PDA

View Full Version : Are you going to call in sick to see Episode III?

JediTricks
05-16-2005, 01:58 PM
With the final Star Wars film opening this Thursday, it is estimated that American businesses will lose over $600 million due to employees taking the day off to see Episode III. If you are reading this, chances are good that you too will be taking Thursday the 19th off of work or school because you're... uh... sick, yeah, that's it, you're not *cough cough* feeling well at all.

So, with Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith being released this Thursday, are you going to play hookey to see the movie?

dindae
05-16-2005, 02:39 PM
Hey JT could you make a "if you used a vacation day" option? and if so could you move my vote from "yes" to that. I wasn't planning on missing work but after I bought the tickets then I started to realize that if I see the movie at 12:01 and the movie is 2:20 plus the 10 minutes of previews, then talking about the movie with friends for a bit, then driving home should put me at 3:00am. Since I get up at 6:15 to get to work the more I thought about it the less I wanted to do it so I firgured I had the time so I took it. Who knows maybe I'll get up and see it again if the mood strikes me. :D

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
05-16-2005, 02:49 PM
If I had tickets for the Thursday night showing then I would probably take a day off. I can't function well unless I get a minimum of 6 hours sleep. However, I have tickets for an 11:00 p.m. showing on Friday night which means I will not have to take off work on that day nor the next (cuz I don't work the next morning).

kool-aid killer
05-16-2005, 03:02 PM
I voted "Nope, why bother?" because i plan on using my vacation hours on Thursday, and even a take a couple of hours off on Wed. so that i can go wait in line at the cinema. Im so stoked, its just days away!

waboritas
05-16-2005, 03:14 PM
Nope, why bother. Although I can't wait to see the movie, it is not worth sleep deprivation or a vacation day to see it Thursday at midnight or day. I have plans Thursday night. I work Friday and am going to Billy Idol Friday night. Depending how drunk and stupid I get at Idol, I may go out and catch a late showing Friday night, otherwise I will see it on Saturday or Sunday.

Slicker
05-16-2005, 04:51 PM
I voted "Nope, why bother?" because my supervisor is gonna let me take a long lunch and I even think he's gonna go with me and a couple of other guys to see it. Only 2 days left.

Jedibill
05-16-2005, 05:17 PM
I took a vacation this week :)

steeltormentor69
05-16-2005, 05:25 PM
I bribed my boss. He let me have off if I bought him a ticket also for the 12:01 showing on wedneday.

chrisc
05-16-2005, 06:20 PM
I start leave tomorrow. My commander asked why, and I told it was to spend time with my girlfriend. At the end of the the day yesterday he came and told me he had found me out. We are both Star Wars fans, it just sucks we can't hang out after work.

darko666
05-16-2005, 06:43 PM
Nope, why bother.

being i'm leaving for Florida on monday to go to my last year of college, i did my last day of work on friday. so i have this whole week off to see episode III and enjoy it before i leave. can't wait. \m/

realst8guy72
05-16-2005, 07:31 PM
dont need to call in sick because i work out of my house so i have the luxury of doing whatever i damn well please:p

LusiferSam
05-16-2005, 07:32 PM
Why brother indeed. There are several reasons for me. First and most importantly I'm a grad research assistant. I'm free to set my own hours with only two rules I need to follow: Work on the projects my advisor ask to me and don't exceed x number of hours per week (its floating number for every term and I don't yet know her budget for this semester).

Second I hate the crowds on the opening weekend. When I go to a movie I want to watch it. I don't want to hear people talking, cheering, booing, etc. I don't want to see people dressed up either. And I hate the lines.

Sidiously Darth
05-16-2005, 08:31 PM
I voted no, why bother. My reasoning, I have Wednesday and Thursday off. So there's no need to call in.

sith_killer_99
05-16-2005, 09:10 PM
Well, I voted "nope, why bother", truth be told I can't call in sick. Uncle Sam won't allow it. If I want a "sicK day" I have to get dressed, come in to work on time, report to "sick call" sit around until a Dr. can see me and if I'm lucky get out of the Hospital by 10:30 am. Even then I have to be put on "quarters" by a Dr. and then I am required to stay home. If I were to be caught at a movie while on "quarters" I could face UCMJ and possibly lose rank. So, I will wait until Saturday.

I could have put in for leave and taken a day or two off, but I really don't want to contend with the lines, not after CIII. The local theater does not do advanced ticket sales and I would ahve to drive a long way to find a theater that did. Besides, I have never seen a Star Wars movie on opening day, so I will keep with the tradition. :)

BigBuck71
05-16-2005, 11:26 PM
Well, I requested the 19th off over two weeks ago at work. I got my ticket for the 12:01am midnight show on the 19th too. So, I have voted "no, why bother" because I am off already on the 19th. I will see Episode 3 at the midnight show, and then may go again later that day since I have it off. :D

Triplesaber
05-16-2005, 11:27 PM
im considering it, but most probably ill be too tired n sleepy to come to office the next day. Im frm malaysia, i planned to watch it back to bcak, but couldnt get the 1st screening ticket. The 1st screening here is 11pm 18th may (tomorrow). I got a ticket for a 3rd show, hlaf an hour later.

JediTricks
05-17-2005, 12:01 AM
You guys are too literal, but Steve agreed with you so there's now an "Other" category, and I've added 3 votes to it.

Like realst8guy72, I work from home, but I voted "Yes" because really I *should* be working. :p steeltormentor69 had the best idea though, bribe the boss with a ticket. :D

Bossk77
05-17-2005, 12:03 AM
Most of my clan is going to see it after work on friday. My daughter is amped. More power to 2 year olds, and those who act like them..... I hope there is an ACKBAR cameo... woo hoo!

plasticfetish
05-17-2005, 01:47 AM
I voted, "Probably not, I'll get in trouble." Not because it would be a problem if I missed work on Thursday, but because my son can't cut school. Of all the days, they've decided to go on a fieldtrip to the big city library on Thurday. (Lame.) I would have let him skip school for this...

I think he may be "sick" on Friday though, so we'll go see a late show Thursday night. :)

2-1B
05-17-2005, 01:59 AM
I voted Other because I took some Vac. time for half of Wed night and all of Thursday night . . . however had my Vac. been denied, yes I would be calling in. :)

scruffziller
05-17-2005, 09:35 AM
Any half way decent SW fan made plans to be off on May 18/19 way back months ago.:)

CaptainSolo1138
05-17-2005, 09:44 AM
I might call in. I called in on Monday, so it'll be a tough call.

The 'Xir
05-17-2005, 10:13 AM
Any half way decent SW fan made plans to be off on May 18/19 way back months ago.:)

I'm still trying to figure out how Decency has anything to do with it! ;) :D (although I know what you mean) However, I voted nope, and not because I wouldn't bother('cause I already have) but only because I set my own hours at work, so If I want to take 3 hours off to go see the movie I will and can! :D :p Now wether that's the decent thing to do who knows, but I am going to see this movie no matter what! :greedy: Got my tickets the other day for the Midnight showing and I'll probably go see it atleast once if not twice more during the day! :cool: MTFBWY...Always!...and Enjoy the Movie!!! IT'S FINALLY HERE!!! YIPPEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!! :classic:

OC47150
05-17-2005, 11:43 AM
I'm using what's called a 'dependability day.' We used to be rewarded with a day off if we had perfect attendance for the quarter or year. That program's been eliminated but I still have a few of the days sitting there.

Hey, I can't be out to 3 in the morning and be expected to be productive at 8:30 any more. Ten years ago, yes, but not now.

sjd9299
05-17-2005, 12:18 PM
I am a school teacher and calling in really is not an option for me. Especially since my principal got tickets for midnight aswell. he will probably not be in thursday but I will have to be. Maybe I'll just make that day a fun Star Wars day or something. Some of the kids will probably be there with me. They should just cancel school. So, it's in bed by 3:00 up at 7:00. Not so bad, I've had to do it before. It will be fun. I'll be there in my custom made Gamorrean Guard costume. I'm SOOO COOL!

OC47150
05-17-2005, 12:26 PM
My buddy is a school teacher, too, and will be in the same boat as you.

dindae
05-17-2005, 12:34 PM
I'm using what's called a 'dependability day.' We used to be rewarded with a day off if we had perfect attendance for the quarter or year.

I find it funny that you can use a "depenability day" to not show up. :D

jedi-cpa
05-17-2005, 02:15 PM
I said yes, but it's actually a vacation day. Everyone would be onto me.

Lobito
05-17-2005, 02:41 PM
I voted "OTHER" cuzz the swfanclub gave me a pass to go see the movie today at 8:00pm. Like Watto said... "Can u beat that?"

Peace mes amis!! :D

trandoshan666
05-17-2005, 05:51 PM
I voted "nope, why bother" because I saw midnight screenings for the other two prequels, and I worked the entire next day on those occasions. Why should this one be any different? Besides, I know for a fact that my boss and at least one co-worker are going at midnight, and they'll be at work Thursday, too.

Mace Windex
05-17-2005, 07:29 PM
Cough, cough. I feel the WOOKIE Flu coming on.
Actually, I asked for the day off. No sense coming in to work on about three hours of sleep.
Mace :D

bobafrett
05-17-2005, 07:31 PM
I clicked on "other" because I just switched my days off. I work retail, so we work 7 days and I opted to have Wednesday and Thursday off instead of Tuesday and Wednesday. It doesn't matter because I work in the backroom, building bikes for Wal-Mart.

Bacta Beast
05-17-2005, 11:10 PM
I just took it off.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-17-2005, 11:58 PM
well, i have to work @11 am on thursday, but i'm seeing the Midnight showing in Columbus and have to drive back to Ohio U, so i won't be home till 4 am or later. I'm REALLY debating calling in sick, but so many people want me to tell them how the movie is going to be. I might just take the write up and not go on. :crazed:

CaptainSolo1138
05-18-2005, 10:51 AM
A guy in my office took it off under the pretense of a "Religious Holiday". He did the same thing for the last two, knowing the uber-PC bosses won't question it.

trandoshan666
05-18-2005, 05:47 PM
A guy in my office took it off under the pretense of a "Religious Holiday". He did the same thing for the last two, knowing the uber-PC bosses won't question it.

Sounds like a pretty cool gig if you can get it!:D

Mad Slanted Powers
05-18-2005, 07:07 PM
I voted other because I scheduled vacation days for Thursday and Friday. I never use sick days, so if I didn't have it off, I just would have waited until the next night to see it at a more reasonable time. I've never been to a midnight premiere before, so I wanted to make sure I had the days off. I'll recover on Thursday and then go again Friday morning.

JediTricks
05-18-2005, 09:57 PM
"It's Darth Vader's barmitzvah! Today, he becomes a man... well, a robot-man. Oi!" ;)

CaptainSolo1138
05-19-2005, 09:37 AM
Mazel Tov! Is that even how it's spelled? Jeez, what a long nite. The brain has stopped for the day (and it's only quarter to 10!).

Darth Jax
05-19-2005, 08:43 PM
nope, why bother for me. got into bed little after 3.30 from seeing the midnite showing. was up at 5.30am getting ready for work and just got home after working til 6.30pm. was a really long day, but worth it.