of the original, but less "campy" and as I was told, "there are no pretty 'The OC' type actors." (Why I didn't bother with the Texas Chainsaw re-make.) It's gonna be very bloody and scary. I'm willing to give that a chance.
:)

Hellboy
06-04-2005, 05:13 PM
I just read in EW that George A. Romero's Day of the Dead is now being "resurrected for a remake." :crazed:

I guess it makes sense when you consider the success of the Dawn remake. I would be interested in actually seeing this but my fear is that Hollywood is going to burn out the zombie genre much like it did back in the eighties with films like Return of the Living Dead and the countless sequels that followed. I'd much rather see directors like Romero be given a chance to expand on the genre with new films along the same lines his new picture Land of the Dead does with the zombies evolving.

All I have to say regarding this remake is they better have Bub in it or I'll boycott. :dead:

James Boba Fettfield
06-04-2005, 05:30 PM
I do believe some of the folks responsible for the Day of the Dead sequel are also behind this Day of the Dead remake. What's that tell you.

And I hope the character of Bub is nowhere in the film. In fact, I hope this one takes the Dawn remake approach and just borrows the setting from the original and leaves the characters out of it.

2-1B
06-05-2005, 12:20 AM
have you guys seen Day of the Dead Contagium ? Is it even out yet ?

I don't know about Bub being in a remake but I just saw him again in the Seinfeld Season 4 episode of The Junior Mint and frankly I bet Howard Sherman/Sherman Howard could reprise the role himself if it came down to it ! :crazed:

Hellboy
06-05-2005, 01:21 PM

Last I heard the production company was still trying to get the film a theatrical release but it might go direct to video. Either way there hasn't been any news on it for quite some time as far as I know. :(

scruffziller
06-22-2005, 09:44 AM
What gets me is when I see a movie coming out, and then finding out later that its a remake!!! It blows my mind. I just found out today that The Fast and the Furious is a remake!!! I actually enjoy the ignorance of not knowing that a movie is a remake.

JediTricks
06-22-2005, 07:53 PM
Hell, 1941's The Maltese Falcon is a remake of 1931's "Dangerous Female" (which itself is based closely on the book "The Maltese Falcon", except for the end scene), right down to some of the performances of the major actors.

OC47150
06-29-2005, 04:45 PM
Original movie ideas are few and far between in Hollywood these days.

Hellboy
09-22-2005, 05:31 PM

Caesar, looks like this one is finally coming out, the same day as LOTD no less (10/18.) :D

I found it on sale for under $10 over at Deep Discount DVD. All of their Anchor Bay horror films are 52% off with free shipping so I figured I'd give you a heads up. :)

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemid=ABD013309

Mandalorian Candidat
09-22-2005, 08:13 PM
I think there's a remake of Oliver Twist coming out soon. Once "Survivor: The Movie" comes out we'll know the end is near.

trandoshan666
09-22-2005, 08:50 PM
I think there's a remake of Oliver Twist coming out soon.
This just pi%&es me off. What's the motivation here? To offer a better telling of the story? I guess Best Picture wasn't good enough. It doesn't seem like the kind of movie to bring in tons of money, so what's the deal?

UKWildcat
09-23-2005, 01:42 AM
Hellboy, a week or so ago I hit that DDD sale up pretty good. I got the Suspiria Limited #'d Ed. (3 disc) when it was priced for $7.19. I have never seen the movie, but for a release like that and only paying 7 bucks for it I figured it was worth it. I've only heard good things about it too. I also did the pre-order on the Evil Dead 2 Book of the Dead.

Speaking of which... I was on imdb a while back, checking up on my boy Sam Raimi. I saw where there was an Evil Dead remake in the works (2006). Not too sure what to make of it. I mean, I am looking forward to it, but then again I am hesitant to see them mess up a classic. Hope they get a good director and (re)produce a good remake...:ermm:

2-1B
09-23-2005, 02:47 AM
Suspiria is pretty cool, I have that same set and Jessica Harper rocks. I recently mailed her 3 of the repro lobby cards and she sent them back signed. Awesome.

Caesar, looks like this one is finally coming out, the same day as LOTD no less (10/18.) :D

I found it on sale for under $10 over at Deep Discount DVD. All of their Anchor Bay horror films are 52% off with free shipping so I figured I'd give you a heads up. :)

Thanks for the heads up ! Yeah, I recently read on the upcoming release dates that it was coming out . . . I planned on renting it just to see what's doin' but for 9 and change maybe I'll buy it ? I mean, I DID buy a used copy last year of Russo's muck up of NOTLD so why not give this one a try ? lol lol lol

OC47150
09-23-2005, 08:11 AM

Thanks for the info on Deep Discount, Hellboy. I've been shopping around to find cheaper places than Amazon for DVDs. I'll check them out.

General_Grievous
09-23-2005, 03:47 PM
What's the big deal with a remake of Oliver Twist? There have been loads of versions of it in the past, why are you all surprised about it?

UKWildcat
09-23-2005, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the info on Deep Discount, Hellboy. I've been shopping around to find cheaper places than Amazon for DVDs. I'll check them out.

Deep Discount is awesome! I've been ordering from them for years. They have the cheapest prices, for the most part, and offer free shipping. They also have all sorts of good sales every now and again.

The big kicker is that twice a year they have a 20%-off sale on everything (one should be coming up pretty soon, Nov-Dec'ish). Whenever this sale is going on my bank account takes a serious hit. Thank God it's only twice a year.

Hellboy
09-23-2005, 05:56 PM
Hellboy, a week or so ago I hit that DDD sale up pretty good. I got the Suspiria Limited #'d Ed. (3 disc) when it was priced for $7.19. I have never seen the movie, but for a release like that and only paying 7 bucks for it I figured it was worth it. I've only heard good things about it too.

One of my personal favorites, I love Dario Argento. I usually put it and about a half dozen other horror films into my DVD rotation around Halloween. :)

I mean, I DID buy a used copy last year of Russo's muck up of NOTLD so why not give this one a try ? lol lol lol

Ouch!! :hurt:

No problem OC. Like UKWildcat mentioned they do have good deals pretty regularly and those 20% off sales are great, especially around the holidays if you need to buy gifts. :)

scruffziller
06-10-2006, 05:41 PM
Man, I just can't believe it....the movie market has just been FLOODED with remakes and sequels of remakes...... The Omen and now THE WICKER MAN....(I thought it was a trailer for Ghost Rider because it stars Nicholas Cage as Chris Lee's character :D ).

Yea, it is laziness perhaps but one thing that Hollywood would like to do is release these movies in the theaters as they are/ but realize that the public of today would not receive the original versions in the theater. SO they merely update them. They are doing nothing more than pulling a GL on us ala SE SW. God I sure hope they don't remake SW.......:Ponder: .....but if they do I hope Peter Jackson does it and I will definitely will see it.

trandoshan666
06-10-2006, 09:46 PM
God I sure hope they don't remake SW.......:Ponder: .....but if they do I hope Peter Jackson does it and I will definitely will see it.

Oddly, that's never occurred to me. Now that it has, it scares me that in 20 or 30 years, someone might remake the saga. :( That could be really painful.

Kidhuman
06-11-2006, 03:16 AM
If SW ever gets remade, I refuse to buy the toys.

El Chuxter
06-11-2006, 03:01 PM
Unless it stars Debbie Gibson and Will Smith. Then I am so there.

JimJamBonds
06-11-2006, 03:09 PM
As long as it starts Debbie Gibson and Will Smith I'm so there.

2-1B
06-11-2006, 03:13 PM
Gentleman, please - it's Deborah Gibson.

El Chuxter
06-11-2006, 03:59 PM
Debbie, Deborah.... Either way, it's :beard:.

Banthaholic
06-12-2006, 01:33 PM
There has to be some level of creativity in hollywood where they can write scripts for new movies. I also am sick of remakes and movie versions of tv shows.

scruffziller
06-15-2006, 02:02 PM
Oddly, that's never occurred to me. Now that it has, it scares me that in 20 or 30 years, someone might remake the saga. :( That could be really painful.

We started a thread on this some years back.

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=22309&highlight=fear+remake+Star+Wars

UKWildcat
06-16-2006, 12:36 AM
They are remaking "The Hitcher" and Sean Bean is going to play John Ryder.

JediTricks
06-16-2006, 03:46 AM
Seems like remakes are on the decline lately. Or am I forgetting some big ones? There's "Dallas" that's about to start shooting, it looks horrible and J Lo fired her agents over getting her that (good choice!).

"Superman Returns" is sorta a remake but not exactly.

Keep in mind, filmmakers may not always want to make remakes, but studio execs go with what's safe and established rather than take risks on new ideas, plus studios often own licenses and can use the ideas cheap, or want to extend their contracts on the brands.

Lord Malakite
06-18-2006, 04:17 PM
"Superman Returns" is sorta a remake but not exactly.
I'd consider it more of a retcon than a remake.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-30-2006, 11:47 PM
Has anyone seen the newly released remake of "The Omen" starring Liev Schriber and Julia Stiles? The kid that plays Damien looks creepier than the original, yet I think from watching the previews and the fact that the movie has tanked, leaves me to believe that might be the only plus side to the film.

scruffziller
07-01-2006, 10:00 AM
Has anyone seen the newly released remake of "The Omen" starring Liev Schriber and Julia Stiles? The kid that plays Damien looks creepier than the original, yet I think from watching the previews and the fact that the movie has tanked, leaves me to believe that might be the only plus side to the film.

I rather enjoyed the remake of The Omen. Never saw the original. But from what I know of it, nothing of significance was changed.

Never saw the original Whicker Man, but it the new one looks ultra cool.

Hellboy
07-01-2006, 01:44 PM
I wasn't a fan of the original Omen so I had no interest in seeing a remake. Plus Julie Stiles is a terrible actress IMO.

I can't believe The Wicker Man is being remade. Thats easily one of the strangest films I've ever seen. Maybe some aspects will be changed but the original was hardly what I would consider a horror film and it was rather anti-climactic.

General_Grievous
07-01-2006, 05:17 PM
I wasn't a fan of the original Omen so I had no interest in seeing a remake. Plus Julie Stiles is a terrible actress IMO.
That's no opinion. It's a fact. Julia Stiles sucks and The Omen (both versions) was boring.

Hellboy
07-01-2006, 06:04 PM
That's no opinion. It's a fact. Julia Stiles sucks and The Omen (both versions) was boring.

Hey GG, did you notice after that post your count hit 666? :twisted: lol

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-02-2006, 12:07 AM

While I haven't seen the remake, I beg to differ on your take of the original movie. I think it was a pretty suspensful movie with shocking sequence after shocking sequence (okay, I'll give you pushing Lee Remick over the balcony was a little lame) but from the initial suicide of the nanny, the ball gets rolling with people meeting particularly gruesome ends (especially the photographer). I know my best buddy who is a hardcore horror fan didn't care for it (because he's probably used to more blood, gore and shock) but this movie is catered for the mainstream audience who might not normally go see a horror movie, and I think the movie keeps the gore to a minimal and the suspense and intrigue right to the very end. The biblical plot, the whole thought of an antichrist establishing a kingdom on Earth, is spooky enough to think as having a chance of possibility.

General_Grievous
07-02-2006, 12:56 AM
Hey GG, did you notice after that post your count hit 666? :twisted: lol
:D Yeah. How ironic is that? But the new one had a lot of gore in the photographer decapitation. I have to say it was the most realistic decapitation I've seen on screen.

JediTricks
07-02-2006, 02:25 AM
Superman Returns came off to me like a movie of a movie, like "Superman: The Movie: The Motion Picture", which I guess means it'd fit in this category after all.

Darth Jax
07-20-2006, 07:34 AM
as most of us figured, they're set to reimagine day of the dead now. the guy from final destination will be doing the script and ving rhames is gonna return to star in it.

Banthaholic
07-20-2006, 10:09 AM
I didn't see it but they did market this film enough, there were endless viewings of their 6/6/06 commericals. It might be worth checking on video, I like Julia Stiles :love:

General_Grievous
07-20-2006, 10:24 AM
as most of us figured, they're set to reimagine day of the dead now. the guy from final destination will be doing the script and ving rhames is gonna return to star in it.
Why?? It's not like the public is knocking on Hollywood's door for more zombie movies. I,for one, am sick and tired of zombie movies. They're so unoriginal.

2-1B
07-20-2006, 02:21 PM
If they're going to do another zombie movie, I like the idea of Ving Rhames being in it. :)

General_Grievous
07-20-2006, 05:30 PM
Ving Rhames should play B.A. Baracus in an A-Team movie.:) Speaking of remakes, I had this weird dream the other night. I was watching a remake of "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" starring Ewan McGregor and Nicole Kidman, with Michael Jackson as the Child Catcher. What the hell is wrong with me?? :crazed:

Kidhuman
07-20-2006, 06:23 PM
I wouldnt mind seeing a remanke of 20,000 Leagues under the Sea.

2-1B
07-21-2006, 03:02 AM
Now they're saying Ving will be playing a Bub character and not Kenneth...I don't know if I like that idea, it will be weird if he's two different Dead characters in two different movies only a few years apart. :confused:

Maybe if he was Kenneth AS a zombie like Bub, that could be cool...but I don't know. :(

Darth Jax
07-21-2006, 07:22 AM
he'd almost have to be a zombie (since the credit footage made it seem they all died) or a totally new character.

OC47150
07-21-2006, 07:32 AM
Ving Rhames should play B.A. Baracus in an A-Team movie.:) Speaking of remakes, I had this weird dream the other night. I was watching a remake of "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" starring Ewan McGregor and Nicole Kidman, with Michael Jackson as the Child Catcher. What the hell is wrong with me?? :crazed:

To quote Mr. Hand, are you on dope? :razz:

I enjoyed Rhames in Dawn of the Dead. He was one of the stronger, more interesting characters in the movie.

But there's always that 'did they or didn't they' factor, Darth Jax.

Since Day of the Dead is the weakest of the three Dead movies, I'd like to see a new approach to it.

General_Grievous
07-21-2006, 12:32 PM
To quote Mr. Hand, are you on dope? :razz:
Aloha, Mr. Hand! :D

2-1B
07-21-2006, 01:05 PM
I also read rumors that Ving will play a Rhodes character, so who knows. :confused:

One thing to note is that Day is being done by a different company than Dawn so they might not even be able to have Ving play Kenneth even if they wanted to.

OC, I disagree about Day '85 being the weakest but I respect your opinion. :)
In my opinion, all 3 have their strengths and are classic in their own way. In many ways Day is my favorite but Dawn will always be iconic as well it should. Night is a classic indeed but probably my least favorite of the 3.

Honorary mention to Savini's Night as that might very well be my favorite movie remake of all time. :)

OC47150
07-21-2006, 01:24 PM
I will admit, Caesar, I have seen Day '85 less than Night and Dawn. It just has a different feel to it than the other two.

But hey, you can't go wrong with a good zombie movie...except for Redneck Zombies.

maatu
07-21-2006, 01:30 PM
Ving Rhames should play B.A. Baracus in an A-Team movie.:) Speaking of remakes, I had this weird dream the other night. I was watching a remake of "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" starring Ewan McGregor and Nicole Kidman, with Michael Jackson as the Child Catcher. What the hell is wrong with me?? :crazed:you know as sick as that might be. i would go see it.if i was drunk.

maatu
07-21-2006, 01:36 PM
man i am so sick of remakes. if they ever make a remake of fast times at ridgemonte high . i will just croak. what are they going to get beyonce to play phoebe frickin cates role. no way man. that girl or woman is hot and still hot today. i love her in that movie with .oh **** i can't think of his name. the dude from vision quest. she gets totally naked.
but seriously,remakes suck. ving rhames is good. But get the original dude or get will ferrell to do the role. he resembles him with out makeup. they ruined daredevil by making the bad guy black when he clearly was not. . don't make another mistake.

UKWildcat
07-21-2006, 01:41 PM
In my opinion, all 3 have their strengths and are classic in their own way. In many ways Day is my favorite but Dawn will always be iconic as well it should. Night is a classic indeed but probably my least favorite of the 3.

I agree with ya Caesar. Dawn, Day and then Night is my order of preference.

Honorary mention to Savini's Night as that might very well be my favorite movie remake of all time. :)

Yes sir. Gotta love Tony Todd!

Hellboy
07-21-2006, 08:14 PM
If Ving is to play a Bub like character I'd want it to be Kenneth from the Dawn Remake. I'm not a fan of the idea at all though if its a new character and he looks anything like Ving even though I think he would make a fine Rhodes. Actually I'd love to see William Forsythe play a Capt. Rhodes type character.

Since we're putting the Dead films in order here is mine = Dawn - Night - Day :yes:
Didn't care for the Night remake though, mostly because of the changes made to the ending. :p
Enjoyed the Dawn remake but hated the zombie baby and the lack of character development compared to the original.

UKWildcat
07-31-2006, 11:16 PM
While I was looking up this Kyle Newman fellow, the guy who is directing Fanboys, I noticed that he is going to direct a remake of Revenge of the Nerds... Revenge of the Nerds?!?!?! Come on people.

El Chuxter
08-01-2006, 12:18 AM
They were holding an open casting at Comic Con. My thoughts? "How incredibly degrading and insulting is that?" It appears not everyone agreed. There was a long line.

Hellboy
08-27-2006, 03:28 AM
Looks like Ving Rhames will be playing Captain Rhodes in the Day of the Dead remake. There is more on the casting over at Bloody-Disgusting.com (http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/7093) but be warned the last half of the third paragraph contains MAJOR SPOILERS. I stopped reading at that point. The comments are from the blog of an actor named Stark Sands who plays a zombie named "Bud." :stupid: Seems kind of silly to keep some of the names from the original while changing others if you ask me.

2-1B
08-27-2006, 02:15 PM
I read the spoilers and it can't be worse than Day of the Dead 2: Contagium. :D

Hellboy
08-27-2006, 02:35 PM
I sure hope the Day remake turns out good but I'm more excited about Romero's next 'Dead' sequel Diary of the Dead (http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/7081) being officially announced. :D

DarkArtist
08-29-2006, 08:55 PM
Oh don't get me started on Hollywood and it's endless remakes. Doesn't anyone have an original idea anymore. I waiting for someone like Peter Jackson to do a remake of the Prequel Trilogy with Orlando Bloom as Obi Wan Kenobi, Little Richard as Yoda, Vigo Mortinson as Qui Gon Jinn and the "I see Dead People" as Anakin.lol

El Chuxter
08-29-2006, 10:22 PM
Little Richard as Yoda

That is the coolest idea I have ever read.

2-1B
08-30-2006, 01:41 AM
I sure hope the Day remake turns out good but I'm more excited about Romero's next 'Dead' sequel Diary of the Dead (http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/7081) being officially announced. :D

I'm being cautious about that, I don't know how I like the premise.

Darth Jax
08-30-2006, 07:29 AM
I'm being cautious about that, I don't know how I like the premise.

the premise sounds quite interesting to me.

after land not sure you could take the evolution of zombies much farther. even though there had been talk of a new trilogy of zombie films.

2-1B
08-30-2006, 10:08 AM
If they weren't tarnishing it with the descriptive words of "Blair Witch" I might be more open to the idea. lol

It leaves an uneasy taste for me to say that.