PDA

View Full Version : Hateful News Article

BFett88
05-19-2005, 01:48 PM
Here is a news article from the Denver Post.

http://www.denverpost.com/harsanyi

Basically I am apart of the Fan Group in the article. I live in Denver and this guy in the article just rips our fan group and Star Wars fans in general. This guy is a real jerk.

Just wanted to share.

bigbarada
05-19-2005, 02:16 PM
I don't know, I think he makes some really valid points.

And I agree that it is a little silly for a 30-year-old man to be running around in public pretending to be a space pirate.

Exhaust Port
05-19-2005, 03:01 PM
I don't find it particularly hateful, perhaps brutally honest would be a better discription.

Space Pirate..... Argh!

:Pirate:

Ji'dai
05-19-2005, 04:19 PM
So the author was collecting up until '99 and yet still has the gall to criticize those that still do? Apparently being promoted to columnist has affected his ego. He's should be happy he's not writing the obituaries any more.

Exhaust Port
05-19-2005, 06:55 PM
Well, 1999 was 6 years ago.

How would you accept this article if it was written by someone who hadn't seen Star Wars or who hadn't collected Star Wars crap? I think the fact that he admits that he was heavily into the collecting and seeing the movies is a strong credential for his ability to "criticize" those that still are. Actually the main point of his attack is towards those that dress up like Star Wars characters and walk around town. I'm not saying that I don't do anything that isn't odd but I'll be the first to admit that it is. Not everyone who puts on a costume and invests hundreds if not thousands of dollars in a movie costume, then walks around will admit that they are doing anything that is a bit ridiculous. If it was Halloween perhaps we wouldn't bat an eye but to go to a movie? Don't you find those that dress up for the Rocky Horror Picture Show a bit odd? I mean, they are adults for crying out loud.

As he pointed out, there is those that hold on to their childhood, then there are those that hold onto their childhood, invest tons of their money on plastic toys, dress up as fictional characters and claim that such actions are a reflection of their childhood interests. Strange considering that most of us had a dozen or so action figures that saw every environment known to man and had little left of their original paint after years of play. How is buying 1000 action figures and keeping them all in their original packaging a reflection of one's childhood?

Some don't realize that there is a line that you can cross that takes this interest from a quirky hobby to a social oddity.

InsaneJediGirl
05-19-2005, 08:38 PM
"Dolls",hey they are action figures! :D

Not hateful,I think this is a casual fan/outsiders point of view on the entire thing.Try to imagine not being a Star Wars geek for a second,a bunch of crazed people running around with lightsabers and collecting toys.It can make you wonder otherwise,especially as many hobbies arent as fanatic.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
05-19-2005, 10:12 PM
Hateful is the wrong word choice, yet there are hypocritical instances in the articles. He pokes fun at the obsessive fans, yet he has seen the movies numerous times. He says he is fed up and sick with the product tie-ins and promotions, yet it seems like for a period of time, he caved in and collected the action figures.

But at the end he makes light of the situation, admitting he will see the movie and then he talks positively about the charity events that force.net is holding for ROTS. And as others have said, maybe we fans are a bit strange at times, especially those who make the saga their sole aim in life.

Bacta Beast
05-19-2005, 10:29 PM
Outsider? This guy saw "AOTC" more times than I did, and have a large collection! And even if he did quit "collecting" in '99 he still saw the movie in 2002! I think he's just jealous that he doesn't have trooper armor to wear to the opening.

plasticfetish
05-19-2005, 10:29 PM
"And like a normal curmudgeonly adult"

You know, seriously, "F" that guy and the horse he rode in on. The guy's a hack. What kind of a journalist spends his time ripping on people for being undignified? I mean, isn't the whole fan-bashing thing a bit of a cliché at this point?

Lighten up Dave... it can't all be about the Broncos. Go have yourself a Coors, then spend some time trying to remember where you left your sense of humor and fun. (Schmuck.)

DARKNESSETRNL
05-19-2005, 10:41 PM
Wow. That guy sure knows how to use big words. Please. I was there for openig night and saw a whole bunch of people dressed like jedi and siths and other characters from the movies. You know what else I saw, the way the childrens eyes lighted up in seeing them. I see people that dress up like there favorite characters and people with enough guts to get out there and put up with jerks making fun of them for doing something as inocent as playing dress up. People nowadays are just to damn serious. Relax you guys, it's all in good fun. And I for one was happy to see a good turn out of costumed characters that night, they made me and most importantly my daughter very happy. especially when a Sandtrooper came up to her and said hi to her and took pictures with her. She could not stop talking about it. So leave them alone, let them light up childrens eyes with there costumes. :D

__________________________________________________ ______________

" TO SEE THINGS THROUGH A CHILDS EYES, IS TO MAKE THE WORLD A BETTER PLACE FOR EVERYONE IN IT." :D

bobafrett
05-21-2005, 11:57 PM
Being one of the people who "dresses up" in a Stormtrooper costume, I felt he took a shot below the belt. Whatever, I will keep dressing up, doing charity events, watching children's faces as they see a character from a movie that they like, or even love. It gives me a great sense of pride anytime I can put on my armor to help out a worthwhile cause, or promote a movie that has touched me as much as Star Wars has. I don't run down the street screaming "Look, I'm a Stormtrooper". I wear my armor, or Tusken costume to places or events that will make a difference be it raising money, or just being there to entertain at a kids birthday party. We make no money from out appereances, but spend much time bringing a smile to a kid, or an adult.

plasticfetish
05-22-2005, 01:26 AM
watching children's faces as they see a character from a movie that they like, or even love.I can't even begin to tell you how excited my son was to see and then have his picture taken with the Stormtroopers at Comic-Con last year...

stillakid
05-22-2005, 09:13 AM
Some don't realize that there is a line that you can cross that takes this interest from a quirky hobby to a social oddity.

There is a line...but I think you have to cross it to know where it is.

Look, I have Biker Scout costume myself, but I feel no compulsion to wear it for anything other than Halloween when "dressing up" is what everybody does. It's one thing to dress up like that for special events where children might be present or for a special Star Wars event where having characters from the film might add color and interest for the photo op, but even I have to :rolleyes: when I see these guys at places like San Diego's ComicCon or just waiting in line for a movie. Granted, I'm sure in their minds that it's just another way to express their fandom, and I'm sure it is...but this is the line that gets crossed. When there are no kids about to evoke a smile or any special audience photo op scenario to play to. I just saw that flick TREKKIES with that chick who goes to work dressed up in Star Trek wear. She can justify it to herself all she likes, but she has gone bye bye, no doubt about it. I haven't heard of any Star Wars fans who just randomly go to work or to jury duty dressed up in a costume, but the parallels come pretty close sometimes.

You have to admit, it is pretty weird for adults to be so enamored with children's toys or to want to dress up like a fictional character "just because." And I think that's okay. :) So long as that person admits that it's weird and doesn't expect society to accept it as normal. Thank god we're not all just clone like globs of gray boring goo...differences are the spice of life! :) But fat pimply faced goober sci fi fan boys who dress up like Jedi Knights are just asking for it. At least as a Stormtrooper, they can hide their identities and still hope to keep the respect of hot chicks who don't know the truth! :crazed:

mabudonicus
05-22-2005, 09:20 AM
Heck, I dressed as JarJAr as a joke and I am pretty sure that a lot of folks enjoyed watching several Jedi "behead" me- it was fun to make extra memories to go along with the film itself

I remember the first time I saw ANH, there was a guy dressed as a Stormtrooper- it was kinda odd I guess, since the film had been out for a while already, and the town I lived in was VERY small, but the image of whoever it was, standing outside the theatre as the sun set and I approached my "first contact" is burned into my head clearly- I guess it would have been the same had I not seen such a thing, but right then I had a really odd feeling, it seemed to suggest that the film could be something for everyone, serious for adults and fun for kids, and that has stayed with me forever :beard:

And heck, dressing up is fun :D

JON9000
05-22-2005, 11:11 AM
Reality- to the average person, an adult who so embraces a juvenile escapist fantasy to the point where he will dress up as a character from it is a geek. I guess the notion lies in the idea that the only reason someone would retreat into a fantastic universe so deeply is because somehow they cannot find acceptance in the mainstream world.

Nothing this guy said was that awful. It IS dorky. But guess what? I really dig Star Wars and it is fun. I do not care if it is dorky. Blackwolf the Dragon Master is a dork, lovable, but a dork. The Star Wars kid is a dork (and incidentally, what most people bring to mind when they hear "Star Wars fan"). At least they are having fun- and that is what it is all about.

If you find being called out on your dorkiness as hateful, use your sense of humor about it- it is weird. So what?

You see, there are True Star Wars fans and False Star Wars fans.... :crazed:

mabudonicus
05-22-2005, 11:37 AM
You see, there are True Star Wars fans and False Star Wars fans....

You owe me a new keyboard :D

JON9000
05-26-2005, 11:07 AM
Mabs, if you have a new keyboard, this should take care of it...

http://cagle.slate.msn.com/news/StarWars2005/main.asp

very hateful....

JEDIpartner
05-27-2005, 07:57 AM
"And like a normal curmudgeonly adult"

You know, seriously, "F" that guy and the horse he rode in on. The guy's a hack. What kind of a journalist spends his time ripping on people for being undignified? I mean, isn't the whole fan-bashing thing a bit of a cliché at this point?

Lighten up Dave... it can't all be about the Broncos. Go have yourself a Coors, then spend some time trying to remember where you left your sense of humor and fun. (Schmuck.)

Well, the irony of such things is that there are sports fanatics who go shirtless, paint themselves up and run around various stadia around the country making spectacles of themselves. Then there are those who go around wearing jerseys, sweaters and polo shirts emblazoned with team logos and whatnot many days of the week. These are the same people who try to take the mickey out of people who are fanatics over films. It makes no sense.

I actually pointed that out to my brother-in-law by asking him how many shirts he owns with the Browns logo emroidered onto them or whatever. He said he had about 10. I asked him if he wears them out to dinner, church, the store or around the house. He responded, "yes". I told him I only have ONE Star Wars shirt, loads of toys and such but they all stay at home and people rarely see these things outside of my home. I asked him who was the showier of the "geeks". He told me it was "different". I told him it was no different. Fanatacism is fanatisicm, regardless of the subject. Just because my interests yield more licensed products than his doesn't make it worse or better.

JetsAndHeels
05-27-2005, 08:46 AM
Then there are those who go around wearing jerseys, sweaters and polo shirts emblazoned with team logos and whatnot many days of the week.

I fall into that category myself. Especially during college basketball and the nfl seasons...I am all in my Tarheels or Jets gear. Seeing things from both sides, I totally agree that it doesn't matter what you are interested in...the fact is if you are a fan of Star Wars or of a sports team and you wear your gear and love the experience, its fanaticism. I just think people and society as a whole tend to single out the Star Wars, Star Trek, etc. fans because not everyone can relate. Sports are more commonplace, so people tend to look away...but that doesn't make it any different.

I had a discussion about this on a Jets messageboard with another member who was making fun of us "Star Wars geeks"...I called her out and pretty much told her that being a Jets fan and posting on the board with fellow fans was no different than what we do here at SSG. I must have hit the mark, because I got no response. :)

bobafrett
05-28-2005, 01:38 AM
I fall into that category myself. Especially during college basketball and the nfl seasons...I am all in my Tarheels or Jets gear. Seeing things from both sides, I totally agree that it doesn't matter what you are interested in...the fact is if you are a fan of Star Wars or of a sports team and you wear your gear and love the experience, its fanaticism. I just think people and society as a whole tend to single out the Star Wars, Star Trek, etc. fans because not everyone can relate. Sports are more commonplace, so people tend to look away...but that doesn't make it any different.

I had a discussion about this on a Jets messageboard with another member who was making fun of us "Star Wars geeks"...I called her out and pretty much told her that being a Jets fan and posting on the board with fellow fans was no different than what we do here at SSG. I must have hit the mark, because I got no response. :)

How about this. I was at the May 26th Cubs game, dressed as a Cubs trooper. I was denied entry to Wrigley Field even though I had a ticket. They said costumes are not allowed in the ballpark. I had to change, which meant taking my armor off. After watching the Cubs losing, I headed down to reclaim my armor pieces, which the lady at customer service did. I put my armor back on, and walked around outside, and got my face on TV. I wouldn't have known, except a friend of mine was watching the game, and called me. I love the Cubs almost as much as I love Star Wars.

JetsAndHeels
05-28-2005, 09:02 PM
How about this. I was at the May 26th Cubs game, dressed as a Cubs trooper. I was denied entry to Wrigley Field even though I had a ticket. They said costumes are not allowed in the ballpark. I had to change, which meant taking my armor off. After watching the Cubs losing, I headed down to reclaim my armor pieces, which the lady at customer service did. I put my armor back on, and walked around outside, and got my face on TV. I wouldn't have known, except a friend of mine was watching the game, and called me. I love the Cubs almost as much as I love Star Wars.

Bobafrett, that is awesome that you made it on TV!! I really wish I had watched that game (I get WGN here). It looks like you made some friends out there...were you on Waveland avenue?

bobafrett
05-28-2005, 11:05 PM
Bobafrett, that is awesome that you made it on TV!! I really wish I had watched that game (I get WGN here). It looks like you made some friends out there...were you on Waveland avenue?

Yes sir, that was me out on Waveland. Actually I got a little nervous as one guy offered me $50 to let him steal my helmet. This is why I generelly never troop alone. One drunk after the game, I though he was going to rip my helmet off. :eek:

JetsAndHeels
05-28-2005, 11:09 PM
Yes sir, that was me out on Waveland. Actually I got a little nervous as one guy offered me $50 to let him steal my helmet. This is why I generelly never troop alone. One drunk after the game, I though he was going to rip my helmet off. :eek:

Yeah, got to be careful at those sporting events. Too bad you did not have a nice "back up" batallion at your disposal. That guy would have been running for the hills!!

Bacta Beast
06-13-2005, 11:29 PM
Mabs, if you have a new keyboard, this should take care of it...

http://cagle.slate.msn.com/news/StarWars2005/main.asp

very hateful....

Man, these journalist types are just mean! :mad:

Bacta Beast
06-13-2005, 11:34 PM
There is a line...but I think you have to cross it to know where it is.

Look, I have Biker Scout costume myself, but I feel no compulsion to wear it for anything other than Halloween when "dressing up" is what everybody does. It's one thing to dress up like that for special events where children might be present or for a special Star Wars event where having characters from the film might add color and interest for the photo op, but even I have to :rolleyes: when I see these guys at places like San Diego's ComicCon or just waiting in line for a movie. Granted, I'm sure in their minds that it's just another way to express their fandom, and I'm sure it is...but this is the line that gets crossed. When there are no kids about to evoke a smile or any special audience photo op scenario to play to. I just saw that flick TREKKIES with that chick who goes to work dressed up in Star Trek wear. She can justify it to herself all she likes, but she has gone bye bye, no doubt about it. I haven't heard of any Star Wars fans who just randomly go to work or to jury duty dressed up in a costume, but the parallels come pretty close sometimes.

You have to admit, it is pretty weird for adults to be so enamored with children's toys or to want to dress up like a fictional character "just because." And I think that's okay. :) So long as that person admits that it's weird and doesn't expect society to accept it as normal. Thank god we're not all just clone like globs of gray boring goo...differences are the spice of life! :) But fat pimply faced goober sci fi fan boys who dress up like Jedi Knights are just asking for it. At least as a Stormtrooper, they can hide their identities and still hope to keep the respect of hot chicks who don't know the truth! :crazed:

I agree with you, the Star Trek chick has definately checked out! :crazed: There is a time and place, and when you step out if it you're going to take your shots. But don't you think that this guy was a little out of line? Reading the article you see he's talking about people in his community that he knows are involved in worthwile causes, and then he procedes to rip them apart because they take the opportunity to dress up at the premiere! Adoring children be damned! What say you?