PDA

View Full Version : Quick Draw Clone...how I loath thee!

sith_killer_99
05-16-2005, 09:34 PM
It seems to have become the bane of my existance. I hate thing figure with a passion! It's everywhere I go, taunting me...laughing at me...laughing at me...laughing at me!

"from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee!"

Who's with me? Anyone?

Well, OK, maybe it's just me...and I can live with that. I hate this figure.

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice enough sculpt. They paint application seems to be pretty good for the most part. It comes with a removable shoulder armor plate with new Imperial logo which is a cool new feature.

My problem is Hasbro's execution of this figure. First of all they killed it for me by giving it a lame action feature. I will never be able to bring myself to "Army Build" with this figure, not when I know that #41 is soo much better. Why does Hasbro do this to us?

First the CT Stormtrooper was hard to find, sure they released him in subsequent lines, but always in limited amounts. They gave us an "Army Builder pack, but try finding it for less than $25.00 plus shipping. Then along comes SAGA and they decide to give us a Red Clone instead of the basic White. They put out the SA Clone for Clone Wars but production was a joke! So they give us "Army Builder" sets that cost an arm and a leg. Now they give us a basic Clone and stick a lousy action feature inside it. :rolleyes: Then wait until #41 to give us what we want! How hard will this thing be to find...VERY!

If Hasbro were smart they would ship #41 in solid cases!

So round and round I go hunting from store to store, plenty of Clones to be found and all of them that horrible #6 action feature Clone. Few people seem to want it, and fewer still go out and build armies with it, especially when the SA Clone is on the verge of hitting wide distribution. Each time I see a Clone I wonder is this the one, only to be disappointed.

Well, enough of my ranting, who's with me? :Pirate:

Sith Lord 0498
05-16-2005, 09:59 PM
I hate to say it, but I'm on the opposite side here. I think ROTS #6 is fantastic and actually better than #41 in many respects. The quick draw action feature doesn't hinder the sculpt at all. It's great for army building. I have about 6 or 7 of them already. Some I've customized with Shocktrooper markings or my own designs, and most of them have actually fire-induced battle damage.

My favoritism of this stems largely not from the positive attributes of ROTS #6 but rather from the shortcomings of ROTS #41, which I will give.

1) It's much harder to find than #6 (although I know that will change in the very near future).

2) The "dirt marks" are horrible. They are so uniform and repetitious that they don't look realistic. No scuff/dirt marks are so precise.

3) The hole left behind when the communications backpack is removed is visually distracting.

There's my two cents. I'm sure there'll be more advocates for both sides of this.

JediTricks
05-17-2005, 01:34 AM
I have 5 CT#6s, and I think they're alright, they can hold a lot of poses, and their legs even have more range of motion than the SA Clones'. For some reason, Hasbro has a hate-on with waist articulation on the Clone Trooper figures this go-round, the CT#6 and Clone Commander both don't have waist articulation even though CT#6 has the exact same gimmick as Anakin 28 and a few others who DO have fully-working waist articulation. Plus, I could find them, that's a major step up from the CT#41 who is still incredibly hard to find because everybody is going nuts for them. CT#6 has a decent sculpt (both 6 and 41 are a bit soft in the body sculpts, so neither has an advantage here), a clean paint job, 2 weapons, a swappable shoulder armor, and full range of motion in the arms, I can't see what's not to like except that he's not #41.

beckmen
05-17-2005, 02:40 AM
#41 edges out becuase of the great waist articulation, but I agree that #6 has some advantages over it.

Fluke Skywalker
05-17-2005, 02:45 AM
I fought the urge to buy up a mess of #6's at MM and instead wait and take the chance that Hasbro would produce enough #41's to meet demand.

#6 just never looked right to me. The shoulders look funky and he stands kinda funny. Sunday I finally found my first #41 and I think I made the right choice. It's better, maybe significantly better IMHO, than #6. I just hope future shipments include more than 1 per case :nerv:

Sith Lord 0498 is right, though, the battle damage is a little weak, but doesn't detract much to me.

mm74md
05-17-2005, 08:37 AM
I like them both. I actually have a bunch of #6 clones on layaway and added 6 #41's to that same layaway last week. They are both great in their own way.

X13VADER
05-17-2005, 09:37 AM
Sorry I Build Armies And I Like Him Very Much.moves Great Imho. And I Love The Imperial Shoulder Plate. I Have 40 Of Them Now. And I Also Have A Few #41 That I Like.but As Far As The Action Feature Wrecking This Figure No Way.

Jayspawn
05-17-2005, 10:07 AM
I have to disagree with sithkiller99 on this one also. The Cone Trooper #6 is one of my favorite Star Wars figures ever! I have about 10 of them now. They're great for scene building, and I've gotten them into a number of cool action poses. I realy like them and I hope Hasbro keeps shipping them with future asortments.

AmanaMatt
05-17-2005, 10:13 AM
#41 edges out becuase of the great waist articulation, but I agree that #6 has some advantages over it.

Hey, I am very happy with both, actually....but saying #41 is worse than #6 is crazy talk! My only gripe (really) with #6 is the shoulders - too bulky.

tgr3328
05-17-2005, 11:10 AM
I'm with you guys who like the #6 trooper. He has lots of articulation, he's very poseable, and has a good sculpt. The action feature doesn't get in the way. The only drawback is that there is no waist articulation and if you raise his left arm too high, the shoulder armor pops off.

beckmen
05-17-2005, 01:07 PM
He doesn't look right holding his large blaster without his waist slightly rotated. That's why 41 is a bit better. He looks awesome holding the large blaster (not his, CCs I gave him).

Both 6 and 41 can be posed nicely. 6 is in a kind of dumb pose in the bubble, and looks kind of goofy, but he's got a lot of poses that don't look goofy at all.

tgr3328
05-17-2005, 01:16 PM
I haven't found #41 yet, but I can't imagine it being anything but better than #6. And #6 is not bad at all.

Mandalorian Candidat
05-17-2005, 01:18 PM
I haven't cracked open any 6s yet but I could see why some people would be ticked about the action feature from the standpoint of diminished poseability. It would have been nice to release a ton of 41s at MM to ensure that everyone would get some but hey, it's Hasbro. I like the dirty, scuffed up look of the 41s. All the stills from EP3 that have been released show the troopers with dinged armor and not perfect like the OT versions so the realism makes it nice.

I haven't had a hard time finding them yet. I was at the right place and the right time and grabbed 4, though I could have bought more.

JediTricks
05-17-2005, 10:27 PM
He doesn't look right holding his large blaster without his waist slightly rotated. That's why 41 is a bit better. He looks awesome holding the large blaster (not his, CCs I gave him). I have one of my CT6s in a kneeling pose holding the rifle, it looks really great and is very stable, and unlike the SA clones, CT6's hip joints aren't being warped by this.

bigbarada
05-18-2005, 12:20 PM
I don't mind the Quick-Draw Clonetrooper at all and I'm not too excited about the Super-Articulated one either (I haven't seen the SA version in stores yet and, while I am keeping my eyes peeled, I'm not obsessing over him).

So far, my favorite Clonetrooper figure has got to be the Clone Commander. I really like the paint schemes on these guys and plan to build a small squad of elite clones. I might even create my very own "blaster-damaged" dead-Jedi figures so my clones can have something to be proud of. :cool:

As for the SA Clone, I'll most likely pick up one or two, but will probably hold out and see what future paint schemes Hasbro offers. I'm really hoping to see the Shocktrooper paint scheme.

AmanaMatt
05-18-2005, 12:38 PM
...I haven't seen the SA version in stores yet and, while I am keeping my eyes peeled, I'm not obsessing over him).

...I'm really hoping to see the Shocktrooper paint scheme.

In addition to the #41 clone wave hitting Targets, they hit the Dallas area at my local Walmarts - having been in California my whole life, it is shocking to be able to find the #41 Clone on pegs at 5 pm.....as to the Shocktrooper scheme, I want to see that too - as well as all of 'em.

As to the Clone trooper #41 critics: the dirt scheme is barely noticeable. The slot that is left if you choose not insert the communication thingy is a small slit that is not an issue at all, at least to me. My only gripe with #41, the neck should have been black, but nothing my acrylic set at home did not fix.

jedi master sal
05-18-2005, 02:39 PM
Bah, I prefer 6 over 41 for much of the same reasons as others:

the dirt on 41 IS unifrom from one 41 to another. So setting them up in a scene/diorama looks way to fake. If it had been made clean, well then different story. But I too am disturbed by the slot in the back. The AOTC clones have the fin on the back that act as a communicatiuons array. As I know it (and I could be wrong here) the curved fin serves the same purpose. So why the need for the antennae? Also, that big neck ball joint does bother me.

It's too much to have to FIX to make it right. I've only got the one 41. If I find more I'll get more, but I'm not army building this one.

I'm quite happy with my 70 #6 clones.

beckmen
05-18-2005, 03:15 PM
70 #6s? Holy Jesus on a jet-ski, that's A LOT!

samskull
05-18-2005, 09:51 PM
I hate Trooper 41's huge balls....ah... neck joint, but he can dance well, and Trooper 6's birthing hips belong on Padme. But I'm just glad to see those white bastiches on the pegs....

I only ever found maybe six Stormtroopers on the pegs through the Commtech, Saga, OTC, and VOTC lines, and never any SA or Clone Wars Builder packs.

Whichever Trooper comes along may he bring plenty of his brothers to the toy hunting fire-fight!

sith_killer_99
09-14-2005, 08:06 PM
Well, I have decided to update this thread.

Seeing as how Hasbro has decided that the gimmick Clone (AKA #6) is to be the "standard" for most Clones.

Now we have:

Vanilla Clone #6
Shock Trooper Clone #6
501st K-Mart exclusive box set of Clones #6 (again)

and it appears that the upcoming #65 Tactical Ops Clone (501st single carded) will also be a re-card of #6.

I just don't get it! Why use this substandard hunk of plastic with it's weak right shoulder joint that will inevitable become so loose as to render it useless, and his cheesy squeezy legs? The Super Articulated Clone was a much better choice IMO. Now we are stuck with a bunch of cool painted Clones on a poorly designed figures.:(

In case you guessed, no Clone Army Building for SK99.

That just leaves more money for my OT Army, which is doing great! Now if I could just find some of those Evolution sets to build up my Sandtrooper Army. I guess I will have a lot of trade fodder with those Clones that come with each set. LOL :D

JediTricks
09-14-2005, 08:23 PM
I haven't had *any* trouble with my #6's shoulders, and they're holding some pretty specific poses. The shoulder holds any position I want simply by pushing the opposite way of the gimmick, it friction-slips internally but never loosens.

My guess is that the #6 with its superior hip articulation is the go-to clone for repaints because it is a gimmick figure which kids like (supposedly) and because of the lack of torso/waist articulation the assembly is cheaper (although I would think the gimmick would counter that, but they have been hitting the #6 a lot); the lack of separate pieces in the torso's exterior also means less gaps to worry about when painting (and the #41 has a gap in the back that'd be a problem for paint as well). Plus, I can't stress enough how poorly I think of the #41's hip articulation, it's a figure that can't take but half a step forwards without the joint getting messed up.

Blackened88
09-14-2005, 10:26 PM
When I first seen this figure back in April I refused to buy it and thought it was terrible. Now I have more #6's then any other clone, I was wrong to judge this fig before buying one but I really do like this fig. I don't mind at all if most Clone repaints do use the #6 Clone body, I also really like 41 though. So to me it dosen't matter which Clone body they use just as long as they use these two bodys and not 38, of course I somewhat consider the Clone Commander to be 41 just simply without waist.

Devo
09-15-2005, 10:12 AM
Much to my surprise I found 2 shock trooper #6 figures at a 'regular' toy store - ie. the kind of store that overbuys the initial 2 waves of figures from a movie year and then stops outright when sales cease. Now this particular store by my observations has only ever had ROTS figures 1-12 plus 26(tarful),27(obi-wan) and 28(anakin), and 33(clone commander), 34(clone pilot),35(palpatine) and 36(Grievous). What other figures would have shipped with the shock trooper? Surely there should have been some new figures that I haven't seen on every single previous visit to that store.

Kidhuman
09-15-2005, 11:13 AM
I believe it is crispy anakin wave that shipped with the shocktrooper. That or the Zett /Bail/U Warriror wave.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-15-2005, 04:28 PM
Interesting how most of the posts were before ROTS came out - you know, when everyone realized it was pointless to have more than about 5 plain white clones. ;) :D

I like both #6 and #41. The head sculpt on 41 is better, though the neck joint is huge and you can pretty much always see some of the ball under his helmet no matter the pose. The downside to 6 is the HUGE shoulder pads. I don't have any of the repaints of #6 but they look good to me. I don't really care which one they use for figures in the future.

Reverend Strone
10-12-2005, 07:29 PM
I'm no fan of #6, though I have begrudgingly bought a bunch of them in the form of the shocktrooper variant, and will have even more when I get my various battlepacks. My biggest beef with this guy is his child-bearing hips. After some beautiful AOTC clones and all the other clone or stormtrooper figures which have had superior sculpts, the huge hips on this guy seem inexcusable to me. I can only assume it is a side-effect of the quick-draw feature, which, as a collector rather than a kid, has no appeal to me anyway. I can see that Hasbro have tried to satisfy both markets by offering #41 as an alternative for us older gys, but when all the cool variants are #6s, I feel annoyed at having to buy a figure I don't realy care for (okay- no one is forcing me, but you know what I mean).

sith_killer_99
10-12-2005, 08:41 PM
Well if it makes you feel any better the only #6 Clones are the Shock Trooper and the K-Mart Jedi Temple Assault. All the others are from different Clones like the Deluxe Jetpack Clone, etc.

I agree with you on the hips from the #6 Clone, stupid gimmicks!:mad:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-12-2005, 08:51 PM
After getting both the #6 Shock trooper and the #41 Commander Gree, I must say there are definite pros and cons to each. Well, actually, the only pro for the #6 is his leg articulation, which, as JT said, is terrible on #41. The waist articulation just adds so much to the figure, as he can hunch over a little like in the movie as he holds either gun. I will still buy any future repaints of #6, but I kind of like #41 more.

Reverend Strone
10-12-2005, 09:21 PM
Well if it makes you feel any better the only #6 Clones are the Shock Trooper and the K-Mart Jedi Temple Assault. All the others are from different Clones like the Deluxe Jetpack Clone, etc.

Really? That's good news. I had though the new 501st Clone carded figure and the grey guys in the Attack on Coruscant Battlepack were #6s as well. I'll be happy if they aren't. :)

#41 just feels more natural to me somehow.

sith_killer_99
10-13-2005, 04:58 AM
The Attack on Coruscant Clones are re-paints of the Deluxe Jetpack Clone.

jedi master sal
10-13-2005, 08:33 AM
The Attack on Coruscant Clones are re-paints of the Deluxe Jetpack Clone.

Which is a suck mold if you ask me. Cripes I wanted to army build these in the worst way. But getting them and seeing they were the deluxe clone, bah, I've stopped getting more sets of these...(I was going to get 11 sets, when I thought they were either the #6 or 41 mold)

sith_killer_99
10-13-2005, 11:06 AM
I was going to get 11 sets, when I thought they were either the #6 or 41 mold

:eek: You were seriously going to drop $220.00 on these?!?!?:eek:

You need help.;)

jedi master sal
10-13-2005, 12:28 PM
:eek: You were seriously going to drop $220.00 on these?!?!?:eek:

You need help.;)

Yeah, that's what the voices in my mind tell me too...ha ha.

Seriously though, if they'd have been #41s or even #6s, yeah, I would have. Now that there is a variant pack with all 5 grey clones (no bacara repaint), I might have even bought more.

Here's the pic of the variant:
http://www.yakface.com/jayson/CAOCvariant.jpg

Hasbro's loss though.

Reverend Strone
10-13-2005, 01:39 PM
Wow- and I thought I had the bug bad. Your commitment seriously impresses me. Are you married by chance? ;)

The all grey variant is another nail in the coffin for me. Deluxe repaint or not, I'm going to have to hunt that down now too- curses!

Anyone know how common those variants are?

Thanks for the info! :)

El Chuxter
10-13-2005, 04:47 PM
I actually saw the white #6 last night, along with some #41's. I knew the white #41 was still shipping, but didn't realize #6 was as well. At least without the red details. :confused:

Blackened88
10-13-2005, 06:23 PM
I didn't know about a Coruscant variant, doesn't matter though I'm not gonna buy that one either. Maybe if it was 6 or 41 but not the deluxe.

jedi master sal
10-14-2005, 07:47 AM
Wow- and I thought I had the bug bad. Your commitment seriously impresses me. Are you married by chance? ;)

Why you asking? ha ha ha

I'm engaged and she's a collector too. Not SW, but completely understands the "obsession." Case in point, She just last week bought a whole case of the new Marvel Legends figs-Sentinel wave.

We've both got good jobs, no kids and just the regular bills, so thankfully that allows us to collect pretty much how we want to.

Oh and with my latest clone battle pack purchase, I've surpassed the 300 ROTS clones mark. (And yes, there's still plenty of clones in my area to be had) Though as yet I can't find a Gree or either Bly variant to save me...

LTBasker
10-14-2005, 08:46 AM
I actually saw the white #6 last night, along with some #41's. I knew the white #41 was still shipping, but didn't realize #6 was as well. At least without the red details. :confused:

Yup, it is. It's a bit disappointing too, I've been hoping to find a good amount of the red troopers and even though I found two #6 Clones at Wal-Mart from an assortment with black pilots, they were plain white Clones. :(

sith_killer_99
10-14-2005, 10:42 AM
Yeah, vanilla #6 is all over the place out here, along with #41. To date I have found and bought 14 Shock Troopers. That's just buying 1-2 here and there. Still there seems to be more of the white #6 than the Red #6.

This is the first I have heard of the all gray Coruscant Attack pack. It looks like I will have to hunt that one down as well.

jedi master sal
10-14-2005, 12:55 PM
Yeah, vanilla #6 is all over the place out here, along with #41. To date I have found and bought 14 Shock Troopers. That's just buying 1-2 here and there. Still there seems to be more of the white #6 than the Red #6.

This is the first I have heard of the all gray Coruscant Attack pack. It looks like I will have to hunt that one down as well.

14 Shocktroopers huh? I'm trying to build an army of 17 of them for 3 planned dioramas and am way short still. Can you hook me up at all?

El Chuxter
10-14-2005, 02:03 PM
Now my suspicions are confirmed, and I know why I can't find these guys very easily. :)

sith_killer_99
10-14-2005, 06:59 PM
jedi master sal you have a PM. :thumbsup:

jedi master sal
10-16-2005, 06:39 PM
jedi master sal you have a PM. :thumbsup:

Answered and thanks!