PDA

View Full Version : ROTS Box Office Returns (merged)

yoda83
05-20-2005, 03:22 PM
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/topnews.php?id=9709

Star Wars Breaks Box Office Records
Source: ComingSoon.net
May 20, 2005

While Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith was expected to have a big opening, no one expected it to be this big! George Lucas' third and final prequel in the "Star Wars" saga earned an incredible $50 million from 3,661 theaters on Thursday alone. That's an average of $13,661 per location for just one day.

The $50 million opening, which includes $16.5 million from midnight screenings, blows away the $40.4 million opening day record held previously by Spider-Man 2 from 4,152 theaters, and it also marks the biggest single day ever at the North American box office, beating Shrek 2's $44.8 million from 4,163 theaters.

In comparison, 1999's Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace debuted to $28.5 million in 2,970 theaters and 2002's Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones to $30.1 million in 3,161 locations.

Released by 20th Century Fox, "Revenge of the Sith" was produced for about $113 million.

El Chuxter
05-20-2005, 04:40 PM
Big deal. Ticket prices are double what they were just a couple of years ago.

That's not a complaint about the movie. That's a complaint about the theater industry. ;)

Veers
05-20-2005, 09:50 PM
Wow! I hope it breaks alot of records.

darthvyn
05-20-2005, 10:14 PM
Ticket prices are double what they were just a couple of years ago.

not really... i'm pretty sure i paid more for my AOtC tickets than i did for ROtS. moving from NY to NC will do that, but still, i don't think the average price of tickets has doubled since spider-man 2 came out last year. true, the records should be in total TICKET SALES instead of box-office gross, but i'm fairly confident that inflation isn't the cause of the high opening.

2-1B
05-21-2005, 12:06 AM
I kicked in $23 of that 50 mil and look forward to dropping about a hundred more before it leaves theaters ! :)

Slicker
05-21-2005, 04:46 AM
I hear that Cae. I plan on seeing it at least 15 times before it goes to the cheap theaters. I'm very please with the opening and I really hope it knocks Titanic off the top spot.

Sith Lord 0498
05-21-2005, 07:23 AM
I kicked in $23 of that 50 mil and look forward to dropping about a hundred more before it leaves theaters ! :)

And I've dropped $55.50 into that 50 mil till. Unfortunately, $11 of that was wasted because I bought tickets for a showing while forgetting I had to work late that day (quitting at 4:00 and the tix were for 4:20--no way I'd make a 35-40 minute trip in 20!!!)

DarthBrandon
05-21-2005, 01:28 PM

I'm up to $40 myself & will do the same before it leaves as well. I can't wait for this dam thing to hit video. :D

JEDIpartner
05-21-2005, 06:42 PM
Big deal. Ticket prices are double what they were just a couple of years ago.

No they aren't. I paid $7.50 for my ticket 3 years ago. I still have the stub.

DarthQuack
05-21-2005, 07:54 PM
Checked out TheForce.net and it said that early figures show that ROTS made $35million yesterday making the total for Thursday and Friday $85million. I have contributed to two shows so far going to my 3rd Monday morning :)

2-1B
05-21-2005, 11:39 PM
Kicked in another $15 for the Saturday take, and on Sunday I'm doing another $14.25

I can't give George my money fast enough ! ! ! :crazed:

General_Grievous
05-22-2005, 12:40 PM
http://www.imdb.com/chart/

IN JUST FOUR DAYS!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

moulman
05-22-2005, 02:59 PM
But it didnt break the all time weekend boxoffice record:( . Only if would of just came out on Friday...

JediTricks
05-22-2005, 05:24 PM
If it had come out next week, it could have sailed through on the momentum of the Memorial Day weekend.

DarthQuack
05-22-2005, 05:49 PM
Yea, I was a little disappointed too that it didn't top freaking Spidey for the box office record. Oh well, I can still hope it will destroy Titanic's box office total.

General_Grievous
05-22-2005, 06:36 PM
Yes, but you guys are forgetting something. Spider-Man didn't make nearly $160 million in its first four days. And if you ask me, I say that ROTS will make another $70-80 million due to Memorial Day weekend. I'm going again (for the FIFTH time) on Friday. "The Longest Yard" and "Madagascar" don't stand a chance.

Slicker
05-22-2005, 08:19 PM
I'm not too disappointed. I see a very good Memorial Day weekend coming up to make me feel better about it.

TheDarthVader
05-22-2005, 09:28 PM
Didn't the movie set the four day record?

B.
TDV

Slicker
05-23-2005, 02:05 AM
I would have to assume that it did seeing as it beat Shrek 2's opening by about 7 million and lost to Spiderman by about 5 million if I'm correct so that would make it the tops by 2 million.

CaptainSolo1138
05-23-2005, 09:45 AM
A touch off topic, but if you look at the cast list for E3 on IMDB, they list Nien Numb (sp?). Never heard he was in it.

BanthaPoodoo
05-23-2005, 04:05 PM
Worldwide is $303 MILLION!!!

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=starwars3.htm

Course it cost $133 MIL to make... $200 MIL profit tough aint too shabby!

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
05-23-2005, 09:34 PM
I wonder how many more millions the film would have made if not for the thousands of people who have obtained pirated copies of the movie and thus will not spend their money at the box office.

Case in point today, my brother was teaching today and gave out a test that the students finished about 15 minutes leaving 25 minutes of dead time. That time was normally a study period, but a student had the cajones to ask him if he could show the class the DVD of ROTS that he downloaded from the internet.

When asked if the copy had poor imaging or if the user videotaped it or whatever, the student replied that it was in pristine condition and the only negatives to it, were numbers that flash in the upper corner of the screen. There are probably thousands of young people like him across the country.

DarthQuack
05-23-2005, 10:09 PM
Sad souls.....just go to the theater and experience it the way you should, on the BIG SCREEN.

Darth Kirk
05-24-2005, 12:05 AM
The film reached milestones for 1, 2, 3 and 4 day records in the US, (not weekend) but the 3 day total from Thursday to Saturday was 124 million, 10 better than 'Spidey'... The cumulative international take was almost 20 mil more than the international total for the opening of 'Return of the King'- and that film had an extra day, Wednesday, to accumulate its' total.. It will be interesting to see how this film's legs hold up under the pressure of our ADD- based movie going public.. We shall see.. It will also be interesting to see how the pirate of the film effects its' total, it is impossible to tell how much it will effect its' final outcome.. Though if I remember correctly, 'Titanic' had its' academy copy pirated in December of 1997, thus it was also pristine but on video, and it still went on to make that crazy 600 mil total.. The funny thing is though that the pirate of ROTS is a pristine copy with the time code, and one can only wonder which buffoon, at either 20th or Lucasfilm leaked the film, some disgruntled employee??
Ultimately though, the film can be considered a true success based on greater satisfaction by most of the movie going public thus far.. :)

Won-Dum Jedi
05-24-2005, 08:11 AM
I'm so happy it's made all this money and has broken all these records. The saga deserves to end it's theatrical dominance on a high note.

Jek Porky 2002
05-24-2005, 10:39 AM
I know it's not about breaking records and all that, but it would be so nice for ROTS to knock Titanic from the top spot!

BanthaPoodoo
05-24-2005, 11:56 AM
They should have went to the movies & seen it, thats what I did & am going to do again this weekend (as well as Madagascar!)...

I feel bad for the folks that wasted all that bandwidth on some crappy rip with numbers rolling across the top... dummies should have waited, there is now one without the number across the top...

Thats right. Some dude sat there & used a program like virtualdub to remove the numbers.... blurry on the top, but still more watchable than the numbers rolling.....

Theres even someone on ebay with enough stones to sell copies of it on DVD!!! Idiot!!

CaptainSolo1138
05-24-2005, 12:16 PM
Wow. That takes some major grapes to put that sucker on there. I'd put a link, but I don't really think it's worth anyone's time :rolleyes: .

Sith Lord 0498
05-24-2005, 05:05 PM
I know it's not about breaking records and all that, but it would be so nice for ROTS to knock Titanic from the top spot!

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that to happen. Even if both movies held the same appeal with audiences across all demographics, Titanic will still remain number 1 for a single reason: Fox released it in December, and that meant Titanic had no real competition for months. Star Wars films have always been released in the summer and therefore have to compete with summer films. Within the next four weeks alone, we'll be getting Madagascar, Batman Begins, War of the Worlds, Mr. and Mrs. Smith, etc. Episode III won't be able to keep them all at bay, and its box office will suffer.

sith_killer_99
05-24-2005, 07:49 PM
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that to happen. Even if both movies held the same appeal with audiences across all demographics, Titanic will still remain number 1 for a single reason: Fox released it in December, and that meant Titanic had no real competition for months. Star Wars films have always been released in the summer and therefore have to compete with summer films. Within the next four weeks alone, we'll be getting Madagascar, Batman Begins, War of the Worlds, Mr. and Mrs. Smith, etc. Episode III won't be able to keep them all at bay, and its box office will suffer.

Plus there is the fact that this monstrosity was in theaters for like 18 months, at least it sure felt that way. Titanic had one thing going for it, on a date...it was a "sure thing"! :crazed: I knew guys who took 5-6 different girls to see this filck, how can you compete with that?!?!

Anyway, looking at it realistically, it will never top Titanic as the top grossing film of all time. However it could still take the top spot for US box office $$$$. That's only $600 million, compared to 1.8 billion worldwide.

BTW, "Gone with the Wind" is still the top dog with adjusted ticket sales. But then it has had a lot longer to rake in the bucks.

I never saw Titanic at the theater. :p

Jek Porky 2002
05-25-2005, 04:52 AM
BTW, "Gone with the Wind" is still the top dog with adjusted ticket sales. But then it has had a lot longer to rake in the bucks.

It would be intresting to see a list of adjusted ticket sales! The one that we are used to refering to is a bit unfair really, due to inflation! Most of the films in it are from the last 5-10 years.

Has anybody got a list...?

Slicker
05-25-2005, 05:51 AM
Here ya go Mr. Porky. (http://www.boxofficereport.com/atbon/adjusted.shtml) A quick google search turned this up. Gone with the Wind would've made 1.2 BILLION dollars. Damn!!!

DarthQuack
05-30-2005, 01:20 PM
The final installment of George Lucas' "Star Wars" saga grossed $271.2 million domestically in its first 12 days, putting it on pace to soar beyond the $310 million total for its predecessor, "Star Wars: Episode II -- Attack of the Clones."

Worldwide through Sunday, "Revenge of the Sith" had taken in $504.4 million since its almost simultaneous debut in most countries beginning May 18.

Both from Monday's numbers according to Yahoo News.

DarthQuack
05-30-2005, 01:22 PM
Worldwide through Sunday, "Revenge of the Sith" had taken in $504.4 million since its almost simultaneous debut in most countries beginning May 18.

The final installment of George Lucas' "Star Wars" saga grossed $271.2 million domestically in its first 12 days, putting it on pace to soar beyond the $310 million total for its predecessor, "Star Wars: Episode II -- Attack of the Clones."

So far according to Yahoo News.

PS ROTS is up to 26th on the all time box office list :)

James Boba Fettfield
05-30-2005, 01:59 PM
Very glad it's doing so well. Also surprised to see how well it's held up this weekend against The Longest Yard and Madagascar. Looks like it should do well next weekend considering what movies are opening.

General_Grievous
05-30-2005, 03:07 PM
It made nearly $10 million more than Madagascar. Now I think it will be bumped from the #1 spot by one of these three movies:

Either

A) Cinderella Man (June 3)- Now, a lot of people will see this movie, but more will see ROTS that weekend. It looks like a good movie, but not blockbuster material. Odds that it will dethrone "Sith": Very low

B) Mr. and Mrs. Smith (June 10)- Only for the simple fact that many people will see it because of the Brad Pitt-Angelina Jolie offscreen romance. Odds that it will dethrone "Sith": Moderate

or

C) Batman Begins (June 15)- I think that this will definitely dethrone ROTS because a lot of people want to see Batman, and by then everyone who'll be in line for Batman will have probably already seen ROTS. Odds that it will dethrone "Sith": Very high

That's my prediction. I think ROTS will be on top of the heap until Batman shows up.

Jek Porky 2002
06-01-2005, 05:52 AM
Thanks for the list Slicker! I found that really intresting!

Veers
06-05-2005, 11:13 PM
Star Wars Revenge of the Sith had a weekend take of $26 million bringing a total of $308 million so far domestically. Will any movie ever break Titanic's $600 million dollar box office amount. I know it will not happen, but I hope it breaks Titanic's.

Here is the updated list for this past weekends box office reports.

http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/boxoffice/

Here is the link to all time box office amount. I cannot believe Empire Strikes Back only made $290 million. That is the best movie out of the 6 Star Wars movie.

http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/boxoffice/alltime/

JimJamBonds
06-05-2005, 11:16 PM
Well I have to say I did what I could to help out, Uncle George got 22 more of my dollars between Saturday and Sunday. :D

Jim Jam

Kidhuman
06-05-2005, 11:58 PM
It is quiet possible, but I dont htink it would reach thta high domestically. If Titanics total is world wide, it has it hands down

Bacta Beast
06-06-2005, 12:27 AM
That's the problem I have with people that gripe about the prequels. C'mon you don't want "Titanic" to keep "Star Wars" down do you?!!!! :eek: C'MON!!!!!!

2-1B
06-06-2005, 01:23 AM
All I want is it to do well enough for theaters to keep it playing into early August so I can see it a few more times like I did with Clones.

I probably won't bother with any budget theater showings in Sept/Oct, I'll let it rest until the DVD comes out.

shammykenobi
06-06-2005, 10:35 AM
I have a question...the 600 million that Titanic took in...did that include the DVD or VHS release when that came out? Because don't they include that in the final tally to see how much a movie made? If that's the case, then when ROTS comes out on DVD there could be a good chance that it will top 600 million.

JimJamBonds
06-06-2005, 10:47 AM
I have a question...the 600 million that Titanic took in...did that include the DVD or VHS release when that came out? Because don't they include that in the final tally to see how much a movie made? If that's the case, then when ROTS comes out on DVD there could be a good chance that it will top 600 million.

I'm not sure about that, as far as I knew its just at the box office itself not home purchases.

ROTS has taken another record, quickest to 300 million in 17 days one day less then it took for Shrek 2.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/fastest.htm?page=300&p=.htm

Jim Jam

ThePurpleSaber
06-06-2005, 11:11 AM
I cannot believe Empire Strikes Back only made $290 million. That is the best movie out of the 6 Star Wars movie.

You have to understand that it made $290million when movie ticket prices were only like $2 dollars a ticket or something like that. Put that total w/ today's prices and it most likely would shatter the Titanic record.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-06-2005, 11:50 AM

According to internet movie database (imdb.com) the movie Titanic grossed 600 million domestically. Their worldwide gross as of December 2003 was an astonishing 1.83 billion dollars.

Worldwide rentals (which are not included in a ranking's of a movie's gross, only theatre admissions are) were 900 million dollars.

There is no way Episode III will ever eclipse to that. Titanic remember was a sleeper hit. The movie made good money the first few weeks, but picked up excellent word of mouth and made tons of money during the early weeks of 1998. Titanic also appealed to just about every demographic of movie fan, from young to old, from drama lover to even action lover, the appeal for that movie had no boundaries.

JimJamBonds
06-06-2005, 12:04 PM
You have to understand that it made $290million when movie ticket prices were only like $2 dollars a ticket or something like that. Put that total w/ today's prices and it most likely would shatter the Titanic record.

According to the following website http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm ESB would take down Titanic, but Titanic would need readjustment and would again overtake it. However "Frankly ThePurpleSaber, I don't give a damn" ;) and Gone with the Wind wins out over everybody.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-06-2005, 10:06 PM
According to the following website http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm ESB would take down Titanic, but Titanic would need readjustment and would again overtake it. However "Frankly ThePurpleSaber, I don't give a damn" ;) and Gone with the Wind wins out over everybody.

Many of those adjusted figures are misleading, simply because they don't take into effect one major factor, audience population. In this country during the 1930's, there may have been (and this is a random guess) something like 150 - 180 million people. Compare that with a population now of over 300 million. 90% of a theatre audience may have seen "Gone with the Wind" or "The Wizard of Oz." when they came out. Yet, simply based on ticket price the Wizard of Oz does not rank nearly as high as it should. Just something to consider.

JimJamBonds
06-06-2005, 10:46 PM
Many of those adjusted figures are misleading, simply because they don't take into effect one major factor, audience population. In this country during the 1930's, there may have been (and this is a random guess) something like 150 - 180 million people. Compare that with a population now of over 300 million. 90% of a theatre audience may have seen "Gone with the Wind" or "The Wizard of Oz." when they came out. Yet, simply based on ticket price the Wizard of Oz does not rank nearly as high as it should. Just something to consider.

Thats a good point there LBC, the way I look at it is that those numbers can be adjusted in so many different ways creating so many different #1's its not all that possible to say this one specific movie is THE all time #1. It should probably be looked at in the sense of well in the 30's it was this movie and in the 50's it was... etc.

Jim Jam

2-1B
06-14-2005, 12:46 AM
A touch off topic, but if you look at the cast list for E3 on IMDB, they list Nien Numb (sp?). Never heard he was in it.

I don't think it's Nien Nunb himself, but I did notice a Sullustan in the movie, I think maybe in the Opera House ?

I did see one, though. :)

CaptainSolo1138
06-14-2005, 09:17 AM
Oh, I see you found my EARLIER post on this. ;)

In the Opera House, eh? That's interesting. I would have guessed he was in the Rebellion cut scene. I'll have to keep my eyes open and away form George "Violet Beauregarde" Lucas' ugly mug for a change.