PDA

View Full Version : How likely are you to buy from HasbroToyShop?

JediTricks
05-09-2005, 06:18 PM
Last week, hasbrotoyshop.com, Hasbro's direct-sales website, opened its doors. The site charges MSRP for all Star Wars items listed, and has a by-weight shipping fee plus a handling fee -- not exactly unusual stuff in the e-tailer world -- but MSRP on basic SW figures is now $6.99, and some items are not yet available for order while others have quickly disappeared.

Collectors have been clamoring for this for years, and now it is here, so how likely are you to buy from hasbro's site?

(if you have already ordered from the site, vote for "extremely likely")

LusiferSam
05-09-2005, 07:49 PM
Cool, I'm the first to reply.

At this point in time, I'm pretty unlikely to buy from them. I won't say never, because that's a long time. But seeing is how I've stopped collecting the modern lines it won't be any time soon.

Mad Slanted Powers
05-09-2005, 07:49 PM
I voted "marginally likely", as I'd probably only use it for stuff I couldn't find at retail. I checked once a couple days ago and they didn't seem to have much, so at this point it's not much better than the fan club site. If it improves and has more figures regularly available, or if they do a one of every figure club type of thing, then I may be more likely to use it.

Tycho
05-09-2005, 08:03 PM
I'm planning on buying 21 SA Clones (#41) straight up. Anyone else?

This should be about $178 or so.

By comparison at Wal-Mart $5.24 each: $118.29 (at 1 per case, maybe 3 cases Max stocked per trip, and then 7 or more trips to get 21 - clones, WIPING THEM OUT each time, so no one that goes to that store after me gets ANY. I don't like that others wouldn't get them, but I am spending my time and money to get them and would rather get it over with. At $3 per gallon, and my Jeep Grand Cherokee getting roughly 20 miles to a gallon, and Wal-Mart being about 10 miles from me, the round trip would cost me $3 likely.

7 round trips would be $21 - if I successfully got clones EVERY trip I took.

118 + 21 = $139.

$178-139 = $39 extra. Add in failed trips, or trips that produce less than 3 SA Clones....36, 33, 30, 27.......do you think the average guy would fail more than 4 times if going DAILY at 6:45am (before the store opens, to wipe out the stock before scalpers could)?

They're not going to stock every night unless they got a ton in. They still have a ton of older figures 1-40 to clear. It's too early to see that rapid of case replacement in most cases.

It's possible to get more clones by going to more stores, i.e. Target at 7:45am.

However, many Targets do not stock overnight but stock at odd times in the morning as "house moms" roll around their red carts with the cases on them.

But more trips to more stores usually cost $3 a trip. So instead of spending $21 in gas in 7 trips, or $33 with 4 unsuccessful trips (and counting), you spend more in one morning, such as $6 for your roundtrip hunting journey.

I think you'll come close to spending just about $20 extra bucks when you look at it this way - and that's only about $1 extra dollar per figure if you are buying an army of 20 or more.

Anyone have any experience ordering an ARMY directly from Hasbro yet?

I'm preparing to myself but would love to hear another's successful experience and final cost, final wait time, and overall satisfaction.

Ji'dai
05-09-2005, 08:59 PM
Not likely. I'm at the point now that if I can't find an item at local retail outlets then I'll just do without.

I tend to avoid shopping online for figures due to higher prices and shipping costs. It's often cheaper for me to buy from local retailers since I live in a small city with only three stores that carry Star Wars. These stores also carry groceries/staples and are in the same vicinity so I can hit them in one trip.

I also prefer to pick out my own figures since I'm really picky about paint applications.

tagmac
05-09-2005, 09:35 PM
Already pre-ordered the new deluxe figures from there (cheaper than amazon, BTW), and now that the newer figures are pictured again as "Coming soon," it looks like they'll be stocking things fairly well (I hope). If I don't luck out inthe stores as I did this morning, I'll definitely continue buying from Hasbro.

Blue2th
05-09-2005, 09:44 PM
I've checked the site several times and haven't found anything I want in stock so we'll see. They need to make an incentive to visit their site. Like an exclusive that would be hard to obtain without some effort like sending in all the JEDI POINTS and PROOF OF PURCHASE seals that I have been saving since Hasbro took over Kenner. As a collector who also displays hundreds of loose figures. I think it's about time they offered something to those of us who open our figures (no stupid auctions) This might make it hard for scalpers as they don't like to open their investments. True fans would flock to the site as well as kids. Better yet offer several figures and state how many points you need to send in. You know that you can't buy these particular figures right then, but it would give us a good reason to visit the site to look. lol

Kidhuman
05-10-2005, 12:09 AM
I voted marginally. At this point I dont use debit or credit cards, so that rules that out. Secondly, I am patient and mange to get 95% of merch retail and the rest via trade. So unless something is Ephant rare, I wont use them.

dr_evazan22
05-10-2005, 12:36 AM
I went with 'marginally likely'. I have a hard time spending more for a fig when I should be able to get it for less elsewhere. I think that it is a great idea, but feel they could do it for less; it would be more likely if they even charged 5.99. I'm at a point in my fig collecting that I'm not terribly upset if I don't get every fig, as I'm now buying GG, MR, and Code 3, and maybe eventually Sideshow.

stillakid
05-10-2005, 12:47 AM
I've ordered stuff already. I like the idea that I can buy direct from the manufacturer, although their lack of inventory is confusing. One would think that they could and would handle any order request that comes to them within reason. I mean, if their on hand stock runs down and the order numbers are in, what's it take to call up manufacturing and put in a P.O. on a thousand more #41 Clone Troopers? Makes no sense.

And where is this "one of every figure club" from Hasbro that we've heard rumors about? I'll continue buying from them, but I don't want to get stuck having to repurchase just because they don't have their act together yet.

sith_killer_99
05-10-2005, 01:35 AM
And where is this "one of every figure club" from Hasbro that we've heard rumors about? I'll continue buying from them, but I don't want to get stuck having to repurchase just because they don't have their act together yet.

Stilla, the "One of Every Figure" thing won't "officially" open up until after the ROTS line has finished. They are doing a one for EPIII, but it was limited to the first 1,000 people who signed up and the cost was $500.00!?!?! That includes 1 of each figure plus the "Red Guard Chase figure" (Hasbro called it a chase figure at CIII) and a few extra "Army Builders" i.e. Clones, Wookies, etc. I think they said something like 5 randomly selected "Army Builders". That's like 62 figures for $500.00. Each figure comes in that handy new Target exclusive protective case. :rolleyes:

Anyway, the whole thing is really just a test run for Hasbro. The rep told me that Hasbro realized that they got into the game late for EPIII, since almost everyone already had the first 32 figures released on April 2nd.

So, this thing will probably kick off at the end of the year. Though they will probably start registering customers soon, so they have a jump on things before the new line hits. I sincerly hope that they have lower prices for members of this club, and I really hope that the protective cases will be optional. I don't want to pay $2.00 for a pro case on top of higher priced basic figures.

On a side note, I placed an order Sunday for the new Deluxe figures, then found them all at Wal-Mart/Target. I called today and cancelled my order, no problems, no questions, no fuss.

My real hope for the new site is that Hasbro will release more Army Builders! The rep said that by selling directly on-line they can see which figure like "Army Builers" (yes she actually said Army Builders) sell well and Hasbro can put in an order for more. This way she said they can have continuouly running figure, like say STORMTROOPERS!

There are a few things we need to keep in mind though.

1. Bottom line Hasbro has to feel like this is going to be a profitable endeavor. If noone orders from them, or only a few people order from them they may fold the whole thing up and go home. :( I felt kinda bad about cancelling my order today, but I had to do it. I really need to watch what I spend, especially with all the new merchandise and I am still recovering from CIII. ;)

2. Hasbro was not relly set up for this kinda thing. They aren't used to shipping select products in small order direct to customers. Before all they had to do was unload cases from the boat and distribute them to retailers/retail warehouses. I am sure they had to make room and hire a bunch of new folks to open up cases and breakdown orders to be shipped. Add to that the increase in credit card and other financial transactions and there can be a substantial new overhead for them to deal with. They will probably lose money on this to begin with.

3. Hasbro can't just pick up a phone and have 10,000 new Super Articulated Clones set in from China. The mfg. plant will have to keep up with all the new product on top of producing the older figures. Things like this will take time to work out.

4. Down the line, if this whole thing works out, we may be able to say good-bye to "Target" exclusives. If the website does well, maybe they will consider producing their own exclusives. Something stores may not want to take a gamble on. This would allow them to order more if they sell out, and maybe our friends overseas will be able to have them shipped to them instead of wondering if they will have to miss out again.

This whole thing could be very for collectors, especially Army Builders, or it could be a very bad thing for Hasbro. They could lose their shirt on this deal. I, for one, am happy to see them making the effort.

I will most likely end up putting in a few orders to this new site of Hasbro's.

shinji
05-10-2005, 01:39 AM
If it will save me trips to retail..so be it. The local Target is catering to a couple of scalpers and I have yet to see certain figures which are all over ebay. I figure why waste gas...it's not getting any less expensive and why spend so much time. Sure if I find a bunch of figures at retail I'll grab them. But for the ones that I can't find. It's nice to save myself the hassle for just a few dollars more. I refuse to buy stuff on secondary market that I should have been able to find at my local retail store. So...yeah I probably will buy direct from time to time...let's hope it's this website is better than hasbro's Transformer's collectors website....It's just plain disappointing.

plasticfetish
05-10-2005, 04:41 AM
I voted "somewhat likely."
Not likely. I'm at the point now that if I can't find an item at local retail outlets then I'll just do without. I tend to avoid shopping online for figures due to higher prices and shipping costs. I also prefer to pick out my own figures since I'm really picky about paint applications....but this really sums it up for me also, so I'll probably only buy "special" items, or maybe depending on price the odd item that I couldn't find at retail.

All in all, I think it's great that Hasbro is seriously developing this as an option for collectors. It's about time. Now if they could just figure out a way to produce toys domestically -- giving them a much shorter turnaround time and a better handle on QC -- then they'd really have something. :sur:

AmanaMatt
05-10-2005, 10:06 AM
Clearly based on a lack of good figures, Hasbro is not going to step on Walmart or Target's toes.....I will be amazed if I order anything other than an exclusive here or there.

sith_killer_99
05-10-2005, 12:13 PM
Now if they could just figure out a way to produce toys domestically -- giving them a much shorter turnaround time and a better handle on QC -- then they'd really have something.

Not to mention create more jobs for Americans, reduce emissions and fuel consumption by not having to ship these things half way around the world....need I go on? :crazed:

skeeziks22
05-11-2005, 11:49 AM
I voted "marginally likely." I'll go for the exclusives if they have any... but I still like the thrill of the hunt. Figures in my area are more expensive than in the lower 48, but the stores are all pretty close andwe have no tax so it's still a better deal for me to hit the stores for the toys.

It might make sense to get figures that are bound to be hard to find like the #41 clone. I think Tycho mentioned buying an army of these. if that's you thing (Army building) then that makes a lot of sense. Me, I just want one so i'll wait for the stores to get them.

This website would be a great way for Hasbro to dump their damaged figures, or damaged packaged figures. You know when they unload those ships there has got to be cases of figures that are clearly crushed. The figure may be fine, but they can't send that crushed case to a retailer. Why not sell damaged figs on-line for a reduced price... that would be perfect for openers and army builders.

Here's waiting for their first exclusive.

JediTricks
05-11-2005, 04:56 PM
I ended up voting Marginally because I've considered it, but the shipping/handling costs, extremely long shipping times, higher cost of basic figures, and most importantly the low number of items I actually want to order, with several more disappearing almost daily, leaves me cold. I want to like it, but this seems to be more like a sloppy 3rd-party e-tailer waiting for Hasbro to send more product.

Hellboy
05-11-2005, 06:37 PM
I voted "not likely."

I do however think the idea behind Hasbro's online store is great. Especially for those who have serious trouble finding new figures at retail, I just don't fall into that category. I've found that I can obtain around 90% of everything I want at retail as long as I'm patient while the other 10% I usually obtain with a little help from my friends, both locally and online.

skeeziks22
05-11-2005, 06:48 PM
I voted "not likely."

I do however think the idea behind Hasbro's online store is great. Especially for those who have serious trouble finding new figures at retail, I just don't fall into that category. I've found that I can obtain around 90% of everything I want at retail as long as I'm patient while the other 10% I usually obtain with a little help from my friends, both locally and online.

Thing about filling in the gaps through Hasbro's wesite is that there already are about ten different reasonably priced websites to check for filling in gaps. Hasbro should have done something "special" to make their site unique, and from what i can see they didn't.

sith_killer_99
05-11-2005, 07:14 PM
Hasbro should have done something "special" to make their site unique, and from what i can see they didn't.

Not yet anyway, remember, this thing is just getting off the ground. Hasbro plans to do a one of every figure club. At least this way customers won't have to worry about the company having problems meeting demand or big delays in shipping and what have you.

DarkJedi1981
05-13-2005, 02:26 PM
I voted not likely only because I think personally I'd use it more as a last resort if I could track down a figure at retail

El Chuxter
05-13-2005, 03:13 PM
"Somewhat likely." I think the chances are better than 75% that they'll offer some type of exclusive in the near future. Given that Hasbro's been better about offering army builder sets recently, I would not at all be surprised if they have a set of VOTC Stormtroopers and/or #41 Clonetroopers by the end of the year.

Also, if something is ridiculously hard to find, or if they come across a "warehouse find" of the last wave of TPM figures or something, I'll go that route.

Otherwise, I'll probably keep taking my chances at the stores. I pass several daily, so there's no extra gas involved and I only waste a couple of minutes if a store has nothing.

Turbowars
02-22-2006, 11:47 PM
Well I was able to get a few Clones and Scorches late last nite from these guys. I just hope they do ship.

Kidhuman
02-23-2006, 04:19 AM
Turbo, I ordered some Tac ops troopers from them a few weeks ago, got the package in less than a week.