PDA

View Full Version : how to fix the problems of episode 3

Darth Bater
05-20-2005, 09:58 AM
hello,
here's a link to my negative review of episode 3 along with for suggestions of how it could have been a hell of a lot better...

http://king-corn.com/Star_Wars_episode_III_review.htm

i'd love to hear other ideas for how the many problems of episode 3 could have been solved

stillakid
05-20-2005, 10:45 AM
Well, many of the problems of III were setup by the inferior I and II. So the only real answer to your question is to scuttle the entire Prequel Trilogy and start over. This isn't to say that many of Lucas's concepts couldn't or shouldn't be used, but in the hands of a qualified writer and competent director (no, not Peter Jackson :rolleyes: ), I think that we could have a Prequel Trilogy that actually resembles the established Star Wars Saga that most of us grew up with.

CaptainSolo1138
05-20-2005, 11:22 AM
hello,
here's a link to my negative review of episode 3 along with for suggestions of how it could have been a hell of a lot better...

i'd love to hear other ideas for how the many problems of episode 3 could have been solved
So why don't you take your uber-superiority and make your own damn movie. It's only been two days and I'm already sick of people looking for reasons to rip this movie. NO ONE MADE YOU SEE IT!!!!

Tycho
05-20-2005, 11:36 AM
I read Darth Bater's review thing and disagree with most of it. "Opinions are like ........ - everyone has one" comes to mind.

His best point was in how and why Padme died, and how Palpatine explains that to Anakin to turn his hate against Obi-Wan 10-fold. That was worth reading.

3 Jedi instead of 2 on the rescue mission to save Palpatine etc. was just random nitpicking. The movie had other flaws, but Darth Bater misses them and forgets to post about the great stuff (other than yes, I'll agree that the opening, the humor with R2 and the heroic crash landing were all great parts to the film - and I originally didn't like the opening and thought the acting was cardboard until my 2nd viewing).

stillakid
05-20-2005, 11:45 AM
I read Darth Bater's review thing and disagree with most of it. "Opinions are like ........ - everyone has one" comes to mind.

Opinions are like 8 dots and a dash in succession? :confused:

;)

bigbarada
05-20-2005, 12:00 PM
I mentioned this earlier, but I really wish Lucas had milked Anakin and Padme's secret marriage for all it was worth. The Jedi discovering the secret and taking action against Anakin or making comments about consequences that could lead Anakin to percieve the Jedi as a threat to Padme, could have helped smooth out some of the logical leaps of his fall to the darkside.

Again, Padme "losing her will to live" after just having two babies is just unforgiveably bad writing.

JON9000
05-20-2005, 12:09 PM
Again, Padme "losing her will to live" after just having two babies is just unforgiveably bad writing.
The only alternative I see is having her die from injuries Anakin inflicted- she makes it long enough to give birth, and then croaks. I don't really have a problem with Padme dying of a broken heart, but obviously a few people do.

BTW- I thought having him choke her was just brilliant- if I didn't believe it was over for him prior to that moment, from then on I bought into it.

El Chuxter
05-20-2005, 12:14 PM
Can't be done without starting over, sadly. This time, base it more closely on the excellent novelization, since the story is very, very strong. But get a director who isn't an idiot, actors who will act, and a special effects crew who aren't stoned. :mad:

2-1B
05-20-2005, 12:45 PM
sure Jar Jar ended up playing a big role . . . in the last movie.

Chux, I'm glad a bunch of that stuff in the novel wasn't in the movie.

vadersvette
05-20-2005, 01:17 PM
Can't be done without starting over, sadly. This time, base it more closely on the excellent novelization, since the story is very, very strong. But get a director who isn't an idiot, actors who will act, and a special effects crew who aren't stoned. :mad:
These are HIS movies and HE wants them HIS WAY!!! Noone tells you haow to write your stories. They come from you! Ewan, Hayden, Ian, and Nat were excellent in the movie. I thought their performance was very emotional. I LOVED THIS MOVIE AND AM SICK OF PEOPLE RIPPING IT APART ONLY TWO DAYS AFTER IT HAS COME OUT!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Darth Bater
05-20-2005, 01:31 PM
So why don't you take your uber-superiority and make your own damn movie. It's only been two days and I'm already sick of people looking for reasons to rip this movie. NO ONE MADE YOU SEE IT!!!!

well i'm sorry i haven't worked out a film deal, but if you want to see perfection in story telling, check out my free online comic books:

Bantha274
05-20-2005, 02:05 PM
hello,

I thought the movie was awesome, brilliant, and amazing, even with the few issues it did have. So, we are both right.
From a certain point of view.

It needed more Wookie/ Kashyyk scenes. And they should have showed R2-D2 getting his jets destroyed, maybe shot off by a droid.

And I really hate spinach.:D

DarthBrandon
05-20-2005, 02:13 PM
These are HIS movies and HE wants them HIS WAY!!! Noone tells you haow to write your stories. They come from you! Ewan, Hayden, Ian, and Nat were excellent in the movie. I thought their performance was very emotional. I LOVED THIS MOVIE AND AM SICK OF PEOPLE RIPPING IT APART ONLY TWO DAYS AFTER IT HAS COME OUT!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I would have posted something like this, but the sad thing is you can't change the minds of others, they seem to think that they (or someone else) could do a better job & the sad thing about that is, others would be doing or saying the same thing they are. You can't please everyone, but I can say this, my seven year old loved it & that's all that matters at this point. :)

El Chuxter
05-20-2005, 02:38 PM

First, this is the first time I have "ripped apart" one of the Star Wars films after the first viewing. TPM is far from perfect, but I loved it the first dozen or so times I saw it. Even now, I think there's an awful lot of greatness in that film.

Revenge of the Sith marks the very first time I have truly been let down by a SW film. I have absolutely no issue whatsoever with the story. The story is pretty damn close to perfect. The execution of the film was something less than desired, to put it bluntly. The special effects, with the exception of General Grievous, looked like they came from an Atari 2600. The pacing was ridiculous, making Anakin's fall unbelievable to me.

I agree with you that Ewan, Hayden, and Ian were excellent, and I think Jimmy Smitts and Frank Oz should go in that category as well. But Natalie Portman and Samuel L Jackson both delivered the worst performances of their careers, and they're two of the best actors out there! I wanted to smack some sense into Padme, because the way Natalie played her, she was nothing more than a whiny idiot.

Worst of all, Anakin cries constantly. Fine and dandy, until he becomes Darth Vader!! There was no moment that ruined the film for me more than hearing James Earl Jones's voice sound like he was crying his eyes out under that mask. Taking the films in order, this makes Vader a complete patsy in the original films rather than a ruthless villain.

No, I didn't like it. But that's my opinion, this is a place where we give our opinions, and I'm not going to tell you that you can't like it.

JON9000
05-20-2005, 03:31 PM
That's a real bummer you didn't like it to that extent Chux. :(

Once I got over the idea that the little Peanut Head from Episode I and the whiny punk from Episode II was really going to wind up being the baddest dude in the galaxy (which I had considerable difficulty with), I was able to accept the ending of ROTS.

But remember- Vader is like what, 22 when he goes into the armor? I was a lot nicer when I was 22. He had plenty of time to become a real butt in 20 years or however long it is.

Again, sorry it was such a downer for you.