PDA

View Full Version : New Dodge Charger!!!

darthvyn
05-12-2005, 11:51 AM
holy crap, does this thing look good! i think it blows away the new mustang in terms of neuretro...

http://www.allpar.com/cars/lx/dodge-charger.html

it looks awesome in black...

http://www.dodge.com/autoshow/news/charger_srt8.html

and they're offering it in police package!

http://www.allpar.com/squads/police-cars/charger.html

the squad car version features displacement on demand style technology to keep MPG's up. i wonder if the civie version will have the same. that would be a huge boost in sales, given these high-priced gas times.

too bad i probably won't be caught dead behind the wheel of another V-8 engine... this one is really calling to me. can't you just see it in a hugger orange paint job with a big "01" on the doors and the confederate flag on top?

megaprime33
05-12-2005, 11:56 AM
Do they offer it in orange, with a 01 on the doors and a confederate flag on the roof? :D

darthvyn
05-12-2005, 12:05 PM
they should... maybe i'll do a photochop job on it, and circulate it around...

JON9000
05-12-2005, 12:23 PM
This car is huge in real life. Looks like a large sized sedan rather than a sports car, kinda like the 300C.

I dig the 300C more, although it beats the crap out of the GTO.

GM forgot how to make cars and now they are dying.

darthvyn
05-12-2005, 01:50 PM
the new charger is based on the LX platform that the 300c and the magnum are built on. in fact, it's basically the sedan version of the magnum. i'm not too into the 300c, but yeah, the GTO is pretty boring. the only thing it has going for it is that it's a coupe (read: 2 door, not 4 door sedan like the new charger...)

with the new mustang hearkening back to the classic, as well as this new charger, chevy NEEDS to put out a new camaro!

http://popularhotrodding.com/features/0409phr_camaro_01_z.jpg

the whole story here...

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/0409phr_camaro/

megaprime33
05-12-2005, 02:18 PM
Wow that camero is pretty sweet too. One of my new car favorites is the Ford GT. Now that is sweet.

http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/ford_gt.asp

darthvyn
05-12-2005, 02:58 PM
that camaro is just a computer rendering concept, but i'd wager a guess that the final product will be a closely themed, albeit toned down version. as long as it has that wide-open grill and flared rear fender humps, i'm all for it.

stillakid
05-12-2005, 04:36 PM
The Camaro looks sweet...but it's still a domestic.

When the money comes in, this is the ticket:

http://www.italiaspeed.com/2004/cars/ferrari/08/f430_official/images.html :cool:

darthvyn
05-12-2005, 05:52 PM
personally, if we're going supercar...

cadillac cien (http://www.seriouswheels.com/top-Cadillac-Cien-Concept.htm)

of course, that's just a concept car... for something that actually is for sale, i'd go with the

cadillac xlr-v (http://www.autoweb.com/content/shared/articles/templates/index.cfm/article_id_int/447)

then again, at $80k, maybe i'll just ride a bike...

Exhaust Port
05-12-2005, 06:21 PM
The nose on the Charger seems a bit pinched and the hood is too short. The original Charger had that very long, eligant hood and a more squared off nose. The nose on the new Charger has those dips on either side of the head lights which kills a signature shape of the original IMHO.

I find it shocking that they are offering this car as a 4-door. Ugh. I don't care how much power you throw under the hood, a muscle car doesn't have 4 doors.

Ford got it right with the new Mustang:

http://www.mustangphotos.com/photopost/data/514/1gt500_22-med.jpg
http://www.mustangphotos.com/photopost/data/514/1gt500_20-med.jpg

This new styling has classic Mustang all over it. Even without the name plate you can tell it's a Mustang. Unless the new Charger was Hemi orange with a 01 on the doors I would have no idea what it was. It took Ford a few tries to get the Mustang looking right, perhaps we can see the same improvements with the Charger.

Blackened88
05-12-2005, 09:47 PM
Don't like the Charger Sedan, coupe is bleh. Like stillakid when the money rolls in i'll make sure to be getting Vettes, a GranSport Maserati and a 575M Ferrari. :D

JediTricks
05-13-2005, 02:16 AM
with the new mustang hearkening back to the classic, as well as this new charger, chevy NEEDS to put out a new camaro!Thanks for the links, that Camaro is slick, I hope they are able to get something out that looks like that, the '90s Camaro wasn't really that great IMO, this looks like a REAL muscle car, low slung, wide, angular, wide front end, and all business, no family car BS.

Wow that camero is pretty sweet too. One of my new car favorites is the Ford GT. Now that is sweet. It's pretty slick, but it's not exactly "new" ;) which is fine by me, taking the looks of one of Ford's best racecars and porting it over almost exactly was brilliant, dunno why other famous '60s cars aren't redone that way.

When the money comes in, this is the ticket:

http://www.italiaspeed.com/2004/car...ial/images.html :cool: OH! So that's what that is, I saw one on Mother's Day when I was out with my mom, it was at a small store on Pico just west of Rancho Park, it looked like a 360 Modena, but bigger and with more aggressive intakes behind the door and on the back fender, I saw the "F430" on the mirrors but didn't know anything beyond that and its "Ferrari" logo.

The nose on the Charger seems a bit pinched and the hood is too short. The original Charger had that very long, eligant hood and a more squared off nose. Totally agree, that was my first reaction as well, before I noticed the overly-round roof and sedan-like 4-doors and tiny trunk.

Ford got it right with the new Mustang:

This new styling has classic Mustang all over it. Even without the name plate you can tell it's a Mustang. Unless the new Charger was Hemi orange with a 01 on the doors I would have no idea what it was. It took Ford a few tries to get the Mustang looking right, perhaps we can see the same improvements with the Charger.I suppose you're right, but the new Mustang - which I'm seeing EVERYWHERE by the way, now the convertibles as well - doesn't do much for me because I don't really like Mustangs in general and this one seems a little too fat and round (muscle cars AREN'T round!!! :p). Still, I do agree that the new Mustang holds up much better than this "Charger", it reminds me a little of Chevy's recent new "Malibu" which is basically just a sad average mid-size econo-sedan (the "Malibu" name has been in the toilet for a while though). Hell, I don't think this Charger holds up even to the Magnum which I think looks way cooler. The coupe here looks a little better I think, but still is more a Ford Mustang II feel than a Dodge Charger (ouch, rereading that, it came off a little meaner than I wanted, I blame Daimler-Chrysler ;)).

stillakid
05-13-2005, 02:26 AM
OH! So that's what that is, I saw one on Mother's Day when I was out with my mom, it was at a small store on Pico just west of Rancho Park, it looked like a 360 Modena, but bigger and with more aggressive intakes behind the door and on the back fender, I saw the "F430" on the mirrors but didn't know anything beyond that and its "Ferrari" logo.

$220,000 puts it in your driveway. :) Unless you want the optional F1 transmission which'll set you back another $20,000. Was Michael Bay inside? :sur:

JediTricks
05-13-2005, 04:26 AM
$220,000 puts it in your driveway. :) Unless you want the optional F1 transmission which'll set you back another $20,000. Was Michael Bay inside? :sur:
No, I'm pretty sure they don't allow prostitutes in this store.

The Lamborghini Gallardo they had was a "paltry" $155k, why that's almost reasonable! :p

megaprime33
05-13-2005, 10:37 AM
I am now, and will always be a corvette fan, and I have always love the classics better than the newbies, so I can't let this post go without showing my dream car. Look upon it in awe...

http://www.rogerscorvette.com/free/ihrie.jpg

stillakid
05-13-2005, 04:12 PM
Oh, I suppose if we have to look at something more reasonable than a 2005 Ferrari, this is what I'd love to own someday:

darthvyn
05-13-2005, 07:14 PM
Oh, I suppose if we have to look at something more reasonable than a 2005 Ferrari, this is what I'd love to own someday:

HELL yeah, that's what i'm talkin' about... i love the '67. they'd better have hide-away lights on a new camaro!

however, in terms of very affordable and new, my car of choice within my budget at the time is the

Scion TC (http://scion.com/showroom/tc/gallery/index.html)

i like the way it looks, and how cheap it is. plus, it's easier on the gas than my current caprice classic.

Turbowars
05-13-2005, 08:42 PM
Chrysler is the only US company that takes chances and that's what is driving them today. I can careless about foreign cars or trucks. If I was to win the lottery, there would be nothing but classic muscle cars and nothing else. Buy American, support us not them. That's my 2 cents anyway.;)

The new Charger is very nice, but it doesn't look like the old charger. Wish they could have done better in that department. The name will probably help the sales though. I love that they are using the old style R/T on the car. Now if I could only buy a SRT10! Everyone needs 500 hp!

stillakid
05-14-2005, 12:27 AM
Buy American, support us not them.

Italians need to eat too! :D

Blackened88
05-14-2005, 01:11 PM
Forget the Viper it's all about the 2006 Corvette Z06, cheaper and better.

JediTricks
05-15-2005, 06:26 PM
Chrysler is the only US company that takes chances and that's what is driving them today. I can careless about foreign cars or trucks.... Buy American, support us not them. I can understand that, but Chrysler has been Daimler-Chrysler for 7 years, that's a US company now merged with a German company, so it's supporting "them" just as much as "us". So what to do?

BTW, I love American cars, but for everyday performance, safety, and value, I'm still impressed by Toyota from the experience we had with the 1981 Supra we owned a few years ago: it cost us next to nothing, was pretty fast and strong, saved our lives in a potentially-lethal accident, and still kept running.

darthvyn
05-15-2005, 07:12 PM
not to mention, that most of the parts that go into toyotas are manufactured in america. so it's supporting "us" as much as "them!"

i think the absolute ONLY company that is taking "chances" is cadillac. in an industry rife with neu-retro car designs, they could've given you the longest car with the largest fins on the back, but instead they created a car that looks different and better than anything else out there. the crisp clean lines and angular style of the cts, xlr, srx, and the new sts are beautiful and innovative. unlike anything else out there.

i like the idea of a new dodge charger, but at the same time, it's just the same old thing daimler-chrysler has been putting out for the past two years. a hemi wrapped in an agressive front end, with the most bland rear end i've ever seen. from the back, all daimler-chrysler cars look the same!!! i can't tell a durango from a hemi-powered jeep laredo cherokee anymore! the whole line is so homogenized, that it's getting pretty boring. the new charger looks the same as the 300m from the back! at least each different cadillac has it's own personality...

Blackened88
05-15-2005, 07:45 PM
Exactly, all the Dodges look the same with the rear to the front grills it's getting boring, all there cars and trucks can't look the same. I also think Cadillac is doing a great job with there new cars out there, they all look great.

Turbowars
05-15-2005, 08:12 PM
Hey the caddies do look nice, but they look too Pimp my ride for my taste. Just too gangsta. I wonder if they will enlarge the emblem on the Escalade again next year?:rolleyes:

I disagree about the Dodges looking the same. Sure they resemble each other is a few ways, but they have a strong bold look to them. The gross grill is a trade mark and all car companies have them. I'm partial because I own a Ram. Wish I had the SRT-10 and Viper, but I'm holding off until I can decide which to buy.

JediTricks
05-15-2005, 09:34 PM
The cross-grill isn't a particularly OLD trademark though, the Dodge Ram pickup - which I believe is what started Chrysler on their big change to rounded semi-oldfashioned look - only started having it on the '93, the first year of the Ram's rebirth, and they stole THAT whole look from the Dodge Viper RT/10 which inherited it from the concept Viper from a few years prior (the RT/10 inheritied almost everything from the concept version, which is part of what makes it such an incredibly cool car... that doesn't mean Dodge should base a portion of ALL their cars off of it though).

Turbowars
05-16-2005, 01:33 AM
The cross-grill isn't a particularly OLD trademark though, the Dodge Ram pickup - which I believe is what started Chrysler on their big change to rounded semi-oldfashioned look - only started having it on the '93, the first year of the Ram's rebirth, and they stole THAT whole look from the Dodge Viper RT/10 which inherited it from the concept Viper from a few years prior (the RT/10 inheritied almost everything from the concept version, which is part of what makes it such an incredibly cool car... that doesn't mean Dodge should base a portion of ALL their cars off of it though).Oh really? Here's a 57.

JediTricks
05-16-2005, 04:52 AM
Hmm, news to me, how many others were there?

JON9000
05-16-2005, 11:10 AM
You know Lane, I was wondering if you wouldn't mind if I asked out Beth. I heard you two are no longer dating... lol

Thanks for the links, that Camaro is slick, I hope they are able to get something out that looks like that, the '90s Camaro wasn't really that great IMO, this looks like a REAL muscle car, low slung, wide, angular, wide front end, and all business, no family car BS.
The 90's Camaro was just awful. It looked like a Geo Storm on steroids. Other than the vette, GM hasn't really put out a decent sports car in a looong time.

TheDarthVader
05-16-2005, 01:00 PM
I agree with those that said CORVETTE. I own a C4 corvette and, to answer Beck's question, that is "Where it's at." I would go with the C6 Z06. There is no better car for the money.

B.
TDV

stillakid
05-16-2005, 01:07 PM
You know Lane, I was wondering if you wouldn't mind if I asked out Beth. I heard you two are no longer dating... lol

:confused:

megaprime33
05-16-2005, 03:00 PM
I agree with those that said CORVETTE. I own a C4 corvette and, to answer Beck's question, that is "Where it's at." I would go with the C6 Z06. There is no better car for the money.

B.
TDV
You know, to be honest, I like the later model c5 better than the c6. Don't get me wrong, the c6 is definitely kick a** but I like the c5 better. Well at least it's still a corvette! lol

JediTricks
05-16-2005, 03:37 PM
Great Better Off Dead reference!!! :D

The 90's Camaro was just awful. It looked like a Geo Storm on steroids. Other than the vette, GM hasn't really put out a decent sports car in a looong time.But what about all the fine Pontiac products, including the incredible new GTO? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I think I soiled myself with laughter. :D

JON9000
05-16-2005, 04:12 PM
Great Better Off Dead reference!!! :D

But what about all the fine Pontiac products, including the incredible new GTO? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I think I soiled myself with laughter. :D

JT gets the obscurity no-prize for the day!

I've already shared my opinion that Pontiac has made nothing but various incarnations of the grand prix for the last ten years. Hoe hard is it to make a hot looking car? Everyone else seems to have at least one looker in the line-up!

JediTricks
05-16-2005, 06:01 PM
I think ever since Pontiac let the Firebird die out (I blame it on Knight Rider's cancellation ;)) they've been totally lost, and the utter disdain the public had for the Aztek was a major kick to the groin which left them dazed and bewildered and nigh-useless. That horrible excuse for a GTO and the pitiful marketing campaign for the G6 is the type of thing that makes people wonder why GM didn't retire the Pontiac name a decade ago.

JediTricks
06-17-2005, 01:06 AM
Well, I saw one of the new Chargers driving on the street Tuesday, it looked a little better than in the photos mainly because it was a little bigger than it seemed. Saw a couple today at a Dodge dealership in Glendale, one next to a matching Magnum, the Magnum's still way cooler because its lines never give up while the Charger's trunk is kinda "meh".