PDA

View Full Version : The Official Star Wars Masks & Helmets Thread

Jayspawn
05-11-2005, 11:51 PM
We had one of these threads a long time ago. But with the arrival of NEW Helmets and Masks coming out this year from various companies -its time to restart it!

So here's the place to chat about great helmets and masks from Rubies, Altmann's, Master Replicas, Riddel, mystery, and the good ol' Don Post.

And what better way to start with current events! Today I recieved my Supreme Edition Darth Vader Helmet from Rubies in the mail. I ordered it at Celebration III. The Rubies employees were very nice and friendly. I couldnt take it home with me on the plane -so they offered to ship it home to me for FREE! That sealed the deal! But I got to say, its frikin' amazing! Its about 1:1 scale and made of strong plastic, and holds together with some super strong velcro. Its also nicely padded on the inside and has some good straps to fit someones head. Now I'd never wear it because I'm too short (as most people are) to play Vader. But its a great collectible!

DarkJedi1981
05-13-2005, 12:34 PM
I'm pretty excited about the MR stuff being released in the summer, it should prove to be some of the best ones out there and with a number of helmets available from the Star Wars Universe the line shouldn't die too quickly. Also, let's not forget that Gentle Giant is coming out with their Armory Collection later this year maybe early next which will supply us with new Mini Helmets on specialized bases. Now if only MR would make .45 Helmets I'd be happy!

stillakid
05-13-2005, 04:21 PM
I've been the proud owner of two Don Post Deluxe helmets for a while. I have the Vader Deluxe #600 and Scout Trooper Deluxe #2. I came dangerously close to clicking on the order button when the Rubies Vader costume was up on Starwars.com for $999.00. But I didn't do it right away and now it isn't available for order anymore. Who knew they'd get swamped with that much interest?

But anyway, it'll be interesting to see what comes out this year. Maybe something to add to the collection. :)

Jayspawn
05-16-2005, 02:22 AM
Those are great helmets stillakid. I'm proud of my new addition as well. It would be great if Rubies made more Supreme Edition Helmets. I'm gonna try and get a few pictures up my new Supreme Edition Vader helmet.

That Supreme Vader costume went pretty fast stillakid. I'd really like to see one in person -see how Rubies better quality turned out.

nomad
05-24-2005, 02:13 AM
Does anyone know how good those Supreme Edition Vader costumes are?
I'm curious about the actual quality of the different parts... never before have I seen the entire Vader collection for sale in one package.

May the force be with you.

Jayspawn
05-24-2005, 09:34 AM
You know, I believe I saw the Supreme Edition Vader costume at Celebration III. They (Rubies) had a life sized Vader at at their booth. I thought it was just for display -but I think that was actually the Supreme Edition Vader costume. If it was it looked good! I suppose you just have to be tall enough to wear it and make it look good yourself.

Anakins_Shadow
05-24-2005, 03:23 PM
Can someone post which helmets each company are bringing out? Id love to add a helmet to my collection, it would be a great high end collectible which would aid in helping my collection stand out a bit, in a large crowd of collectors.

Jayspawn
05-25-2005, 10:16 AM
Welcome to the boards Anakins Shadow!

Rubies and Master Replicas are the primary Star Wars Helmets makers now.

Master Replicas has several Clone Trooper Helmets from Episode III in the works. Including the basic white Trooper, Blue Special Oops Trooper and a Red Shock Trooper helmet that I saw at Celebration III. They also have a large fiberglass Darth Vader Helmet in the works now that'll be out later in the year. They also had a Stormtrooper prototype helmet on display at CIII also.

Rubies has a 'Supreme Edition Darth Vader Helmet' out now. It costs about $100 and is made of plastic, but its very nice! I have this one. I'm making a display stand for it now.

Anakins_Shadow
05-25-2005, 12:28 PM
Welcome to the boards Anakins Shadow!

Rubies and Master Replicas are the primary Star Wars Helmets makers now.

Master Replicas has several Clone Trooper Helmets from Episode III in the works. Including the basic white Trooper, Blue Special Oops Trooper and a Red Shock Trooper helmet that I saw at Celebration III. They also have a large fiberglass Darth Vader Helmet in the works now that'll be out later in the year. They also had a Stormtrooper prototype helmet on display at CIII also.

Rubies has a 'Supreme Edition Darth Vader Helmet' out now. It costs about $100 and is made of plastic, but its very nice! I have this one. I'm making a display stand for it now.

Thnks for the welcome! Im on a few boards under the Name JabbaPeconi, joined here as i felt it was a more "mature" crowd, seems to be so already.

Anyway, back on topic, How much are the MR Clone helmets? Are the Blue Special Ops ones released yet? Im assumung the helms from them are pricey due to the fact that they come from MR. Im pondering the idea of getting one as a main focus for a shelf. It is unfortunate that MR has such a large price tag, it hinders them from getting thier product to more collectors.

Jayspawn
05-25-2005, 01:06 PM
Master Replicas has the white Clone Helmet for sale on their site. Several other etailers have them for preorder now -which I think is the way to go. They run around $350 more or less.

Any good helmet you get is a great display piece.

Anakins_Shadow
05-26-2005, 12:27 AM
What is ur opinion on Riddel Helmets? 300 is alot for me, especially since its in US dollars prbly too :P

I can get a Riddell Vader Helm for 50 US, dunno about the quality of it tho, and how "replica ish" it is.

Jayspawn
05-26-2005, 12:39 AM
The Riddell helmets are pretty cool. They're 'sort of' replicas. I have the C-3PO helmet myself, its very cool! I should have the rest coming in the next few months. The others are very nice looking and have good details inside and out. They're worth picking up but not worth a hassle tracking down unless you like.

I've been looking for a 1:1 scale C-3PO helmet/mask but have been VERY hard to find. I found one on Ebay some months ago -which went for quite a bit $.

JediTricks
05-26-2005, 02:03 AM
You're talking about the Riddell mini-helmets, right? I love these things, I got them all after they came out and went on clearance, though I received Vader's as a full-priced gift (I was there when it was bought, pricey!). I can't believe they've gone so high, but they are VERY nice I feel, I have all 5 of them on display here in my house in prominent places, I consider them the nicest SW collectibles I own. Except for the dent on my Fett helmet being painted slightly out of place (barely noticable) these are pretty perfect, and their size makes it easier to display than a full-size.

BTW, 3PO technically is more than a "head", as the very top of his collar is part of the mini-helmet's neck.

dr_evazan22
05-26-2005, 09:56 AM
Stilla - Are both of your helmets wearable? Vader's comes apart in pieces? Does the Scout visor go up/down? Any detailing on the inside?

Anakins_Shadow
05-26-2005, 01:02 PM
You're talking about the Riddell mini-helmets, right? I love these things, I got them all after they came out and went on clearance, though I received Vader's as a full-priced gift (I was there when it was bought, pricey!). I can't believe they've gone so high, but they are VERY nice I feel, I have all 5 of them on display here in my house in prominent places, I consider them the nicest SW collectibles I own. Except for the dent on my Fett helmet being painted slightly out of place (barely noticable) these are pretty perfect, and their size makes it easier to display than a full-size.

BTW, 3PO technically is more than a "head", as the very top of his collar is part of the mini-helmet's neck.

I dont think the guy i know is selling "mini" helmets, but rather full size helms. He is sellin teh Vader for 50 US and the boba for 100 US. So i would certainly hope they are not mini helmets for that type of change, altho with MR charging 350 for a helm it may be true.
Did Riddell make botha full sixe and a mini helmet? Or just the minis ( Im jus thoping here guys :P I want a full size helm for a good price)

stillakid
05-27-2005, 12:09 AM
Stilla - Are both of your helmets wearable? Vader's comes apart in pieces? Does the Scout visor go up/down? Any detailing on the inside?

Yes, both are completely wearable. Vader's is two pieces and the Scout's visor does hinge to go up and down. There is no detailing at all on the insides but the Scout helmet has padding built in.

Vader was taken from a genuine ESB helmet . The Scout was crafted by Don Post artists.

I've always wanted a Vader Reveal helmet. Maybe with the way it plays in ROTS, somebody will make an official version. As of right now, the only way to get one is to make it or to find a customizer and pay big $$.

JediTricks
05-27-2005, 03:28 AM
Anakins_Shadow, I'm afraid those prices would be consistant with the Riddell mini-helmets which sold in the $75-90 range, then went to clearance, and now are back up due to their quality and high reviews, and I have done a large search and cannot find any info on Riddell Star Wars helmets in full-size, only .45 scale. Here's some details on these mini helmets from our late friend Marilyn's site: http://r2toyforce.net/riddell.htm

Anakins_Shadow
05-27-2005, 01:13 PM
Anakins_Shadow, I'm afraid those prices would be consistant with the Riddell mini-helmets which sold in the $75-90 range, then went to clearance, and now are back up due to their quality and high reviews, and I have done a large search and cannot find any info on Riddell Star Wars helmets in full-size, only .45 scale. Here's some details on these mini helmets from our late friend Marilyn's site: http://r2toyforce.net/riddell.htm

I still cant get an idea of SCALE of how big they would be on my shelf. I mean if i had my head on a swivel base i can get an idea, but im assuming a helmet would be bigger then my head. So is there any comparison pics? Or can someone take a comparison pic of a riddel helmet to/ besidea MR helm or a full size helmet? Id REALLY appreciate it, as it would help me see if i wanted to get a full set of minis or one full size helmet.

stillakid
05-27-2005, 02:15 PM
I still cant get an idea of SCALE of how big they would be on my shelf. I mean if i had my head on a swivel base i can get an idea, but im assuming a helmet would be bigger then my head. So is there any comparison pics? Or can someone take a comparison pic of a riddel helmet to/ besidea MR helm or a full size helmet? Id REALLY appreciate it, as it would help me see if i wanted to get a full set of minis or one full size helmet.

I'll try to get a pic up later, but these Ridell things aren't big at all. I have the Vader and it's no bigger than a fist and a half. The prices I'm seeing posted are pretty outrageous for what you get. I don't remember what I paid for Vader, but I'd never dish out more than $20 bucks for these. They're not that good. If there's one character you're interested in more than the others, I'd get the large helmet. But if you want the variety and don't mind the size (or overpaying), then go with the minis. :)

Anakins_Shadow
05-30-2005, 07:02 PM
Anyone got a pic of the 501st MR helmet yet?

Bobbyg714
05-31-2005, 09:08 AM
Jayspawn,

How are you. Any idea on a release date for the MR Vader helmet. I am seriously considering adding this one to my collection.

Jayspawn
05-31-2005, 10:54 AM
Doing well Bobbyg714. Staying busy. The Master Replicas Vader Helmet wont be out until late this year/early next. The prototype I saw at Celebration III was impressive -most impressive.

Pictures of the actual Clone Trooper Helmets that MR is doing have not surfaced yet. But they should be ready in the next few months. The helmets were on display at CIII, and looked great! They stands they come with are nice too.

Anakins_Shadow
05-31-2005, 05:22 PM
Any pics of the ones at C3 then? Im antsy to see if i want this piece.

Jayspawn
06-01-2005, 10:15 AM
Heres a couple of pics from Celebration III...

Special Oops Clone Helmet (Blue) (http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=11642&cat=3076)

Shock Clone Trooper (Red) (http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=11643&cat=3076)

Stormtrooper Prototype Helmet (http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=11643&cat=3076)

They will also be doing a White Clone Trooper Helmet as well.

Anakins_Shadow
06-01-2005, 12:22 PM
Wow! Very nice pieces i must say, the paint app looks amazing and the detailing looks to be very well done.

Thnks Jayspawn!

dr_evazan22
06-02-2005, 02:15 AM
I've always wanted a Vader Reveal helmet. Maybe with the way it plays in ROTS, somebody will make an official version. As of right now, the only way to get one is to make it or to find a customizer and pay big $$.

Thx.

There was the Illusive Concepts (or Illusive Originals) Vader Reveal from the mid 90's that was life size. I've always assumed it could be worn as well.

MSCollections
06-06-2005, 11:17 PM
The Master Replicas Vader Helmet wont be out until late this year/early next. The prototype I saw at Celebration III was impressive -most impressive.

Pictures of the actual Clone Trooper Helmets that MR is doing have not surfaced yet. But they should be ready in the next few months. The helmets were on display at CIII, and looked great! They stands they come with are nice too.

Hello Jayspawn,

Are those helmets of the Clone Troopers wearable? How about that Vader helmet coming out late this year/early next year? Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks man!

MSCollections

Jayspawn
06-07-2005, 12:58 AM
Hello MSCollections. The helmets (Clones, Vader) seem to be wearable. When I saw them they were on collectible display stands. I believe the Vader helmet is. Its an expensive wearable helmet but I've seen pics somewhere of somebody trying it on. If the Clone helmets are not, you could always modify them if you want to wear them.

drfunkyv
06-11-2005, 01:29 PM
For those of you that have the Supreme Edition Rubies and may have seen Master Replicas version at CIII, what do you think about the huge price difference? I'd like to get a helmet and knowing Replicas quality, I'd like to get their ver... however for a difference of nearly $700 when I'm just gonna display it next to my MR FX Vader Saber... is it really worth it?

Jayspawn
06-11-2005, 06:33 PM
I own the new Supreme Edition Vader helmet from Rubies -and its incredible! Well worth the price! Yes theres about a $700 difference, and for that difference I'm perfectly happy with the Rubies helmet. The detail and scale is right on -its a really GOOD Vader helmet.

It'll look good next to your Lightsaber drfunkyv.

drfunkyv
06-11-2005, 08:25 PM
Thanks for your thoughts Jayspawn. After further consideration, I can actually get an entire costume for the cost of one MR Vader helmet... just can't justify the cost of the MR one...

echo5
07-11-2005, 06:41 PM
For those of you who are members of MR's Collector's Society, I guess you saw today's e-mail newsletter announcing the unveiling of Darth Vader's helmet (ROTS version) at the San Diego Comic Con this weekend.

Anyone going? I wouldn't mind seeing photos. I'm not really sure how different the helmet is from the original trilogy, but I hear that it is.

Jayspawn
07-11-2005, 09:49 PM
I wish I was going so I could go to the CS Party.

Anyway its slightly different from the Original Trilogy helmet. For instance, Vader's helmet in ANH has a widdow's peak on the dome and a flat finish on the mask.

Jayspawn
08-23-2005, 12:55 PM
I got the picture-thing figured out and thought I'd share a few pics with you guys...

This is a Boba Fett Helmet I've been working on over the last year. Still a lot of work left to do. I have to customize the range finder and ear pieces and install the t-visor. Still more wethering and battle damage to do also. But so far I'm pleased with the results....

Markimus
08-25-2005, 07:22 PM
Did anyone order their Vader Helmet ? Seems like its going to be a really good looking collectible.

kingyeti
08-25-2005, 08:39 PM
i got mine.order was placed at 9:05 pst.i ordered one duel sig and one regular.too bad we have to wait until december.the anticipation starts all over again.i hope i get a low number.

stillakid
08-25-2005, 09:23 PM
Did anyone order their Vader Helmet ? Seems like its going to be a really good looking collectible.

After looking at it, I've decided to pass on this one and wait with eager anticipation for the Vader Reveal. :love:

Markimus
08-25-2005, 10:03 PM
I ordered mine too. It is a long time to have to wait to see it... Don't know how the numbering works.. guess it doesn't really matter as long as you get one.

kingyeti
08-25-2005, 10:36 PM
will there be a vader reveal???if so,when?

Darth_Brad
08-26-2005, 12:09 AM
I got a Dual Sig. I figured something would talk me out of it during the last couple weeks...but no. :)

Jayspawn
08-26-2005, 10:08 AM
Welcome to the boards Darth Brad!

Both helmets are still on the site. I decided not to get the Duel Signature Edition, but the fact that its still there is tempting again. Did everyone use their coupon?

Darth_Brad
08-26-2005, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the welcome, Jayspawn. I really appriciate it. :)

I used my SS coupon. After shiping it brought the total to $1,468.95. What a life-saver. :sad:

Markimus
08-26-2005, 01:07 PM
I also used my coupon... and got the same savings on the dual signature! I think this is going to be an awesome Helmet. I have nothing else with signatures so it was kind of an easy decision for me.. Its a nice bridge between the Old movies and the new with James and Haydens sigs...how many other items will have that ???
If you are going to spend $900 why not $1400... plus, I'm thinking the signature one will hold its value better than the non. At least that seems to be the trend with identical items (like MR lightsabers). Not that I would ever sell mine.... I still have stuff from the 70s that I will never sell !

Darth_Brad
08-26-2005, 01:14 PM
If you are going to spend $900 why not $1400... plus, I'm thinking the signature one will hold its value better than the non.

Heh yeah, that is what got me. :pleased:
But I feel the same way about it. Excellent bridge and just an awesome piece. I too expect it to hold it's value.

Now I am just waiting for it to sell out. :( I was hoping it to be a same day deal...

Jayspawn
09-21-2005, 06:15 PM
Heres a few pictures of the Stormtrooper Helmet I made...

Jayspawn
09-28-2005, 11:43 AM
These are some interesting little helmets fom overseas, looks like they're made by Tomy. They are 1:6th scale mini helmets which include Darth vader, Stormtrooper, TIE Figuter Pilot, Luke's X-Wing Pilot, C-3PO and Rebel Fleet Trooper. They come in blind packaging which means you dont know which one you're going to get (I hate that).

Anyways, Toynk.com has them instick for $4.99 each

http://www.toynk.com/catalog/star_wars_helmet_collection_single_box_4564053.htm

kingyeti
09-28-2005, 09:35 PM
yeah because you know somehow you'll always end up with a JarJarBinks or something.or 10 of the same thing.

Jayspawn
09-28-2005, 11:03 PM
At least the choices are cool. There is a chase helmet of Anakin's Pod Racer helmet. It would be nice if you could order just a complete set and have 1 of each.

kingyeti
09-29-2005, 12:49 PM
maybe its possible to order the set.at 4.99 though it seems as though they may be like cereal box toys.

Jayspawn
09-30-2005, 10:51 AM
I bet they're nicer than that, but I'd like to actually see one in person before I'd order one.

Jayspawn
10-05-2005, 04:37 PM
Today I recieved in the mail an old Don Post Emperor's Royal Guard helmet. I'm gonna be fixing this one up also in the next few months. Its gonna need a big fixer-upper, so that'lll be a fun project.

Jedi_Mike
10-07-2005, 10:56 PM
I thought I'd share this information with my SSG forum mates this is a quote from "IrishJedi" over on Rebelscum:

I'm working on an article on high-end genre collectibles. I am in San Francisco right now (covering the EP3 DVD press junket as well as Battlefront II) and Master Replicas was kind enough to give me a tour of their headquarters and interviews with several key personnel.

First of all, I was disappointed that I didn't get to meet Amy. Apparently, she left for the day by the time I was done with my first interview. Maybe next time.

Anyway, I of course learned and saw lots of cool stuff (most of which I can't share yet for obvious reasons).

But this I can share now...

Saw (and held) the prototype for the Darth Maul FX saber(s). All I can say is "WOW!" and that you will not be disappointed. In fact, this will easily be the best FX product MR has produced yet and may in fact become one of the best SW products they'll have on the market.

The Vader helmet is indeed VERY impressive in person. I was able to hold it and even try it on (it fit me!). Very impressed with the thickness of the fiberglass and the quality of the overall piece. I may break down and order one now.

2006 & 2007 are going to be EXTREMELY expensive for MR collectors.

The "Rocketeer" helmet absolutely rules. They're thinking of producing a Jetpack as well.

The "Narnia" stuff is simply fantastic.

MR is indeed moving beyond just lightsabers for SW minis, though don't necessarily assume .45 scale. That's ALL I can say on the matter. What I saw looks VERY promising, though.

More helmets than just Vader, Stormtrooper and the already announced Clones are in the works. Can't say more, but will offer this hint: The WEATHER was fantastic today!

Needless to say I'm beyond excited and eagerly awaiting the announcement in October about MR's upcoming 2006 lineup!

Jayspawn
10-13-2005, 05:47 PM
Heres a few pictures of the Royal Guard Helmet I'm working on now. Its in the shop and just got a coat of paint today...

Jedi_Mike
11-04-2005, 10:37 PM
Another source that claims to be in the know with MR has posted on another set of boards that next year's helmet offerings will include Commander Cody, AOTC Clone Pilot, Sandtrooper, Stormtrooper and Commander Bly. Should be interesting to see if they're right or not...

Markimus
11-14-2005, 06:12 PM
Come on Jedi Mike... you were there... you saw stuff... let us know. Are they right ? Are they close to right?

Jayspawn
12-26-2005, 09:54 AM
This popped up in another thread, but to update this one.

Master Replicas has announced they they will me releasing Limited Edition ANH Stormtrooper and ESB Boba Fett Helmets this next year in 2006!

The Clone Helmets are already impressive as hell, so I cant wait to see these! Especially the Boba helmet. The weathering on his helmet should be impressive. I saw the Stormtrooper helmet ptorotype at Celebration III, and even that was a sight!

Jayspawn
12-26-2005, 09:56 AM
In other news, I've almost completed my Royal Guard helmet. I added another few coats of paint and the visor last week. I just need to do some last minute trimming in spots then it'll be ready to go!

kingyeti
12-27-2005, 05:51 PM
got my star corps helmet today.most impressive.can't wait for the Vader .

Jayspawn
01-13-2006, 11:49 AM
You know what I think would be an awesome mask for MR to do: General Grevious' Mask! how cool would that be??? Minus the guts it would look awesome!

kingyeti
01-14-2006, 11:17 AM
that would be awesome. i think they could pull off the guts thing. that would be even better.

Jayspawn
01-14-2006, 06:06 PM
I thought about that too kingyeti, but Grevious's Mask with the guts in would look like a severed head in my collection and I dont really want a 'head'. The Mask would be the mask and thats what I want.

kingyeti
01-14-2006, 08:58 PM
your right. it would look like a severed head. just the helmet would be an awesome piece.i would definitley buy it.

JediTricks
01-15-2006, 04:36 PM
How about removable rubber head stuff?

jaxx
01-28-2006, 07:38 PM
Does anyone know which stores will be carrying the TOMY mini helmets?

Jayspawn
01-29-2006, 01:41 AM
Likely going to be stores which carry Gentle Giant merchandise like Sam Goody (since ALL Media Play and Suncoast stores are closing/closed). :(

There are random ones on Ebay now. The TOMY/GG helmets have a CHASE version which is Bigg's X-Wing helmet instead of Luke's.