PDA

View Full Version : What have you bought & how do you like it?

aceguide
05-12-2005, 02:34 PM
So far the only ROTS set I have picked up is the starfighter. I like it a lot.

Now that I have a few nickles in my pocket I am looking to invest in a couple more sets. So the questions are:

What have you bought?

How do you like it?

What would you recommend?

Thanks for looking!

moulman
05-12-2005, 03:51 PM
If I had to choose 2 sets, I would say the GG chase and the ATRT. Both reasonably priced and very cool.

bobafrett
05-12-2005, 10:15 PM
Of the ROTS Lego sets, to date I have bought:

1) Vader transformation; like it for the price; easy to build;recommend it

2) Droid Tri-fighter; never a big fan of the small ship sets; recommened waiting until it drops in price; the Tri-fighter ship is pretty cool though

3) Ultimate lightsaber duel; The background on the box gives this set a little more life then what it looks like sitting against a plain white wall. I think it might look good in a diorama or such. I don't care for the sticks to move Anakin, and Obi-wan around with. I do like the parts that are designed to collapse if bumped. I do like the light up sabers, but when you are dueling with the figures at the end of a stick, you can't really press down on the heads to get the sabers to light.

The next two I have bought, but haven't had time to assemble yet.

4) Clone Scout Walker

5) ARC-170; can't wait to get this one together, but I am booked as far as time to get this one done, for at least the next two months.

Kidhuman
05-13-2005, 12:08 AM
The 2 sets I have:

Vader Table: Would recommend it. Cheap and easy to build and looks good

Droid Tri Fighter: I love this thing. I like the way it looks. It is sturdy, built nice, went together easy. Definitly recommend it.

JediTricks
05-13-2005, 02:56 AM
My thoughts... (sans Ani JSF vs Vulture Droid since you already have it)

ARC-170 - Cool set, interesting build, WIDE wingspan, geared tri-foil opening not quite as smooth as Dagobah X-wing but much better than Hasbro design, clever bomb drop gimmick, a fun vehicle that's wide but still "whooshable". Lots of nifty building tricks and Technic for wing attachments means easily-removable wings.

Clone Scout Walker aka AT-RT - Not too impressed, reminded me of the AT-ST, proportions are way off, legs are limited, build was kinda dull, only "ok".

Droid Tri-Fighter - Interesting build, never done anything quite like this before, ship looks pretty good except for gap in front of brain ball, surprisingly solid compared to expectations, clear red "eyes" are very wicked, set makes a good enemy for ARC-170. Buzz Droid is nothing to write home about, oversized and not too accurate, at least shell halves can be put together using a Technic axle. I like this set a lot, but it does depend on what you think of the movie ship's design itself.

Mandalorian Candidat
05-13-2005, 06:27 PM
Thanks for starting this thread, aceguide. I've been wanting to do one, but what are you gonna do?

DV Transformation - Put this together just last night after having it for 2 weeks. Nice little set. Nothing spectacular since many of us have a million Vaders from the great Final Duel roundup of 2003-2004. I noticed that the scarred Vader head matches Anakins with the scar placement yet is different slightly from the OG versions. I didn't do a comparison of the torso, but they seem to be the same or very close. The FX-7 droid is meh but I guess since it's stationary it'll do. I wish a LS would have been included but we do get that nifty "wheel o' tools". There are only 5 FX-7 arms and 6 tools so you need another battle droid arm to attached it to FX-7, though I don't know what Anakin needs with an oil can. This set should have been $5, but OK they're Legos.

Ani's JSF - I"m just throwing this in for the heck of it. The best set I've opened so far (OK, out of three). The ship is flimsy compared to the EP2 JSF but has a nice design with the angled wings, solar panels, and slick landing gear. I don't like the gap between the cockpit and octagonal front panel so I just used a shorter technic bar to bridge it. Ani looks good except for the peach face and I wish we could have gotten another full R2 except for the dome. The Vulture Droid is OK and I like it better than the EP1 analog. What really pi$$es me off is the use of stickers. I hate, hate, hate them. I'll gladly pay an extra buck for the tamped pieces.

Tri-Droid Fighter - ...or whatever its name is. I can never remember right. I don't like this one nearly as much as the JSF. A very novel design--my hats off to the designers for their effort but other than that I'm not excited about it. Maybe because the buzz droid blows or that the eyes are floppy and move around on that technic axle or just because it was $15 and came with a ton of stickers. I don't know. Just wait until clearance time on this one.

Clone Scout Walker - This one looks cool but I can't give a good review cause it's still in the box. I just know it's gonna have stickers which bugs me. Funny thing about this set is that in my area (central UT) they're actually somewhat scarce. It's a cheap way to get EP3 clones, especially if you want to tie their purchase to getting free TRU MINI sets.

I'm hoping to snag some ARC and GG Chase action soon since I got some TRU coupons. Maybe the same for the wookie set. No way I'll get the final LS duel set at $30 with two lightup minifigs. The catamaran is just too lame for the price, but the tank looks nice. The mammajamma tank looks great, but $90 is too much.

JediTricks
05-13-2005, 07:33 PM
JSF... I don't like the gap between the cockpit and octagonal front panel so I just used a shorter technic bar to bridge it.I didn't like that either, my solution was to slide the studded-axle it was on inwards, bringing the control stick closer to Ani.

Droid Tri-Fighter... the eyes are floppy and move around on that technic axleI think you must have attached the eye part wrong, the eye part attaches to a studded-axle via the stud, not the axle, which is a VERY tight fit (annoyingly so at times).

Clone Scout Walker... I just know it's gonna have stickers which bugs me.Nope, zero stickers. There's only 1 tampoed piece, the plate in front of the pilot.

Mandalorian Candidat
05-14-2005, 01:03 AM
I think you must have attached the eye part wrong, the eye part attaches to a studded-axle via the stud, not the axle, which is a VERY tight fit (annoyingly so at times).

I finally figured it out. I wondered why it was so jacked up. I had the right axle but I put it through the eye stud instead of sticking on the end. Now it fits much better. Thanks.

Nope, zero stickers. There's only 1 tampoed piece, the plate in front of the pilot.

That's good to hear. Any other sets you know of with stickers from EP3?

mastermatt24
05-14-2005, 07:29 PM
I got the JSF wich was pretty cool as mentioned. Ive waited on the other oones I was going to buy because I got the Hasbro ones instead (clone walker, Arc).

moulman
05-15-2005, 12:19 PM
I like the Arc fighter too. The only problem that I had with it is that you cant set it down w/ the wings open. Bought a 5 dollar tub of random legos and built a red and white colored stand for the fighter, looks nice now:D

JediTricks
05-15-2005, 07:17 PM
ManCan, glad to hear you got your set worked out. What do you think of it now? Did you know the Droid Tri-Fighter's look is based on the Trade Federation's Battleship, the circle with the ball in the center? I thought that was sorta interesting, look at it from the side and you'll see it.

I don't know what other sets have stickers as I haven't picked any more up yet. EDIT: I forgot, I didn't mention that the ARC-170 has no stickers, tampo pieces only.

aceguide
05-16-2005, 07:49 AM
Wow - thanks for all the input.

Interesting that no one has picked up the monster tank. I looks like a great set - I too feel that the price is a bit much for a toy.

Thinking I will pick up a couple of sets with the Target sale going on. The 8 year old lego maniac really likes the ATRT - so that's in the cart. Probably just stick with the less expensive sets and get the Boga and Vader sets as well.

Mandalorian Candidat
05-17-2005, 10:15 AM
Wow - thanks for all the input.

Interesting that no one has picked up the monster tank. I looks like a great set - I too feel that the price is a bit much for a toy.

Thinking I will pick up a couple of sets with the Target sale going on. The 8 year old lego maniac really likes the ATRT - so that's in the cart. Probably just stick with the less expensive sets and get the Boga and Vader sets as well.

I've heard some negative stuff about the tank on fbtb.net forums, like the axles are kind of crappy. Plus the doors look like they're hooked together with hinges like those on the AT-AT, which totally blew. It's a nice looking set, though but I wouldn't pay more than $60 for it.

JT, I never though of them that way. According to the latest Brickmaster mag. they were originally supposed to have 2 wings but from far away in the space shots they appeared to look like the JSFs.

I'm gonna try to use the Target add to match the discount at TRU and use a TRU coupon to get the ARC this week. I'm itching to get this one.

JediTricks
05-17-2005, 09:34 PM
Ha! That's funny about them looking too much like JSFs with just 2 wings.

As for TRU, you probably won't be able to, the TRUs in my area have signs up saying they no longer price-match. That being the case, I am really not sure what to do as the Target prices are significantly lower and I'm not particularly enamoured by the MINI ARC-170. I guess I do know what I'll do after all. ;)

BTW, think you could hit me with that link to the Clone Turbo Tank comments? I couldn't find any significant comments about the set there and I'd really like to know more about it.

Mandalorian Candidat
05-18-2005, 09:11 AM
Ha! That's funny about them looking too much like JSFs with just 2 wings.

As for TRU, you probably won't be able to, the TRUs in my area have signs up saying they no longer price-match. That being the case, I am really not sure what to do as the Target prices are significantly lower and I'm not particularly enamoured by the MINI ARC-170. I guess I do know what I'll do after all. ;)

I didn't know about their change in policy. I checked yesterday and got shot down. I got the GG Chase anyways cause I had one of those 20% off coupons and to get the MINI ARC-170. I'll probably go back again and get the regular size ARC-170 with another coupon cause it'll still be cheaper than the Target sale (15% off).

BTW, think you could hit me with that link to the Clone Turbo Tank comments? I couldn't find any significant comments about the set there and I'd really like to know more about it.

Sorry. All I can remember is that it was on the fbtb.net boards, which I don't visit all that often. I think it looks good as seen at the TRU window box, but I have the feeling that most of the side panels have the AT-AT connectivity. The wheels all look like they're on free floating axles so I wonder if they all stay put together OK. I'll most likely end up getting it when it goes on clearance.

Mandalorian Candidat
05-19-2005, 01:20 PM
I didn't have EP3 midnight tix so I ended up staying at home watching ROTJ and putting together the ARC-170, which I got at TRU with one of their 20% off coupons.

I'm a little disappointed in the set but it's more from hearing the hype about how great it is. It's a nice set in that you get three slick looking figures plus the red R2 which was only available in the B-Wing and Y-Wing/DV TIE sets. Not a big whoop about him cause it's just R2 painted red. I wish that Lego would have followed in their early tradition of giving us some nice side junk to accent the set, like the maintenance carts with the older X-Wing or even the Zamboni looking thing with the Naboo Fighter. Even a couple of Buzz Droids thrown in would have upped the set IMO.

That being said it's just OK. I like the wing opening function crossed with the inverted plunger to open the bomb port. It was engineered with a really unique part so I hope not to lose it cause it'll be hard to find. It's a good looking vehicle yet there are a lot of holes in the cockpit. These several gaps are going to be tough to fill up without interfering with the bricks in the way. I'm scratching my head on how I'm gonna fix it. The droid isn't really in it's own socket. It's kind of just stuck on a pedestal in between the two gunner stations. The aft gun swivel is too loose for my taste; I wish it had been done with the ball/socket setup from the Republic Gunship. The length of the gun barrel makes it very easy for it to move around, unlike something like the snowspeeder which has a very small gun with a center of gravity right over the swiveled tile.

The wing mechanism is close to the Dago X-Wing's but maybe slightly different. Maybe I was distracted from the movie I was watching, but it took me a couple of rebuilds to get all the black studs in properly so that everything would mesh properly in the end.

My final verdict is that it's just OK. Nothing spectacular. It's about 400 pieces, so it fits with the 100 pieces-$10 ratio but I would recommend waiting until it goes on sale or clearance for below $30 before buying it.

JediTricks
05-20-2005, 04:18 AM
I picked up the Wookiee Attack set yesterday at Target for $4 off, here's what I think in a nutshell...

Wookiee Attack is a good set if you can accept that none of the vehicles are a "major" vehicle in the set, really you're buying 3 vehicle-types in the $5 class, $10 class, and $15 class all in one box. No matter what this set doesn't have the Mos Eisley Cantina set's feeling of getting an overpriced empty box though, which is a good thing, and you change building styles several times so it's not a cakewalk build. There are no stickers (yay), 2 identical wookiee warriors and 2 battle droids. The Dwarf Spider Droid is a cute set and looks good even though it's inaccurate and has simple, odd legs, I find myself picking this little LEGO thing up and playing with it way more than I expcted to - especially since I don't really like this droid in the films :p - it seems to be a little small in scale compared to the Battle Droid but believable to me. The wookiee flyer, judging on the Hasbro toy since I barely noticed it in the film, seems like a very good representation of the vehicle, the wings being represented by long thin antennae actually comes off pretty well; the overall design takes liberties only with the legs, and adds a feature with the rear end splitting apart to let the rear gunner's seat pivot, and this turns out to be another vehicle in this set I pick up and play with more than I expected to, it's actually fun, and the 2 wookiees inside are not bad at all. Finally, the Corporate Alliance's Tank Droid is the biggest build, and it's a strange build really; the vehicle itself (Lego took a major liberty with the design, making it a vehicle for a battle droid rather than an actual droid, I think this is easily forgivable though) somehow is both inaccurate and yet a good representation of the vehicle, the outside tracks are only pontoons yet still get the idea across, the main body is surrounded by a central track made up of 69 track links (the bag had 70, so just keep building till you end up with 1 left, the fit of the track should be only a little slack, I screwed up and didn't fit the top runner all the way in so it was really tight but adding the last link made it too slack, then I figured out what was wrong) and has 2 pairs of blasters; each side of the big "wheel" is a nifty tampoed translucent orange big radar dish which folds back to reveal the battle droid's swing out pilot seat, other than that and the tank tread there's no other gimmicks. The tread on the Tank Droid catches sometimes like the Hailfire Droid's wheels, but it's still a fun thing to roll around and looks pretty cool and mean. All in all, I do dig this set, it's not the most exciting piece nor does it really make a whole scene but it's definitely got 3 fun vehicles that are all worthy of play and display.

I'm a little disappointed in the set but it's more from hearing the hype about how great it is.I hope that wasn't from me at all. Please LMK if it was, the more specific the example you can provide, the better, I would really appreciate that.

It's a good looking vehicle yet there are a lot of holes in the cockpit. These several gaps are going to be tough to fill up without interfering with the bricks in the way. I'm scratching my head on how I'm gonna fix it. I haven't actually done it yet, but I've given it a lot of thought. The ones just beneath the caonopies should be cake, there are no minifig arms that have to go over those sections the way the Naboo Fighter had it, so you can just slap some white single-width plates there. The ones under the fold-down panels on either side of the upper section stymied me for a while, but then I realized that you could just plop a 2x1 plate BEHIND the smooth tile and you would be good to go. That just leaves the gap in front of the pilot, and I think if you put a plate underneath it by dropping that plate down under the pilot with a smaller plate, you can cover that whole opening.

BTW, while looking at my ARC-170 just now to check my theories, I dropped it less than a foot onto a Technic set and the ARC-170 blew apart worse than any other out-of-the-box set I've ever purchased. The nose came off, a wing blew apart, the top came undone, even the droid and a clone got blown out, the clone's helmet even came off! :eek: So here it is 2 in the morning and I have to put this thing back together sans instructions. :(

Mandalorian Candidat
05-20-2005, 09:22 AM
I hope that wasn't from me at all. Please LMK if it was, the more specific the example you can provide, the better, I would really appreciate that.

Oh crap! Now I gotta testify! ;)

Nah, JT, I don't think it was anything you said. Usually we see eye to eye on our assessment of Lego sets. It was more the fbtb.net boards and some TRU employees who had bought the sets that gave it a big thumbs up. Don't get me wrong, I like the overall look, it's just a lot of the details that bug me. The holes for one, the way the front lateral panels connect to the fuselage and that the opening wings are only on one point of connection so they swivel easily when opening them.

Thanks much for the Wookie Attack review. I had one last TRU 20% off coupon and was debating on whether getting that one or the Lightsaber Duel one. I like the Duel set just for the large pieces that I could use for custom stuff, like the Sith Avenger design that Lego came up with. Other than that I think it's blah. I ended up getting the WA set due to the mini spider droid and the wookies. I noticed that the Corporate Alliance Tank Droid has that cockpit opening for a battle droid so that upped the set in my eyes. I feel better about the purchase. Now I just have the Clone Tank, Catamaran, and ULD to get, which I'll wait until a biatchin' sale or clearance shows up.

Good luck on the ARC reconstruction. At least it wasn't deconstructed by a 2.5 year old like my MF was. :D

JediTricks
05-21-2005, 02:02 AM
The holes for one, the way the front lateral panels connect to the fuselage and that the opening wings are only on one point of connection so they swivel easily when opening them.Yeah, those all bother me (the front lateral panels didn't bother me that much until last night when they blew apart, at 3:20am I had to track down the missing segments and put the wings, nose, and upper cockpit totally back together or risk sleeping on them since the parts spewed all over my bed. ;) Luckily, it turned out to be easy to reassemble) - the holes quickly become a challenge for me though and one I think I've got licked, the front panels can be strengthened I suppose, and I've found that the S-foils don't swivel/rotate that much after a while, I haven't found myself having to readjust them lately. I'm glad I wasn't the one who set you on the stray path, I've worried about that a few times, my AT-AT review was the worst because so many of the things I liked just didn't seem to jive for a lot of others and at that price level it can really be a toughy.

Let us know what you think of the WA, and that's a real bummer about the Falcon. Which version? I can see the 2nd one being a real beast to reassemble, the 1st seems a little easier I think because it uses those big UFO elements.

Kidhuman
05-22-2005, 12:06 AM
I bought the AT-RT today. Easy put together, did it at work while taking phone calls and did it in twenty minutes. I like it. I especially like the clone figure. Wish it had another one.

Mandalorian Candidat
05-25-2005, 11:55 PM
Let us know what you think of the WA, and that's a real bummer about the Falcon. Which version? I can see the 2nd one being a real beast to reassemble, the 1st seems a little easier I think because it uses those big UFO elements.

It was the MF 2. She took off all the front opening panels and a few other pieces. Nothing too bad, just enough to make me wish I had put it up on a higher shelf.

Has anyone on the boards bought the ULD, Catamaran, or Turbo Tank? I'd like to get a good review on those and unfortunately fbtb.net hasn't put up reviews on new sets like they did since EP1.

JediTricks
06-06-2005, 10:07 PM
It's a good looking vehicle yet there are a lot of holes in the cockpit. These several gaps are going to be tough to fill up without interfering with the bricks in the way. I'm scratching my head on how I'm gonna fix it.
I haven't actually done it yet, but I've given it a lot of thought. The ones just beneath the caonopies should be cake, there are no minifig arms that have to go over those sections the way the Naboo Fighter had it, so you can just slap some white single-width plates there. The ones under the fold-down panels on either side of the upper section stymied me for a while, but then I realized that you could just plop a 2x1 plate BEHIND the smooth tile and you would be good to go. That just leaves the gap in front of the pilot, and I think if you put a plate underneath it by dropping that plate down under the pilot with a smaller plate, you can cover that whole opening.Well, after thinking about it for 2 months, I finally did it this Saturday morning. I wasn't that pleased with the way the upper cockpits lookedwith those single-width plates closing their openings because the pilots just looked so lost in there this way, and I didn't have the right plates to do it on both sides so I took it back off. I'm not sure what I'm going to do there, but I'm thinking of lowering the droid and the canopies 1 plate in height, the pilots don't need that extra room anyway.

With the sides of the upper section, the ones beneath the fold-down panels on the upper cockpit, I only could scrounge up 2 1x2 bricks so I filled the other holes with black bricks since I had a ton of those and there already was black from the hinge pieces, this worked PERFECTLY, I even sealed up the section that sits beneath the droid just because I could. I also took a smooth 1x4 tile and planted it behind the pilot figure's back so it would cover up the exposed gear, this didn't affect the seating thankfully.

While working on sealing up the underside of the front cockpit, I monkied around with filling in the nose via a gray megaphone on top of a gray stud-faced brick and added a trans-orange stud to the face of that brick, then underneath the studded brick added a white square stud (1x1 plate) with the back-to-back vertical studs off 1 side, and under that a regular white stud - all this was attached to the second center hole in on top. It's not the smooth round nose of the real mccoy, but it does put something in there all the way top to bottom pretty well and looks alright, and it has that nose sensor that the real one has. I also took 2 white studs and attached to each a stud-to-pin piece from Technic, used these to plug up the gap from the side near the top of the nose (originally I was going to use a square-stud with the horizontal "claw" pegged behind the nose panels, it fit but I only had 1 in white).

Finally, I took the approach I mentioned before about sealing up the front cockpit's underside, I took a 3x2 plate and attached it beneath the floor, then ran a 8x2 plate attached to that, and shored it up with a megaphone plugged into the top with a single round stud attached between the studs of the 8x2 plate, it closes up enough of the front end to get the job done quite well.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-07-2005, 07:04 PM
:crazed:

I'm gonna take your word on it there, JT. I'm trying to understand your part descriptions but I don't know how the lingo translates to actual parts. Can you post a pic of either the loose pieces you used or of your ship itself?

JediTricks
06-08-2005, 04:58 PM
I'm afraid I don't know the "official" lingo very well, and my digicam is kinda not happening right now, but I'll try to figure something out...

Here's images of the parts I mentioned anyway:

With the sides of the upper section, the ones beneath the fold-down panels on the upper cockpit, I only could scrounge up 2 1x2 bricks so I filled the other holes with black bricks since I had a ton of those and there already was black from the hinge pieces, this worked PERFECTLY, I even sealed up the section that sits beneath the droid just because I could. I also took a smooth 1x4 tile and planted it behind the pilot figure's back so it would cover up the exposed gear, this didn't affect the seating thankfully.

1x2 brick: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=3004 (it's the classic!)
1x4 tile: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=2431

I monkied around with filling in the nose via a gray megaphone on top of a gray stud-faced brick and added a trans-orange stud to the face of that brick, then underneath the studded brick added a white square stud (1x1 plate) with the back-to-back vertical studs off 1 side, and under that a regular white stud - all this was attached to the second center hole in on top. It's not the smooth round nose of the real mccoy, but it does put something in there all the way top to bottom pretty well and looks alright, and it has that nose sensor that the real one has. I also took 2 white studs and attached to each a stud-to-pin piece from Technic, used these to plug up the gap from the side near the top of the nose (originally I was going to use a square-stud with the horizontal "claw" pegged behind the nose panels, it fit but I only had 1 in white).
nose front fill-in parts...

megaphone: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=4349
gray stud-faced brick: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=4070
trans-orange (refers to translucent orange in color) stud: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=4073 (this part attached to the face of the previous part)
white square stud with back-to-back vertical studs: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=4081b
regular white stud: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=3024
side fill-in parts...

white stud: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=4073
stud-to-pin piece from Technic: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=4274

Finally, I took the approach I mentioned before about sealing up the front cockpit's underside, I took a 3x2 plate and attached it beneath the floor, then ran a 8x2 plate attached to that, and shored it up with a megaphone plugged into the top with a single round stud attached between the studs of the 8x2 plate, it closes up enough of the front end to get the job done quite well.

3x2 plate: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=3021
8x2 plate: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=3034
megaphone: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=4349
round stud: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=4073
I'll try to figure out a way to get this across on the set, maybe scrounge up photos.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-08-2005, 07:53 PM
WOW! Thanks for going the extra mile. Anyone else (especially those on the fbtb.net boards) would have told me to take a flying leap.

LusiferSam
06-09-2005, 02:20 PM
Well I finally got the Turbo Tank (it was a gift, so I let some other sucker shell out the money). It's a big set, but not too challenging a to build. I think it took about 2 hours, which includes the other stuff I was doing at the same time. After building it I'm not sure which end is the front any more. And it has a lot of empty space that could be used.

The wheels are mounted on technic beams which flop around. I guess this meant as suspension. The middle set of wheels however are mounted on real shocks (http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=731c01) and have this funny habit of folding downward when you pick the thing up.

The end with the observation tower (the big box part) is a big waste of space. Its mostly empty. The instructions have the gun turret going in there, but it seems like something else could and/or should go there. The whole assembly is off too. You place a bunch of tile pieces, like for some that slides out of, but also a plate at the end. Then this whole big subassembly sits down and is held in place by the plate brick and more technic beams. The whole thing make no since. The sides of this box flop open and are held closed by click hinges (http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=44302) which are too strong to this application. The old style finger hinge (http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=4276) would work much better.

The cockpits are real simply thing, not much to either one. The panels on held on by either click hinges or trap door plates (http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=30042). Neither is vary strong and many of the side panels need more reinforcement. In my opinion it takes the worst aspects of the AT-AT and AT-TE and combines in one set.

JediTricks
06-10-2005, 07:54 PM
WOW! Thanks for going the extra mile. Anyone else (especially those on the fbtb.net boards) would have told me to take a flying leap.
Wow, really? That kinda stinks. Glad I could help in some way, photos I know would have been way better, but I hope it inspires you to try some stuff on your own because it's quite doable.

After building it I'm not sure which end is the front any more.The Turbo Tank (ugh, still hate that name) is the opposite of the AT-AT, so where the AT-AT's smaller, separated section comes off from the main body is its head, the Turbo Tank has it being the back.

And it has a lot of empty space that could be used.I was shocked to see that in this month's Lego Club magazine, you can see a big gap into the vehicle with the doors up, that's not good IMO.

The wheels are mounted on technic beams which flop around. I guess this meant as suspension. The middle set of wheels however are mounted on real shocks and have this funny habit of folding downward when you pick the thing up.I believe the shock-mounted center wheels are the "suspension" and the rest are floppy for the "steering".

The end with the observation tower (the big box part) is a big waste of space. Its mostly empty.That's the impression I got when I saw it in use on the last page of the comic in the Lego magazine, I had heard folks talking about it and thought it was supposed to raise like an elevator or something halfway cool, but it just seems empty. I know the tower raises up and locks in place, but I thought this slid up and down as well and was something else really.

Well, thanks for the 411 on the set, too bad it doesn't sound so cool. Any overall thoughts or opinions (mitigating or otherwise)?

Slicker
06-10-2005, 08:08 PM
Unfortunately the only set that I've gotten is the DV Transformation which, as stated by nearly everyone else, is a really neat set.

When I finally get around to finishing up my ROTS spending next month I'm gonna go crazy and buy all of the ROTS sets. The one that I'm looking forward to the most is the ARC-170. I like the look of it and it looks like a fun build. Another one that I'm looking forward to is the Turbo Tank. I'm not gonna have high hopes for from the couple of write ups so far so if I'm impressed that'll make it all the better. I'm just a sucker for large builds (i.e. AT-AT, Tantive IV, and all of the UCS sets) because they give me a chance to watch the OT movies while I'm building.

Great write ups everyone and hopefully I can give some useful input when I get around to buying some of these sets.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-16-2005, 02:08 PM
The one that I'm looking forward to the most is the ARC-170. I like the look of it and it looks like a fun build.

I hope you like the ARC-170 more than I did. Just a disappointment due to the large amount of holes in the fuselage and the high cost. I somehow thought it would have been cooler.

Finally cracked open the GG Chase and must say that I really should have listen to my gut on this one. It looked like junk but I wanted it for the GG and OB1 minifigs. The price on this one should have been closer to $10 or $12. The "new mold" excuse won't work on this one cause the only new pieces are GG's head and maybe torso and possibly the Boga head. The rest are Jabba's tail and the dewback legs and neck. It's just blah and the wheel bike is nothing special at all. I thought it could have been really cool, but the disc design is just comical to me. To add insult to injury, the saber blades aren't even chromed--just the gray plastic like the pieces used for landing gear on the Sith Infiltrator MINI. I do not recommend this set unless you are a minifig collector and even then get it when it hits clearance.

LusiferSam
06-16-2005, 09:47 PM
To add insult to injury, the saber blades aren't even chromed--just the gray plastic like the pieces used for landing gear on the Sith Infiltrator MINI.
That's just one of the many consequences of Lego's color fiasco. I'm 90% sure chrome silver (that's in BrickLink speak) is being phased out as a Lego color. In fact I think all the chrome colors are being phased out. I can't say one color has replaced chrome silver, but it seems like the pearl colors have gained a lot of ground in the past couple of years. Here's BrickLink's Color Guide (http://www.bricklink.com/catalogColors.asp) for those interested.

And I had one more thing about the Turbo Tank. Its Mace's lightsaber, it's a nice purple color when unlit. But turns a rather dark bluish purple when the head is pushed down. Those that have played with the window box I'm sure already know this, but I thought is was worth mentioning.

Kidhuman
06-16-2005, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the Grievous chase Man Can, almost bought it today

Mandalorian Candidat
06-17-2005, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the heads up on the Grievous chase Man Can, almost bought it today

Glad I could help. $20 just isn't worth it.

That blows about the color schemes. To me it's a no brainer to keep the silver chrome. I get the feeling that the soul of this line is slowly getting sucked out.

Ji'dai
10-01-2005, 12:44 AM
TRU has an exclusive ROTS set bundle (65771!?) in new packaging that includes the ARC-170 Fighter, Droid Tri-fighter, a MINI set, plus a poster and CD-ROM. Retails for $60 over at Amazon/TRU.com.

I don't have these sets but the included extras aren't really all that enticing for the price. A poster and CD-ROM? Meh.

Kidhuman
10-01-2005, 08:07 AM
How much is that set?

JediTricks
10-01-2005, 02:09 PM
What really bothered me was the either/or situation on the MINI, either you get the awesome MINI Jedi Starfighter or the awful MINI ARC-170.

bobafrett
10-02-2005, 06:11 PM
I bought the mini ARC-170 from TRU for $5. I have the regular ARC-170, and the TRI fighter, so I will pass, and hopefully they will release the mini Jedi Starfighter at another time.

Ji'dai
10-04-2005, 08:31 PM
Yet another exclusive ROTS set bundle:

7283 Ultimate Space Battle includes red and yellow Jedi Starfighters, a Droid Tri-fighter, two Vulture Droids, and Anakin & Obi-Wan mini-figs, plus two Buzz Droids.

This 567-peice set is a Target exclusive and will retail for $50. It is available for pre-order on Target.com.