PDA

View Full Version : Authenic Costume Replicas - $100!!!!

Sith Lord 0498
05-14-2005, 04:31 PM
You read that right, fellas. According to an article on Master Replicas in the online edition of the Chicago Sun-Times, MR's costume replicas will be in the neighborhood of $100, and they are wearable Halloween costumes!!! These costumes will be "identical to those seen on the screen down to the last stitch" according to MR founder Steve Dymbso.

Guess I know what I'll be wearing this October!! :D

Here's the link to the whole article.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/entertainment/wkp-news-fave13north.html

Portlyman
05-14-2005, 04:58 PM
When are they going to announce the replica Force powers? I'm tired of taping pictures of lightning to the back of my hands.

Sith Lord 0498
05-14-2005, 05:10 PM
When are they going to announce the replica Force powers? I'm tired of taping pictures of lightning to the back of my hands.

LOL!!! That does seem to be the next step, doesn't it? I'm just thrilled about the idea of movie-accurate costumes being only $100. Last year, I checked out costumes at Party City, and they were nearly $50-75 and nowhere close to being on par with film costumes. It's a very reasonable price, and MR is probably banking on fans buying up the costumes in bulk come this Halloween.

Beast
05-14-2005, 05:10 PM
That has to be a typo. There's no way that a replica costume would only run around $100. I'll be amazed if true, but I have an odd feeling it's a goof.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Portlyman
05-14-2005, 08:20 PM
About a week ago I was thinking how expensive a full suit of Darth or ST armor (from MR, of course) would cost. For a Stormtrooper, I'd guess that for an 'average' or display size, it'd be about 20-30,000, and for a custom fit, 50-80,000. Darth would probably start at 50,000. What do you think? Maybe, since there are so many resources for building your own armors, MR would charge less to be more competitive?:confused:

knightone
05-14-2005, 11:14 PM
Considering MR can do the FX sabers for the same price range, I'd say they can do the costumes for $100 easily. Remember that MR is trying to tap into a larger market.

bobafrett
05-14-2005, 11:52 PM
I dunno, I bought a Jedi Robe, and costume with the boot covers, it was very cheesy, and it cost me over $120. I'm not going to mention how much I have spent putting together my Stormtrooper armor, but it was over $100, I gaurantee. I doubt very seriously your going to get anything proffesional looking for $100, unless that's the rental fee.

knightone
05-15-2005, 02:02 AM
The full armor suits are going to be much more than $100 guaranteed, but the cloth costumes can probably be made and sold at a more reasonable price if they are going to make them at a high volume. Rubie's has always overcharged for their costumes, considering their stuff is made from 100% polyester. And, as someone else said, the MR costumes may be done in separates. I'm pretty confident MR can make a Tunic and pants for $100, a robe/cloak for $100, and a pair of boots for $100 as well. However, any discussion we have right now is just speculation. Who knows, MR may surprse us with a high quality costume for a price relatively lower than Rubie's and made of superior materials from a superior design. Considering what MR can do with the qulaity of the FX and mini lines for an incredibly low price, I wouldn't put it past them to be able to sell the costumes at a reasonable price point as well. There are a lot of factors that can bring the price done when making these things in volume and having a dedicated line of costumes.

If the SW costume line takes off for MR, I'd also like to see MR make some Star Trek costumes as well like full Klingon armor, a full "First Contact" style uniform (with zip up undershirt, pants, and boots), and a full classic movie style uniform. I think they'd be far more complerte and better quality than the Rubie's or even fan club ones.

knightone
05-15-2005, 06:55 PM
For anyone that hasn't heard elsewhere, the MR costumes are going to be in the $400 range. However, that price includes boots, belt, and all other articles of clothing.

JediTricks
05-15-2005, 08:10 PM
That has to be a typo. There's no way that a replica costume would only run around $100. I'll be amazed if true, but I have an odd feeling it's a goof.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
I had the same reaction you did, no way we were talking about $100 for a costume, but then I read the story and the context changed that...

Jedi outfits are first up on the list. The costumes are fashioned after those from the films with the seal of approval from LucasFilms, which provided actual fabric and pattern samples for Master Replicas.

"The items will be identical to those seen on the screen down to the last stitch," said Dymbso.

The price will be in the neighborhood of $100.This is all fabric and all fairly basic-looking, and as Knightone points out, it could be done parted out or just reasonably-priced compared to Rubies' crap (I'm sorry, but Rubies continues to disappoint me at nearly every turn).

knightone
05-15-2005, 09:22 PM
(I'm sorry, but Rubies continues to disappoint me at nearly every turn).

I agree. For what Rubie's charges for thier costumes, you'd think it'd be better quality, but they don't seem to be willing to go an extra inch much less an extra mile. I can undertand, though. Rubie's makes literally hundreds of different costumes. They concentrate on quantity rather than quality.

$400 isn't a bad price considering you get practically everything except a saber with it. It would be nice if they were to do separates as well. Some people may want a more authentic tunic or robe, but don't need things like boots or belts as they might have already acquired such items over the years already. The $400 complete costumes are good for MR collectors or SW completists, but some may not need everything to complete a Jedi ostume for Halloween, conventions, etc.

I'll probably get a complete set when they come out for my collection, but I'd like separates as well so I can get an extra robe and an extra tunic and don't need yet another pair of boots, pants, belt, etc. just for Halloween as i have reasonable facsimles of such that will do for dress-up.

Sith Lord 0498
05-15-2005, 10:04 PM
For anyone that hasn't heard elsewhere, the MR costumes are going to be in the $400 range. However, that price includes boots, belt, and all other articles of clothing.

Part of me felt it was too good to be true. That's a pretty big typo on the part of the article's writers though!! Guess I won't be dressing up in these for Halloween. :mad:

Jayspawn
05-16-2005, 02:05 AM
I'm reserving judgment till I see the finished product. A good/great custom set of leather Jedi boots or a belt can run you $100 each.

stillakid
05-16-2005, 02:17 AM
More like $1000. For about a week, Starwars.com had a Rubies full Darth Vader costume with mask for a $999. I don't know how many they had or what the ceiling on orders was, but it is now unavailable to order. :(

A decent helmet alone will run in the $400 range so there is absolutely no way we'd see a full "authentic" costume being sold for a Benjamin. If that IS the claim, then I'd be highly suspicious of the quality before purchasing.

Slicker
05-16-2005, 03:27 AM
I would find $100 for Stormtrooper armor to be extremely cheap. As for the Jedi robes you could easily get away with it. I've seen some nice sets of Stormtrooper on Ebay for around $700 and I'm considering buying some for this Halloween.

JEDIpartner
05-16-2005, 09:41 AM
The first two costumes to be released are going to be Anakin and Obi-Wan's Episode III costumes. I have already been given a price range for a costume including the tunic, tabbard, belt (without packs and things), boots and pants and those alone will be well over $100. I was told the robe alone would be about $100. So... the guy goofed. This information I got was directly from the MR folks who were manning the booth on the second day of Celebration III.

knightone
05-16-2005, 01:35 PM
As previously mentioned, the costumes will not be $100, but around $400. This information comes directly from Steve at MR. That price is also just for the cloth costumes. I would imagine any suits of armor would cost a great deal more.

stillakid
05-16-2005, 01:48 PM
As previously mentioned, the costumes will not be $100, but around $400. This information comes directly from Steve at MR. That price is also just for the cloth costumes. I would imagine any suits of armor would cost a great deal more.

That makes more sense, particulary because of the huge price MR asks for its normal replicas. I'm sure that they make a killing on each of those lightsabers. It isn't likely that they'd cut a thin margin on a full costume just to be nice.

knightone
05-16-2005, 03:56 PM
That makes more sense, particulary because of the huge price MR asks for its normal replicas. I'm sure that they make a killing on each of those lightsabers. It isn't likely that they'd cut a thin margin on a full costume just to be nice.

Just remember that the price includes almost everything, including boots and belt. Considering you get the leather goods as well, it is a pretty good price.