PDA

View Full Version : 12" figure deep storage advice

Exhaust Port
05-18-2005, 11:46 AM
Ok, I'm thinking about packing up the toy display in my apartment to give me more room so my question is does anyone have any advice? I was thinking about putting each 12" figure in its own Ziploc bag along with their accessories and then laying them flat in a box then stacked up like wood. What's my best option? These could end up being in storage for a year or possibly a lot longer so I'd like to plan on the longer option.

2-1B
05-18-2005, 02:26 PM
Here's what I did recently:

I packed up my 12 inch collection last summer, moving them into a mini-storage facility from August 2004 until April 2005 . . . I did not bag them. I used sturdy Rubbermaid or Sterilite totes and all I did was lay them down gently, stacking one on top of another.

Some people might advise against that but I just unpacked them in the last 2 weeks and they are quite fine.

To be safer, yeah, you should probably bag them but really I think it's more important to use a plastic bin than a cardboard box. My collection sat in storage through the summer and winter and while the boxes I used for other stuff held up pretty well (not too much moisture consumption by the boxes) I was just more comfortable having them in totes.

I even put my binders of cards in totes and not one card got damaged from the temps it went through . . . although I did notice some ice formation underneath the totes where the concrete met the container. Had those been cardboard boxes I would have raised them off the slab via a pallet or something.

ExP, good luck with whatever you do but I think you've got a solid plan of action . . . I would just invest a few bucks in getting a better storage container instead of a box and your stacking idea should work just fine. Good luck. :)

Exhaust Port
05-18-2005, 03:23 PM
The Rubbermaid boxes are a good idea, I'll have to get a few of those as I'm going to do all my displayed action figures (Simpsons, Transformers, Robotech, etc). and a few of those items are very bulky.

Darth Cruel
05-18-2005, 04:14 PM
Three pieces of advise:

1) USE THE BAGGIES YOU MENTIONED! I stored mine for an extended time and the the paint was damaged on about 1/3 of the figures I stored due to them being against each other.

2) Don't stack them very high as they will bend under the weight over time. Particularly IG-88, OO-M9, the Battle Droid, and the Pit Droids. This happened to me and it also happened when I stored them standing up.

3) CLIMATE CONTROL! Put them in a storage unit that is protected from heat. I rented one that was inside of a building of storage units so there were other storage units on all 5 sides of mine. It worked well to keep the temperature at about 75-80 dgrees even though I live in the middle of the Mojave desert, and I didn't have to pay the higher price of a true climate-control unit.

Exhaust Port
05-18-2005, 05:37 PM
I was thinking about the stacking height today. I might try to come up with some sort of board or something that I can use to support each level of figures that I place inside. Thanks for the tips Darth Cruel.

Darth Cruel
05-18-2005, 05:53 PM
Glad to help. Also...depending on space and money constraints...you might consider buying the flat plastic storage containers that are advertised as being convenient to slip under a bed. You will be able to stack the containers fairly high and still only have the figures 1 or 2 deep in each container. I think you would be able to lay about 10 or 12 per layer in each of them. That could be a little pricy though if you have a larger number of the figures to store.

Reefer Shark
05-19-2005, 12:28 AM
Glad to help. Also...depending on space and money constraints...you might consider buying the flat plastic storage containers that are advertised as being convenient to slip under a bed. You will be able to stack the containers fairly high and still only have the figures 1 or 2 deep in each container. I think you would be able to lay about 10 or 12 per layer in each of them. That could be a little pricy though if you have a larger number of the figures to store.

That's what I use - those big, flat rubbermaid deals. Except mine are about 4 to 5 inches deep. I put 'em all in plastic bags (becuase of the paint rubbing issue), and laid them in the bins. Then I stacked the bins in a storage room. I've got about 20 of those bins full (4 full of 12" figures), and the toys are doing just fine.

So far it's worked out great for me, and it's been close to a year now. :)

Darth Cruel
05-19-2005, 09:02 AM
Reefer Shark - How many can you get into each container?

Reefer Shark
05-19-2005, 09:33 PM
It's hard to say since I never really took a count, plus some figures are bigger than others. But I want to say they can fit anywhere from 30 to 40 12'ers in each bin if you lay them right.

If my storage area wasn't such a frickin mess right now, I would bust a few bins out and take a count - but that would be a monumental job at this point. I'm such a pack-rat.......

Exhaust Port
05-19-2005, 09:35 PM
Well I've purchased 4 bins and a bunch of 1 gallon Ziplock bags so tomorrow the packing begins. Each bin is 48 quarts and I'll post how many figures fit in each.

Exhaust Port
05-20-2005, 09:58 AM
It looks like I underestimated the size of my collection so I'll have to pick up another bin or 2 today. Anyway, roughly 25 12" figures fit in each 48 quart bin. I say roughly since a lot of the figures are shaped differently so that will effect how many you can fit in. Also the 1 gallon Ziploc bags just fit most 12" figures with very little room to spare. They work but a few of the larger figures will only end up being partially bagged as I they won't fit completely in.

This will be the first time in 10-11 years that I haven't had my figures on display.

jedi master sal
05-24-2005, 02:39 PM
I suggest standing them upright in the container. Bag each one to protect from paint rubbing off/peeling, etc. Then you can fairly tightly pack the figs. Watch out for Battle droid no matter how you pack them. They seem to be the ones that warp the most (for me anyway). If you do store them standing up, stagger them according to their height. Have a short one then tll, then short, etc. They fit better that way and make for more even pressure when packed. As opposed to having them in relative height next to each other and scuffing up their shoulders.

-Sal

Exhaust Port
05-24-2005, 08:06 PM
My battle droids are beyond hope at this point unfortunately. Too bad they made them out of such weak plastic that they warp. The worst is the Geonosin warrior. That guy looks like a cripple now.

bobafrett
05-24-2005, 11:09 PM
I still have most of my 12" figures in the boxes they came in. The loose 12" figures I have fit in a sturdy box, but I have always displayed them, never stored them except for the few weeks it took me before and after the move. Sorry I can't be of much help.