PDA

View Full Version : General Falls Apart...I mean Exploding Grievous

aricajade
05-10-2005, 08:22 AM
Has anyone else had the misfortune of trying to play with a #36 Exploding Body Grievous? I must say there was no playtesting involved at all with this figure.

His head secures fine (unlike the Battle Droid).

But the front and back of his chest barely stick together, and then when you put them on the waist section, it is all you can do to stand him up without him falling about again.

And don't even attempt to put him back in his cape.

I must say that this is the worst figure I have ever tried to play with.

JetsAndHeels
05-10-2005, 09:41 AM
Don't worry, you're not alone on that. I bought an extra one to open up, because I figured with the 'exploding' feature it would be neat to play with. Boy was I wrong!! As soon as I removed the cape and undid the little clear rubber band/wire that was on the upper body of the figure, he just fell right apart. What I did was I took that wire and wrapped it back around the figure best as I could. He still wants to fall apart, but I have set him up on the shelf and haven't touched him since. Absolutely ZERO play value there because while the idea of the exploding feature is nice, its impossible to keep together for longer than 2 seconds when you don't want it falling into pieces all the time.

Lazer Brain
05-10-2005, 10:22 AM
yes, i played with it for about a minute then put the rubber band back on him. i was hoping that it would at least stay on a stand, but no he'll either bend forward or back and fall off. so , yet again the soft plastic legs and great design shine thru for hasbro.yea._
later

tgr3328
05-10-2005, 01:19 PM
I thought he would be like the Saga super battle droid, which was bad enough, but you breathe on him and he falls apart.

A cloth cape would have been nice. At least you could put it back on.

kool-aid killer
05-10-2005, 01:22 PM
I actually only bought this Grievous because i thought he looked cool with his cloak draped across him. I had no plans of trying out the exploding feature anyways so im keeping it on him. Sucks to hear that he doesnt have much value though, i will be sure not to pick him up for my brother if its just going to break apart.

beckmen
05-10-2005, 02:22 PM
Yeah. mine falls apart like crazy. Too bad they used a magnet to hold it together and not a clicky piece of plastic. His design ideation is the same as Kenner's Scopien Alien (Part of my second favorite toy line...), and that figure stayed together just fine.

I'm not sorry I bought this fig, though. He not terrible, over-all. He looks cool with his cape on. You can always glue him back together, use cheap hot glue if you don't want it perminant.

aricajade
05-10-2005, 02:24 PM
I'm not sorry I bought this fig, though. He not terrible, over-all. He looks cool with his cape on. You can always glue him back together, use cheap hot glue if you don't want it perminant.

I tried to talk my son into letting me glue it, but he was unimpressed. I am going to try tonight and see if this cool cape will fit over the regular Grievous. If it will, that will be a good combo.

ronhudy
05-10-2005, 04:14 PM
I am going to try tonight and see if this cool cape will fit over the regular Grievous. If it will, that will be a good combo.

Exactly what my son did with his...

drsidious
05-11-2005, 12:58 AM
i used the same thing i used to keep all them lightsabers from falling out ,
a small chunk of sticky tack, the stuff works wonders and dosent stain the plastic or crimp it like the lil rubberbands do

JEDIpartner
05-11-2005, 01:18 PM
I just left the cape on mine and he's on the shelf. *shrug* It's not like I plan on exploding him over and over again. LOL

beckmen
05-11-2005, 04:37 PM
It's cool to take him apart at least once (he doesn't EXPLODE) and see his neato green guts and whatnot.

JediTricks
05-11-2005, 07:27 PM
But the front and back of his chest barely stick togetherThey're not supposed to, it's more like a puzzle, the front chest piece is held in place mainly by the stomach of the waist and is only meant to be kept from slipping out the top by the rear piece, and the rear piece itself anchors into the top of the waist and has a magnet hold it down. Mine doesn't have any troubles here, I held the figure upside-down by his leg and the torso held together just fine.

I think this figure's nifty, mine doesn't fall apart on its own and stands pretty well, the limbs and head are removable, and the gimmick is fun.

Darth_Severus
05-20-2005, 01:02 PM
Yeah, I just bought Grievous today, cos I needed a good centre piece for a Jedi battle of mine, I seen him at the store and visioned my Ki-Adi Mundi, Shaak Ti, Aayla Secura and Plo Koon figures engaged in saber combat withe general, but as I opened him in the car, he fell to pieces.
I spent a frustrating hour trying to use the included translucent elastic band to fix the loosely connected pieces together, and eventually succeeded.
I felt cheated. Finally Hasbro has cracked it, you can now buy figures PRE-BROKEN!

DarthZylek
05-20-2005, 01:14 PM
SPOILER:

What is funny about this figure is that he doesn't even blow apart in the movie.

WesleySr
05-20-2005, 03:08 PM
SPOILER:

What is funny about this figure is that he doesn't even blow apart in the movie.

SPOILER:

You took the words right out of my mouth. A nice burnt feature would have been much better. Also, battle damaged, with his arms apart to where he can hold 4 lightsabers, but have 2 of his hands cut off. Or, dare I say, magnets.

beckmen
05-20-2005, 03:34 PM
I think he blew apart in an earlier version of the movie. I recall seeing screen caps...

WesleySr
05-20-2005, 03:37 PM
I think he blew apart in an earlier version of the movie. I recall seeing screen caps...

Can you post a link or something, I would like to see it. I tried to shelter myself from as many of the clips as I could.

Sith Lord 0498
05-21-2005, 07:48 AM
SPOILER:

I could be mistaken, but General Grievous did appear to blow apart in the movie. He just didn't explode hard enough to scatter his pieces across a wide area.

beckmen
05-21-2005, 03:17 PM
I think the link was on the NHS forums. I have no idea where, and there's too much content to look for it. Sorry.

Sith Lord 0498
05-21-2005, 03:51 PM
I could be mistaken, but General Grievous did appear to blow apart in the movie. He just didn't explode hard enough to scatter his pieces across a wide area.

Just saw ROTS again early this afternoon. Grievous does not explode after all. He's incinerated from within and collapses. What threw me off was that it appeared his head exploded off his body, but it didn't. The first two times I saw the movie, I was very tired and not fully aware, so it was easy to see things incorrectly.

Mad Slanted Powers
05-21-2005, 05:42 PM
Another thing is that in the movie, his cape appears to be green or a dark gray, not the light gray that is on the this figure and the preview figure. The red on the inside of the cape appears to be correct though.

WesleySr
05-22-2005, 03:35 AM
Another thing is that in the movie, his cape appears to be green or a dark gray, not the light gray that is on the this figure and the preview figure. The red on the inside of the cape appears to be correct though.

I would like to see a nice super-articulated version that can hold 4 lightsabers. Also the socket hand so that 2 can be removable. And dare I say a cloth cape with some lightsabers that can be attached to the inside.

Sith Lord 0498
05-22-2005, 09:56 AM
I would like to see a nice super-articulated version that can hold 4 lightsabers. Also the socket hand so that 2 can be removable. And dare I say a cloth cape with some lightsabers that can be attached to the inside.

It would also be nice if the legs were made of a more solid plastic with ankle articulation. My sneak preview Grievous is resting on his cape. It's the only thing holding him up.

WesleySr
05-22-2005, 03:09 PM
It would also be nice if the legs were made of a more solid plastic with ankle articulation. My sneak preview Grievous is resting on his cape. It's the only thing holding him up.

I haven't really tried to stand any of them up, so I wouldn't know about that. But I have to agree, the legs need to be more sturdy and ankle articulation would be nice.