PDA

View Full Version : Prequel Trilogy Collection?

derrickehlen
05-20-2005, 01:04 PM
While some of the VOTC figures were pretty awful (Kenobi), most of them were great, in my opinion... So I got to thinking (and I apologize if this has been discussed before)- what if they did the same kind of thing for the prequel trilogy? Four well-articulated, well-detailed (and better than VOTC) figures per movie, for episodes I, II, and III. What would you have them be? Here are my picks...

EPISODE I
-Qui-Gon Jinn
-Darth Maul (with lightsaber blades that are the correct length)
-Battle Droid (that folds up completely)
-Senator Palpatine/Darth Sidious (would be easy to do- just have a removable black robe w/hood)

EPISODE II
-Padme (white outfit- best action costume for the character, IMO)
-Mace Windu
-Droideka (one that is proportioned correctly and folds into the wheel. Don't tell me they can't do it- they absolutely can)
-Jango Fett

EPISODE III
-Anakin (with variant head for Episode II haricut)
-Obi-Wan (with variant heads for Episodes I and II haircut and shave)
-Super Battle Droid
-General Grievous (cloth cape w/ hilt holders, opening gut compartment)

I left out Yoda, Dooku, and Clone Trooper because I think we already have satisfying figures of them. Of course, this is all very wishful and unrealistic thinking anyway...

DarthZylek
05-20-2005, 01:18 PM
It looks like the evolution sets will be a good vehicle to get many of these. Maul and Sidious are already coming "VOTC" style in the planned sets. They could easily include many of the figures mentioned above in such sets.

WesleySr
05-20-2005, 02:33 PM
This is a very good idea. They could also do a Clone Wars collection with soft goods versions of some of the Jedi and / or Asajj.

beckmen
05-20-2005, 03:40 PM
Arrrggggg! Soft goods!!!! Arrrrgggg!!!!

WesleySr
05-20-2005, 03:45 PM
What's wrong with soft goods? I think some of the best versions of the Jedi are the soft goods versions from this line, including:

#21 Shaak Ti (Jedi Master)
#29 Ki-Adi-Mundi (Jedi Master)
#30 Saesee Tiin (Jedi Master)
#31 Luminara Unduli (Jedi Master)

LTBasker
05-20-2005, 03:49 PM
A PTC line with the background cardbacks would be a great way to launch that 6 disc DVD set you just know Lucas is sitting on. :p

WesleySr
05-20-2005, 03:55 PM
I know that this will never happen, but I would like to see different cardbacks for each movie. Also, in ref to the 6 disc set, you know that it will have tons of deleted scenes, that way all of us who just purchased the OT on DVD will have no choice but to purchase the entire collection again.

rust
05-20-2005, 08:42 PM
How about this?

VPTC
Episode 1

Qui-Gon Jinn
Darth Maul
Battle Droid
Jar Jar Binks

Episode 2

Padme
Count Dooku
Mace Windu
Jango Fett

Episode 3
Palpatine to Darth Sidious (Red) w/ Removable Hood
Anakin (With Removable AOTC Head)
Obi-Wan (Removable AOTC and TPM Head)
General Grievous

Fluke Skywalker
05-20-2005, 09:36 PM
LTBasker said:
A PTC line with the background cardbacks would be a great way to launch that 6 disc DVD set you just know Lucas is sitting on.

Yeah, it wouldn't suprise me to see Hasbro wait until they can get some synergy between it and the Saga Hi-Def box set that should come out around 2007 (For the 30th anniversary)

The "Evolutions" sets are basically VOTC quailty, which is fine becasue I need several of the figures there for dioramas and such anyway, but as a mostly keep on carder, I would love to see PTC line on VOTC style cardbacks.

WesleySr
05-21-2005, 04:17 AM
Hey rust, dont forget about the Clone Wars:

Clone Wars

Asajj Ventress (soft goods)
Kit Fisto (soft goods)
Mace Windu (soft goods)
Padme (soft goods) (use an outfit from the animated series - either the purple outfit from chapter 1 OR the snow outfit from chapers 15/16)

Sith Lord 0498
05-21-2005, 07:31 AM
How about this?

VPTC
Episode 1

Qui-Gon Jinn
Darth Maul
Battle Droid
Jar Jar Binks

Episode 2

Padme
Count Dooku
Mace Windu
Jango Fett

Episode 3
Palpatine to Darth Sidious (Red) w/ Removable Hood
Anakin (With Removable AOTC Head)
Obi-Wan (Removable AOTC and TPM Head)
General Grievous

Some of these figures are already being produced for the Evolutions 3-pack sets: Darth Maul, Count Dooku, Darth Sidious, Anakin Skywalker.

rust
05-21-2005, 12:12 PM
Some of these figures are already being produced for the Evolutions 3-pack sets: Darth Maul, Count Dooku, Darth Sidious, Anakin Skywalker.
You know how much Hasbro loves to rehash :)

beckmen
05-21-2005, 02:58 PM
What's wrong with soft goods?

They look totally cheap and really awful. I own NO soft good figs. My Vader and Dooku figs from the ROTS line had their capes replaced with proper plastic capes. I HATE soft goods. More than Anakin hates Tuskins!

WesleySr
05-22-2005, 03:55 AM
They look totally cheap and really awful. I own NO soft good figs. My Vader and Dooku figs from the ROTS line had their capes replaced with proper plastic capes. I HATE soft goods. More than Anakin hates Tuskins!

Really? I think that the soft goods ROTS figures are great. My top 3 so far would be:

#11 Darth Vader (Lightsaber Attack!) (except for the action feature)
#30 Saesee Tiin (Jedi Master)
#31 Luminara Unduli (Jedi Master)

rust
05-22-2005, 10:17 AM
Soft goods look a lot more real.

IMO, Hasbro's probably using more soft goods to conserve oil. Ther just need to go to dumps and recycle and SW Toys are Eco-Firendly.

WesleySr
05-22-2005, 03:02 PM
Soft goods look a lot more real.

IMO, Hasbro's probably using more soft goods to conserve oil. Ther just need to go to dumps and recycle and SW Toys are Eco-Firendly.

My point exactly, they look more real. They dont wear plastic capes in the movies, so why should the toys have them, especially when the cloth looks better.

ROTJLuke
05-22-2005, 03:39 PM
I would like to see good VOTC versions of Qui-Gon, Anakin/Obi-Wan (ep III) and Sidious (ep I-III)...

WesleySr
05-22-2005, 03:44 PM
I would like to see good VOTC versions of Qui-Gon, Anakin/Obi-Wan (ep III) and Sidious (ep I-III)...

Just as long as they give Sidious the correct RED lightsaber instead of the one that came with Palpatine (#35). Are they ever gonna correct that figure?

Devo
05-22-2005, 04:13 PM
My point exactly, they look more real. They dont wear plastic capes in the movies, so why should the toys have them, especially when the cloth looks better.

The problem is the figures and cloth aren't big enough for the soft goods to have the weight to drape realistically. Plastic may look plastic (though with recent figures such as the prequel senatorial figs it doesn't so much) but it is better suited to capturing folds and the natural sit of robes on figures of this size.

I agree soft goods were used to perfect effect on Luminara unduli and Shaak Ti but for full jedi robes such as Saga Obi-wan pilot it just doesn't look realistic at all

WesleySr
05-22-2005, 04:40 PM
The problem is the figures and cloth aren't big enough for the soft goods to have the weight to drape realistically. Plastic may look plastic (though with recent figures such as the prequel senatorial figs it doesn't so much) but it is better suited to capturing folds and the natural sit of robes on figures of this size.

I agree soft goods were used to perfect effect on Luminara unduli and Shaak Ti but for full jedi robes such as Saga Obi-wan pilot it just doesn't look realistic at all

I see your point. But there are ways to make the folds in the fabric that Hasbro could look into. My son has a Magneto (X-Men) figure that has a cloth cape. Sewn in the bottom of the cape is a thin metal rod. The rod is bendable to create the folded look at the bottom of the cape.

beckmen
05-22-2005, 04:44 PM
I don't get it at all, I think they look REALLY fake.

And the characters don't wear plastic capes/cloaks in the movies, but they don't wear plastic clothing and their faces aren't made out of plastic either. Plastic capes and cloaks look better because they blend with the plastic of the over-all figure...

Plus what Devo said...

WesleySr
05-22-2005, 04:48 PM
I don't get it at all, I think they look REALLY fake.

And the characters don't wear plastic capes/cloaks in the movies, but they don't wear plastic clothing and their faces aren't made out of plastic either. Plastic capes and cloaks look better because they blend with the plastic of the over-all figure...

Plus what Devo said...

You cannot honestly tell me that you think Saesee Tiin (#30) and Luminara Unduli (#31) would look better with plactic capes?

Devo
05-22-2005, 04:58 PM
You cannot honestly tell me that you think Saesee Tiin (#30) and Luminara Unduli (#31) would look better with plactic capes?

I like saesee tinn but I wouldn't be citing him as an example of 'soft goods done well'. The colour of the cloth doesn't match the plastic and it doesn't have the pleated detail of luminara and shaak's dresses, it looks quite plain.

Actually I'm not quite as opposed to soft goods as I used to be - in fact I'd like to see them come with any VOTC style jedi figures.

WesleySr
05-23-2005, 06:53 AM
I like saesee tinn but I wouldn't be citing him as an example of 'soft goods done well'. The colour of the cloth doesn't match the plastic and it doesn't have the pleated detail of luminara and shaak's dresses, it looks quite plain.

Actually I'm not quite as opposed to soft goods as I used to be - in fact I'd like to see them come with any VOTC style jedi figures.

OK, then I will use Shaak Ti (#21) & Luminara Unduli (#31) as my examples of the 'soft goods done well' from now on. I still like the Saesee Tiin, but now that you mention it, the color is somewhat off.

ROTJLuke
05-23-2005, 08:08 AM
I like the soft goods cloaks and capes. Their nice and they look better than plastic on some figures...

Devo
05-23-2005, 03:27 PM
OK, then I will use Shaak Ti (#21) & Luminara Unduli (#31) as my examples of the 'soft goods done well' from now on. I still like the Saesee Tiin, but now that you mention it, the color is somewhat off.

Dooku, actually, is another one I like for the soft goods and also the superb sculpt and articulation of course.

I don't think there needed to be another revised Dooku after this one. Its really quite VOTC enough for me - I'm not sure of the details of the new one that someone mentioned was on the way but the only articulation this one is lacking, which a new figure could add, is a ball-jointed neck - which I'm not fond of on figures such as VOTC Han, VOTC Leia, ROTS Mace Windu and Saga Admiral Ozzel so I'd rather Hasbro didn't do this on any figure which doesn't have a helmet. Otherwise it makes the neck look too long and the hairline has to be cropped short at the back - Look how short Hans hair is on the VOTC figure and compare it to the film.

I notice people in their lists have tried to copy how Hasbro chose its characters for VOTC - ie - no character more than once, a Han solo from ANH but not for ESB or ROTJ. I'd have trouble making a list like that because the prequels really need VOTC style figures for the main characters from all three films. If Hasbro had only got these right in the collection 1 rounds in each movie year instead of all this action feature nonsense for 4 year olds stores wouldn't have been blighted with pegwarmers which then convince retailers that the Star wars line isn't worth carrying.

beckmen
05-23-2005, 04:52 PM
You're making me nautious. It's like your telling me garbage tastes yummy!

PloKoon2385
05-23-2005, 05:54 PM
Ummm... I'm sorry to break up this compelling conversation about soft goods and eating garbage :D But I seemed to have missed something. What is this "Evolution" set that is being discussed? Are there any pics?

PloKoon2385
05-23-2005, 05:56 PM
Oh and by the way, I think the soft goods, when used correctly (aka, Dooku, Luminara, Shaak Ti) are brilliant. The royal guard wasn't so great. And soft goods have been abused in the past...
And, garbage is gross.

Sith Lord 0498
05-23-2005, 06:51 PM
Ummm... I'm sorry to break up this compelling conversation about soft goods and eating garbage :D But I seemed to have missed something. What is this "Evolution" set that is being discussed? Are there any pics?

The Evolutions sets are 3-packs of newly-sculpted figures designed to showcase the evolution of a character or organization. They have interchangeable hands, multiple accessories, VOTC articulation, soft goods, etc.

There are 3 sets of 3 figures each

Anakin to Vader: AOTC Anakin, ROTS Anakin, Vader
Sith Lords: Darth Maul, Darth Tyranus, Darth Sidious
Clones: AOTC Clonetrooper (w/ young clone head), ROTS Clone Commander (w/ Jango head), and Sandtrooper.

Here's the link to Entertainment Earth's listings.

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HS85727

beckmen
05-24-2005, 12:25 AM
If I find the Evolutions I'll probably buy them. I only really WANT the Clone/Stormies becuase the others have horrible-looking soft goods, but I'll probably break down...

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on the soft goods...

WesleySr
05-24-2005, 07:16 AM
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on the soft goods...

As long as we can do it without fighting, I am happy. I do have to agree that there have been several soft goods figures in the past that really suck. But, if done correctly, they can be really awesome. Which is the case with Shaak Ti (#21), Luminara Unduli (#31), & Count Dooku (#13), which I had forgotten about.