PDA

View Full Version : Why does Ahmed Best get a big Co-Starring screen credit?

JediTricks
05-20-2005, 03:25 AM
I am not sure Best even deserved one for Ep 2, but at least there he had some lines. In Ep 3, not only does he have no lines, but I don't remember seeing Jar Jar's face until the end of the film! So why does he get a big co-starring screen credit?

2-1B
05-20-2005, 04:26 AM
He has one line and it's "excuse me" :) He is present when The Poster Boy meets with Bail Organa and his cronies and he is also in the Senate pod when The Emperor is yammering about the Jedi Rebellion. And of course he is there at the end, like you mentioned.

Still, none of that answers the question because he doesn't seem to have to "do" anything, really. I mean, I'm sure he didn't have to stand in for the Senate pod scene, MAYBE he did for that funeral procession but I doubt it was necessary, and as for the welcoming scene, he might have been used there since there were so many bodies to coordinate. And of course he had to record two words of dialogue. :D

Personally I think it was just a matter of an honorary title, kind of like Kenny Baker getting a screen credit for AOTC and ROTS since he had what, maybe one scene in AOTC ? and ROTS, I don't know how often they used him if at all ? :confused:

JediTricks
05-20-2005, 04:59 AM
Is that who said "excuse me"? I didn't catch it that clearly, it seemed to blend in. You are right about the senate pod, I forgot about that.

Kenny Baker is actually inside the robot suit in a few shots, Ahmed Best appears nowhere that I know of himself, doesn't do a major piece of mo-cap for Jar Jar here, I really don't see why his name gets a big credit over actors who actually had lines and did stuff. "Honorary" can be taken too far I think, I'm not saying exclude him but I don't see why Ahmed who doesn't have but 1 line in the background and doesn't have almost any mo-cap work gets the big credit while actors in makeup reading actual important lines like Bruce "Tion Medon" Spence get only the small credit a third of the way into the total credits. I don't remember of Tem Morrison got a big credit, but he certainly deserved one for being all those clones.

Exhaust Port
05-20-2005, 06:54 AM
Perhaps it's contractual. Maybe when he signed on for the trilogy he had it put in his contract that he would get listed at the top. Being that GL didn't expect the Jar Jar character to suck so bad he probably figured he would be a major player in the 3 films so such an agreement prior to Ep. 1 wouldn't sound like a bad idea.

Bantha274
05-20-2005, 10:02 AM
No offense, but why does this really even matter?

mabudonicus
05-20-2005, 10:21 AM
I thought having JarJar apologize for his appearance in the PT was hilarious

I was dressed as JarJar at the premiere, while everyone was waiting in the theatre I kept standing up and doing "raise the roof" gestures- got booed a lot, a few folks threw popcorn and stuff at me, and eventually some portly fellow in a jedi outfit who talked just like the Simpsons comic book guy came uo to me and said "May I borrow the mask for a second??" and when I told him he could he pretended to cut my head off and held the mask up and said "10 points" I hope he won something :beard:

But I had assumed that Best was somewhere else in the film, too, which could justify the high ranking in the credits....

I dunno, though, but I'm glad GL both kept JJB out of the film and yet sort of acknowledged that he was not wanted :beard:

2-1B
05-20-2005, 01:02 PM
JT, have you heard what shots Kenny Baker is in ? And AOTC as well, I'l still not sure which one(s) they used him for in that movie.

Droid
05-20-2005, 01:36 PM
Why wasn't James Earl Jones credited? It was his voice, wasn't it?

Bantha274
05-20-2005, 02:15 PM
Why wasn't James Earl Jones credited? It was his voice, wasn't it?

No, it was Hayden's voice through a modulator or filtering device.
I believe you can find this info on the SW.com Hyperspace "making of" videos.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-20-2005, 10:35 PM
It's definitely James Earl Jones. Hayden even said so in this month's Insider. Dunno why he wouldn't get a credit.

The credits struck me as odd, almost as if they re-used the ones from AOTC. Oliver Ford Davies also got a co-starring credit, though he was only at the funeral for less than two seconds. They should've given those spots to some of the supporting Jedi who were killed by the clones, or something.

JediTricks
05-20-2005, 10:58 PM
Perhaps it's contractual. Maybe when he signed on for the trilogy he had it put in his contract that he would get listed at the top. Being that GL didn't expect the Jar Jar character to suck so bad he probably figured he would be a major player in the 3 films so such an agreement prior to Ep. 1 wouldn't sound like a bad idea.
I don't think so, Best wasn't even originally contracted to voice Jar Jar, only brought in to do the mo-cap work and possibly also the rehearsal stand-in stuff, I don't think Best ever had any contractual leverage over Lucas that way.

No offense, but why does this really even matter?I'm not offended, but we're on a forum dedicated to toys and the movies they're derived from, why does ANYTHING we discuss "matter"? It doesn't really matter, it's just a discussion of a curiosity. But in the scheme of things here, why SHOULD it matter?

I thought having JarJar apologize for his appearance in the PT was hilariousMabs, you da man with that line! :D

Caes, in order to stay spoiler-free, I didn't look at any of the behind-the-scenes info, but I have heard in press release stuff and anecdotal stuff that Baker definitely is in the film in several shots. Sorry I don't have any concrete info for you there.

Droid, JEJ doesn't like to be credited for doing Star Wars, he didn't want credit in the originals because he felt he wasn't really doing real acting or something plus he got paid a fair wage and that was good enough, so I would assume it's the same here. I didn't notice him anywhere in the credits though, but I remember him saying he had recorded like 5 minutes of lines for this film.

Oliver Ford Davies also got a co-starring credit, though he was only at the funeral for less than two seconds.Wow, he got a screen credit there? I vaguely remember that now that you say it, but I didn't even notice then, nor did I notice Sio Bibble at the funeral AT ALL.

2-1B
05-20-2005, 11:20 PM
I was gonna say Oliver Ford Davies, too, but I was thinking along the lines of AOTC.

JT, I did see OFD in the funeral line, when Boss Nass and Jim Jam are onscreen I think Bibble is to the back and right of the screen . . . but my memory is sometimes dyslexic so I could be wrong and it could be the other side.

Also, I will let you know if I find any info on KB's involvement with R2. :)

JediTricks
05-21-2005, 12:44 AM
Oh, I didn't disbelieve about Sio Bibble being in the film, I just missed him.

2-1B
05-21-2005, 12:57 AM
I know. :) I was just recalling where I saw him . . . blink and you'll miss him.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-21-2005, 12:20 PM
Yeah, he's on the far right of the screen, either with the Queen or the gungans, I don't remember. His hair is a little bit longer, but he's the same old Sio. :D

Veers
05-21-2005, 12:21 PM
Yeah, I heard Jar Jar say excuse me. It was real low and easy to miss if you are not paying attention.

JEDIpartner
05-21-2005, 06:39 PM
He got co-starring billing out of pity.

2-1B
05-21-2005, 11:41 PM
JT I was mistaken, Bibs is not onscreen with Nass and Jim Jam but rather a shot or so later when the Queen can be seen. :)

You know what's a real crime here ? ? ? How did Mayhew land a spot on the screen with Jimmy Smits ? Lame. :crazed:

JediTricks
05-22-2005, 06:36 PM
You know what's a real crime here ? ? ? How did Mayhew land a spot on the screen with Jimmy Smits ? Lame. :crazed:Determined by similar-levels of talent. :evil: ;)

JP, that was a good one! I think it's the most logical reasoning as well. :D