PDA

View Full Version : Order 66.....hardwired command?

Sentinel18725
05-19-2005, 05:01 AM
First off.....INCREDIBLE!!!!

Now, on to other things. We have all seen what occurs with Order 66. My question, is this hardwired into the Clone Troopers as some sort of hidden agenda that is triggered by hearing that phrase? It appears that it goes into effect almost immediately after gaining his emperor title. My opinion is that it is.....

Of course I haven't played the game, read the book or comics, so I could be wrong on all of this

Opinions?

scruffziller
05-19-2005, 05:10 AM
Also, seems rather biblical too!!!:D

Sith Lord 0498
05-19-2005, 09:35 AM
Judging from what I saw and read, Order 66 is the SW equivalent of "Directive 4" in Robocop--a hidden command routine hardwired into the clones without their or anyone else's knowledge (except Palpatine and maybe Dooku)>

CaptainSolo1138
05-19-2005, 10:09 AM
Simply put: They are subordinates and their master issued a command. I don't see how anything more can be made of it.

Slicker
05-19-2005, 01:15 PM
That's how I thought of it. They're simply bred for fighting and have no allegiances except to the commanding officer giving the orders which in this case is Palpatine.

evenflow
05-19-2005, 04:18 PM
That's how I thought of it. They're simply bred for fighting and have no allegiances except to the commanding officer giving the orders which in this case is Palpatine.

Well put, my thoughts as well.

Sith Lord 0498
05-19-2005, 05:12 PM
Simply put: They are subordinates and their master issued a command. I don't see how anything more can be made of it.

I think what the original poster was getting at was the fact that all the Clones immediately knew what "Order 66" meant. Obviously, they were simply obeying their master. The groundwork for that was laid out in AOTC when Lama Su mentioned terms like "more docile", "totally obedient", and "following any order without question."

However, I doubt Palpatine actually took the commanders aside during the Clone Wars and said "Pssst!! If you ever hear me say Order 66, go kill your Jedi generals. Don't tell anyone. See you later."

The codeword had to have been conditioned into them. The Kaminoans likely did that but without knowing the substance of the order.

Monstermile
05-19-2005, 09:17 PM
I think it was already etched into their breeding as well. But how do they go from taking orders from the Jedi (namely Yoda), to taking them from Palpatine so quickly.

Slicker
05-19-2005, 09:23 PM
Simply how they were trained. You could kinda relate it to the real world by using the Italians in WWII. They "turned" on the Germans after being there ally for 4 years of war. *shrug*

I personally liked how Cody turned on Obi-Wan. It showed the ruthlessness of the order in how they seemed like friends then all of sudden he's trying to kill Ben.

moulman
05-19-2005, 10:57 PM
I thought all the scenes of the jedi being destroyed were great-the music fit perfectly with the tone of that part of the movie...

Man, I love discussing the movie, but I hate this! I cant see ROTS again this weekend:eek:

Monstermile
05-20-2005, 05:39 PM
Ok at work I got thinking about something. The Clones were originally commissioned by Jedi Master Syphadeus (sp?). Why would a Jedi put an order in their minds to kill all Jedi at the "Order 66" command?? That command was apparently implemented by Palpatine.

darko666
05-20-2005, 05:47 PM
Ok at work I got thinking about something. The Clones were originally commissioned by Jedi Master Syphadeus (sp?). Why would a Jedi put an order in their minds to kill all Jedi at the "Order 66" command?? That command was apparently implemented by Palpatine.

becuase Sifo Dyas was actually dead. how, i don't remember. Dooku used the identity of Sifo Dyas, and commisioned the building of a Republic Army.

feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

Monstermile
05-20-2005, 05:51 PM
becuase Sifo Dyas was actually dead. how, i don't remember. Dooku used the identity of Sifo Dyas, and commisioned the building of a Republic Army.

feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

That makes sense.

Sith Lord 0498
05-20-2005, 06:39 PM

Sifo-Dyas did order the clones, but Sidious ordered Dooku to kill the Jedi Master immediately after discovering the order. Dooku is the one who recruited and provided Jango Fett. Order 66 had to be hardwired after the clone source was given. Sifo-Dyas was dead by then.

El Chuxter
05-20-2005, 07:40 PM
But weren't 2/3 of the original clones dead by this point? If so, it wouldn't have to be hardwired into the original batch of clones.

And how do we know it's a hardwired command anyway? Clones answer to Jedi, Jedi answer to the Senate, the Senate answers to Palpatine. If the guy at the top has issued a command to kill your immediate superiors if there's a rebellion or insubordination or whatever, following that order doesn't mean you're programmed to.

The fact that all of the clones respond rather than just opening fire makes me think it isn't hardwired into them.

JediTricks
05-21-2005, 12:46 AM
The way they reacted with minimal information was too fast to be anything but a hardwired, or "brainwashed", command in my book. But how could that command have gotten there? The clones are created and taught by the Kaminoans who believed they were making these clones for the Jedi on behalf of the Republic, I can't imagine these same Kaminoans not proverbially raising an eyebrow over this command to kill the very Jedi order that is creating them.

kool-aid killer
05-21-2005, 01:58 AM
I think "Order 66" was a hardwired command that would take over the Clones upon being issued. You see Cody joking with Obi Wan in the movie, showing that they have a history of friendship, yet Cody doesnt hesitate to take a shot at him once the word is issued. Surely, despite it being an order, Cody would have hesitated (im not implying that he would express reluctance to the Emperor) given their history. Just my two cents.

JediTricks
05-21-2005, 04:24 AM
In some shots, just the words "order 66" was all it took for the clones to kill Jedi, I think that shows how specific the hardwired command was, they didn't need to say "order 66, kill all Jedi" to everybody for the clones to know who to kill, the clones didn't hear that and wait for instructions, they heard it and started killing specific targets.

Monstermile
05-21-2005, 05:16 AM
Also it looked like only the commanders got the command. All they had to do is notion, nod or point and their troops carried out the command. That is pretty weird.

The clones are created and taught by the Kaminoans who believed they were making these clones for the Jedi on behalf of the Republic, I can't imagine these same Kaminoans not proverbially raising an eyebrow over this command to kill the very Jedi order that is creating them.

That is what I was trying to get at earlier. Even if Dooku was impersonating Sifo Dyas the Kaminoans still thought they were making a clone army for the Republic commissioned by the Jedi.

Sith Lord 0498
05-21-2005, 08:13 AM
Also it looked like only the commanders got the command. All they had to do is notion, nod or point and their troops carried out the command. That is pretty weird.

That is what I was trying to get at earlier. Even if Dooku was impersonating Sifo Dyas the Kaminoans still thought they were making a clone army for the Republic commissioned by the Jedi.

That last point is a very good one and does complicate things. While this is really stretching the point, here's a possible explanation. Dooku and Jango were also included in the Order 66 plot. It's no secret that Jango trained the higher-ranking clonetroopers. Perhaps he conditioned them to understand the order per Dooku's orders. If anything, it would give more menace to Jango's line to Kenobi: "They'll do their job well. I guarantee that."

Like I said--stretching it very thin to cover up a potential plothole.

sith_killer_99
05-21-2005, 10:21 AM
Well, we know from the novels that the Clones are taught some things from before "birth".

We still do not know exactly why Sifo-Dyas placed the order for the Clones to begin with. Apparently he saw something in the force which propmpted it.

Remember, at this point Dooku was still a Jedi, or had just left the Jedi. Perhaps he saw something that indicated that a Jedi would be responsible for something horrible? Perhaps he saw Anakin, a Jedi Knight turn to the darkside. In any event, he obviously did not trust the Jedi, afterall he did order the Clones without the Council's knowledge!

He also ordered the Clones for the "Republic"! Why would he need to do that? Afterall the Jedi were the Guardians of Peace and Justice. Why would the Republic need more protection? To defend against the Droid Army? Maybe, maybe not, perhaps he misread the future, had a vision he didn't understand. He could have had a vision of the Jedi Council plotting against the Supreme Chancellor. Perhaps he saw this as a "Jedi uprising" and thought that the Republic (Supreme Chancellor) would need protection against the Jedi?

He obviously saw some threat, and no matter how you look at it Jedi were involved, Dooku, Anakin perhaps the Council itself. Either way the result is the same, the Republic is destroyed.

It seems reasonable to me that a security measure like "Order 66" be put into play to prevent any "Jedi Uprising".

In any event, Order 66 does seem to be hardwired into the Clones, Obi-Wan and Cody have a long history together, I find it hard to believe he would turn on Obi-Wan that quick if it weren't hardwired into him.

vulcantouch
05-21-2005, 12:47 PM
. . .sifo-dyas and dooku were always known as two Distinct people. the similiarity of them both "leaving" the jedi a decade previous doesn't explain away that fact, it only obscures it.
as for How o66 could work, see TNG's "the mind's eye" ep or ManCandy (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showpost.php?p=37312&postcount=84), the flik on which it was based :crazed: kaminoans are just-fill-the-order business types. if sifo asked them to augment clone conditioning w/a buried command of an disclosed nature they probably did so, no questions asked. otherwise sifo coulda arranged for infiltration of the command into the conditioning without kamino's knowledge where it could, say, pop up subliminally on the vidgame screens we saw clonelets training on :evil:
vt

Sentinel18725
05-21-2005, 11:24 PM
Is there a possibility that Count Dooku murdered Siphas Dias (sp). Then, goes to Kamino as him, thereby giving him plausable deniability of who ordered it. We already know, if you consider the video games to be canon, that Count Dooku personally picked Jango Fett for the template for the clones. Could Count Dooku be holding two names for people that don't know any better? Is there any information about who erased the planet from the Jedi Archives? Just some questions to get the ol' blood flowing.

Sith Lord 0498
05-22-2005, 10:18 AM
Is there a possibility that Count Dooku murdered Siphas Dias (sp). Then, goes to Kamino as him, thereby giving him plausable deniability of who ordered it. We already know, if you consider the video games to be canon, that Count Dooku personally picked Jango Fett for the template for the clones. Could Count Dooku be holding two names for people that don't know any better? Is there any information about who erased the planet from the Jedi Archives? Just some questions to get the ol' blood flowing.

According to the ROTS lead-in novel Labyrinth of Evil, Count Dooku did murder Sifo-Dyas after the Jedi Master ordered the clones. It was Dooku's test of loyalty to the Sith. Dooku also erased Kamino from the archives as his last act before publicly leaving the Jedi, and he chose Jango Fett as the temple. However, I don't believe he ever personally went to Kamino. If he did, the Kaminoans would've realized Dooku's duplicity once the Clone Wars began.

sith_killer_99
05-23-2005, 12:22 PM
We already know, if you consider the video games to be canon, that Count Dooku personally picked Jango Fett for the template for the clones.

Do doubt there, Jango himself says "I was hired by a man named Tyranus" in EPII. We all know that Tyranus is the Sith name for Dooku.

Dooku hired Tyranus after finding out that Sifo-Dyas commissioned the Clones. He then hunted down Fett and hired him as the template for the Clones. Fett goes to Kamino and donates his DNA to the cause. This was all masterminded by Sidious of course. The entire Clone Wars was set up to bring about the down fall of the Jedi.

El Chuxter
05-23-2005, 01:14 PM
In the novelization, Cody has a great line. He mutters after the order is given, "Why didn't you tell me that before I gave him back his bloody lightsaber?"

good shot jansen
05-23-2005, 02:08 PM
commander cody?!!!!??? lol i gotta pay more attention while i watch a movie, i completely missed that easter egg.

anyway, i kinda like what vt said;

".........otherwise sifo coulda arranged for infiltration of the command into the conditioning without kamino's knowledge where it could, say, pop up subliminally on the vidgame screens we saw clonelets training on"

the clones were known to be gentically altered, not hot wired like a cyborg. however, every clone that comes off the line, had gone through the rigorous training while developing into a grown up. this included years of sitting in front of those computer screens, learning how to take commands without question. the power of subliminal seduction is strong, particularly on the weak, docile, totally obedient mind.

this theme has always been running through the entire saga, mind tricks only work on those who let em.

sith_killer_99
05-23-2005, 07:20 PM
In the novelization, Cody has a great line. He mutters after the order is given, "Why didn't you tell me that before I gave him back his bloody lightsaber?"

I sooooo loved that line, I was hoping they would put it in the film! It would have been a great line!!! :D

As for the "training" some of the stories I have read say that the Clones are taught certain things from before they are "born" such as "take care of your equipment, and your equipment will take care of you." :crazed:

Sentinel18725
05-23-2005, 10:29 PM
I sooooo loved that line, I was hoping they would put it in the film! It would have been a great line!!! :D

As for the "training" some of the stories I have read say that the Clones are taught certain things from before they are "born" such as "take care of your equipment, and your equipment will take care of you." :crazed:

This line is great! but in my opinion, this would have disproven that it was a hard wired command, ie. the trance like response.

I finished the Revenge of the Sith game today and one section clarifies this. For the level that the clones turn on Obi Wan (12 maybe) the lead intro states that they "follow a pre-programed command"....

I know the video game had a lot of creative liberties, but here is a possible solution...one that was approved by Lucas through LucasArts.

El Chuxter
04-22-2012, 06:30 PM
No.

It is not a hardwired command.

I know this because Clonetroopers are people. People are not mechanical; therefore, they have no wires.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-22-2012, 11:54 PM
Dave Filoni has said that they'll explore Order 66 on The Clone Wars. With the clones' personalities, the fact that they don't always follow direct orders when they disagree with them, and events like what happened with Pong Krell complicate this issue, so I'm really looking forward to their answers.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-23-2012, 10:11 AM
Their was another command, Order 67 (despite what a certain thread did here at SSG :rolleyes: ), where all clones would quack like Naboo Sitting ducks, too. :youaregettingsleepy: :tired:

El Chuxter
04-23-2012, 11:45 AM
We do not discuss Order 69 on a family site.

JediTricks
04-28-2012, 03:44 PM
No.

It is not a hardwired command.

I know this because Clonetroopers are people. People are not mechanical; therefore, they have no wires.How do you know they don't have wires in their brains? I've met you in person, you're not George Lucas, I would have noticed. :p

El Chuxter
04-28-2012, 04:08 PM
I wear a fake beard when I publicly appear in my "Lucas" persona.

And I bash my own work a lot on the internet for ****s and giggles.