PDA

View Full Version : Who screwed up the Destroyer Droid's packaging?!?

JediTricks
05-17-2005, 02:00 AM
Found a 44 Destroyer Droid today and found the manner with which Hasbro packaged the figure quite lacking. I have always felt this odd bubble shape would cause trouble along these lines, but here it is downright abysmal. The droideka is packaged with most of the figure hidden behind the tray insert nameplate, the legs are folded down to accomodate this, and the rear leg and top of the body even have to pass through the tray. The head is packaged laying against the chest, and this was accomplished by having the head totally removed from the body and wedged into a different cavity in the tray, the top of which where the back of the head rests is downright HUGE, way more than needed to accomodate the head. Both missiles are in their own cavities in the tray, but both are mainly hidden behind various graphics, and the top 3rd of the bubble remains totally empty which looks awful.

I don't get why they went this route, it doesn't show off the figure well AT ALL, it doesn't show off the accessories, and it didn't have to be this way, the body could have been turned sideways and the arm facing the card could have been removed to make room. What a mess.

plasticfetish
05-17-2005, 02:16 AM
That's really funny. I'm uploading carded pics to the DB right now, and as I was shooting them I was thinking, "That's not much to look at, is it?"

sjd9299
05-17-2005, 12:33 PM
You are right, looks like crap. They should never have let this one go looking so bad.

CrunchyNug
05-17-2005, 12:38 PM
These are toys right? I believe Hasbro's intent was for little kids to open them and play with them. I can't believe people are complaining about how figures are packaged now. You obviously can't please everyone.

Kenobi
05-17-2005, 12:41 PM
These are toys right? I believe Hasbro's intent was for little kids to open them and play with them. I can't believe people are complaining about how figures are packaged now. You obviously can't please everyone.

Tee hee lol

Mandalorian Candidat
05-17-2005, 01:48 PM
I totally disagree. Part of the appeal of the item is how it's packaged. If something is really difficult to free from its plastic coffin or looks bad on the pegs, there is a diminished likelihood that it will get bought by nonhardcore collectors. If you go to buy some meat from the butcher but it's packaged weird or wrapped in newspaper you probably won't get it. I can see someone being less interested in the Droideka figure cause it just doesn't look appealing in the package.

Ji'dai
05-17-2005, 03:11 PM
As a loose collector I don't really care a lot about package presentation, especially if a complex packaging style raises cost. I collect toys not packaging. But after seeing it in person, this particular figure doesn't work well in this packaging. However, I do prefer the ROTS bubble's slimmer profile over the humongous SAGA bubble.

Hasbro could have just (re)released the Destroyer Droid as a Deluxe figure and the Jetpack Clone as a basic figure. The droideka would've had more elbow room in a Deluxe bubble.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-17-2005, 04:56 PM
I agree that the way he's packaged looks like crap. But I really like the picture they used for the insert, since it looks like the droid's surrounded by heavy blaster fire.

While we're on the topic of this figure . . . are there any differences between this one and the 2002 Saga one?

trandoshan666
05-17-2005, 05:43 PM
I can see someone being less interested in the Droideka figure cause it just doesn't look appealing in the package.

I saw just that last night at Target, when I bought my Destroyer Droid. Two moms were taking advantage of the sale and buying SW stuff for their kids, and one of them was eyeing a Droideka, but put it down because it didn't look "cool enough" for her son. At least in some people's eyes, the way a toy's packaged does have some significance.

Turbowars
05-17-2005, 06:04 PM
These are toys right? I believe Hasbro's intent was for little kids to open them and play with them. I can't believe people are complaining about how figures are packaged now. You obviously can't please everyone.Hey man you better watch what you say around here. Who the hell do you think you are? It's a good thing I don't know you buddy!:dead:

Slicker
05-17-2005, 06:24 PM
I was just able to buy this fig today and like it's been said it leaves alot to be desired in terms of packaging. Hasbro should just expand the bubble a little bit to fit these larger figures. How can you put Polis Massan and the Destroyer Droid in the same sized bubble?

Darth Jax
05-17-2005, 07:56 PM
just opened my destroyer droid. the sculpt is the same as the Saga version. minor paint differences. the missiles included are slightly different. hope that helps Jabba.

JediTricks
05-17-2005, 10:07 PM
These are toys right? I believe Hasbro's intent was for little kids to open them and play with them. I can't believe people are complaining about how figures are packaged now. You obviously can't please everyone.The packaging is supposed to display the product in the best possible manner so that potential consumers will buy it, when a package does as bad a disservice as this one does, it fails to sell the product which can lead to more pegwarmers and less interest in the line over time. The packaging is supposed to be eye-catching, show the product correctly, and give an impression of the product being a reasonable value for the customer's money, this tray layout does none of that.

Take a look at PF's photo: http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=12230&cat=2119&page=1

Does that really look like much to the casual Star Wars buyer? I think it looks like a lot of empty space and a misshapen mass.

aceguide
05-18-2005, 08:56 AM
He looks funky in his package - but just fine out of it.

I don't think that the packaging moves a ton of product. Right now in my area Mas Ameda is the newest peg warmer - and he is very interesting to look at in the package. Casual buyers (moms) are more likely to scarf up OB1 and Anakin (which now seem to be in short supply on the pegs) than most other figures.

VaderhitsJarjar
05-18-2005, 10:09 PM
I was at my Local target last night when I overheard a child tell his mother that he didn't like the destroyer droid because of the messed up packaging -

later the same child got in trouble for breaking a glass vase and the mother told her son that she was going to force him to like the packaging.
Man -ooooMan did he cry - but I think he was ok after I saw him drive her home.

jaxx
05-20-2005, 03:42 PM
Hey man you better watch what you say around here. Who the hell do you think you are? It's a good thing I don't know you buddy!:dead:

WOW! Them's fightin' words! :ermm:
:confused: I would hope that you're joking with ChrunchyNug. If not... I'm surprised that the forum moderator would allow someone to be so confrontational, and not delete a post that has a threat with it's tone. I'm also surprised at how someone could get so offended by someone expressing his or her preference with the toys. You have people who open the toys, and don't care about the packaging, and you have those who keep them in the packaging. We are all free to express our preferences... right??!!
I'm a collector who keeps the figures in the packaging, while buying an extra here and there to open. So packaging is fairly important to me. Ultimately: though, the figure is what holds the most importance. In this case, you can't really see the figure. So the packaging is a deterrent with the droid. If the packaging isn't supposed to be important, why pay top dollar for graphic designers to come in and design exciting and interesting packaging??? Why not put the figures in a generic box that says "Star Wars" in plain type??? Because the packaging is what grabs the attention of consumers. If you can't gain the interest of consumers, you can't get them to buy the products.

LTBasker
05-20-2005, 03:48 PM
While hideous it also does a favor to Hasbro- it hides the UGLY missile slots under the hand-blasters from unfamiliar buyers.

Too bad they didn't just use the TPM sculpts with a corrected eye.

plasticfetish
05-20-2005, 03:59 PM
(I would hope that you're joking with ChrunchyNug.)

Yeah, he's just kidding around... we're all hip to Turbowars by now. :)

WesleySr
05-20-2005, 04:06 PM
Well, I picked up my Destroyer Droids the other day and I have to agree. The packaging on this figure leaves something to be desired. The figure does look great out of the package, with the exception of the 2 big missiles.

jedibear
05-20-2005, 09:31 PM
It is pretty crammed in there.
I haven't opened it...is it just a reissue of the AOTC one? I didn't care for that one because of those oversized arms to launch those silly missles. I's alost rather they reissue the EpOne version...that one wasn't bad...

WesleySr
05-21-2005, 04:19 AM
It is pretty crammed in there.
I haven't opened it...is it just a reissue of the AOTC one? I didn't care for that one because of those oversized arms to launch those silly missles. I's alost rather they reissue the EpOne version...that one wasn't bad...

I haven't compared them, but it does seem to be a reissue of the AOTC one. I also agree with you, the E1 version was definitely better.