PDA

View Full Version : Palpatine was that powerful??

drsidious
05-13-2005, 01:14 AM
the obvious question..why didnt yoda come out of hiding to kill vader?
so not to expose himself to the emperor?
because he coulnt beat palpatine?
that why he retreated?
what, obi -wan wasnt up to the task eaither?
they just decided ta chill back, let the kids grow up?
obi-wan shouda stayed on mustafar, killed palps, then gone into hiding.
shoulda, coulda, woulda, didnt.

Jek Porky 2002
05-13-2005, 04:16 AM
Don't forget though, Yoda was old by that point. He had grown weiry.

I think they were waiting for fait to intervein, they could, to a point, foresee Luke bringing balance to the force.

drsidious
05-13-2005, 05:21 AM
yes he was old , but anakin was much less powerful after his
"incident". yoda coulda thrown him down.
i do find it strange that yoda looked so much worse after spending some 20 years on dagoba. guess thats what eating snakes does to you.

Triplesaber
05-15-2005, 10:33 PM
i watched some clips of Palpatine vs Jedis duel, man, i dont think ill like it. I mean, hes an old Sith Lord, a mster tht has many apprentices, n its kinda weird seeing him fighting like Jackie Chan. We could accept Darth Maul's gymnastic skills, coz hes young, full of steroid, a tool of the darkside, n trained to kill them all. But for a sith master, id prefer something like Vader-style of fight. Look at how cool he is. When he fights Luke, he doesnt need to move around so much, n tht makes him look powerful n cool.

drsidious
05-16-2005, 12:50 AM
remember tho when george was smokin glue he had his daughter fill in fer director. :crazed:

sith_killer_99
05-16-2005, 11:41 AM
the obvious question..why didnt yoda come out of hiding to kill vader?

What, you mean like, hunt him down with the purpose of killing him, murder is not the way of the Jedi.

so not to expose himself to the emperor?

Yes, I do think it best that Yoda not go around exposing himself.

This much is true.

that why he retreated?

Sort of, Yoda saw in the Force that if he continued to fight he would lose to Darth Sidious. Ironically, that is what saved him. So you tell me, who was more powerful in the force? The man who could win the fight? Or the man who was given a vision of what to do to survive?

No he wasn't and Yoda tells him so.

obi-wan shouda stayed on mustafar, killed palps, then gone into hiding.
shoulda, coulda, woulda, didnt.

They were following the will of the Force.

JON9000
05-20-2005, 09:07 AM
Anakin was the only Jedi who could destroy the Sith- hence the prophecy.

If Star Wars has a philosphical aspect for me, it really is a sort of taoist balance. Palps and Yoda were evenly matched, but Palpy's clones were on the way to give him the advantage. Yoda knew it and realized the only way to win was to make the investment in the future.

The more interesting question for me was, did Mace really have Palps dead to rights, or did Palpy just give in a little to put Anakin in the position to choose?

DarthBrandon
05-20-2005, 10:35 AM
The more interesting question for me was, did Mace really have Palps dead to rights, or did Palpy just give in a little to put Anakin in the position to choose?

My Son (age 7) & I saw it yesterday, we both got the same impression, Mace clearly beats Palps dead to rights, as you would put it. He was beaten up until the point (my son says Anakin cheated) Anakin suckered Mace by cutting off his lightsaber hand, then Palpy fried his a** & force pushed him out into the Coruscant sky. Which most likely he died from but no one knows for sure as you do not see the body afterwards & we all know how Jedi can hop onto speeders & stuff while falling great distances. (keep in mind Mace still has one good hand) :D

You can tell that after the duel Palpy is squirming & uneasy up until the point Anakin walks in the door, you can see his facial expression change from a scared rabbit to someone who is starting to gain his composure back a little at a time. If he was faking I canít figure out who he was faking for as Anakin showed up after the fact (beaten), not before. I really liked this flick & I went into it with a kid in mind, not an adult (that will be tonightís viewing), so my opinion my change but not by much.

Sith Lord 0498
05-20-2005, 04:23 PM
I think Palpatine's arrogance blinded him to the fact that Mace could possibly beat him. Now, I know this is EU, but it is relevant. Vaapad, the lightsaber form Mace designed, draws quite a bit on the Dark Side, and Mace was fighting for the entire Jedi Order. Judging from the expressions on his face, I think Mace was deep in Vaapad and likely an equal or greater in lightsaber combat.

Plus, I don't think Palpatine expected Mace to "fight dirty" with that kick to the hand, which sent Palpatine's saber out the window.

Which reminds me...where did he get the saber he used against Yoda? I can't see that first lightsaber being easily found on the Coruscant streets.

sith_killer_99
05-21-2005, 10:08 AM
I think Palpatine's arrogance blinded him to the fact that Mace could possibly beat him. Now, I know this is EU, but it is relevant. Vaapad, the lightsaber form Mace designed, draws quite a bit on the Dark Side, and Mace was fighting for the entire Jedi Order. Judging from the expressions on his face, I think Mace was deep in Vaapad and likely an equal or greater in lightsaber combat.

I agree, the novel does a better job of explaining the battle. Basically Mace uses Vaapad to channel Palpatines darkside power back at him. Mace really does kick his butt good in the novel. If not for Anakin's betrayal he would have defeated Sidious. Also, in the novel Yoda makes a refrence as to why the Jedi lose to the Sith, to include himself. He says that the Sith had evolved, while the Jedi trained and prepared to fight a war that had taken place a thousand years ago. That dosen't hold true with Mace, he developed Vaapad, he evolved his fighting technique, thus better preparing him to take on the Sith.

Which reminds me...where did he get the saber he used against Yoda? I can't see that first lightsaber being easily found on the Coruscant streets.

I believe in the novel Mace actually cuts Palpatines lightsaber in half. In any event when Palpatine is fighting Yoda he pulls out a "hold out" lightsaber, kinda like a Cops back up. :rolleyes:

vulcantouch
05-21-2005, 11:05 AM
. . ."obewan's as strong as windu and wise as yoda". he coulda just said "obi's as strong & wise as yoda". thus his noting of windu's strength in this statement implies that it's common knowledge among jeds that mace is stronger than yoda.
this also implies that obi himself could beat palpy, had he been the one to face him. believable in that he comports himself ably in the prequels; then again, why is he bested both times he fights dooku, who as #2 sith is presumably not as tough as palpy? :crazed:

Sith Lord 0498
05-21-2005, 03:29 PM
I believe in the novel Mace actually cuts Palpatines lightsaber in half. In any event when Palpatine is fighting Yoda he pulls out a "hold out" lightsaber, kinda like a Cops back up. :rolleyes:

Yes, that's true. I'd forgotten that detail. In a way, it makes sense that Palpatine would've produced two lightsabers. His greatest strength is planning for the future, and it would be logical for him to keep something in reserve.

Or perhaps one of the sabers belonged to Darth Plagueis?