PDA

View Full Version : So I went to my local Super Wal-Mart yesterday...

Darth_Bane
05-09-2005, 12:09 PM
to see how much their Earlybird packs were this week,(they had gone down to $15 last I had checked) when I got to the end of the isle where they are located, I noticed the price above them said $29.99?!? Has anyone else seen this happen? They have like three shelves FULL of these things, why would they be marked back up?

samskull
05-09-2005, 02:43 PM
The Force is $trong with this one.

BoPs
05-09-2005, 03:17 PM
pretty sure if you send hasbro a reciept for anything less than 29.99 you'll get your envelope back in the mail :(

sith_killer_99
05-09-2005, 03:45 PM
I doubt that. The certificate is a legally binding contract. No where does it say that the price paid must be $30.00! Besides, it's Wal-Mart's exclusive, if they sell it for less they take the loss not Hasbro.

moulman
05-09-2005, 03:47 PM
I think your wrong on that one BoPs. Their product states you recieve the mentioned items when buying their product, regardless of price. theyve already made moeny off letting WM have the excluvie, so hasbro shouldnt be worried:p

moulman
05-09-2005, 03:48 PM
darn you Sith_Killer! posted while I was typing;)

bobafrett
05-09-2005, 07:40 PM
My store still has them at $29.99, and I asked the toy department manager if they were ever going to be lowered in price, he said "it's in the managers hands". I already bought one at full price.

JetsAndHeels
05-09-2005, 07:52 PM
I have yet to see an Early Bird set at any of my local WM's, regular or Supercenters. I cannot be certain if they just sold out or if they were taken off the shelves for some reason.

sith_killer_99
05-09-2005, 09:14 PM
Well, JF96, if you want one I am sure there are plenty of us here who can help you out. My local Wal-Mart still has about 50-60 of these things hanging around. :(

JetsAndHeels
05-09-2005, 09:17 PM
Well, JF96, if you want one I am sure there are plenty of us here who can help you out. My local Wal-Mart still has about 50-60 of these things hanging around. :(

I appreciate the gesture SK99. I will remember to keep you in mind if I ever find myself wanting one bad enough. :)

Sith Lord 0498
05-09-2005, 09:18 PM
I have yet to understand why these Early Bird kits are still so popular now that it's been revealed that 1) the figures are not an advance start to the post-ROTS line and 2) they're practically re-hashes or not very appealing (Luke).

The only WM close to me that carried them still had dozens of them a few weeks ago. For $30, I doubt they're selling fast.

sith_killer_99
05-09-2005, 09:44 PM
IMO, it's the whole, nod-to-the-vintage-line-Early-Bird, since-I-will-never-be-able-to-afford-the-real-deal, I'll-settle-for-this, thing.

Kinda like the VOTC line. ;)

Besides, it's only $30.00 including shipping. So why not. :D

I also kinda like the Leia figure. ;)

beckmen
05-09-2005, 09:45 PM
It would make sense for WM to jack the price back up to 30 bucks if Hasbro found out they were clearances them, essentially selling figures for 2 bucks or under that haven't even been released yet! Hasbro might have told them to desist because it could be a nightmare for their profits to have to ship a bunch of Early Bird sets to people who only paid 15 or even 5 bucks. Of course I expect Hasbro to honor the deal, and those who were lucky enough to get them on clearance won't get let down, but they tried to do some "damage control" to stop it from being a real problem.

At least that;s my theory.

BanthaPoodoo
05-10-2005, 10:12 AM
Price definitely has nothing to do with it. I got a mail away figure a few years back by buying some cheap figures (at a discount salvage store in my area & sending the PoP's in along with the receipt for ~$15. My item came perfectly fine... they could care less what you spend on em, as long as they have proof you bought it...

aricajade
05-10-2005, 10:49 AM
Hasbro might have told them to desist because it could be a nightmare for their profits to have to ship a bunch of Early Bird sets to people who only paid 15 or even 5 bucks.

Hasbro doesn't have anything to do with what Wal-Mart charges. Wal-Mart could give them away to everyone that enters the door wearing blue shirts for all they care. Wal-Mart already bought them from Hasbro. Hasbro already has their cut. They don't get a percentage of the profits. They sold to Wal-mart at a set price, then Wal-Mart does what they want with it.

Veers
05-10-2005, 08:14 PM
Cool! My local Wal Mart still has these on the shelves. I am going to see if they are marked down.

ROTJLuke
05-13-2005, 08:04 AM
Ill prob. check out my wal-mart today or somethinng...I havent been in a while...

kool-aid killer
05-13-2005, 10:27 AM
IMO, it's the whole, nod-to-the-vintage-line-Early-Bird, since-I-will-never-be-able-to-afford-the-real-deal, I'll-settle-for-this, thing.

Kinda like the VOTC line. ;)

Besides, it's only $30.00 including shipping. So why not. :D

I also kinda like the Leia figure. ;)

I think thats why its popular with some collecters, the hard core ones that know the whole story behind there being an empty plastic box for $30. But for average joe who doesnt have the slightest idea as to why its going for that much the whole early bird exclusive looks like a big waste of money. Which is probably why this thing is a solid peg warmer in many places. I didnt pick it up and really have no desire to either.

dindae
05-13-2005, 10:55 AM
I believe the pegwarming issue is just that the stores that did get them got a lot of them. I remember someone saying a whole pallet. For a $30 item that's a lot.

bobafrett
05-14-2005, 10:39 PM
We have a 4 way with one section of the Early Bird kits just sitting there at full price. I'm waiting for them to get marked down, and I told the department manager that if he does it while I am off to buy one for me, and I'll pay him back.

JON9000
05-15-2005, 03:07 PM
I appreciate the gesture SK99. I will remember to keep you in mind if I ever find myself wanting one bad enough. :)
If you want an early bird kit, you can find one at the Cary Wal-mart at Crescent Commons, JF96.

bobafrett
05-15-2005, 09:41 PM
My Wal-Mart did a Beat their price on a bunch of Star Wars toys. We had figures for under $5. I also stopped at a Target this evening, and I was buying a figure when this lady in line behind me says "Oh getting a Star Wars figure?", "Yes" I reply. She says "Everywhere we went tonight, people were buying these figures up, better get them before the movie comes out." If she only knew.....