PDA

View Full Version : Best Character of the Prequels is....

stillakid
05-20-2005, 11:56 AM
For my money, Grievous wins! :D Upon first viewing, I really dug that guy. What really intrigued me was the coughing. Without that, it would have been just another one-dimensional standard issue bad guy for our heroes to kill. But that cough is what sold him as a mysterious multi-dimensional character. Just like the Boba Fett of old, I want to know more about his past, but so enjoy the intriguing mysterious personae, I wouldn't want to ruin it by learning too much. We all saw how AOTC destroyed all the coolness :cool: :dead: from our mysterious ESB Boba Fett and I'd hate to do that to Grievous.

CaptainSolo1138
05-20-2005, 12:11 PM
I vote for Episode II and III Anakin (everything past his days of 'YIPPEE!!' :p ).

JON9000
05-20-2005, 12:13 PM
I vote for Palpy, based only on episode III

Tycho
05-20-2005, 12:22 PM
I saw the prequel trilogy unfold through Obi-Wan's eyes and his POV mostly. I really like how Ewan handled the character and played my hero and it's a nice transition for Obi-Wan fans to follow his character all the way through his concerns as a spirit in Return of the Jedi.

I agree that we got a lot of good characters in the prequels and Palpatine ranks up there amongst those deserving the highest acolades.

2-1B
05-20-2005, 01:59 PM
Grievous sucked. Pure eye candy and fluff for the fanboys. Rubbish.

My favorite character is Anakin Skywalker from 2 and 3, with Obi-Wan Kenobi almost tying for first place. :)

Bantha274
05-20-2005, 04:06 PM
R2-D2 is the TRUE hero of the saga. :)

But as far as just the Prequels, my vote is for Obi-Wan. No one could have played this role better than Ewan.

wawe1
05-20-2005, 04:43 PM
Obi Wan - hands down

stillakid
05-20-2005, 04:50 PM
I've thought more about why I unexpectedly liked Grievous so much. He reminds me of Dex in AOTC. Both characters ironically strike me as categorically "real." What I mean is that despite their alien appearances, the personalities that come through are exceptionally believable. For Dex, it was his overall general greasy spoon mannerisms down to the butt crack. For Grievous, that cough totally sold this guy as somebody with a definite past and normal "human" fraility. That is a trait that we never really get from other characters...even from Anakin from whom we should be seeing that level of vulnerability.

The only other character that immediately comes to mind that fits this bill is R2 D2...the ROTS and OT versions of him anyway. I and II were wasted efforts with both the droids, but ROTS finally put them to use and didn't play the court jester game with them. :)

Sith Lord 0498
05-20-2005, 06:21 PM
Palpatine is the best character of the prequel trilogy. Ian McDiarmid's performance was always complex, multi-layered, realistic, etc. Only in a few lines in the entire PT did he sound wooden, get the wrong inflection, etc. It would take too long to list the praises of his performance. I can only say that I wish I had the chance to see him perform live in the theatre.

Beast
05-20-2005, 06:32 PM
It's all about the Binks. Jar Jar, that is. :)

MTFWBY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Ji'dai
05-20-2005, 07:22 PM
I've always liked Padme since Episode I; casting the insanely hot Natalie Portman in the role was a good move on Lucas' part. I wish she had a greater action role in Episode III instead of just becoming a pregnant accessory of Anakin's. Her death... geez, I had to stifle a laugh when the med droid came out and told the Jedi why she wouldn't survive. So Leia remembers her mother from her time in utero? Did Lucas even watch the OT when he started writing these ****ty prequels?

Ewan MacGregor's portrayal of Obi-Wan really grew on me through Episode II & III. Now I really wish Episode I had begun with Kenobi as the Jedi Knight we see in AOTC. I've never cared for Qui-Gon, it's a shame Lucas didn't have Kenobi befriend and train Anakin as we were told in ANH.

I liked Grievous ever since I first saw him in the cartoon. I also liked Dooku to some extent but since both ended up being bantha fodder - the villain of the week - it lessens their impact. Darth Maul never really left an impression on me at all.

jjreason
05-20-2005, 07:33 PM
It's Qui Gon Jin. The most stand-up, stick to your guns Jedi of them all.

Stilla, you almost sound like you enjoyed the movie! Is everything okay???? :D :D :D

stillakid
05-20-2005, 07:53 PM
Stilla, you almost sound like you enjoyed the movie! Is everything okay???? :D :D :D

Admittedly, during the first viewing...the only one I've had so far...I had a decent time. :) Like so many others have said, I had those moments of :rolleyes: and lol at all the wrong places. But where so many people had a lot of trouble with the goofy humor from the droids, battle and astromechs, I like those moments a lot. They were reminiscent of the smarta** humor of the OT. Granted, to really enjoy this film you have to completely shut down the logic functions of your brain and go into denial, but once that is achieved, it appears to be a whacky space serial. :crazed:

I suppose that's why I found myself attracted (no, not like that :kiss: ) to characters like Dex and Grievous. They weren't just one dimensional characters the way Dooku, Maul, and even Anakin and Padme were. These were very real beings which is ironic, because in reality, they are less real than the actors. Yet they out acted them tenfold. Have to give credit to the animators and voiceover artists for that. :)

I mean, can Sam Jackson really act? I ask because based on his performances in I, II, and III, he sucks...and I mean big. The guy couldn't act his way out of a box.

Beast
05-20-2005, 08:07 PM
I mean, can Sam Jackson really act? I ask because based on his performances in I, II, and III, he sucks...and I mean big. The guy couldn't act his way out of a box.
He was basing his performance on Harrison Ford. ANH - Ford: Mediocre, with only a few bad deliveries. ESB - Ford: Much Better, not as much stumbling. ROTJ: Phoning it in for the cool fight scene and paycheck. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

pegger
05-20-2005, 08:21 PM
The absolute coolest character....

2-1B :D

darko666
05-20-2005, 08:46 PM
I suppose that's why I found myself attracted (no, not like that :kiss: ) to characters like Dex and Grievous. They weren't just one dimensional characters the way Dooku, Maul were

even with the flaws of character building(thanks GL), i still hold Darth Maul as my top pick as the best character from the prequels. not only does he have the look, but he encompases all that is Sith. he is pure hatred and instills fear into any that come in contact with him. plus, he is the first Sith they see in a long time(forgot how long Mace "This Parties Over" Windu said). so he raises the Jedis' attention. i can say i was more emotional at seeing Maul die, than watching the fall of Anakin.
he was also part of the best lightsaber duel in any of the prequel movies. nothing compared to that duel.

but i will say that i agree with your views on Grievous. he is a great villian in the Star Wars saga. i enjoyed is coughing, def added depth to his character.

Tycho
05-20-2005, 09:04 PM
They were not my favorite characters, but back in TPM, Sebulba and Watto impressed me a lot more than JarJar. They were very real in their own sense as well. That scene before the race when Sebulba adjusts his goggles is so realistic it's like he was actually there.

Monstermile
05-20-2005, 09:17 PM
Obi-Wan. He was always my favorite in ANH and even though a little annoying in TPM, I have like him throughout the PT.

Slicker
05-20-2005, 09:35 PM
I'd have to say my favorite Prequel character is, like many others, Obi-Wan. No explination. I just liked him.

QLD
05-20-2005, 09:41 PM
For me it's Obi-Wan, because he was the only one who constantly put forth an excellent acting effort, and made his character likeable.

Veers
05-20-2005, 10:47 PM
Obi Wan Kenobi, that is no doubt.