PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about Count Dooku?

PloKoon2385
01-09-2002, 08:09 PM
He is old. Why and how did the Jedi (and Sith) not detect him sooner. Is he a fallen Jedi? Do you think he will be as "bad" as Maul and Vader? He certainly isn't as cool looking as them. I dunno, I have mixed feelings......:confused: :crazed: :confused:

Fulit
01-09-2002, 08:41 PM
From what I've heard Dooku may or may not be Qui-Gon's former master, and he turns after Qui-Gon was killed by Maul. The Council just doesn't detect him I guess, the same way they couldn't pick up on Palpatine/Sidious. He'll be cool, not on the same level as Maul, much more sinister, cold, and calculating. I think he'll be a pretty good character. If only he didn't have such a silly name.

Lord Tenebrous
01-09-2002, 08:43 PM
Count Dooku left the Jedi order soon after the death of his former apprentice, Qui-Gon Jinn. He pursued his political interests while being seduced by the Dark Side. Now he and Darth Sidious play both sides of the galaxy, fracturing it, casting it into war, and limiting the capabilities of a resistance movement. Dooku leads the factions that are wealthy, and by the time the Clone Wars are over, they will not be able to produce anything, leading to the styles we see in the OT.

Dooku's old. So what? So are Sidious and Yoda, and to a lesser extent, Qui-Gon. But they're the sharpest characters in the new saga. Dooku is deeply manipulative and wickedly charming - doesn't need the gimicky tattoos and speed of Maul (who is, really, just an evil version of the harpooner Queequeg in Herman Melville's Moby Dick)

Dooku is evil, but I believe more human and redeemable. But he will fall when the Sith tendancies appear, and he tries to kill Sidious - then the cloaked one will look for a more reliable apprentice, Anakin/Vader, to rid the galaxy of Dooku...

PloKoon2385
01-09-2002, 08:59 PM
When I say old, I mean visibly. I mean, I can't imagine an old guy fighting a teen and winning. Sure there's the experience factor, but there's also the stamina and agility factor. Yoda, is an alien, so it is different. Palpatine, never really used a lightsaber and fought. Anyone (Sith, not you or I) could stand on a cane and raise their arm, not just anyone can use an elegant weapon like a lightsaber. Vader was EXTREMELY high on midichlorians and he also had that armor stuff, and he wasn't terribly old. Qui-Gon showed that he was old, he is dead. He wore out quickly and was slower than Obi-Wan. You try figuring it out because I just confused myself...:crazed:

Lord Tenebrous
01-09-2002, 09:07 PM
If you think of the Jedi and Sith like wizards and sorcerors, it makes more sense. Their weapons and physical abilities are aided by a unique presense. Back then, it was magic. In the future, it's the Force.

Co Jo-Da
01-09-2002, 11:04 PM
The fact that Dooku is old doesn’t bather me; the older they are, the more powerful they become… Dooku’s ability that to defeat Anakin will be a bigger issue in Episode III (as Anakin falls to the Dark-Side), look at the ending of the fight where Yoda shows up and kick some Sith but, talk about a battle of old man...:p

Bothan187
01-10-2002, 01:54 AM
He may look old, in fact, he is old, and it is that which gives him an advantage over the young jedi Anakin. Have you learned nothing plokoon? A young human vs. old human in this world we call earth, has obvious implications. But this is a galaxy far, far, away. Think not like an earthling, but as a Jedi.

Another note, this old looking guy is one hell of an actor. By far the best actor to hold a lightsaber. You can find him in the Lord of the Rings and he also played a brilliant vampire, when he was younger. I think it isn't him you should fear, of not living up to the part per say, but more likely Sam Jackson. He who has turned an awesome role into a pitiful performance of over acting the part. Hopefully he will deliver in E2, but I fear not.

And above all things, fear N'sync and not Christopher Lee.

Fulit
01-10-2002, 02:11 AM
OK, I know this is a stupid question, but who does he play in LOTR?

Beast
01-10-2002, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by Fulit
OK, I know this is a stupid question, but who does he play in LOTR?

Christopher Lee played Saruman the White, the wizard that due to the pilintar sides with Sauron, turns against Gandalf, and creates the Orcs.

chewie
01-10-2002, 04:43 PM
This story takes place in a futuristic environment. You must also calculate medical advances in such a universe. Dooku may be an old man, but who knows how much longer a human has to live in the SW universe? Old people could potentially live two or three times longer in the SW universe if the medical technology is as advanced as their starships. Could just be that skin and hair are the only part of the body that can't be worked with, and that under the skin that Dooku is as youthful/strong as anybody of Anakin's age. Not to mention he's also a jedi master and a sith lord with even greater powers than a standard jedi that has the force to control his movements.

PloKoon2385
01-10-2002, 04:46 PM
I know that he is powerful. I know that there have been medical advancements, etc. that would keep him in tip-top shape. What I mean by old is just purely VISUALLY. I prefer seeing somewhat scary and evil looking Sith. Vader, Maul and Palpatine all LOOK evil. Sure, Dooku looks mean, but he doesn't have that certain something that makes him look, well, Sithy. Plo Koon looks more like a Sith than Dooku.

PloKoon2385
01-10-2002, 04:49 PM
I forgot to say, that I just don't think he will be as poplular. For instance, it is harder to market old man mugs than Evil tattooed man mugs. Kids won't get creeped or scared of old men in robes. Palpatine had a creepy voice and also looked creepy. He won't have the same effect as Vader (awesome voice, outfit, badness), Maul (awesome looking and skill) and Palpatine (creepiest of the creepiest...)

Jargo
01-10-2002, 04:55 PM
No, but he'll have the savvy, class and style that Maul could never match. Maul is raw edged stuff that jumps and prances whereas Dooku is more elegant and refined. You're gonna feel that when Dooku threatens Anakin he really means business. maul (had he spoken) would have been full of empty threats and empty gestures and posturing. maul wasted energy with his acrobatics, Dooku has the experience to simply let the opponent do all the hard work. That's how you win the fight by not expending any unneccesary energy and using your brain instead of your brawn.
Maul was just an acrobatic clown. Dooku is consumate evil on the end of a sharp pointy stick. :)

PloKoon2385
01-10-2002, 04:59 PM
Vader was like that too. He still was old, but be looked extremely awesome. Dark and mysterious. Vader had finesse and poked at Lukes mind by luring him. He wasn't fast or brute either. He was just smart and strong in the force. Don't you agree? But still......Dooku will not physically present an astonishing image.

Jargo
01-10-2002, 05:08 PM
I don't know, have you seen Chris Lee's eyes? he has the most evilly expressive eyes on any man living. He has the calm assured stillness and confidence of someone who knows. Y'know really KNOWS..... :eek:

I have confidence he's gonna scare the living crap out of me. Maul just made me laugh. Vader reminds me of an old bakelite radio my grandmother had when I was young so he's about as scary to me as a lampshade. Plus Dave Prowse isn't an actor so the movements of Vader seem pretty labored to me and never match the vocals of james Earl Jones. There's something inherently out of sync with vader that annoys me quite frankly. Palpatine is about as campy as they come, sort of a pantomime figure, cartoon evil. I never really believe anything he does or says at great length until he finally gets out the old electo shock bolts. Then he just looks like he trapped a part of his anatomy in his zipper rather than evil. Actually he does I admit look quite evil there at that point. :) But Dooku is much slyer than Palpatine and that's why i think he'll make the better opponent. That's why i think he'll kick butt. But as far as he looks, well his teeth are quite scary......... :rolleyes:

chewbacca71
01-10-2002, 06:09 PM
Don't you think you're jumping the gun a bit? You are basing your view of him on fractions of seconds. You haven't seen him in action. He could have a very cool style.

Relax, it will come and I think he'll be great.

By the way, Alec Guinness I think was the best actor to hold a lightsaber. :p

PloKoon2385
01-10-2002, 06:10 PM
Maybe.....but I still think he lacks something about his features. He just doesn't have that thing that makes Vader and Maul look cool. They have more makeup or something.......we shall see...:confused:

PloKoon2385
01-10-2002, 06:12 PM
Actually the person who out acts both Alec Guiness and Christopher Lee, and who isn't British, is Harrison Ford. He held it when he sliced open the Tauntaun.
I have no quarrel with his style, it's just his physical characteristics that don't quite match the picture to me. But who knows.....

chewbacca71
01-10-2002, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by PloKoon2385
Actually the person who out acts both Alec Guiness and Christopher Lee, and who isn't British, is Harrison Ford. He held it when he sliced open the Tauntaun.
I have no quarrel with his style, it's just his physical characteristics that don't quite match the picture to me. But who knows.....

Ha, ha... forgot about that.

PloKoon2385
01-10-2002, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by chewbacca71

Ha, ha... forgot about that.

Oh, and don't forget the officer who handed Vader Luke's lightsaber......that was true talent. Too bad we didn't see more of him.........:crazed:

mabudonicus
01-10-2002, 06:49 PM
No wait- aren't we forgetting when R2 held out the saber over the pit of carkoon? THAT would be a hard performance to beat! I must agree, though, with the posts begging patience- if the character is to work at all, it won't be through 2 second clips. Just look at the "weight" Lee garnered in his scenes in fotr. The character will have to unfold, and I hope that he will be given space enough to do so. Think for a minute, if you will, about how one could appreciate the full breadth of the jar jar character from "yousa a sayin peeples gonna die". The fact that we see/get nothing of the CHARACTER of dooku from what we've seen already means one of two things; either there's nothing more to him than an angry sneer, or that he will be an actual character, unlike the ominous-yet-one-dimensional(yet acrobatically impressive) darth maul. Wooooo!!!

Bothan187
01-11-2002, 01:12 AM
Alec Guiness and Harison Ford don't match the performance that Christopher Lee will give. I think you're all in for a great surprise.