PDA

View Full Version : We've got Sandcrawler!...

moulman
05-11-2005, 09:09 PM
Well, not exactly. Just searched sw legos on amazon and I found this:

Sandcrawler (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0009GIBO2/qid=1115860356/sr=1-29/ref=sr_1_29/104-5551898-0018327?v=glance&s=toys)

And I believe maybe a rerelease of the Star Destoryer?:

Star Destroyer (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0009F3DXM/qid=1115860496/sr=1-28/ref=sr_1_28/104-5551898-0018327?v=glance&s=toys)

LusiferSam
05-12-2005, 02:16 AM
And I believe maybe a rerelease of the Star Destoryer?
Can't be a re-release because Lego still list the ISD for sale. I'm still waiting for descant pictures of the Sandcrawler, too bad Amazon doesn't have any yet.

Mandalorian Candidat
05-13-2005, 07:10 PM
Ugh. $130+ for this set? I was hoping for something along the lines of $80. Anyone know for sure if this is a UCS set or a minifig scale set (like Cloud City)? I thought I saw pix somewhere (fbtb.net?) of it with some minifigs.

For that price there better be several jawas and some new droids. Not just another C-3PO and red R2-D2 (sorry, that's not R5-D4 in my book).

moulman
05-14-2005, 09:37 PM
They took it off TRU/amazon.com; but when they did have it on there, I put the item in my cart, and it came up as an "educational toy". Maybe its a Duplo set?

Ji'dai
05-15-2005, 02:00 AM
The Sandcrawler could be a Mindstorms set similar to the Dark Side Developer. I didn't buy that one, but the primary model was an AT-AT that I think could walk [or at least shuffle ;)]. This new Sandcrawler could be motorized with remote control. But it sounds like a UCS set.

The "LEGO Education" moniker is probably new marketing juju designed to emphasize the educational value of construction toys. It will likely encompass all product lines from preschool to adult. LEGO does have an educational line called Dacta that has sets designed for classroom projects. Lots of cool elements in those sets, lemme tell ya.

Ji'dai
06-03-2005, 10:05 AM
SirSteve posted a news item about the Sandcrawler. It debuts on LEGO Shop@Home for pre-order on June 15. The set has a whopping 1,669 pieces, but it's a System/ mini-fig scale set! The scaling looks about right for a fairly accurate 'purchase of the droids' scene. Only three Jawas though. Like the Snowtroopers, it looks like Jawas will be too expensive to army build.

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/news/uploads/31501_normal.jpg

The LEGO Sandcrawler consists of 1,669 pieces, and features the introduction of the LEGO Jawa figure -- three in fact. Other figures include Owen Lars, R2-D2, C-3PO, R5-D4, ASP droid, gonk droid, Treadwell droid, and R1-G4.

aceguide
06-03-2005, 11:44 AM
This set looks great. It is a very nice scale and comes with a lot of figs. Is it pretty well confirmed that it will cost $130? Having now seen it I would say it should be worht the proce, but it just put a year-long dent in my lego purchase budget...

Mandalorian Candidat
06-03-2005, 01:50 PM
Hot damn! That set looks suh-weeeet! I'm hopped up to get this one but I'll probably end up waiting until the price drops or they show up on ebay for cheaper than S@H. I'm so glad that it's going to be a minifig set and not a UCS type. Those pix from the box make it look like this will be a nice set like the MF2. So what all does it do? Moveable rear treads, opening hatch, driver cockpit, and the removable droid room.

For what we're having to pay for it I wish they would have done a better job on the minifigs. The Republic Gunship had four clones, so why not give 4 Jawas? Even though we probably all have multiples of C-3PO and R2, Lego still had to put them in this set. The red R2 (not R5-D4) is another ubiquitous minifig, but it would be nice to have them make a more realistic head piece. The R1 droid is just blocks and the treadwell also appears to be made from the same. What is the ASP droid? Is it the one from the ANH SE that bashes in that imperial spybot? Bet that one's like a EV-9D9 wannabe. The Uncle Owen minifig isn't a big deal in that you can use Ben or Dooku head and hair pieces to make one with a Jedi robe torso.

Anyways, this is a good signal that Lego is trying to cater to the OT fans by giving us these monster sets.

Slicker
06-03-2005, 04:08 PM
Pretty nice. I like the look of the Sandcrawler and it'll be nice to see a brand new OT LEGO set sitting on the shelves instead of the perpetual dust warming Millenium Falcon that TRU refuses to put on sale.

EDIT: Here's a picture of the back of the box that I found.

JediTricks
06-03-2005, 07:30 PM
I think it looks really neat, even if the Jawas are a little on the simplistic side - hey, at least we get more brown Jedi hoods though. I like that they paid a lot of attention to play value and a real interior, that's something every large set could use more of. I wish the cockpit windows weren't a facade, I understand they did it for the right look considering the scale, but that may need some rebuilding for fun factor. The one feature I don't see represented is the tube that sucks R2 into the vehicle, I guess the crane is supposed to double for that. I really hope they do something better with R5-D4 than what's in the picture. All in all though, this looks like a nifty, fun set.

Kidhuman
06-04-2005, 12:49 AM
Man its expensive, nice set, but alot of cash, especially with all else out there.

DarthQuack
06-05-2005, 08:18 PM
KH, bet you can't wait to put this on layaway right? :D

Ji'dai
06-06-2005, 12:02 AM
Layaway may not be an option. If the Sandcrawler does retail for $130, that price will definitely affect it's retail availability. Many retailers won't carry such an expensive set since they can't move 'em at that price.

My local TRU & Super Wal-Mart don't carry sets priced above $100. The Super K-Mart no longer sells sets above $30-40. The last sets KM carried in the $100 price range were the UCS TIE Interceptor and the 7190 Falcon, both released in 2000.

This set may end up being available only from online stores or through LEGO Shop@Home. Might see it on sale for 20-30% off, but unless you live in a large market with stores that stock expensive sets, we probably won't get away with a cheap in-store clearance buy on this one like we do other sets.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-06-2005, 06:11 PM
I was under the belief that this would definitely be a S@H set due to the cost. I'm hoping that it'll be available at retail, though. The release timing is about the same as the MF last year (presale around the beginning of the summer--on the shelves in August), so seeing it on the shelves would be nice. This would translate into a higher chance of more of these showing up on ebay for a potentially cheaper price. That's how I ended up getting my Cloud City set for about $55.

LusiferSam
06-06-2005, 08:48 PM
Every time I try to post to this thread something happens. So here I go again.

At 1,669 pieces this has got to be the biggest System set to date. I really like what of the interior details I can thus far. The way that middle section lifts out looks pretty cool. I can't wait to see what other minor little details Lego has included. Like JT I was really hoping of the vacuum/elevator tube.

I like most of the droids. R2, 3PO, and the power droid we've had before, but I'd welcome another power droid (not that they are hard to make) and you can't have the sandcrawler without R2 and C-3PO. I like the looks of R1-G4 and the Treadwell droid. As for R5-D4, I'm fine with how Lego is doing this one. And I'd really rather have the Death Star Droid than the ASP droid.

I think my opinion of the Owen minifigure is well known at this point. He'll have to be fixed. As for the Jawas, I hate the way they're being done. They look like little Jedi. The capes are totally out of place, I personally won't use them. I'm not a fan of the short legs. And the hoods, yuck. I think the old farmer's cowls (http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=x79) would work better than the Jedi hoods. Because I got about 4 or 5 extra I might just replace them. But I'll have to want and see.

JediTricks
06-06-2005, 10:38 PM
With a set number like 10144, I think we can assume this will be a Shop-at-Home exclusive, or possibly a shared exclusive with a major retailer (TRU is always the most likely, they get the most Lego shared exclusives probably because they dedicate the most shelf space to Lego, stupid WM has whittled Lego down to almost nothing by comparison and deserves no consideration IMO). I am lucky enough that should I decide to buy this set, and I am certainly considering it, I can (hopefully) just wander down to the local mall and buy it at the Lego store.

LS, great call on the Farmers Cowl for the Jawas, unfortunately their molds haven't been used since '02 and before that '97, so it's a fairly rare piece. For most minifigs that wear cloaks in the movies but capes as Lego, I try to double up the cape so it surrounds them on both sides, it looks much better usually. With these, they're too short to do that (the capes are strong material, 2 of 'em would almost certainly stand a shorty like this upright) so I think I'll have to fold them in on themselves or something. I definitely agree that a Death Star Droid would have been cooler than the "not in the scene" ASP droid, but I'll take what I can get.

LusiferSam
06-07-2005, 02:48 PM
LS, great call on the Farmers Cowl for the Jawas, unfortunately their molds haven't been used since '02 and before that '97, so it's a fairly rare piece. For most minifigs that wear cloaks in the movies but capes as Lego, I try to double up the cape so it surrounds them on both sides, it looks much better usually. With these, they're too short to do that (the capes are strong material, 2 of 'em would almost certainly stand a shorty like this upright) so I think I'll have to fold them in on themselves or something.
The farmer's cowls aren't prefect, but I think shape wise they would be better. But I remembered something last night, you really can't swap the Jedi hoods out for cowls because of the [censored] color change. (If any of you bright folks at Lego are reading this, this is why changing the old colors to fit the new ones is [censored for a couple of lines] bad idea.) All of the cowls ever made are brown, where as the Jawas will be reddish brown.

JT I think your Jawas will look too fat with two capes. You'll need a rubber band or sting to tie them down. I assume this is the look (http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=983546) your going for.

Ji'dai
06-07-2005, 03:40 PM
LS, great call on the Farmers Cowl for the Jawas, unfortunately their molds haven't been used since '02 and before that '97, so it's a fairly rare piece.

Oh yeah, those farmer's cowls do look better than the Jedi hood. I always thought if I customized my own Jawas I'd fashion a cloak similar to the old Kenner Jawa figure, with the hood and cloak a one piece outfit. That is, if I could sew and stuff.

The '02 set where the cowl last appeared was 1381 Vampire's Crypt from the "Studios" make-a-movie theme. I've seen that set at KayBee as recently as last year, but nearly all the KBs in this area are long gone now. Though they still might be languishing on shelves in other areas.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-07-2005, 08:00 PM
Damn, good call. Those cowls seem truer to their movie appearance.

Funny you should mention the Vampire's Crypt, JiDai. My son found one earlier this year at a Shopko. We stashed it cause it was still $20 and your post just reminded me that we had it on "layaway."

LusiferSam
06-08-2005, 02:01 AM
There were two sets in '02 that had the brown farmer's cowl. The Vampire's Crypt (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/1381) (for those that aren't familiar with the set) and a S@H exclusive, Castle Accessories (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/10066). A bit of a mixed bag for Castle accessories, with some good stuff (like the farmer's cowl) and some bad stuff (like the green ninja hood).

Ji'dai
06-16-2005, 12:20 PM
The Sandcrawler is available from LEGO Shop@Home, $139.99 plus shipping. There are some pics with different views of the 'crawler that show off some of the features. I guess the crane takes the place of the suction tube. The rear treads can also be steered using a wheel on the back of the vehicle.

Also note that introductory pricing on the Death Star II expires June 30. You can get it now for $269 through June; regular price is $299. Big savings ;)

JediTricks
06-17-2005, 04:14 AM
The rear treads seem to turn independently though, like a car, rather than both being connected to a central plate which turns them as a single unit (the way the Action Fleet version does).

BanthaPoodoo
06-20-2005, 05:09 PM
http://shop.lego.com/product.asp?p=10144&cn=22&d=7&t=3

Has a nice zoomable section where you can get real close up!! Sweet looking set!

Mandalorian Candidat
06-25-2005, 01:16 AM
fbtb.net has a nice lengthy review on the set. The webmaster over there says he and some other lego fans had direct imput into designing the set. Sounds like they pushed for a Luke and Beru minifig too. I don't care about the Luke that much since he's in the Landspeeder and MEC sets (well, MF1 too for those who could afford it), but it would be nice to get a Beru fig. What's the deal with Lego and female SW minifigs? Why just two out of the whole prequels?

JediTricks
06-26-2005, 06:48 PM
Creation of wig costs, I suppose, they use a generic wig for most of the male characters so they don't need to make new wigs for each, but since there are so few action-oriented women in the saga, they only made the Leia wig for the original Falcon, and the Padme wig for the Mos Espa Podrace set (Leia Slave with the Jabba's Palace set used a standard ponytale wig). This also ties into the play-factor issue, their core audience is kids and they rightly don't think kids will have fun playing with a Beru figure or a Queen Amidala figure who does nothing exciting in the movies.

That review looks pretty slick, I'm still trying to figure out how to get the scratch together for one of these and then find a place to put it.

mastermatt24
06-28-2005, 02:45 AM
I dont think ill be getting it.. kinda expesive and not much fun like an at at or a blockade runner. :neutral: