PDA

View Full Version : Best SW Ebay auction ever (no, it's NOT mine)

darthdeogg
05-11-2005, 02:37 PM
*I'm not sure if this was the right forum to post this in, if it's not, I apologize, my bad!*

I think someone got downright sick and tired of the endless whining from some SW collectors:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=101609&item=5974071644&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

LIke I said, it's not mine, but I still think it's downright hilarious!!!

jedi master sal
05-11-2005, 02:47 PM
Funny, you say it'snot yours, yet your location on these boards and the location of the item are from the same place Williard, OH

Some of it was funny, but some was down right rude.

While some people might hide behind the term of capitolism as for their reasoning behind scalping stuff on eBay, it's still scalping.

To buy something at retail for the expresed interest of reselling it at a higher price OR knowing that there are enough, admittedly, intellectually challenged people who can't wait to purchase stuff who will pay high for stuff that will come out a few weeks later, is still scalping. Basically, someon who sells for either of those purposes is preying upon those who can't control themselves in there spending or unfounded need.

It would be my sincerst hope that scalping would just plain go away and only those people genuinely interested in whatever product would buy it.

Course, I'm not naive enough to believe that will ever occur though.

-Sal

darthdeogg
05-11-2005, 02:50 PM
Funny, you say it'snot yours, yet your location on these boards and the location of the item are from the same place Williard, OH

That's not even my ebay username.

http://cgi3.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=tugnuttsbiggestfan

This one IS.

Scackmgack
05-11-2005, 02:50 PM
Personally, I think that while the auction was meant for humorous intent, it is made at the expense of collectors who really CAN'T find products due to scalpers, and doesn't take into consideration that some people have lives and responsibilities and cannot show up just when they need to show up at stores to get product, and also doesn't take into consideration that no one should HAVE to establish relationships with stockboys to get the product they need...

I would tell the creator of this auction to kiss my ***, personally. :)

stillakid
05-11-2005, 03:30 PM
Personally, I think that while the auction was meant for humorous intent, it is made at the expense of collectors who really CAN'T find products due to scalpers, and doesn't take into consideration that some people have lives and responsibilities and cannot show up just when they need to show up at stores to get product, and also doesn't take into consideration that no one should HAVE to establish relationships with stockboys to get the product they need...

I would tell the creator of this auction to kiss my ***, personally. :)

Exactly, and if Crimson Viper Commander isn't actually Darthdeogg (which I find difficult to believe), then it's more than obvious that they know each other. I was with CVC's argument until that little bit about how not everyone on Ebay is a scalper. While technically true, in the case of the vast majority of brand new Star Wars merchandise, it is.

Browsing through CVC's sold items, he appears to be one of those comic book shop owner types specializing in Marvel and Transformer crap. Here's a very brief list of some of the stuff he has sold:

Marvel Legends 6 Deadpool Phoenix Juggernaut all MOSC
GI Joe Cobra Tele Viper x6 all MOSC Single Card Wave 3
Marvel Legends Goliath Chase Figure MOSC RARE VHTF MOC
Transformers Energon Grimlock & Swoop 2pack MISB RARE!!
Marvel Legends Chase Bullseye & Green Hulk Variant Lot

Of course, we have no way to know where he gets all of it. It may come right off a peg and onto his Ebay listing...or not. Who knows. He also likes to buy some of this stuff...for later reselling or for his own collection? Again, who knows. He likes to buy his tennis shoes online as well. And that motorcycle helmet is pretty nice. CVC appears to be trying to play down the comic book nerd thing by wearing AirJordan's while riding on his Harley. lol

Anyway, in my brief look through his sale history, I don't even see any Star Wars stuff listed, so I'm not sure why he's aiming that venom at this community. :confused: CVC appears to be a disturbed individual. :crazed:

DestronFu
05-11-2005, 10:33 PM
Wow, he seems to have a really good point! Seems like every thread I read here has someone whining about scalpers taking all their stuff. Perhaps some of you guys should take his advice.

JetsAndHeels
05-11-2005, 10:54 PM
Wow, he seems to have a really good point! Seems like every thread I read here has someone whining about scalpers taking all their stuff. Perhaps some of you guys should take his advice.

And perhaps you should take some time to establish yourself here and get to know some of us before jumping to conclusions (views DestronFu's 1 post).
If you don't know the problem with scalping, perhaps you don't really know the hobby. :)

darthdeogg
05-11-2005, 10:59 PM
And perhaps you should take some time to establish yourself here and get to know some of us before jumping to conclusions (views DestronFu's 1 post).
If you don't know the problem with scalping, perhaps you don't really know the hobby. :)

I've been on enough boards to know one very important detail:

Post count doesn't mean jack.

Try again.

JetsAndHeels
05-11-2005, 11:01 PM
I've been on enough boards to know one very important detail:

Post count doesn't mean jack.

Try again.

Look at who I was responding to.
It sure wasn't you.
Now you try again.

2-1B
05-11-2005, 11:21 PM
Take it down a notch, deogg. :)

I think that what my friend JF96 was implying is that since Destro up there just registered in April, maybe he isn't too familiar with the opinions of those around here. I don't think he was singling out post counts. :)

Now I have to go, I'm going to shill that auction up to around 50 bucks and hit Willard, OH With some Final Value Fees. :crazed: :crazed: :crazed:

JetsAndHeels
05-11-2005, 11:31 PM
I think that what my friend JF96 was implying is that since Destro up there just registered in April, maybe he isn't too familiar with the opinions of those around here. I don't think he was singling out post counts. :)

Thank you Caesar. That is exactly what I meant. They cannot possibly know us well and understand each of our situations when they have 1 post and joined last month. Obviously that needed to be explained for the dogg here. :rolleyes:

Zardossk
05-11-2005, 11:31 PM
I've been a long time reader of this board, and many others, and I'd have to say this is one of the more "complainer" heavy boards I've ever seen. I've been a collector for over 10 years now and collect a couple different toy lines and none of the other toy line message boards have as many complaints about scalping as this board and Rebelscum. I'm not saying i agree 100% with the ebay auction posted above, but I do agree with parts of it.

And yes, Darth Deogg is correct, Post count doesnt mean anything...

stillakid
05-11-2005, 11:46 PM
I've been a long time reader of this board, and many others, and I'd have to say this is one of the more "complainer" heavy boards I've ever seen. I've been a collector for over 10 years now and collect a couple different toy lines and none of the other toy line message boards have as many complaints about scalping as this board and Rebelscum. I'm not saying i agree 100% with the ebay auction posted above, but I do agree with parts of it.

And yes, Darth Deogg is correct, Post count doesnt mean anything...

Had it occurred to you that perhaps there is more complaining here and at Rebelscum because Star Wars toys are a bigger target for scalpers than other toy lines? :rolleyes: I don't see the Hotwheels guys making a beeline for the GI Joes or the Polly Pockets. The morning "joggers" are after two things: Star Wars and Hotwheels. Your decade long collection of Strawberry Shortcake playsets don't really apply in a discussion regarding scalpers. :classic:

2-1B
05-11-2005, 11:57 PM
Damnit stillakid, "morning joggers" . . . man is that classic. :D

And for the record, I can't even comment on the level of "complaints" here because I only visit the toy sections on a casual basis. Nevertheless, I agree 100% with stillakid on the basis that Star Wars is incredibly subject to scalpin' and I've noticed that for the past 10 years . . . with no end in sight, it seems.

You know, I really regret not loading up on a dozen + Lava Vaders. My sister works for Target in a city 75 minutes from here, so I went with her on Opening Day at 8am and you know how many people were there to buy the Vader ? One person, ME. And then a half hour later when we finished our other shopping, we checked out and a nice fellow came in to the store and asked me if that was the Vader. So, make that 2 people in a half hour. Not a lot of collectors in this travel-vacation-destination town because if there were, a handful of people would have shown up to get this "hot exclusive." Well what do you know, the next morning my friend came over and when he saw the Vader he said he wanted one, so I called my sister to check on getting me another one and no ****, they had been cleared out. Some a-hole scalper probably floated up from Green Bay and cleared them out. I really wish that I had bought all 3 pegs worth of them to dish out on SSG for cost plus shipping.

If that sounds like a complaint or a whine, then you have a poor sense of hearing. :crazed: :crazed: :crazed:

Kidhuman
05-12-2005, 01:53 AM
Moved to gen disc because its not about ROTS toys.

Secondly, bickering will cease or shut this thread will be.

Morning joggers...nearly spit my soda on the monitor...good one.

bighead5
05-12-2005, 09:24 AM
First, I would like to say that this world has evolved to what it is today because of capitalism. What people who sell things on ebay for today is both for capitalism and to share items that other people didn't have the fortune of finding. Is it the seller's fault that other people want to pay more for the items than the retail cost? I don't think so. Let me ask you guys this... I have read in other SSG forums about several of you going to Celebration III. Have any of you sold the exclusive talking Vader's on ebay or elsewhere? If you did, I haven't seen a single talking Vader show up for sale with a $15 or an $!18 Buy It Now. I myself was there and due to the time I waited in several lines and the time that I had to get up in the morning to wait in those lines, there would be no way in the world I would sell those Vader figures for the prices I paid for them! Time is money, and if you don't have the time to go to the stores and "make friends with the stockboy," don't complain about other people doing your legwork for you and asking a few extra bucks for their time.
Second, as far as post #'s, I have been coming to this site and have been an avid reader since 1997. I don't care enough to write in as much as many of you on this thread do and maybe if those of you that have these said high post #'s used their time to go search for items in the stores that they are looking for instead of whining about scalpers here they'd find them for themselves.

and KH... who are you to tell people what they can and can't write here and "this bickering will cease or shut this thread will be?" I have posted things in the past and have had people tell me to not write about certain things because "they said so." Last time I checked, we have the freedom of speach and press so kiss my *****!
I apologize if my views offend some of you, but in case you couldn't tell, a select few of you hit a nerve!

Kidhuman
05-12-2005, 09:26 AM
Actually, alot of members picked them up for others who could not go. I bought one at cost from a member and another member offered it at cost to me. So, to answer your question, yes they did.

darthvyn
05-12-2005, 10:57 AM
what's with the new blood being so antagonistic?

uh, "big head" is it... KH is the moderator, and therefore he can tell you what is appropriate and not. yes, there is a protection of free speech in america, but this isn't america, it's sirstevesguide.com. therefore, you abide by the rules, or else you get thrown into the pit of carcoon.

InsaneJediGirl
05-12-2005, 11:23 AM
People have a right to complain. I think the auction is a waste of listing fee,but hey,whatever floats your boat.

Moving onto my second point,the bickering does need to stop.Everyone is entitled to their own opinion,but if it gets out of hand,the thread will be closed as KH stated.

kool-aid killer
05-12-2005, 11:37 AM
Anybody else notice the postive message someone from SSG sent the seller? It came from the forum member here who has the sig that says something like "high paying buyers create scalpers, not the other way around." I would agree with you if it werent for the amount of people who have Star Wars auctions up on ebay. Like it or not, they do take their toll on this franchise probably more so than any other thats out right now. I always love to read the whole "thats capitalism" song and dance routine too. You want to make some real money? Look into real estate. Oh, wait, that actually does take some work, sorry. I dont have a problem with new members posting their opinions, theres times where i still feel like no one gives a rats can about what ive got to say, but why just drop your input into one thread and not others? It gives the impression that youre only signing up to get in a flame war.

2-1B
05-12-2005, 12:44 PM
I hope this "big head" lol lol lol fella gets banned for telling KH to kiss is *whatever*is*hiding*beneath*those*asterisks* lol lol lol

Anyway sir, don't equate the scalping of Star Wars toys with the economic function of capitalism, puhhhlease. :rolleyes: Capitalism would be Kenner/Hasbro seeing a need in the market for Star Wars toys and thus furnishing that product for the people who wish to buy those goods.

Scalpers, on the other hand, are leeches who do nothing to advance the idea of capitalism, rather they hijack items that other people want and hold them for a ransom fee. ;)

stillakid
05-12-2005, 02:50 PM
First, I would like to say that this world has evolved to what it is today because of capitalism. What people who sell things on ebay for today is both for capitalism and to share items that other people didn't have the fortune of finding.
The argument being made is that people can't find the items because scalpers pull the inventory from the backrooms or from the shelfs. Your argument is faulty from the start.

Is it the seller's fault that other people want to pay more for the items than the retail cost?
No, but an honest collector in search of an item that just can't be found has two choices: 1) go without, 2) pay the scalper premium. So, yes, in effect, it winds up being the seller's fault by, well, by default.

I don't think so. Let me ask you guys this... I have read in other SSG forums about several of you going to Celebration III. Have any of you sold the exclusive talking Vader's on ebay or elsewhere? If you did, I haven't seen a single talking Vader show up for sale with a $15 or an $!18 Buy It Now. I myself was there and due to the time I waited in several lines and the time that I had to get up in the morning to wait in those lines, there would be no way in the world I would sell those Vader figures for the prices I paid for them! Time is money,
Right which is why I personally happily paid somebody $85 bucks for a CIII Vader because I couldn't go. With the price of an airline ticket, hotel, car, admission and the time spent wasted in line instead of enjoying the event, $85 was a bargain. I recognized that this was an exclusive item and that I would not be attending. That was my choice and the ultimate price I paid was more than fair to that seller.

Now if you want to talk about something far more accessible, such as the recent Target Clone, that has more to do with the overall discussion. This is an item which supposedly is available to everyone willing to go to a Target store, no admission required. So what happens when a scalper buddies up with somebody in the stockroom and liberates the entire stock of these exclusives from the establishment? For one, now none of the honest collectors have a fair chance of getting the item. The next thing that happens of course is that that box of ten or twenty exclusives goes on Ebay "as a service to those people who can't find them." :rolleyes: At a premium, of course, for the trouble. Gee, thanks. :ermm:

and if you don't have the time to go to the stores and "make friends with the stockboy," don't complain about other people doing your legwork for you
We shouldn't have to make friends with the stockboy. First, the stockboy shouldn't be cleaning the cases out with his own favorites before they hit the pegs, yet we all know that that happens. Second, the only reason this notion of "making friends with the stockboy" came up is because of the need to beat the early morning scalpers who are intent on making a living off of honest collectors. Of course the scalpers get in on the action and make friends too so the problem persists.

stillakid... your name says it all.
The pot calling the kettle black... I must've hit pretty close to the mark to get him all riled up like that, eh Chewy? lol

.. you whine about people as much as anyone in this forum...
This is a formal request for you to back that assertion up. I'd like to see examples of posts that I've made with links provided which shows that I "whine about people" on SSG. I won't hold my breath because I know you can't do it. :rolleyes: Put this on your forehead: L lol

and KH... who are you to tell people what they can and can't write here and "this bickering will cease or shut this thread will be?" I have posted things in the past and have had people tell me to not write about certain things because "they said so." Last time I checked, we have the freedom of speach and press so kiss my *****!
I apologize if my views offend some of you, but in case you couldn't tell, a select few of you hit a nerve!
Like I said, we hit pretty close to the mark. Scalpers hate being called on the mat. But as is pretty evident, this is a free country but this forum has it's own rules. KH is a moderator who enforces those rules which is why I expect you'll be leaving here any day now. :)

JetsAndHeels
05-12-2005, 02:56 PM
Put this on your forehead: L lol

Stillakid, I would like to say that you are now my personal hero!!
lol

stillakid
05-12-2005, 03:19 PM
Stillakid, I would like to say that you are now my personal hero!!
lol

Do I get a cape? :smoker:

Kidhuman
05-12-2005, 03:20 PM
And a big S on your chest. :D

JON9000
05-12-2005, 03:21 PM
I bought 2 Ephant Mon when I saw him at KB. If I now sell 1 and some crazies push the auction up to $50, does that make me a scalper?

If people would just be patient, it would hardly be a problem. 99% of stuff turns up at retail eventually, or can be had on ebay for retail or less!

I once paid $40 for monkey face Leia. After that, I promised myself I would never pay scalper prices again, because it was stupid to do so. :stupid:

Another time I was about to give in and pay scalper prices for Ree-Yees and the Death Squad Commander, but I held out and lo and behold, they were both on a retail site for $6.99 each.

The point is, movie time, or right after a figure has been released, is usually the worst time to try and buy if it is "scarce". If you buy during these times, understand that you are usually paying for the privilege to own something "right now". That is your choice, but don't slam people when you give them the bat to beat you with!

Just be patient!!!!

Kidhuman
05-12-2005, 03:23 PM
Jon,

I dont htink that would make you a scalper, setting reserves, starting auctions with anything more than retail + ebay costs, and setting an outrageous BIN price makes a scalper. All those things are avoidable IMO.

JetsAndHeels
05-12-2005, 03:23 PM
Do I get a cape? :smoker:

You don't need one!! That post was good enough!!

stillakid
05-12-2005, 03:29 PM
Jon,

I dont htink that would make you a scalper, setting reserves, starting auctions with anything more than retail + ebay costs, and setting an outrageous BIN price makes a scalper. All those things are avoidable IMO.

I more or less agree. If I buy something at a normal retail price and can't find a local taker (for trade or simple reimbursement), putting it up on Ebay to provide that distribution service is an option. But to stay clear of the darkside and becoming a scalper, the item would have to have a BUY IT NOW option at a price where you would recoup your acquisition costs. Meaning, cost of the item, applicable taxes, and reasonable and justifiable "labor" costs. So if I'm at Target anyway and happen to run past something cool, I'd just seek reimbursement. If I have to travel to a convention 2000 miles away and stand in a line for 8 hours, then there is a reasonable justification for an increased price.

But simply tossing a much desired item up on Ebay without the option for retail price is opportunism and makes the seller a scalper whether it fetches a big price or not. Why? Because you'd be putting it up there with the express intent on making a profit and not simply recovering acquisition costs.

bighead5
05-12-2005, 10:21 PM
Right which is why I personally happily paid somebody $85 bucks for a CIII Vader because I couldn't go. With the price of an airline ticket, hotel, car, admission and the time spent wasted in line instead of enjoying the event, $85 was a bargain. I recognized that this was an exclusive item and that I would not be attending. That was my choice and the ultimate price I paid was more than fair to that seller.

Now if you want to talk about something far more accessible, such as the recent Target Clone, that has more to do with the overall discussion. This is an item which supposedly is available to everyone willing to go to a Target store, no admission required. So what happens when a scalper buddies up with somebody in the stockroom and liberates the entire stock of these exclusives from the establishment? For one, now none of the honest collectors have a fair chance of getting the item. The next thing that happens of course is that that box of ten or twenty exclusives goes on Ebay "as a service to those people who can't find them." :rolleyes: At a premium, of course, for the trouble. Gee, thanks. :ermm:

:)
I'm glad to see that you agree with me about the CIII Vader figure. That was exactly my point with regards to this thread; it costs money to acquire some of these items.

As for the Target Clone, I have an extra one and I'll sell it to you for $20 if you want it!
The extra money will cover part of the cost of my gas going to seven different Target stores to get one since they all were out except one store; if that's okay with you of course... I wouldn't want to capitalize or be called a "scalper." :sur:

I don't know any stockboys or any other person who works at Target but rather someone from another thread here gave me some help as to how I can find them easier. I took his advice and I got a few. Thank you again to whoever that was!

If I were to go and sell the extra ones I got on ebay and make a few extra bucks doing it, several of you would try and make me feel guilty for doing so. I think that is crappy. I didn't buy every one they had (and I could have), but I did spend my time, gas and wear and tear on my car going to those seven different stores to find them... and if taking an extra few dollars for that, if I decide to sell them, is bad then don't buy one! But don't complain about it either.

It's like people complaining about a TV show not having the "proper" content or people that complain about Howard Stern being too sexually explicit... if you don't like it, don't watch it or listen to it. It's that simple.

Not that I feel like I have to justify myself here, but 98% of my transactions on ebay are from me buying things from these so called scalpers. You don't hear me complaining about them... and you won't. I think Brian's Toys is one of the most guilty party's with scalping, if that's what you want to call it, so I choose to make it a point not to buy from them rather than complain about them. I chose an action rather than words.

When the Lava Vader figures came out, I went to several Target stores in order to get one and one of the stores I visited had a few left when I arrived, but they wouldn't sell me one. Why? Because they told me one person came in earlier and bought 300 of them and they were his. Now, I don't how that one store had 300, but that is what I was told. Nonetheless, I had to go to yet another store before I could actually get one for myself. If I hadn't found one though, I would be on ebay trying to buy one because I would have to have it... and even though I wouldn't like spending the higher price, I'd still do it without complaining about scalpers because that's life.

If you don't like my opinions, ignore them. If you want to kick me out for voicing my opinion and rocking the boat a bit against the high and mighty with tons of posts, so be it. I don't write in often enough that it should really matter to you.

bighead5
05-12-2005, 10:24 PM
I bought 2 Ephant Mon when I saw him at KB. If I now sell 1 and some crazies push the auction up to $50, does that make me a scalper?

The point is, movie time, or right after a figure has been released, is usually the worst time to try and buy if it is "scarce". If you buy during these times, understand that you are usually paying for the privilege to own something "right now". That is your choice, but don't slam people when you give them the bat to beat you with!

I couldn't agree with you more! Either you decide to buy items for whatever the auction price reaches or you don't... but don't slam the seller for your decision to pay that higher price.

bighead5
05-12-2005, 10:46 PM
IAnyway sir, don't equate the scalping of Star Wars toys with the economic function of capitalism, puhhhlease. :rolleyes: Capitalism would be Kenner/Hasbro seeing a need in the market for Star Wars toys and thus furnishing that product for the people who wish to buy those goods.

So with that being said, doesn't that make Toys R' Us, Wal-Mart, Target, KB Toys, etc. scalpers. They are buying up those items from Kenner/Hasbro and reselling them to us at a higher price; right? Based on your logic above, what's the difference? There isn't any.

Kidhuman
05-12-2005, 11:54 PM
So with that being said, doesn't that make Toys R' Us, Wal-Mart, Target, KB Toys, etc. scalpers. They are buying up those items from Kenner/Hasbro and reselling them to us at a higher price; right? Based on your logic above, what's the difference? There isn't any.

Okay, Hasbro makes the figures, sells them to Target for two bucks each. Target then pays for shipping of the merch, paying personnel to ship it, unload it, stock it. There is the difference between two bucks and five bucks.

A scalper goes to Target, spends his five bucks on said figure. Drives home. Ebays it with a BIN for 19.99 + 7 dollars shipping. 18 dollars of profit. Where is his overhead? No employees, no shipping no stocking. That is whatthe difference is

bighead5
05-13-2005, 12:49 AM
Okay, Hasbro makes the figures, sells them to Target for two bucks each. Target then pays for shipping of the merch, paying personnel to ship it, unload it, stock it. There is the difference between two bucks and five bucks.

A scalper goes to Target, spends his five bucks on said figure. Drives home. Ebays it with a BIN for 19.99 + 7 dollars shipping. 18 dollars of profit. Where is his overhead? No employees, no shipping no stocking. That is whatthe difference is

That doesn't happen very often that anyone will pay $19.99 for any of the current new figures... at least not that I have seen (Lava Vader, Target Clone and CIII Vader excluded since none of them sold originally for $5.99).

But, if it was out there like that you have to take into consideration transportation to and from said Target, or any other store (shipping costs of transporting merch from store to home... gas money if nothing else), ebay insertion and final value fees (overhead), PayPal fees (more overhead), shipping materials like popcorn, bubble wrap, boxes, tape, etc. (even more overhead if you want to do it right), transportation to and from shipping facility (more shipping costs) and finally the cost of shipping itself. Also, for those that use ebay for a living you could include computer costs and internet service costs as well under overhead, but I won't in this example. I don't see that as being $18 profit at all... it isn't zero profit, but not $18 either. One other thing I didn't include in the above was time. I don't know about you, but my time is money as it is for many people.

Stillakid said he purchased a CIII Vader for $85. He said he didn't mind doing it either because he couldn't go to CIII and he understood the value of buying it at a higher price than what it could have been purchased for if he were there.

Where do you draw the line between scalping and selling something others can't find or get a hold of regardless of the reason? That's the desparagement that I see here the most. On one hand some people complain about it, yet on the other they see the logic... I don't get it.

Again, if you don't agree with the higher prices, don't buy it. But please, don't complain about it incessantly. I originally joined this forum in 2003 because I love Star Wars, am an avid collector and I thought it would be fun since I have been coming to this site since 1997 when it wasn't much more than a figure and variation list with some news updates. Up until I read this thread and got told in another thread that I couldn't say that I was very disappointed with Episodes I & II because so and so said so before, I got pretty ticked off. So I vented because it wasn't fun. And, in case anyone remembers that thread, I was asked and never responded to "Who can do a better job at telling the story than George Lucas?" Timothy Zahn for starters. He wrote two incredible trilogies on the Star Wars saga. There are also several other Star Wars authors that could have written the movies better but that debate is for another thread.

That being said, I am anxiously awaiting ROTS and I am expecting to see an incredible movie that will more than make up for, in my opinion, two lousy other movies in Ep. I & II.

stillakid
05-13-2005, 01:18 AM
Stillakid said he purchased a CIII Vader for $85. He said he didn't mind doing it either because he couldn't go to CIII and he understood the value of buying it at a higher price than what it could have been purchased for if he were there.

Where do you draw the line between scalping and selling something others can't find or get a hold of regardless of the reason? That's the desparagement that I see here the most. On one hand some people complain about it, yet on the other they see the logic... I don't get it.

Let me help you to understand. CIII and the like are one location, one time only events with limited "exclusive" product. The Celebration III Darth Vader was not available in 3000 retail outlets across the United States the way normal merchandise is. The primary rule of the convention/exclusives game is that if you want the merchandise, you have to show up, which in most cases means travel at significant cost and all the ancillary costs associated with such a venture. Because I chose to not play by that rule and show up personally, I automatically forfeit any right to get the merchandise at the standard sale price.

Now if we look at an "unlimited" item that is commonly available at multiple retail outlets simultaneously for an unspecified period of time, the assumption is that the casual shopper should have more than adequate opportunity to find and purchase whatever he/she desires. There is no preset time limit nor cost of admission. Just like Kleenex or batteries, there really is little reason why anyone should have to make a special trip to a Target or TRU just to race other collectors and scalpers in a sprint to see who gets to the pegs first. Collectors sprint because the assumption is that the guy next to him has his Ebay account warming up at home. I don't know any real collectors who would engage in that ultra silly speedwalk if they knew for a fact that scalpers slept in that day. But those losers are ALWAYS there, at the doors, waiting to beat out the genuine collectors so that they can continue their loser lives, selling their little bits of junk instead of finding a real job.

And what of the collector who chooses to sell off some "extras?" Well, we all find ways to justify our behavior when we want to, don't we? lol Seriously, how much gas do you use travelling to 6 different Targets to find what you're looking for? And who's fault is that? Had it occurred to you that you had to travel to so many places because scalpers got there first? And when you finally got your booty, your first instinct is to join the party and provide that valuable service, all the while justifying the higher price with an exaggerated estimate of your time and fuel expenditure. Flying to Indianapolis, staying the weekend, and spending hours upon hours in a stupid line is one thing. Driving around for an hour or so in your hometown is another.

Regardless of my own justification for spending more on one thing than another, the fact of the matter is that any selling above and beyond what you actually paid for the item is scalping. That is unless you actually declare yourself a business and can and will account to the IRS your overhead expenses, including time spent, fuel, phone and whatever else went into it. If this isn't an actual business for you, then you are just an opportunist, using your personal choice to travel the countryside as justification for gouging real collectors.

bighead5
05-13-2005, 01:44 AM
Well, we all find ways to justify our behavior when we want to, don't we? lol

That's funny! You should listen to your own advice. lol

But, since I am defending people who sell things on ebay that don't have their own business and you want to say that if I sell my "extras" that that makes me a scalper... then so be it. I am a scalper. Big deal!

On the rare occasion that I do sell something on ebay, I usually start the auction at a penny. Is it then my fault that people bid the items over the regular store price? Does that make me a scalper? In your mind it probably does, but not in mine so we can agree to disagree.

plasticfetish
05-13-2005, 01:58 AM
Anyway, about that HI-larious ebay auction...

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/noitem.html

:)

stillakid
05-13-2005, 07:37 AM
That's funny! You should listen to your own advice. lol
Regarding what, exactly? You try to mock me but without any "behavior" of mine to speak of. :rolleyes:

But, since I am defending people who sell things on ebay that don't have their own business and you want to say that if I sell my "extras" that that makes me a scalper... then so be it. I am a scalper. Big deal!

On the rare occasion that I do sell something on ebay, I usually start the auction at a penny. Is it then my fault that people bid the items over the regular store price? Does that make me a scalper? In your mind it probably does, but not in mine so we can agree to disagree.
Like I said regarding YOU, we all find ways to justify our behavior. In those 1 cent auctions, are you putting on a BUY IT NOW option for retail price? If not, then you're obviously hoping to turn a tidy profit therefore, yeah, that would qualify you as a scalper. Going into a retail establishment, purchasing items as face value, then turning them around with the express intent of making a profit (whether you do or not) makes a person a scalper. Trying to pin the responsibility on the victim is ridiculous. That'd be like saying that a rapist is just a guy who likes sex and the blame belongs entirely to his victim because she let it happen. :rolleyes:

JON9000
05-13-2005, 08:03 AM
But simply tossing a much desired item up on Ebay without the option for retail price is opportunism and makes the seller a scalper whether it fetches a big price or not. Why? Because you'd be putting it up there with the express intent on making a profit and not simply recovering acquisition costs.
But if I were to include a buy it now price of $5.99, someone would swoop in and buy the item almost as soon as it was posted (perhaps a scalper who would then repost it without the buy it now option!) without it being up long enough for everyone to have an opportunity to appraise its value to them and bid accordingly. Without a buy it now, but with a low open, the item goes to the individual who values it the most.

stillakid
05-13-2005, 08:22 AM
But if I were to include a buy it now price of $5.99, someone would swoop in and buy the item almost as soon as it was posted (perhaps a scalper who would then repost it without the buy it now option!) without it being up long enough for everyone to have an opportunity to appraise its value to them and bid accordingly. Without a buy it now, but with a low open, the item goes to the individual who values it the most.

So it all goes back to the scalpers then, doesn't it? ;)

Of course it will be bought up right away, just like it would have at retail. Regardless of the buyers intent, at least you know you behaved properly. Letting an item sell for a price over and above the "normal" price isn't providing a service to regular collectors, as you are suggesting. It's just opportunism on your part. See, the thing to keep in mind is that the responsibility for scalping doesn't rest with the buyer. The seller is the one making the choice. We don't brand buyers with a term because inevitably, it is their choice to decide how much they really want something. But if all of us cleaned off all the pegs with no other reason than to protect each other from scalpers...then resold all of that stock at premium prices, you know, so that scalpers didn't just swoop in, then what makes us better than them? No matter what your reasoning, be it trying to protect the merchandise from scalpers or in trying to recoup modest labor/fuel costs, selling anything above and beyond it's normal asking price is scalping.

Now in your scenario above, you're right. Maybe a scalper would swoop in and then try to turn it right around for a profit. In that case, you wouldn't be guilty of anything but trying to help. Some jackarse that swoops in has to live with the knowledge that he's being unfair. Naturally, the world is full of losers who will either justify that behavior to make themselves feel better or who just don't really give a crap. But the important thing is that YOU do what's right. We can't be responsible for what other people do.

But that sets up an obvious problem. The people who need the item don't get it still. Ah, but they can and will. Follow me for a sec....say I get my hands on a bunch of #41 Clones. I could put them up on Ebay for that 1 cent opening bid. Obviously these things are hot so the price will go up and over normal retail. Probably way over. Right? Will a scalper be the last bidder? If the price is sufficiently high enough, then no. Why? Because he's going to buy as low as possible to maximize the profit. So you know that the last bidder is a collector who really wants the thing, as you were concerned about. Once the auction is over, contact the buyer and ask him about his collection. If you get the sense that he's sincerely collecting, drop the final price back to retail (minus Ebay fees if you wish). Instead of charging the collector a premium, be a nice guy and actually provide that service everybody is talking about. All at once, you've managed to filter out the opportunists and find the real collector. :)

JON9000
05-13-2005, 09:03 AM
So is your definition of a scalper:

1. one who purchases an item with the express intent to sell it for profit on the aftermarket;

or

2. one who sells an item on the aftermarket, and reaps a profit.

Regarding Star Wars, I think a scalper is one who conspires with store personnel to purchase scarce items at retail cost in bulk, then sells them on ebay while they otherwise would be available in stores were it not for the shady activity.

It sounds to me as though you are leaning towards definition 2, which I think is a rather harsh rule.

I don't really have any huge problem with scalping, I think it sucks, but I reserve my real anger for those that do it with regards to life's necessities- gouging.

bighead5
05-13-2005, 09:47 AM
Regarding what, exactly? You try to mock me but without any "behavior" of mine to speak of. :rolleyes:

To answer your question, YOU find ways to justify your side of the story like with your reason to buy the CIII Vader at a higher price. Scalping is scalping regardless of how or where the item could be purchased.

Based on YOUR CIII Vader logic, though, I have a Toy Fair Vader I can sell you for $200 or, wait, how about a Gentle Giant Blue Clone Trooper mini-bust for about $400.

Doing that would be okay and not scalping in your mind since they were both convention exclusives. I still think that those prices are ridiculous, but people are willing to buy them for those prices nonetheless.

How about this? I have all twelve of the original 12-Back figures still sealed on their cards. They were purchased back in 1977 for $1.99 each. Now, using your same logic, if I were to sell these for more than $1.99 each that makes me a scalper too since they were available at retail stores all over the country? Is that right?

Again, we can agree to disagree on this subject. Let's move on!

bighead5
05-13-2005, 09:54 AM

1. one who purchases an item with the express intent to sell it for profit on the aftermarket;

or

Regarding Star Wars, I think a scalper is one who conspires with store personnel to purchase scarce items at retail cost in bulk, then sells them on ebay while they otherwise would be available in stores were it not for the shady activity.

It sounds to me as though you are leaning towards definition 2, which I think is a rather harsh rule.

I don't really have any huge problem with scalping, I think it sucks, but I reserve my real anger for those that do it with regards to life's necessities- gouging.
I feel exactly the same way you do JON9000, and I couldn't have said it any better.

You're my hero and I think you deserve a cape and an S and whatever else you desire!

stillakid
05-13-2005, 11:28 AM

or

Both 1 and 2 define a scalper. This isn't a cafeteria line where you get to pick and choose definitions to make yourself feel better. Whether we're talking about concert tickets or toys, purchasing them at the time of normal retail sale with the intent of reselling them at a profit defines scalping. Sorry to break it to you. But have a good time doing it! :)

stillakid
05-13-2005, 11:34 AM
To answer your question, YOU find ways to justify your side of the story like with your reason to buy the CIII Vader at a higher price. Scalping is scalping regardless of how or where the item could be purchased.

Based on YOUR CIII Vader logic, though, I have a Toy Fair Vader I can sell you for $200 or, wait, how about a Gentle Giant Blue Clone Trooper mini-bust for about $400.

Doing that would be okay and not scalping in your mind since they were both convention exclusives. I still think that those prices are ridiculous, but people are willing to buy them for those prices nonetheless.

How about this? I have all twelve of the original 12-Back figures still sealed on their cards. They were purchased back in 1977 for $1.99 each. Now, using your same logic, if I were to sell these for more than $1.99 each that makes me a scalper too since they were available at retail stores all over the country? Is that right?

Again, we can agree to disagree on this subject. Let's move on!

You'll never get it, will you? The difference between a special one time event and normal retail makes all the difference. And while there obviously are no hard and fast rules regarding what constitutes a reasonable markup on an exclusive, this is where the market determines the price. A great example of this was the recent ToyFair Anakin/Vader toy. Prices were astronomical on this...far and away what the previous silver Vader went for. I didn't bite. I don't know how many people did, though I'm sure a few were dumb enough. I mean, we're talking in the thousands of dollars for that thing. Crazy and definitely not justified by the seller's travel expenses. No way.

Vintage is different than retail. Vintage toys are no longer available at current retail outlets for retail prices at every Target (for example) across the US. Obviously that's a completely different thing and you know that. Don't play stupid.

Look, you want to be a scalper, then have at it. Heck, be proud of it if that's what makes you happy. :) Just don't try to pass yourself off as someone doing good work trying to help out collectors when you're making a profit off of them. That's all. :)

JON9000
05-13-2005, 11:56 AM
purchasing them at the time of normal retail sale with the intent of reselling them at a profit defines scalping.

Definition 2 leaves out the intent element. I just decide later to sell an item I purchased, come what may.

See, the thing to keep in mind is that the responsibility for scalping doesn't rest with the buyer. The seller is the one making the choice. We don't brand buyers with a term because inevitably, it is their choice to decide how much they really want something.

I am afraid the above statement has me confused- blame a seller for allowing buyers to decide how much they value an item and then blaming the seller when buyers decide they value the item a lot? And leaving (STUPID) buyers blame free? (And I can say "stupid buyer" because I have worn the dunce hat personally).

This difficulty is why I choose to define scalping more narrowly.

stillakid
05-13-2005, 02:52 PM
Definition 2 leaves out the intent element. I just decide later to sell an item I purchased, come what may.

Then why did you buy it in the first place? :confused: Now granted, there's buyer's remorse I suppose. I myself usually stay away from the Unleashed stuff, but that Chewbacca was really interesting. So I bought one at retail and took him home. :) Well, for some reason, I thought that Yoda looked cool too...then the Clone Troopers, the Tusken Raider, and a couple more. After awhile, some of them weren't quite as interesting as I initially thought so the opportunity to trade them came up. So I did, for some new ROTS stuff I was looking for. Was it an "even" trade? I don't know for sure, dollar for dollar, but I don't think either of us came away feeling cheated by the other. I wasn't trying to gouge the guy looking for the stuff I had and he wasn't trying to spin a tidy profit on the newer stuff he happened to come by at retail the previous day. Everybody leaves happy. :)

But apart from that scenario, which may be something like what you're describing above, why else would you buy something only to let it fester in a closet for a while until you decide to sell it later on? I don't understand. :confused:

I am afraid the above statement has me confused- blame a seller for allowing buyers to decide how much they value an item and then blaming the seller when buyers decide they value the item a lot? And leaving (STUPID) buyers blame free? (And I can say "stupid buyer" because I have worn the dunce hat personally).

Who hasn't? :D But yeah, when there is literally NO choice but to purchase from a place like Ebay, after all the stock is gone because of honest collectors and scalpers alike, there is only one way to get it...well, the collector isn't going to be selling off his collection anytime soon, so who does that leave? Hmm, I wonder? Let's see, who could it be? The Scalper maybe? :sur: So why does he have it in the first place. Just so he can get frequent flier miles on his credit card? Perhaps, but more likely he went into a store with the express intent on trying to corner that market by depleting the stock of a specific item. I rather doubt that the casual "I just don't want it anymore" kind of seller really exists in great numbers on Ebay.

JON9000
05-13-2005, 04:44 PM
Then why did you buy it in the first place? :confused:
I bought two when I found him because I wanted one to open and set up with Jabba and the gang, and one to keep in the package. I suppose eventually I may get rid of my packaged figures- all they do is sit in a box.

But if a few of my figures catch high prices maybe it will offset the bath I will take on everything else. That's why I think intent is important. I would just be selling my goods, not scheming on how I could part some kid from his allowance.

Bacta Beast
05-13-2005, 08:11 PM
Hey, Stilla, I actually agree with you again! Albeit, I don't have as much of a problem with the onesy, twosy guys. But someones got to do something about these jokers buying up large amounts of things, like the Target clone, for the express purpose of scalping. But, then there's the others that buy large amounts just for their collections, or dioramas. I know I like as many troopers and droids as possible, but I do try to think of others and leave something whenever find new stuff. I think that in a case like the Target clone, Hasbro has to bare a chunk of the blame. What a stupid choice of character to produce such a limited quantity of! :mad: They know we all want SP troop builders. And why pack ANY figure as one per case (or less?) How does that help anyone but the scalper? Including the maufacturer?!

I also wanted to say that I think instead of using ebay to "help out" fellow collectors, it's better to use forums like these. I've benefited and helped others that way with both Lord of the Rings, and Marvel Legends on SuperHeroTimes, and Lordoftheringsguide.com. I haven't seen that we have anything like it here on Sirsteves, but it's really pretty simple. And It's the best way to help other collectors not fall prey to scalpers.

Kidhuman
05-13-2005, 11:36 PM
Big head

Driving around to seven stores to hoard merchandise to seel ata higher price is whata scalper does. He chooses to use his gas thatway. No reason why he should pass the expenses on to the consumer, because of whathe does. I am quite sure, he did not buy a computer, get interent service and have to pay his electricity justso he could sell figures. That is a load of trash.

I will give you packing materials, boxes and such. But one huge roll of bubble wrap is 5 bucks. How many figures can you wrap with that? ANd priority boxes are free at the post office, so I am taking back what I conceeded in this discussion. It is fraud and the only intent is to make profit. Bottom line, so yes, the 18 dollars is pure profit.

plasticfetish
05-14-2005, 03:26 AM
So is your definition of a scalper...You know, what really matters here isn't so much how we bang around the definition of who is or isn't a scalper. What really matters is how we define just what it is about the issue/problem that stands to most negatively effect our toy collecting hobby.

We could go on about the broader definition of what "scalping" is, and the dictionary has a pretty good entry for that...

Main Entry: 2scalp
Function: verb
transitive senses
1 a : to deprive of the scalp b : to remove an upper part from
2 : to remove a desired constituent from and discard the rest
3 : to buy and sell so as to make small quick profits <scalp stocks> <scalp grain>; especially : to resell at greatly increased prices <scalp theater tickets>
intransitive senses
1 : to take scalps
2 : to profit by slight market fluctuations- scalper noun

...but we're not really addressing in a specific way just what it is about scalping that hurts the hobby. (Any hobby really, but let's stick to this Star Wars toy thing.)

The fact is, that there are people out there that make it their job to buy up large quantities of an item -- an exclusive figure, or whatever -- in order to ensure that there will be none available to the general public at retail. This drives up the value of an item, and in turn makes speculating on "collectible" toys even more desirable to people that wouldn't otherwise collect those toys. It encourages a kind selfish business that mostly serves to ruin the hobby for everyone. By taking something really simple... and honestly, let's admit it... silly like toy collecting, and turning it into a kind of racket based on greed alone.

I don't have a problem with people selling toys, collectibles or anything to make a living, or even to help fund their hobby. Hey... I've been there and done that. I'll continue to do it, but I'll continue to do it with integrity (I hope.) The real issue is that there are people out there that are only interested in scr**ing over their customers or a given community of collectors, and that's bad for everyone involved. They make the toy companies look stupid, because the toys, seemingly, aren't being distributed. They make the retail shops look bad because they can't seem to make their merchandise available to the people that really want it the most. (The ones that are most apt to remember a positive or negative shopping experience, and to take that forward.) They make the collecting community look like a bunch of petty, irritating, dorks who have nothing better to do than whine about toys. When in reality, most of us have plenty (seriously!) of other things to do -- which is why we tend to lean on this form of simple and harmless recreation as a kind of release and escape from that stress.

The constant threat of being "scalped" does not make for a fun hobby. That's the real issue, and above all else, that's why most of us around here will continue to complain about, and in my case, hassle scalpers when I see them in stores.

The chucklehead with the eBay scalper coupon thing (who I reported for violating eBay policy) can :kiss: my plastic a**.

bighead5
05-14-2005, 05:25 AM
Big head

Driving around to seven stores to hoard merchandise to seel ata higher price is whata scalper does. He chooses to use his gas thatway. No reason why he should pass the expenses on to the consumer, because of whathe does. I am quite sure, he did not buy a computer, get interent service and have to pay his electricity justso he could sell figures. That is a load of trash.

I will give you packing materials, boxes and such. But one huge roll of bubble wrap is 5 bucks. How many figures can you wrap with that? ANd priority boxes are free at the post office, so I am taking back what I conceeded in this discussion. It is fraud and the only intent is to make profit. Bottom line, so yes, the 18 dollars is pure profit.

Kid human

First, I don't go to all these stores with the intent of hoarding anything or to sell what I find. I go to these stores to see if there is anything new that I can add to my personal collection that isn't a dime a dozen everywhere else. My job takes me all over town (in my own vehicle) and I stop into stores when I have the time.

You all seem to think that that is what I do... I hoard these items just to sell them. Far from the truth. My point is that I don't go looking for things to sell, but if I find something and it I see that it fetches a few extra bucks, I may sell it if I think I'll be able to find it again later without my having to shell out a lot more cash then. That rarely happens though and when it does it is mainly to offset some of the out pouring of cash from my wallet; not to cheat others.

More than anything, I wear the "dunce cap" of stupidity in buying the stuff from these "scalpers" on ebay. I don't mind either if I think I'm getting a good deal; and I'll only bid up to the amount in which I think that deal is good.

Also, regarding the scalper and his profits we've been talking about, I've never bought bubble wrap so if you say it's $5 a roll, I wouldn't know; but if you say so... If and when I do sell something I wrap it in the bubble wrap or other materials I had things I purchased on ebay were wrapped with because I have so much of that. But I do know that you would still be incorrect about the "profit" on our make believe transaction. You still didn't take into consideration ebay fees (at least a $1), PayPal fees (4% of total including shipping costs), and the actual cost of shipping itself (at least $4+/-). You are forgeting that even though the buyer is paying the seller for shipping that someone (the seller) has to pay the shipper, so even if you want to say that packaging materials are free, there are other costs incurred rendering that $18 profit to be more like $11 or $12. Another thing we aren't considering is sales tax. You and still a kid are saying we should sell something at retail price to be "fair" to the next guy, but even that would cause the seller to lose money of his own due to the things I just mentioned above.

One last thing I would like to say is that I don't sell Star Wars toys to make a profit. If I wanted to sell things for profit it would be something totally different than this nickel and dime hobby. If anything, I have lost money on this Star Wars hobby of mine since 90% of the toys I have purchase for my own collection don't even sell for the amount I paid for them at retail. I have tons of red carded and green carded figures I bought when they came out that you can't even sell for a buck a piece. And, that same thing can be said about almost every line since then, CommTech, Episode I, Saga, etc.

So, it's not about making money for me to sell something, but to quote JON9000, " But if a few of my figures catch high prices maybe it will offset the bath I will take on everything else." (I haven't figured out how to use multiple quotes yet, so if anyone wants to share that with me I'd appreciate it.)

bighead5
05-14-2005, 05:40 AM
You know, what really matters here isn't so much how we bang around the definition of who is or isn't a scalper. What really matters is how we define just what it is about the issue/problem that stands to most negatively effect our toy collecting hobby.

We could go on about the broader definition of what "scalping" is, and the dictionary has a pretty good entry for that...

Main Entry: 2scalp
Function: verb
transitive senses
1 a : to deprive of the scalp b : to remove an upper part from
2 : to remove a desired constituent from and discard the rest
3 : to buy and sell so as to make small quick profits <scalp stocks> <scalp grain>; especially : to resell at greatly increased prices <scalp theater tickets>
intransitive senses
1 : to take scalps
2 : to profit by slight market fluctuations- scalper noun

...but we're not really addressing in a specific way just what it is about scalping that hurts the hobby. (Any hobby really, but let's stick to this Star Wars toy thing.)

The fact is, that there are people out there that make it their job to buy up large quantities of an item -- an exclusive figure, or whatever -- in order to ensure that there will be none available to the general public at retail. This drives up the value of an item, and in turn makes speculating on "collectible" toys even more desirable to people that wouldn't otherwise collect those toys. It encourages a kind selfish business that mostly serves to ruin the hobby for everyone. By taking something really simple... and honestly, let's admit it... silly like toy collecting, and turning it into a kind of racket based on greed alone.

I don't have a problem with people selling toys, collectibles or anything to make a living, or even to help fund their hobby. Hey... I've been there and done that. I'll continue to do it, but I'll continue to do it with integrity (I hope.) The real issue is that there are people out there that are only interested in scr**ing over their customers or a given community of collectors, and that's bad for everyone involved. They make the toy companies look stupid, because the toys, seemingly, aren't being distributed. They make the retail shops look bad because they can't seem to make their merchandise available to the people that really want it the most. (The ones that are most apt to remember a positive or negative shopping experience, and to take that forward.) They make the collecting community look like a bunch of petty, irritating, dorks who have nothing better to do than whine about toys. When in reality, most of us have plenty (seriously!) of other things to do -- which is why we tend to lean on this form of simple and harmless recreation as a kind of release and escape from that stress.

The constant threat of being "scalped" does not make for a fun hobby. That's the real issue, and above all else, that's why most of us around here will continue to complain about, and in my case, hassle scalpers when I see them in stores.

The chucklehead with the eBay scalper coupon thing (who I reported for violating eBay policy) can :kiss: my plastic a**.

I actually agree with you on everything you wrote. I am a onesy, twosey kind of guy if and when I sell something and I don't feel as though I should be slammed or labeled a scalper for doing that. If I did hoard these items, that's one thing, but I don't.

You know what's really funny though, there are several of the real guilty parties of this "scalping game" on the right side of this screen as I type this, but I guess we can't talk about them because they are paying customers. :classic:

stillakid
05-14-2005, 01:26 PM
That was a really nice speech and I'm sure that 99% of your purchasing is for your own personal collection. However, this:

So, it's not about making money for me to sell something, but to quote JON9000, " But if a few of my figures catch high prices maybe it will offset the bath I will take on everything else."

indicates that maybe 1% (I'm obviously guessing at these percentages and giving you the benefit of the doubt) of what you DO do is scalping. Period. Trying to recoup cash from your other purchases by jacking up the price on some "rare" or "much wanted" item is scalping whether your do it once or a hundred times. If I lived out my life perfectly but murdered just one guy, I'd still be guilty of being a murderer. Trying to justify the behavior in some way doesn't make the label vanish. The long and short of it is why should otherwise honest collectors have to fork cash over to you to help you refill your bank account because of your other collecting habits? It's not fair to them. If you decide to overpay on something else for your own collection as the buyer, that's your problem. But starting the game of telephone by passing your own loss onto somebody else isn't defined by anything but the word unfair. Go ahead and do it if it makes you feel better. :) But don't pretend that this is just the way it's done and everybody can go home happy about it. That kind of thing just feeds the scalping beast so that all honest collectors begin to get more discouraged every day.

Tonysmo
05-15-2005, 03:20 AM
This bickering is pointless. Stillakid will provide us with the true definition of the Scalper by the time this station is operational. We will then crush them all with one swift stroke. :eek:

ahh you guys.. lighten up :classic:

Bighead. so nice of you to join us.. 2003? 1st discussion? cmon dude,. I dont post A WHOLE LOT.. but you didnt find ANYTHING interesting enough up until now?

anyhow. not sure everyone is piping in here, but I think there is a bit of a slight split in how SSG feels about scalpers..

You have your hard cores.. Scalping is wrong. period. no justification for it. nothing you can do or say. you scalp, you suck.

and the not-so-hard-core... I dont agree with scalping, as in, Ill not buy all ten of these clone troopers to throw 9 on ebay.. but I may buy an extra to recoup some costs from this one..

I had this discussion a few years back, during the CII phase. Alot of the guys may ( may not ) remember, and a few crossed me off the christmas list. :D

but.. Thats ok. Ill live, they will live.. the guy in Japan that bought two of my Sucals is surely in plastic heaven..

I dont make it a habit,. but if I can thawrt my cost by selling off some of the hotter items at the right time.. why not.

I do like Stillas auction idea. not many people take the time to find out if he was a collector or not. I once met a collector who bought a scope from me off Ebay.. prefect size for his Fett suit. so that would be a neat idea if people would live up to it.

but.. regardless if Im a scalper, an evildoer, a nogooder..

so be it..

I personally have found all of Big5s posts to be okay and within my own guidelines of the "but Im NOT a scalper dammit" rules. He doesnt seem to be one who over does it. He isnt buying cases and reselling them or anything.
but, for those cut-throat hard cores. once is too much.

As for the auction itself.. friggin lame. seems someone got called out... had his feelings hurt in a different thread and this is his backlash. :rolleyes: