PDA

View Full Version : Any Metalheads out there?

vader121
05-16-2005, 10:08 AM
So who's a metalhead? I have always been and probably always will be. What are your favorite metal bands?

Some of my alltime favorties are:
-Iron Maiden (early stuff is great and a few of the later albums)
-Metallica (mostly from the pre-Load days)
-Megadeth (most of their stuff is great)
-Judas Priest (all of it is good, although the latest album is a step back)
-Black Sabbath (most is great)
-Testament (never heard the later stuff but overall a great band)
-Pantera (RIP Diamond Darrell)
-Prong (some is great, some not so great)
-Sepultura (early stuff is awesome)

Just recently started getting into Overkill. Good riffs and music. Singer is kinda annoying but the music is good.

Monstermile
05-16-2005, 10:32 AM
Been into metal since first hearing Iron Maiden back in 1981. They are still one of my all time favorites. I do like a wide varity of metal now. Some more of my faves:

Anthrax (fan since the early 80's)
Metallica (same as above...seen them live 11 times)
Disturbed
Godsmack
Mushroomhead
Mudvayne
Mnemic
Slayer
Monster Magnet
Soulfly
Stone Sour
Danzig
Pantera (pre The Great Southern Trendkill)
Soil
Static-X

vader121
05-16-2005, 11:32 AM
Dang, forgot to mention Anthrax. Besides that dumb song with public enemy they've stuck to their guns over the years.

Slayer is cool too although the Satanic thing is a bit overdone.

trandoshan666
05-16-2005, 02:04 PM
I love just about all of the bands you guys listed. When I was in high school, I was really into Pantera, Danzig, Sepultura and for whatever reason, bands like Carcass and Obituary. These days, Danzig is the only one of those I still listen to. Oddly, I found the stub from my favorite metal concert Metallica, Danzig and Suicidal Tendencies this Sunday.

vader121
05-16-2005, 02:28 PM
I saw that show too: Metallica, Danzig, and ST in Darien Center, NY.

My heaviest show I ever saw was Testament with Forbidden in Buffalo. It was during their 'Low' tour.

Monstermile
05-16-2005, 02:38 PM
I saw Metallica/Danzig/ST as well. It was at the Mann Music Center in Philly. ST was a real disappointment I must say.

vader121: I really don't like Slayer when they were into the whole Satanic thing even though most say they were at their best then. I had Hell Awaits at one time. Just not my thing. I'm more into everything past Seasons in the Aybss

evenflow
05-16-2005, 07:00 PM
I am metal through and through, always have always will be.

darko666
05-16-2005, 07:28 PM
i've been listening to metal ever since i heard my moms Black Sabbath albums when i was a kid.

some of the bands that i enjoy listening to:

Iron Maiden, Slayer, Motorhead, Kreator, Sodom, Metallica(old), Megadeth, Anthrax, Metal Church(R.I.P. David Wayne), Coroner, Carcass, At The Gates, Manticora, Manowar, Testament, Overkill, Heathen, Exodus, Death Angel, Dark Angel, Death, Mercyful Fate, Blind Guardian, Helloween, Sepultura(when they were thrash), Napalm Death... and the list goes on.

only "real" metal will do, not the "nu" stuff.

darko666
05-16-2005, 07:31 PM
I really don't like Slayer when they were into the whole Satanic thing even though most say they were at their best then. I had Hell Awaits at one time. Just not my thing. I'm more into everything past Seasons in the Aybss

everything after Seasons is their worst material IMO. how could you not like the "Reign In Blood" album? but i guess everybody has their diff. tastes in metal. be it good or bad.

DARKNESSETRNL
05-16-2005, 07:35 PM
My favorite:

King Diamond (who I saw this past weekend, killer show)
Iron Maiden ( Up the Irons! )
Obituary
Overkill
Obsession
Metallica (master of puppets and below)
Helloween (old and some new)
Slayer (old and new)
And to many more to mention. All metal Rules! :crazed:

Reefer Shark
05-16-2005, 08:15 PM
I'm a Metal Head :Ogre:

I've been one since the early eighties (the Iron Maiden days), then progressed into the hardcore stuff when Slayer came out. I swear... I lived for Slayer through my teen years - they were my idols. I used to go to a club called Fenders in Long Beach weekly to see the hardcore shows (Dark Angel, Exodus, Forbidden, Nuclear Assault, Violence, Testament, etc.. etc...). A lot of hardcore punk bands too like D.R.I., Excel, Suicidal, Neurosis, etc... Those were the days lol

Then I used to run lights for a small metal band called Angerfix in my 20's. We used to play shows at all the clubs in L.A. with System of a Down, Korn, Snot, etc... all these 90's bands that weren't signed yet (and about a million other great bands that never got signed to any labels).

Nowadays I like almost all types of music, but if you look in my car cd case you'll find lots of newer heavy stuff like:

Lamb of God (and Burn the Priest :dev: )
Mastodon
Burnt by the Sun
the Dillinger Escape Plan
Cephalic Carnage
Slipknot
High on Fire
etc...
etc...
etc...
Me and a buddy at work usually play "hard attack" on Sirius radio, that's where I find out about some of the the new stuff :cool:

Monstermile
05-16-2005, 09:35 PM
everything after Seasons is their worst material IMO. how could you not like the "Reign In Blood" album? but i guess everybody has their diff. tastes in metal. be it good or bad.

Because as I stated it is not my thing. I don't consider that bad taste. Just my taste.

sith_killer_99
05-16-2005, 10:00 PM
I'm a Metalhead from back in the day. Favorites include, but are not limited to:

Metallica (Pre-Black album)
Slayer
Danzig
Anthrax
Megadeth
Suicidal Tendencies
Pantera
Testament
Overkill
Obituary
Death
Iron Maiden
Motorhead
Ozzy

I also get into the old school stuff; Pink Floyd, Led Zepplin, The Beatles, etc. You gotta stay true to your roots! ;)

Exhaust Port
05-16-2005, 10:32 PM
Whooooo, METAL RULES!!!!

My favorite concert was a White Zombie/Pantera double bill, that concert is followed closely by Sepultura/Pantera.

James Boba Fettfield
05-16-2005, 10:52 PM
I don't know where to go with this one. I love Metallica (say what you must!) and I suppose that counts as metal, though maybe not all of the albums.

Iron Maiden and Motorhead are also tops. Anvil (ask mabudon, he turned me on to them) are another toward the top. Anyone listen to Voivod? I went back into their catalogue after Jason Newsted joined up with them. Not a bad group. There's probably others I am forgetting here . . . Can I count GWAR here? I saw them doing videos from America Must Be Destroyed on Beavis and Butt-Head in the early 90's and have been a fan since. Sure it's a gimmick thing, but I like it.

But uh, now I am finding myself going into the less hard parts of the genre. Gordian Knot (who I just discovered recently), Dream Theater, Liquid Tension Experiment, Rhapsody, Nightwish...haha, I guess you can see where my tastes are going. Opposite from the stuff I started mentioning here, but groups like Dream Theater and Gordian Knot satisfy that hunger for the technical skill and Nightwish and Rhapsody, I don't know what's going on there, but they have those epic feels to them that make me want to pick up a sword and slay a dragon. That's what metal is doing for me these days, I guess :beard:

darko666
05-16-2005, 11:51 PM
Rhapsody - cheesy, yet very kick *****. they are going on tour with Manowar. this is a must see tour. hopefully i can make it to the June 6th show in orlando fl. \m/

mabudonicus
05-17-2005, 08:34 AM
So MANOWAR's touring North America this summer eh???
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Loves the Metal myself
Many of the previously mentioned bands are on my playlist
Haven't seen Gamma Ray or Helloween mentioned yet though, OR Primal Fear :beard:

OR Anvil IIRC.. they are really good old-school Metal

Oh and some early Saxon is great- "Denim and Leather" is the perfect anthem for my fave segment of the genre :D

I am totally a fan of the epic/melodic Metal, the newer "Heavy" stuff doesn't do it for me as much, and as has been stated the "Nu" stuff stinks

vader121
05-17-2005, 10:09 AM
I wasn't going to mention them because I don't consider them Metal but one of my alltime favorites bands is Dream Theater. They absolutely rule and are so impressive. Also, I really like Joe Satriani. Awesome guitarist!

Some other bands that I used to listen to more are ...

-Quiet Riot
-Whitesnake
-Van Halen
-Dokken (I know, hair-metal, but they have some good stuff)
-ACDC (I like the rarer songs more than the others they play over & over again)
-Ozzy (i have trouble listening to Ozzy knowadays. Just sick of him I guess)
-Dio (got heavier over the years, most is very good)
-White Zombie
-Korn (some is good, some not so good)
-Def Leppard (older stuff is very good)
-Suicidal Tendencies
-Led Zeppelin, Kansas, Rainbow, Deep Purple, Thin Lizzy, Santana

DARKNESSETRNL
05-17-2005, 10:38 AM
I wasn't going to mention them because I don't consider them Metal but one of my alltime favorites bands is Dream Theater. They absolutely rule and are so impressive. Also, I really like Joe Satriani. Awesome guitarist!

Some other bands that I used to listen to more are ...

-Quiet Riot
-Whitesnake
-Van Halen
-Dokken (I know, hair-metal, but they have some good stuff)
-ACDC (I like the rarer songs more than the others they play over & over again)
-Ozzy (i have trouble listening to Ozzy knowadays. Just sick of him I guess)
-Dio (got heavier over the years, most is very good)
-White Zombie
-Korn (some is good, some not so good)
-Def Leppard (older stuff is very good)
-Suicidal Tendencies
-Led Zeppelin, Kansas, Rainbow, Deep Purple, Thin Lizzy, Santana
What metalhead didn't listen to those bands. That's what got us started in the first place. Be it old, new, hair, death, thrash, black, grind, doom, epic, fantasy or any other label you want to put on it, It's all ****ing METAL and it all RULES.

mabudonicus
05-17-2005, 01:04 PM
DIO and Rainbow- I forgot to mention that one- years ago (heck maybe even still, I don't recall) I had a pic of me and DIO in my profile, that little guy rocks REALLY hard- last time I saw him someone in the front row had a big foam sign-of-the-horns and DIO grabbed it and ran around hoisting the biggest malocchio (that's the devil horns BTW, as far as Dio calls it) I've ever seen

Thin Lizzy is legitimate too... unfortunate that their "legacy" is so sorry compared to some of their actual good material ("look what the wind just blew in" f'rinstance)

Uriah Heep is another of the "classic" bands that started the Metal ball rolling, and if you wanna get even more "obscure", QUEEN- some of their stuff is pretty "flowery" but most of their first few albums have some downright KILLER tracks on them, like "Brighton Rock" and "Dead on Time"- my "wife" has gotten on a real early-QUEEN kick lately and I would be hard pressed to object...

some older Pink Floyd (Pre-darkside, before they got old and sad and tired and depressing) would count as Metal too in many ways

Glad to see this influx of newer members includes a few die-hards

REAL METAL!!!!!

:beard: < in my mind the "beard" kinda means "METAL", BTW

vader121
05-17-2005, 01:21 PM
Not to sway this in another direction but I was a huge 'Headbanger Ball' watcher back in high school. Used to stay up late on saturday and watch it almost every week. Some more that came to mind ...

C.O.C.
Kiss
Savatage
Scorpions
Alice in Chains (1st album mostly)
Queensryche

My first concert was Scorpions here in Buffalo. Floor, 6th row, left center was my seat. They came with Trixter and Great White. Was an awesome concert.
I also remember watching cover bands whenever I had the chance. Used to see 'Battery' (Metallica cover band) every few months. They were very good. Also used to play an original set before they did the Metallica tunes. All in all very fun night for music.

:beard:

Exhaust Port
05-17-2005, 01:27 PM
Anyone have the new COC album yet? I've read some reviews that were really positive.

mabudonicus
05-17-2005, 02:05 PM
My friend bought the new C.O.C. at the Motorhead show where C.o.C. opened for them, haven't had a chance to check it out myself yet though...
I was never much of a fan of said band but they but on a pretty solid set, and the guitarist joined MOTORHEAD for their closing encore, "OVERKILL" (in case you ain't seen 'em live, they ALWAYS close with that one)

darko666
05-17-2005, 07:33 PM
Haven't seen Gamma Ray or Helloween mentioned yet though

you obviously missed Helloween in my first post. and Gamma Ray are great to. "Powerplant" is one hell of a metal album.

out of all the genres of metal, i would have to pick Thrash as the best. it's my personal fav, and just has the raw power and intensity that i look for in metal. but i enjoy most of the genres such as power, speed, black, death, melo-death, nwobhm, viking/folk. i'm against any form of nu metal and all of this mtv junk that has made it's way into the metal world. what a disgrace to the scene. \m/

Monstermile
05-17-2005, 07:54 PM
darko666: What exactly is your interpetation of Nu Metal?? I get sick of hearing that term used. Metal is metal. Be it crossover, thrash, death, hair/80's, math, gothic, industrial. I like different kinds of metal. I personally don't like death metal but wouldn't go as far as saying it sucks or anything else derogatory about it. To me that is an insult to the whole metal genre and all of its fans.

DARKNESSETRNL
05-17-2005, 08:09 PM
I think of metal and all metalheads as a brotherhood. Warriors of the world who unite with one purpose. To mosh and thrash with whatever kind of metal they want. Remember brothers, we all stand together in the end. :D

" MAY THE GODS OF HEAVY METAL SHINE UPON US ALL."

DARKNESSETRNL
05-17-2005, 08:18 PM
Has anyone seen Manowar in concert? Are they any good? Are there shows anything like there videos? :)

darko666
05-17-2005, 11:11 PM
darko666: What exactly is your interpetation of Nu Metal??

my interpertation along with many other metalheads i know of think of nu(meaning the "new" metal bands)- metal as bands like Korn, Slipknot, Disturbed and any other band that fits into this catergory. because, in all fairness, the bands i just listed aren't in fact metal. thats what i believe to be "nu".

and i don't care what anybody says otherwise, if you want to listen to it, go ahead, i'm not stopping you. but i hope the kids of today that listen to that, look back to the past and at least see where the real talent is. and i don't see myself as an insult to the metal scene as you so put it. because if i am, then there are a lot of other metalheads that are an insult to the metal scene. a lot.

trandoshan666
05-18-2005, 12:07 AM
Has anyone seen Manowar in concert? Are they any good? Are there shows anything like there videos? :)

Unfortunately, I've never had the pleasure of seeing Manowar. But I used to be really into them, and I often threaten to sing a karaoke version of Achilles: Agony and Ecstasy in 8 parts if the opportunity ever arises.:D:D:D

Bossk77
05-18-2005, 02:13 AM
Unfortunately, I've never had the pleasure of seeing Manowar. But I used to be really into them, and I often threaten to sing a karaoke version of Achilles: Agony and Ecstasy in 8 parts if the opportunity ever arises.:D:D:D

Dont be knocking Man o War... I was kinda hoping they would use Achilles: Agony and Ecstacsy in the movie TROY. Imagine a cameo with them playing it in the midst of a battle sceene. That would rock.:evil: lol

I dont think Disturbed Korn ect. really fit in metal new or no. They all borrow to much from each other and loose thier induviduality as an enity. Slipknot is rap style lyric with guitar and some wicked drums and bass to cover it up. They mix way to much to be called metal.... their last album was almost pop-ish.:eek: I would rather. My tastes, alas have left the states and moved on to Swedish and Norwiegan Metal and even futher into Black metal. With a few exceptions, everything from the states now a days sounds the same.

Nu metal is more like Shadows fall and Mastadon, They have been around for a few albums, but there sound is starting to catch on.

mabudonicus
05-18-2005, 08:22 AM
LOL the idea of MANOWAR in a big hollywood movie is HYSTERICAL, good one (there'd be dozens of DC-10 wind machines for that bad boy)

Anyone who could sing all of "Acilles: Agony and Ecstasy in 8 Parts" can't be knocking 'em too hard ;)

And I saw MANOWAR a couple years ago- They were totally incredible in almost every respect- they can play like nobodies business, they are REAL loud and they are really funny onstage- I think they played just under 15 tunes and they did every possible guitar face and metal stunt you could imagine, they were kinda like POISON on acid- there is a series of videos/dvds called "Hell on Earth", I have only the first one but it's pretty funny and very METAL (at the end of it there is a title that says "To our ENEMIES- buy this video then F* off and die")

4 Kings they truly are (oh and they were doing some "reunion" recently where all the former members joined them to play songs they had done with the band, and they had "defender" and "Dark Avenger" read LIVE by Christopher Lee, little SW crossover there)

:beard:

And sorry about missing the Gamma Ray mention man, I concur, "Powerplant" is indeed one hell of an album, it's like a sequel to "Sad Wings of Destiny"

Oh- anyone listen to EARLY Scorpions?? like "in trance" and stuff like that??? they were WAY better before they got "marketed" :beard: (if you are interested, look for the tune "Stemrock fever" or maybe "Robot Man" killer stuff)

vader121
05-18-2005, 10:06 AM
Early Scorpions rule! I have a greatest compilation on cd of their real early stuff and it's very good. Early Judas Priest is very good too.

I guess the reason I always liked Metal music is that it gets me pumped up and much of the music you gotta respect the talent. I mean some of the stuff today is like 3 simple chords and cheesy lyrics. Has no heart. Metal music has meaning and purpose and some bands like Iron Maiden & Dream Theater actually tell a story in their songs which makes it cooler.

I play guitar. I'm no Joe Satriani but I have fun. I respect many of the classic guitarists and love a lot of the stuff they do. Guys like Hammett, Lynch, Tipton & KK, Smith & Murray, & Oliva just plain rock! This is probably why I like Metal so much. It takes talent to play.

Exhaust Port
05-18-2005, 11:42 AM
I respect many of the classic guitarists and love a lot of the stuff they do. Guys like Hammett, Lynch, Tipton & KK, Smith & Murray, & Oliva just plain rock!

I find it funny to see "classic guitarists" and Hammett in the same sentence. I'm not saying you're wrong, it just makes me feel old.

Metallica is the reason I picked up the guitar. I'm not an advanced player but I entertain the crap out of myself. :)

darko666
05-18-2005, 12:04 PM
all this talk of Manowar, makes me want to go their show even more now. one of my friends went to one of their shows a couple of years ago and said the room was just filled with old school metalheads and bikers. these are the fans that follow Manowar and take them very seriously and will beat the hell out of you for making fun of them. this makes the show worth seeing so much more.

i saw someone mention Mastodon, i saw them recently in NY. great performance, they were solid and played just like their albums, but 10 times better. the sound was amazing, you could hear every instrument perfectly. they are one of the best bands to come around in years. now i hear they signed to Warner Records. hopefully this doesn't ruin them.

mabudonicus
05-18-2005, 12:17 PM
If it's possible, go to the show darko, you'll not regret it

I guess I would be one of them "old school metalheads", certainly no biker but I know I am grouped in with the "dangerous lookin'" crowd, but it's odd, I have never seen ANY trouble at a Metal show (heck, I ended up kinda squaredancing at a Priest show with all these Brasilian guys.. I was a bit "mixed up" at the time but it was hilarious- every time a new tune started we would all look at each other and scream "YEAAHH!" and then start jumping around like idiots)
Many of the folks might look "dangerous" but as someone else in this thread said, REAL Metal is all about brother/sisterhood- not many people see and ad for a MANOWAR show and say "hmmm... honey why don't we check this out?? It sounds like it might be a travelling medieval times" so you are prety much guaranteed that everyone has the same mindset

I've seen MOTORHEAD 6 times and they have the "roughest" looking audiences IME but still, never had any sort of problems (well, a couple times I almost got puked on but you just gotta keep yer wits about you)

Only band that I know haa a somewhat dangerous fandom is SLAYER and I'm not sure if that's even true so much anymore...

Go to the show and bang your head like crazy, man, there should be little to fear :beard:

darko666
05-18-2005, 04:43 PM
If it's possible, go to the show darko, you'll not regret it

Go to the show and bang your head like crazy, man, there should be little to fear :beard:

ha, i got nothing to fear. i have seen some insane pits and walked out with no harm done to my body. since i have gotten older, i just prefer to watch the band and head bang. it was just the way my friend described the fans of Manowar. they are really into that band. i wasn't saying metalheads are angry people, in fact they are quite the contrary. i've been to a lot of shows and never had a problem with anyone. most of the metal community are friendly people. i usually end up talking to at least one person everytime i go to a show/concert.

but i will do my best to make it to the Manowar show.
\m/ Heavy Metal or no metal at all, wimps and posers leave the hall. \m/

Monstermile
05-18-2005, 05:49 PM
my interpertation along with many other metalheads i know of think of nu(meaning the "new" metal bands)- metal as bands like Korn, Slipknot, Disturbed and any other band that fits into this catergory. because, in all fairness, the bands i just listed aren't in fact metal. thats what i believe to be "nu".

and i don't care what anybody says otherwise, if you want to listen to it, go ahead, i'm not stopping you. but i hope the kids of today that listen to that, look back to the past and at least see where the real talent is. and i don't see myself as an insult to the metal scene as you so put it. because if i am, then there are a lot of other metalheads that are an insult to the metal scene. a lot.

Sorry I just don't buy that. You label something Nu Metal because some metal doesn't fit the critera of what you and others that are not open minded think metal should be and sound like. Everyone has their likes and dislikes, but to label something not metal or nu metal or crap just because you don't like it is a crock.

I remember back in 85 I went to see Ozzy and Metallica. I myself was there to see Metallica. When they came out and started ripping into Battery, half the people there didn't know what the h3ll was going on. People were actually boing because this was something that most of them had never heard. They were Ozzy fans and weren't very open minded to anything but what they knew and liked. You gotta remember metals roots go back to Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Uriah Heep, Blue Oyster Cult, etc. Before hearing Metallica, Testament, Overkill, Exodus, and others for the first time that is all I knew and thought that was what metal was. My eyes were quickly opened. Since then I have been into many kinds of metal and still am as you can see by my list above.

All I am saying is you can't label something not metal because it isn't your kind of metal. There are many different kinds of metal and IMO that's a good thing. It keeps it fresh and new.

darko666
05-18-2005, 06:29 PM
Sorry I just don't buy that. You label something Nu Metal because some metal doesn't fit the critera of what you and others that are not open minded think metal should be and sound like. Everyone has their likes and dislikes, but to label something not metal or nu metal or crap just because you don't like it is a crock.

yeah, thats how i feel. and i didn't coin the label "nu metal". that term began when these bands came into the public. and as i stated, i could care less what others think of my opinion on metal. i'm very open minded when it comes to music. i listen to what i like and ignore what i dislike. i listen to a wide varity of music, except for rap/hip hop, country, techno, pop punk and all modern day rock. but when someone defines a band to be something they are not, then i must put my two cents in. but i grow tired of explaining my thoughts on this, as i have done this with a couple of other people on other forums and i wasn't alone in the matter. i had other people backing me up or vice versa.

i basically just want people to realize that not all bands that play heavy music or have screaming vocals are metal. it takes more than that. if you can give me one song by Korn that sounds metal, i may re-think my thoughts on this. but i know that will never happen. out of some of the bands you listed, some were metal and others were rock. look at the band Venom, they are a great blend of speed metal and rock. the same goes for Motorhead. you simply are just placing Korn in the metal genre because thats what mtv and the public views them as. but any metalhead with a knowledge of metal will tell you that they aren't. i can see you have great taste in music, but you should clearly see you are wrong in this matter.

and the "nu" term just classifys those bands to have their own special catergory in metal. it's basically saying that if you ask someone what kind of metal they listen to, they either say metal or nu-metal. but don't yell at me for that term and what it means. i didn't create it.

i have nothing against you, and what you listen to. so don't get all bent out of shape over this. you should just listen to your music and be happy with it. i'm done with this rant, so you can take it for whatever you want. and if your not pleased with it, then thats your problem.

Monstermile
05-18-2005, 06:52 PM
Not bent out of shape at all darko666. I guess we can just agree to disagree. You like what you like and I like what I like. I'm sure our likes do cross paths.

Oh and BTW. I never said I considered Korn metal. I like a few songs by them but not really a fan in general. I gotta give them this though. They have a huge and loyal following. I saw them on Summer Sanitarium in 99 and last year with Linkin Park. Their fans are rabid.

darko666
05-18-2005, 07:41 PM
Not bent out of shape at all darko666. I guess we can just agree to disagree. You like what you like and I like what I like. I'm sure our likes do cross paths.

Oh and BTW. I never said I considered Korn metal. I like a few songs by them but not really a fan in general. I gotta give them this though. They have a huge and loyal following. I saw them on Summer Sanitarium in 99 and last year with Linkin Park. Their fans are rabid.

yeah, we will find something to agree on one day. and my mistake for saying you considered Korn metal. yeah, they do have a big following. but, we do have similar tastes in metal. nothing like a rant to get things going. ha ha, it was bound to happen in this thread sometime. speaking of Summer Sanitarium, was Sepultura a part of that tour? i remember hearing they were on that tour along with Slayer. they were never the same when Max left.

Bossk77
05-18-2005, 07:54 PM
Max was the soul of Sepultura, i got to see them with with Max right before he left. One of the best shows i ever saw. Mastadon was great live. I saw them with In Flames...... Flames was great but their sound was a smidge off on one of the guitars. Fear Factory rocks live! see them if you can. Raymond just about pounds the bass drum heads off.

The most underated Guitarist in my oppinion is Jeff King of Danzig. That man has more talent than the rest of the band put together. Glen Danzig has a huge ego problem and wont let King play the way he wants too, for risk of the croud not paying attention to him anymore. One time when i saw danzig Glen cut Jeff off in middle of a solo becuase all eyes were on Jeff and not Glen prantzing arround the stage.

Monstermile
05-18-2005, 08:06 PM
yeah, we will find something to agree on one day. and my mistake for saying you considered Korn metal. yeah, they do have a big following. but, we do have similar tastes in metal. nothing like a rant to get things going. ha ha, it was bound to happen in this thread sometime. speaking of Summer Sanitarium, was Sepultura a part of that tour? i remember hearing they were on that tour along with Slayer. they were never the same when Max left.

No neither Sepultura or Slayer were on SS. In 99 when I saw it, it was Metallica (of course), Korn, SOAD, PM5000 and Kid Rock. In 03 it was Metallica (duh), Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit (yuk), Deftones and Mudvayne.

vader121
05-19-2005, 09:23 AM
Kid Rock, please, that waste of oxygen needs to go back to the trailer park. Sorry if some of you like him but Singing country duets is inexcusable.

Metal music is whatever you consider to be metal music. There are no clear lines of which bands are in that category and which aren't. Some may consider heavy riffs in some Korn songs as metal and some don't. When Korn first came out they were considered 'Alternative' (remember that term?). I also remember liking Dryvin N Cryin back in the late 80's and they were considered 'Alternative'. Some bands that are considered Hard Rock or even straight Rock do have some heavy songs that could creep into the Metal category. Ex. Weezer's 'hashpipe'. It has a heavey riff that is metal-like but they are pretty cemented into being 'Alternative' or 'New Wave'.

I also don't consider ACDC as metal. Never have. That is straght, in your face, hard rock. Dream Theater is a mix of just about everything but they make it work and I really dig it.
I myself do not like Death Metal where I can't make out the lyrics and they sing about disgusting things. That's just trying to get attention in my opinion. I mean for some of them it works because they sell a lot of records. Ex. Cannibal Corpse (from Buffalo btw) has a pretty big fan-base and that's all they do is play stuff that is real nasty but some poeple love it.

I used to like Danzig but kinda soured on them a bit. For every good song there were several that just didn nothing for me. I had all their cassettes back in the day but now don't own a single cd by them. Guitarist was pretty good and in some songs sounded great. Maybe I'll get back into them someday.

Bossk77
05-19-2005, 10:44 PM
What i dont get is people that say they like Metal or a band beucase of the bands look or image. Metal is about the music first, in my opinion. Image can be cool but if the sound sucks who really cares. BTW i think i saw a Helloween mention earlyer. lol nice.

arctangent
05-20-2005, 08:53 AM
Fear Factory rocks live! see them if you can. Raymond just about pounds the bass drum heads off.

i would agree with that. i have seen them five times and they are always excellent. and always heavy as a very heavy thing! i was glad to see them get back together as they still have a pretty unique sound.

Bossk77
05-21-2005, 01:46 AM
I can totally blow you guys away with this one. I actually saw a Omish Metal band play. They're set concisted of hay bales, a scare crow and butter churn. They were all dressed up and everything. How they practice back home on the farm i dont know, but they were pretty good believe it or not. Got to love the beards!!!!!:beard:

darko666
05-22-2005, 02:58 AM
what is the name of the Omish metal band? i'm curious to see if they have any info on the internet. i would like to hear their music.

Bossk77
05-22-2005, 02:09 PM
It was five years ago when i was in collage.... I will look for the ticket and or try to remember the name. It was a truly different experience in Metal. It was something omish or Omish something....

Bossk77
06-01-2005, 09:03 PM
Ok lets get this started up again...

Monstermile
06-01-2005, 09:36 PM
Was this band called The Amish Armada??

Bossk77
06-01-2005, 09:41 PM
Was this band called The Amish Armada??

May have been.. it has been almost 7 years since i saw them. I want to say Angry Amish... but i dont honestly remember the name.

JimJamBonds
06-01-2005, 11:59 PM
Anybody out there hear of Beatallica? They are a band from Milwaukee, Wi and in a nutshell they take songs from Metallica and the Beatles , put new lyrics and play them "Metallica style" with heavy guitars and pounding drums. Its very funny... and VERY well done. These guys are actually good musicians. The guy that is the lead singer/rhythem guitar player Jaymz Lenfield does an awesome Hetfield. My favorite song is "Hey Dude."

http://www.beatallica.com/

Jim Jam

Bossk77
06-02-2005, 12:13 AM
not my bag man. ...... I need new music.. i hate being poor.:cry:

mabudonicus
06-02-2005, 08:45 AM
Yes that Beatallica stuff is hilarious and really well executed, I came across it a year or so ago and had a CD of it within a week...
I like "got to get you trapped under ice" too, and "Sandman"

basschick
06-02-2005, 09:12 AM
megadeath
ozzy
system of a down
anthrax
older metallica
otep (yes, i do like newer metal)
slayer
old white zombie (YEAH!)
immolation
korn
morbid angel
the list goes on and on...

strangely the pit i got damaged in was prong at the roxy - go figure!

i never got into that much judas priest till a friend wanted to start a cover band. those songs are too much fun to play :) -especially electric eye. and i love older alice cooper (i own love it to death and a couple others from that period) but i guess i don't consider it metal.

JimJamBonds
06-02-2005, 09:12 AM
Yes that Beatallica stuff is hilarious and really well executed, I came across it a year or so ago and had a CD of it within a week...
I like "got to get you trapped under ice" too, and "Sandman"

AWESOME! Both execellent choices there! Sgt. Hetfield's Motorbreath Pub Band is another favorite of mine.