PDA

View Full Version : Dumbest moment in the Prequels is...

stillakid
05-20-2005, 08:32 PM
Well, Padme dying from a broken heart certainly is riding high on the list, but it doesn't win. That honor will go to C3PO getting flung around by that flying machine thing on Geonosis in AOTC. Thankfully, the IMAX cut excised that one, but it still sits like a virus on my DVD at home.

Slicker
05-20-2005, 09:40 PM
Although the 3PO moments disgust me to no end I'd have to say the dumbest moment in the Prequels was R2 doing all of the crazy stuff he does in the movies (mainly II and III) like his rockets, his oil spill, catching the comlink, dragging 3PO around, etc.

Veers
05-20-2005, 10:46 PM
I think it was when Anakin was riding one of those huge creatures in the prairie fields of Naboo, while Padme is watching in AOTC.

Tiggertheterrible
05-20-2005, 11:01 PM
I think it was when Anakin was riding one of those huge creatures in the prairie fields of Naboo, while Padme is watching in AOTC.

Oh, I'd have to agree on that one! Why is he "surfing" on the creature instead of riding it like a horse??? That irritates me to no end!!!!!

darko666
05-20-2005, 11:59 PM
anakin: your beautiful.

padme: thats only because i'm in love with you.

anakin: no, it's because i'm in love with you.

what the hell, was this written by a 4th grader? that scene gets the oscar for worst scene and dialouge in any movie. it's so bad, that i have to laugh to make it bearable to watch.

2-1B
05-21-2005, 12:38 AM
Without a doubt, the dumbest thing in the prequels is C-3P0 playing spider-man and then traipsing around with the wrong head and body. C-3P0 is not funny and should not have been allowed that "comedy" routine.

That Ani/Padme scene in ROTS is very very cheesy but I loved it ! :D

Sith Lord 0498
05-21-2005, 07:20 AM
;)
anakin: your beautiful.

padme: thats only because i'm in love with you.

anakin: no, it's because i'm in love with you.

what the hell, was this written by a 4th grader? that scene gets the oscar for worst scene and dialouge in any movie. it's so bad, that i have to laugh to make it bearable to watch.

If it hadn't been for those last two lines, that scene would've been a very realistic, emotional scene. Right up until Padme's line, I was thinking "Well this time around I can actually believe they're in love. This is good." Afterwards, I thought "Yeah, that was lame."

I'd have to say that the Anakin riding the shaak in AOTC and the entire C-3PO droid factory scene were the two dumbest moments.

Although...Episode I itself takes the cake as the dumbest moment of the PT.

sith_killer_99
05-21-2005, 10:26 AM
Well, my vote goes to the Vader/Frankinstein breaking away from the table yelling "NOOoooooo....."

It was all I could do to keep from:

1. Laughing out loud.

2. Gouging my eyes out and ripping my ears off.

3. Throwing up on the spot.

4. Getting up and walking out of the theater.

basschick
05-21-2005, 10:56 AM
r2 has been beloved for more than a generation without him doing all the stuff that basically makes him an entirely other character (why mess with something that works SO well?) but i think my award goes to:

*shudder*

Tiggertheterrible
05-21-2005, 12:12 PM
Well, my vote goes to the Vader/Frankinstein breaking away from the table yelling "NOOoooooo....."

It was all I could do to keep from:

1. Laughing out loud.

2. Gouging my eyes out and ripping my ears off.

3. Throwing up on the spot.

4. Getting up and walking out of the theater.

I think that scene would've been so much better if he had just remained silent. Since you can no longer see his face, it'd leave us to wonder what all was going through his mind; anger, regret, sorrow (obviously), and so on.

General_Grievous
05-21-2005, 12:46 PM
Well, there's one for all three movies:

I: The Eopie fart. Way too childish.

II: The whole Threepio subplot. Just an annoying distraction. He should have just stayed on the damn ship.

III: When Palpatine is about to shock Mace and he does that stupid "No! No! No! No! YOU HAVE LOST!" line. Just the way he delivered it sounded just dumb.

Sith Lord 0498
05-21-2005, 04:33 PM
When Palpatine is about to shock Mace and he does that stupid "No! No! No! No! YOU HAVE LOST!" line. Just the way he delivered it sounded just dumb.

I thought the same way the first time I saw ROTS, but on second and third viewings I found myself liking that line. Consider the fact that Sidious has had to supress his true hatred of the Jedi for more than a decade. Now that he can finally express it...well, the crazy old man is out of his freakin' mind. :D

MrMet
05-21-2005, 07:40 PM
Can not believe nobody metioned the whole journey through the planets core garbage in the TPM. Allthough I hated just about every moment of this movie, this garbage sticks out most. Has anyone thought how much better trilogy could have been if they started with AotC instead of TPM. I mean they could have summed up Ani's childhood in about the first 20 minutes of AotC then went 10 years ahead. Hehehehe that damn Phantom Menace just gets me fired up all together.

Turbowars
05-21-2005, 09:17 PM
I think it was when Anakin was riding one of those huge creatures in the prairie fields of Naboo, while Padme is watching in AOTC.Nope this is #1 without a doubt. Are the people that make this film that afraid of Lucas to say something to him?

2-1B
05-22-2005, 12:37 AM
I thought Palps said "you will die", not "you have lost."

I could be wrong.

bobafrett
05-22-2005, 01:45 AM
The fact that most of the Jedi were taken out without much, if any, of a fight. Aalya Secura comes to mind. The Jedi fought of blasters in AOTC, why not here? Those scenes just happened way to fast, you would think the Jedi would "sense" what was about to happen, and raise a saber blade to try to fend off any attack.

Sith Lord 0498
05-22-2005, 10:31 AM
The fact that most of the Jedi were taken out without much, if any, of a fight. Aalya Secura comes to mind. The Jedi fought of blasters in AOTC, why not here? Those scenes just happened way to fast, you would think the Jedi would "sense" what was about to happen, and raise a saber blade to try to fend off any attack.

I think the reason the Jedi didn't sense the attack is twofold: 1) Jedi weren't focusing their senses on any threat from their clonetroopers because why would they?; and 2) the Clones were just mindlessly following orders and therefore didn't exude any sense of malice.

2-1B
05-22-2005, 11:05 AM
"Only Imperial Stormtroopers are so precise." lol

Turbowars
05-22-2005, 11:43 AM
Hey come on, they are better shots than Sandpeople. ;)

good shot jansen
05-22-2005, 12:18 PM
okay, just a few of what irks me through the trilogy

anakin building c3po - did palpy erase anakin's memory banks while captain antilles was erasing 3po's?, ani didn't even get the slightest rwinge of force nudge while 3po was strapped to chewie's back in the carbon freeze chamber. i know, i know, there are lots of protocal droids in the galaxy.....but with that voice? 3po never shut up for a moment while in the carbon freezing chamber, what with him telling chewbacca to turn around, and oh he should be well perserved, and the ilk. vader didn't even throw a momentary glance in his direction. :rolleyes:

aurra sing - why on earth give prominent screen time to a character in the middle of the big scene of tpm, and then *poof* not even a peep about her again

zam wesel - see above, coulda woulda shoulda been aurra sing

"this is such a drag" - this misrable line that 3po utters when r2 is draggin' his head around the arena on genosis. (this stuck out the most for me as annoying during the c3po comedy scenes of attack of the clones, i actually wouldn't have minded it so much, if the line he used was a nod to the ot instead of an outright shot at comedy relief, something along the lines of esb, "typical", that would have softened the blow a bit, imho).

sypho dias - this whole bit, about a certain jedi, never mentioned before, and then neve again, being given the utmost pivotal moment in the saga. in another thread on this site, someone had mentioned how much better it would have been if palpatine had told ani, that he had ordered the creation of the clone army, that way it would have been a nice tie-in to the anagram of sideous's name, but instead, we are left with obi-wan's misrable dialog in attack of the clones. "the clones were ordered by a jedi named Sypho dias, it was my impression that he died about 10 years ago".....huh??!!!??, mace and yoda don't even blink an eye, not even sypho who? all they say is that the jedi never ordered a clone army, and bring jango fett to them. this whole sypho dias thing really annoyed me when i saw attack of the clones, and now that it has been left without any explanation in revenge of the sith, it really irks me now.

i'm sure there are more, but those are the dumb moments that stick out in my head

Sebulba_Fett
05-22-2005, 01:10 PM
Wow! 20 posts already and no one has mentioned Jar Jar. Crazy. That's ok, since I liked the character, although he could get to be too much at some times. I'm actually kind of interested in knowing what GL had in store orignally for Jar Jar in EII and EIII until everybody threatened to burn him at the stake if he included him again.

And why is everybody hating on R2. Seriously, is it that unbelievable for him to use extra gadgets in the prequels than he does in the OT? I mean if you buy a 2005 model car today, doesn't it come equipped with all kinds of cool "toys" in it? Now, what would it be like if you bought that same 2005 model 20 years from now? Do you actually think that all of those extra features would still be working?

Anyways, my vote goes to Anaking surfing on that stupid hippo thing in AOTC. Dumb, dumb, dumb!

2-1B
05-22-2005, 05:31 PM
GSJ, I think George just decided to allow Obi-Wan that one line in ROTS of "Palpatine was behind everything, including the war" and have that suffice for explanation. The fact that Mace and Yoda don't blink an eye at Sypho's name, it seems to me that they knew who he was, just that he was dead, and so as an audience when we hear Dooku-Tyrannus being named on Kamino and then we see him with Sideous-Palpatine at the end of Clones, I'd say that question is pretty much cleared up. :)

good shot jansen
05-22-2005, 06:57 PM
GSJ, I think George just decided to allow Obi-Wan that one line in ROTS of "Palpatine was behind everything, including the war" and have that suffice for explanation. The fact that Mace and Yoda don't blink an eye at Sypho's name, it seems to me that they knew who he was, just that he was dead, and so as an audience when we hear Dooku-Tyrannus being named on Kamino and then we see him with Sideous-Palpatine at the end of Clones, I'd say that question is pretty much cleared up. :)

i know, and the bottom line is yes, that's all there is to that. it just irks me, that such a huge event in the star wars galaxy is given to a one time mentioned character, that we have no information about. it almost seems that we know what brand of pj's nemoidians sleep in, or what brand of soap twi'leks use to get their skin so silky smooth, yet we have no idea who sypho dias is. was he the intermediary apprentice of sideous before he decided on dooku? was he some well meaning, self guided jedi who felt that the creation of a clone army was a future necessity? i would have perfered it, if yoda, mace, and obi had never heard the name before, and felt that this syfo dias character was another question in the mystery of the sith. i just don't like the fact, that they all know his name, they knew him as a jedi, yet no one questions why would he order a clone army, or even question where on earth did he get the funds to have business dealings with the kamonians? obviously, we know that the funds came from the trade federation, and associated clans under the spell of sideous, but mace, yoda and obi-wan do not. now that we are done with the saga, he reamins in my mind, the one true phantom menace.

2-1B
05-22-2005, 10:47 PM
Since Dooku hired Jango to be the clone donor I'd say he also had his hand in ordering the army under the alias Syfo-Dyas and since Dooku was once a Jedi, he knew who Syfo-Dyas was as well.

I think the EU says that the real Jedi Syfo-Dyas ordered the clone army and then got killed but I don't know how much faith should be put in that claim. :confused:

Sith Lord 0498
05-23-2005, 07:10 AM
Since Dooku hired Jango to be the clone donor I'd say he also had his hand in ordering the army under the alias Syfo-Dyas and since Dooku was once a Jedi, he knew who Syfo-Dyas was as well.

I think the EU says that the real Jedi Syfo-Dyas ordered the clone army and then got killed but I don't know how much faith should be put in that claim. :confused:

Since GL decided to back out on his assurance that we'd learn the truth in ROTS and left that plot thread dangling instead, we really don't have any choice but to look to the EU for answers. Besides, Labyrinth of Evil is considered by Lucas to be the literary lead-in to ROTS. It seems as though everything he couldn't address in the movie got relegated here as well as Clone Wars 21-25.

JON9000
05-23-2005, 10:50 AM
The Eopie fart. Way too childish.
That took the cake. Toilet humor in Star Wars?

GCrusher23
05-24-2005, 02:53 AM
You guys have some pretty good arguments, but my biggest WTF moment is in AotC when Anakin and Padme are sitting in the dark room on Naboo with the fireplace. It feels so awkward to see Lucas cut to two people in a very passionate setting just sitting there...

MaquisWarrior
05-24-2005, 05:52 AM
The dumbest scene IMO was when Vader asks for Padme and the Emperor says:"Oh in your rage you killed her, my friend!" Why should Vader care at this point if his old lady still loves him, how come the Emperor wasn't hurt but the med droids were destroted. The FrankenVader sequence where he escapes from his straps. But yet, as that happened during the end montage you see Vader and Palpy standing side to side as "pals" I expected one of them to bust out a 40 or Jack Daniels and split it between them.

MaquisWarrior
05-24-2005, 06:05 AM
Im TPM the whole "our people are dying Senator" snippets; and all the Gungan scenes
Maybe if LFL showen more action this s would be MUYMUY!

Jek Porky 2002
05-24-2005, 10:37 AM
Still not very comfortable with the whole R2 flying thing!!

Anakin riding the Shaak really didn't bother me to be honest, I don't see what people's problems are, I know the effects aren't too brilliant, but I don't think it's that over the top.

Little things like the creature that shouts "Whathe" in the coruscant chase scene and "Jedi Poodoo" really irritate me! Also the rickshaw droid "okie dokie".

Dexter Jettster's robot waitress, way over the top.

Battle Droids: Didn't bother me in episode I and II, but the voices in Episode III were shocking, I think they were voiced by the same person as Taun We, too high pitched, very cheesy!!

Jar Jar, could have been sooo much better if they'd have just toned him down. In particular the submarine sequence and final battle in TPM.

But the single worst moment of the prequels has got to be the C-3PO droid factory scene, very Disney!!

CaptainSolo1138
05-24-2005, 10:47 AM
While not quite as bad a the Droid Factory sequence, the stupid hug-and-roll-down-a-hill in the meadow in AotC gets my vote. That scene gets skipped whenever I watch it.

Elliejabbapop
05-24-2005, 01:29 PM
Well, Padme dying from a broken heart certainly is riding high on the list, but it doesn't win.

It happens my friend, I've seen it (unfortunately) :(
Anyone who's ever been in love (TRULY) can confirm that love is LAME in its essence, that's one of the reasons it's never perfect, be bothered :)

Personally I think Natalie's accent is annoying ("EEWWnsers", are you kidding me? :dead: )

vader121
05-24-2005, 03:26 PM
Ep1
-Any Ep1 scene with JarJar. Just irritates me to no end.
-The horrid acting of Jake Lloyd in Ep1
-Watto, just annoying
-Almost all of the Pod Racers. These were very cartoonish.
-The stupid two-headed announcer at the Pod race
-The Neimodians. What's with the French accent
-The Gungan - Battle Droid battle itself was so cartoonish. The setup was cool but the battle was so dumb
-Underwater sub segment was ok but the fact that a big fish tries to eat the sub gets eaten by a bigger fish who in turn gets eated by an even bigger fish was seemed like it was from the mind of a child.
-The ending space battle was a complete joke. Way too short and way to dumb how Anakin happens to fly into the ship and happens to hit the right button which happens to destroy something vital on the ship was laughable.
-the annoying blaster sounds of the Naboo guns
-Boss Nass's slobbering speeches
-how a 16 yr old girl can have flirty conversations with a 8 yr old boy is downright criminal
etc. (PM sucks)

Ep2
-The riding of the large tick was over the top
-Watto scenes
-all the 'romantic' scenes were forced and unnerving
-the Coruscant chase scene annoys me
-Zam Wessell was stupid and the changer thing looked so fake. Hot actress though :classic:
-the bar scene which was supposed to be like the Cantina scene was so amateur.
-Droid factory with C3po was dumb
-how Padme all of a sudden realizes she loves Anakin right before they die was bad
-the swirling saber tricks by Obiwan right before he slays the Acklay were misplaced
-the stupid clicking voice sounds of the Geonisian leader was annoying
-all ep1 alien characters that were in ep2 were still terrible
-the fainting of Anakin after Dooku cuts his hand off
-the fainting of Obiwan after Dooku tosses him aside
-the heavy sigh by Dooku when Yoda enters
-the saber battle between Dooku and Yoda was cartoonish
-how Anakin and Padme just steal C3po. No explanation on that one.
etc.

Ep3
-that 'beautiful' dialog between Padme and Anakin
-Vader asking about Padme. Who cares at that pt? Does he think that she will still love him in that black suit?
-I don't care if it is possible, dying from a broken heart is too hollywood and far-fetched for a epic movie like this.
-the little bug droids from the openning sequence. Dumb
-Grievous coughing (i know why but it is still annoying)
-Slaughtering of the Younglings. Too brutal.
-how the Jedi's went down like rookies. No suitable defense at all.

Alltime worst is any JarJar scene. Ones with him not talking are better but his whole character was a serious mistake.

Elliejabbapop
05-24-2005, 03:37 PM
Someday you'll be in love. ;-)

CaptainSolo1138
05-24-2005, 03:38 PM
too hollywood and far-fetched for a epic movie like this.

"Epic movie"?!?! You talked like they were lame college films. With all the nitpicking and whining you just did, why do you even bother to watch them at all?

Devo
05-24-2005, 03:44 PM
Too numerous for me to be able to tell one dumb moment apart from another.

Not so much a 'moment' as a superfluous, totally unnecessary, pointless superficiality, which Vader121 mentioned - Zam Wessell being a 'shapeshifter'....uhh...why? Why couldn't she just be a human or just that other creature her face changed into very briefly in a blink-and-miss shot? What was the point in her being a changeling? To have a CGI effect which we've seen countless times in countless films and TV shows? Also, yes, since Aurra Sing for some reason developed her own mythology in comics it should have been her in this role not a new character. Why did everything have to be changed from film to film, new characters, new ships, new clones - does consistency mean nothing to Lucas? I suppose it doesn't when people like us are willing to buy every single toy thats made.

I also really despise every word that comes out of Yoda and Mace Windu's mouths in these films, particularly Episode I. However Yodas line in Ep II 'seeing you alive brings warm feelings to my heart' also stands out. Sam Jacksons contrived 'chin stroking' poses are alse really stupid - you don't even have a beard!!!!!

I haven't seen Episode III yet but I just know Padme's death of a 'broken heart' and Vader's 'nnnooooooooo' are going to annoy the s**t out of me. Firstly, a mother, unless she's mentally deranged, doesn't simply choose to die - she knows that her first responsibility is to her children. And if she thought there was still good in Anakin why wouldn't she stay alive both to raise her children and try to get him redeemed. Secondly, of all the scenes to botch up, why did Lucas have to mess up the scene with Darth Vader in full Vader attire???? Lucas has no clue what subtlety is or at least no idea of its effectiveness. 'Nnnnnooooooooo'???? I expect to see this and his reported frankenstein movements in slow motion. My god that kind of crap no longer has any place in anything other than a spoof.

JimJamBonds
05-24-2005, 11:44 PM
How about that stand in for Mace when he, Yoda, Palps etc. arrive on Naboo at the end of E I? That bugs the hell out of me, couldn't they have put Sam Jackson's face on the stand in?

Jim Jam

tagmac
05-25-2005, 12:11 AM
TPM

- Eeopie farting
- Jar Jar stepping in "icky, icky 'goo'"
- "Yippiee!"
- the moment I realized Darth Maul would only be in the movie for a grand total of 10 minutes.

AOTC

- Aurra Sing hyped to no end after TPM, then "replaced" by Zam Wessel
- Dexter's butt crack
- C-3PO in the droid factory

ROTS

- the "love" dialogue scene - perfect time to leave for the restroom
- R2's behavior on Greivous' ship - it just felt wrong for his character
- the wookiee battle, simply because it was way too short, when we should have gotten to see the full rage of the wookiees (including scenes of Tarfful and Chewie destroying some clones later on)
- Agen Kolar and Saesee Tiin's deaths - they went down way too easy, with not so much as an attempt to block. At least Kit Fisto got a few shots in.
- the moment I realized they'd cut out the scenes with Qui Gon and Mon Mothma/birth of the rebellion

....incidentally, Anakin and Padme' didn't "steal" Threepio. Anakin built him, and so the droid belonged to him. Anakin was simply taking along what was his all along.

Rappertuniewa
05-25-2005, 02:38 AM
I'm disappointed that no-one has bothered to think of Anakin's horrific "I Don't Like Sand" pick-up line in AOTC.

The only thing that's worse than that is George Lucas thinking any woman alive would ever fall for such a horrible line.

Rappertuniewa
05-25-2005, 02:40 AM
Ep1
-how a 16 yr old girl can have flirty conversations with a 8 yr old boy is downright criminal

The ages of the Anakin and Padme in TPM are 9 and 14, respectively.

vader121
05-25-2005, 09:23 AM
Sorry I had the ages wrong but the point remains that a 14 yr old and a 9 yr old
really shouldn't morally be flirting like that. Also, notice that Padme and Anakin seem much closer in age in ep2 and ep3?

Let's get one thing straight I loved Ep3 but it does have faults. I didn't enjoy Ep1 and Ep2 was better but still not great.

My 'nitpicking' is my opinions. Am I the only one who doesn't deserve to voice my opinions on this site? Everyone else sure does.

bkeddinger
05-25-2005, 09:37 AM
Speaking of opinions...Here are mine

EP I:

-Eiope farting... Why cant we just cut out all the body noises i.e. farts, burps, all that childish crap really ticks me off. (farting is not funny, burping is not funny, stepping in Poodoo is not funny...Period)
-Kister's "Wizzard" line and his little Rodian (midget) buddy. If he's supposed to be a Rodian child, why does he look so short and squat. For got's sake, put a real child in that outfit instead of one of your pet "little people".
-Kister and the midget Greedo's missed "high-5". What kind of director wouldn't yell cut at that horrible take. Just shoot it again!
-Anakin's reference to Qui-Gon's "Laser Sword". He knew that he was a Jedi because he was familiar with the weaponry that Qui-Gon carried...therefore he should at least be able to use the right termonilogy.
-Ducks on Naboo (Sub surfacing scene). Did they import them from earth?
-The Nemodian's (at least their faces) should have been CGI. No one can truely be expected to believe that the dialoge spoken by these creatures actually came out of their mouths. You've got a CGI Jar-Jar, Watto, & Sebulba. Why stop there. These guys are 100% poorly designed masks with rudimentary animatronics controlling their mouths. Truely Disappointing.

EP II:
-C-3PO should completely be excised from the Jedi Arena/Droid Factory Scenes. All around, Jedi are dying and we're expected to laugh at C-3PO's antics! Why?
-The "Oh, I've just suddenly realized that I love you" scene before the execution. As a director, if you expect us to believe something, shoot the footage that will make us believe it.
-The "Stolen Kiss" where the John Williams' score comes to an abrubt halt. That completely take me out the move and make me realize that I'm sitting in a theater.

EP III:
-Vader's "Noooooooooo" reallys was aweful! He should have just ripped the room apart in anger. Enough said.
-If you're going to reference Qui-Gon's immortality, put him (voice/spirit) in the movie. The way it was editied into the movie makes it look like an afterthought.
-Jar-Jar's "Excuse me" line. We all saw he, we all knew it was Jar-Jar. We didn't need to hear his annoying voice.
-I could see Palps taking out Mace's supporting Jedi, if he cought them off guard, but there he was, in plain sight right in front of them, saber ignighted, counting to 5, and then attacking. Come on here, these are Jedi Master's. Don't they practice sparring with each other? At least Kit Fisto block one or two thrusts, but the other two...No excuse. Palps should have casually walked up to then and then used his pop-out-saber with a quick stab/slash.
-When did Yoda and Obi-Wan find out that the Chancellor was Sideous? Why did Obi-Wan reference Palpatine as the Emperor (Watching the security tapes) at the same moment Palp's was delcaring the birth of the Empire itself?
-More of a connection should have been made between Vader saving his own life by using up Padme's life force. That would have made things all the more tragic.
-I could be wrong, but the neimodian's lips seemed to track better with their dialog. Nice improvement.

I'm sure that there's more, but I'll leave it at that.

By the way, Sarlacs don't burp, Boba-Fett shouldn't scream like a girl, and if an entire legion of your best troops can get hammered by a bunch of teddy bears with rocks, then you deserve to be overthrown.

MaquisWarrior
05-25-2005, 09:54 AM
My 'nitpicking' is my opinions. Am I the only one who doesn't deserve to voice my opinions on this site? Everyone else sure does.

Vader121, I feel the same way. Don't let these people "rule" you! Post your opinions freely and let the mods kick out out. Don't give some of these dweebs the satisfaction of seeing you leave so that thye can have a private club. Let them start a group somewhere where they can be stupid, snobby, and turn you in if they get offended to what you put! THAT'S THE BOTTOM LINE...I DON'T CARE WHO YOU ARE!! GBA!!!

MaquisWarrior
05-25-2005, 09:57 AM
Sorry I had the ages wrong but the point remains that a 14 yr old and a 9 yr old
really shouldn't morally be flirting like that. When I was a 9 yr old boy I wanted a 14 yr old girl: Now I just keep quiet on the subject or I face jail time for my speech/thoughts here in Imperial controlled L.A.

CaptainSolo1138
05-25-2005, 10:40 AM
And that was mine. I wasn't trying to make it a personal attack or anything (sorry, MaquisWarrior, but I'm not trying to "rule" over anyone :rolleyes: ). All I was saying is that (IMO) plot holes and inconsistancies are one thing. How someone sighs is another. But again, that's just me.

Let them start a group somewhere where they can be stupid, snobby
That's a good idea ;)

Rappertuniewa
05-25-2005, 03:13 PM
Another things that comes to mind is the when sebulba's pod gets owned, he yells out "poodoo" which as i recall was origionally translated in ROTJ as "Fodder" which is generally like a grain feed for livestock....kinda struck me as stupid.

Rappertuniewa
05-25-2005, 03:48 PM
This one certainly doesnt come close to being the worst, however it was, in my opinion, totally lame.

Mace's death. You would think that the Senior Member of the Jedi Council would go out in a heroic blaze of glory. His death seemed lacking.

Sith Lord 0498
05-25-2005, 05:39 PM
Why did Obi-Wan reference Palpatine as the Emperor (Watching the security tapes) at the same moment Palp's was delcaring the birth of the Empire itself?

That's a good point. My only guess is that the holo of Sidious said something to the effect of "Go and bring peace to the Empire, Lord Vader." Even then, however, Obi-Wan was already moving to switch it off. I think it was just a continuity flub.

Jek Porky 2002
05-26-2005, 08:07 AM
On the subject of Anakin and Padme's ages:

I thought George actually did a good job on that!

Padme was supposed to be 14 in TPM and was played by 15 year old Natalie Hershlag, who maybe looked a little older than her age, but I think that worked, because a young girl who has been brought up in that way would more than likely look older than she is.

By the time AOTC came into production she would have been 18/19, Padme was supposed to be 24, but with Natalie looking so mature, I think she pulled it off.

In ROTS I think she was supposed to be about 26/27, maybe looking slightly young, but I think it works.

As for Anakin, he was 9 in TPM, played by Jake Lloyd, who I think was 8, possibly 9. No problems there...

AOTC, Anakin was supposed to be 19, and was played by 19 year old Hayden Christensen, once again no problems there.

ROTS, needs no explaining, 2-3 years on, 2-3 years older.

That was a good bit of casting and I think the whole relationship works. At first Padme just cared for this young boy who in a way took her back to the childhood, she possibly never really had, she may have found him cute (not in a sexual way) like a little brother or cousin. Anakain obviously did have a crush on her, but I'm sure there are lots of 9 year old boys who have had a crush on a 14 year old girl. So I don't think there is anything disturbing about there early relationship.

Ten years on, when they are finally reunited, Padme is taken aback by how Anakin has changed, and the feelings she has always had for him develop into a different kind of caring (if you know what I mean). And, well, you know the rest...

When I was 19 I had a relationship with a girl of 25, who I had liked for a long time before anything happened, but because of the age gap, it made things more difficult. But the whole Anakin/Padme thing was what actually kept me going!

Devo
05-27-2005, 06:24 PM
Obi-wan "palpatine is evil!!!"

Anakin "from my point of view the jedi are evil!!"

OK? So do you understand kids? See the reason Anakin is going against the jedi is because from his point of view, y'see, the jedi are evil....y'see kids he doesn't know that he is doing bad things because he thinks he's doing good things - do you understand now kids?

For me the worst piece of dialogue in the whole film.

stillakid
05-27-2005, 08:02 PM
Obi-wan "palpatine is evil!!!"

Anakin "from my point of view the jedi are evil!!"

OK? So do you understand kids? See the reason Anakin is going against the jedi is because from his point of view, y'see, the jedi are evil....y'see kids he doesn't know that he is doing bad things because he thinks he's doing good things - do you understand now kids?

For me the worst piece of dialogue in the whole film.

I haven't personally ranked the dialogue, but yeah, this one blows big chunks. I never figured it out except to blame Anakin's bipolarism again. I can't remember, but he either just got done defending the Jedi and how they do good to Palps or he's about to. Yet here he is in this scene tossing out this throwaway nonsensical line about how evil they are. What the.. !? :eek: Would he make up his f'ing mind already. I swear to god. And to know that there are some people out in the world actually defending this crappola. [shaking head in disbelief emoticon]

2-1B
05-28-2005, 05:21 AM
Man, I hear ya, I still can't believe there are people out there actually goofy enough to not understand that the film clearly showed Anakin believing the Jedi to be good, then having doubts as he sees a senior council member about to dispatch a Sith the same way Anakin himself did, knowing it was wrong, and then coming to the realization that there was a plot to remove the Chancellor . . . all the while as that same Chancellor twists the facts to win Anakin over to his side.

So when Anakin says "I should have know the Jedi were planning to take over" and Obi-Wan reacts with "Palpatine is evil" as their excuse and THEN Anakin retorts that he thinks the Jedi are evil, well WHERE OH WHERE did that idea come from ? Yes, the same details I pointed out above.

stillakid, I wouldn't "swear to god" on that, you might embarrass him. ;)

stillakid
05-28-2005, 07:49 AM
Man, I hear ya, I still can't believe there are people out there actually goofy enough to not understand that the film clearly showed Anakin believing the Jedi to be good, then having doubts as he sees a senior council member about to dispatch a Sith the same way Anakin himself did, knowing it was wrong, and then coming to the realization that there was a plot to remove the Chancellor . . . all the while as that same Chancellor twists the facts to win Anakin over to his side.

So when Anakin says "I should have know the Jedi were planning to take over" and Obi-Wan reacts with "Palpatine is evil" as their excuse and THEN Anakin retorts that he thinks the Jedi are evil, well WHERE OH WHERE did that idea come from ? Yes, the same details I pointed out above.

stillakid, I wouldn't "swear to god" on that, you might embarrass him. ;)
Yeah, except that Anakin knows that the Jedi aren't really going to "take over." He believes that the Jedi are for "good" and says so. That line still makes no sense, much like his AOTC line after Padme admonishes him: "I know." This boy flip-flops his statements and opinions more than the Bush Administration. It there is any political parallel b/n this film and real life, maybe this is it. :ermm:

sith_killer_99
05-28-2005, 08:24 AM
Well, we all know that Anakin is a confused individual. :crazed:

I think perhaps at the time when Anakin tells Obi-Wan that the Jedi are evil he is thinking only of saving Padme'. The Sith promise him the power to save the one he loves, while the Jedi, at least Yoda, says, let her die. I know it's kinda simplistic, but that's all I read into it, nothing more.

Devo
05-28-2005, 07:51 PM
I haven't personally ranked the dialogue, but yeah, this one blows big chunks. I never figured it out except to blame Anakin's bipolarism again. I can't remember, but he either just got done defending the Jedi and how they do good to Palps or he's about to. Yet here he is in this scene tossing out this throwaway nonsensical line about how evil they are. What the.. !? :eek: Would he make up his f'ing mind already. I swear to god. And to know that there are some people out in the world actually defending this crappola. [shaking head in disbelief emoticon]

Well the 'where the hell did that come from??!!' aside I found myself shocked at just how 'lay it out for the kids' the line was. Surely there could have been a better retort.

But while we're on "where the hell did that come from?!!" Anakin's line earlier in the film after he helps palpatine defeat Mace Windu - 'what have I done?' complete with expression of facial anguish - nothing wrong with the line...except that Anakin's next piece of dialogue is 'I will do whatever you ask'. If memory serves the next thing he does is go off to the jedi temple to kill all the jedi kiddies. If he has no qualms about killing little kids I don't get why he is struck by guilt after assisting in the death of Mace Windu a few minutes before (possibly what...an hour or so in the events of the film?)......unless its to be supposed that Anakin's thoughts become 'well I've gone this far, theres no way back, might aswell push on'.

Oh and the "I hate you" he shouts at Obi-wan....it really didn't seem like he hated Obi-wan in the beginning of the film or indeed in his very last exchange with Obi-wan before the latter went off to Utapua. Where'd it come from? I'd like to hear people's thoughts on that.

Sith Lord 0498
05-28-2005, 08:56 PM
Well the 'where the hell did that come from??!!' aside I found myself shocked at just how 'lay it out for the kids' the line was. Surely there could have been a better retort.

But while we're on "where the hell did that come from?!!" Anakin's line earlier in the film after he helps palpatine defeat Mace Windu - 'what have I done?' complete with expression of facial anguish - nothing wrong with the line...except that Anakin's next piece of dialogue is 'I will do whatever you ask'. If memory serves the next thing he does is go off to the jedi temple to kill all the jedi kiddies. If he has no qualms about killing little kids I don't get why he is struck by guilt after assisting in the death of Mace Windu a few minutes before (possibly what...an hour or so in the events of the film?)......unless its to be supposed that Anakin's thoughts become 'well I've gone this far, theres no way back, might aswell push on'.

Oh and the "I hate you" he shouts at Obi-wan....it really didn't seem like he hated Obi-wan in the beginning of the film or indeed in his very last exchange with Obi-wan before the latter went off to Utapua. Where'd it come from? I'd like to hear people's thoughts on that.

I think it's meant to show just how warped his mind has become and how impressionable and susceptible to manipulation Anakin is. Once he turned to the Dark Side, it grab ahold of him and kept twisting his mind. You can see it in his face when he's named Darth Vader, when he's killing the Separatists, on the Mustafar balcony, and in his words to Obi-Wan. You can see that he hates himself for doing it but he feels lost and without any choice but to keep going down the hellish path he laid out for himself. While the dialogue may still be lacking in parts, the facial acting gets the point across.

2-1B
05-29-2005, 01:48 AM
stillakid, for someone who claims to be such a talented writer you sure have a knack for taking lines of dialogue from earlier parts in the film where the character was of a particular mindset, and then reapplying them later, out of context, as "proof" of something else. lol I thought you had a better understanding of character development ? lol

Anakin DOES believe the Jedi seek good, as you rightly point out, but you see it is AFTER that point, later on, that he buys into deception which then ALTERS his mindset.

Obi-Wan and Anakin part on good terms, Mace is set up and all that jazz, Palps takes over and Anakin is STILL open to friendship with Kenobi, he even says that he hopes Obi-Wan has remained loyal to the Chancellor and after Padme tells Anakin what Obi told her regarding his actions and the Dark Side, Ani connects the dots and sees that Obi-Wan is not on his side. Verified by Obi-Wan's sneaky appearance on that ramp. After a lengthy fight which ends as Obi-Wan reduces Ani to just a torso, yeah, I can understand why he hates him. :)

Sith Lord 0498
05-29-2005, 09:50 AM
Obi-Wan and Anakin part on good terms, Mace is set up and all that jazz, Palps takes over and Anakin is STILL open to friendship with Kenobi, he even says that he hopes Obi-Wan has remained loyal to the Chancellor and after Padme tells Anakin what Obi told her regarding his actions and the Dark Side, Ani connects the dots and sees that Obi-Wan is not on his side. Verified by Obi-Wan's sneaky appearance on that ramp. After a lengthy fight which ends as Obi-Wan reduces Ani to just a torso, yeah, I can understand why he hates him. :)

Another piece of supporting evidence is that Anakin, after believing Obi-Wan turned Padme against him and knowing Obi-Wan's mission is to destroy him, still warns "Don't make me kill you!" Even then, he is still offering Obi-Wan a chance to leave and never come back. Anakin only moves in for the kill when Obi-Wan makes his choice and ignites his lightsaber.

stillakid
05-29-2005, 09:58 AM
stillakid, for someone who claims to be such a talented writer you sure have a knack for taking lines of dialogue from earlier parts in the film where the character was of a particular mindset, and then reapplying them later, out of context, as "proof" of something else. lol I thought you had a better understanding of character development ? lol

I'm not applying anything out of context. In ROTS, there is no real progression in terms of Anakin's growing discontent with the Jedi or even Obi Wan for that matter. He's just always annoyed at them, yet for no true reason. Whether we're talking about a scene at minute one or at minute 120, Anakin's character is always the exact same...I still have no reason to believe that Anakin believes that the Jedi are evil. Or to believe that he really "hates" Obi Wan. Those are just "clever" retorts with no basis whatsoever laid out in the story. Very similar to the highschool "I love you...no I love you" exchanges between Ani and Padme. Had there been an actual character arc...a progression of events between Anakin and the Jedi and between Anakin and Obi...that indicated that the situation was growing progressively worse, then fine. But as written, that isn't the case. Anakin is still the same ol' whiny brat from AOTC who claims to see the truth in one scene but then turns a 180 in the next if he doesn't get his way. I'm beginning to think that in order to explain his fall to the darkside, we must COMPLETELY hang the reasoning on his AOTC line when he says that he can't be rational.

In broader terms, I suppose that this works if you want it to. But my personal opinion is that this reason is pretty weak. Take a look at Luke and why and how he almost turns. He was extremely rational at every turn and when he beats Vader down, it is for a very understandable reason. In contrast, Anakin slices and dices little kids because of an unsubstantiated dream sequence and the promise (quickly pulled from the table) of being able to save lives. So he wanted to save Padme. Great, but it should have been for a more tangible real reason, just like when Vader threatened to seduce Leia, not some pie-in-the-sky silliness. But that's just the "expert writer" in me. ;)

Devo
05-29-2005, 03:58 PM
I still don't see why he would hate obi-wan. If he offered Obi-wan a chance to leave only moments before the fight that suggests that he has at least some shred of 'liking' for his former master not hatred. The fight, and presumably anakins intention to kill obi-wan then seem more like a reluctant "i'll do it since you leave me no choice" affair...I see no room for hatred there. Someone not being on your side isn't a strong enough reason to hate. I don't hate the original poster just because he's prepared to love unquestionably anything with the name Star Wars on it and I'm not.

Sith Lord 0498
05-29-2005, 05:43 PM
I still don't see why he would hate obi-wan. If he offered Obi-wan a chance to leave only moments before the fight that suggests that he has at least some shred of 'liking' for his former master not hatred. The fight, and presumably anakins intention to kill obi-wan then seem more like a reluctant "i'll do it since you leave me no choice" affair...I see no room for hatred there. Someone not being on your side isn't a strong enough reason to hate. I don't hate the original poster just because he's prepared to love unquestionably anything with the name Star Wars on it and I'm not.

I'm sure it has something to do with Obi-Wan cutting off his limbs and then not helping him--only "lecturing" him once again.

2-1B
05-30-2005, 02:36 AM
I'm beginning to think that in order to explain his fall to the darkside, we must COMPLETELY hang the reasoning on his AOTC line when he says that he can't be rational.

Of course, it's not like you haven't been faulting the whole trilogy based only on 2 movies for the past 3 years so why should the final chapter come along and mess with your facts ? lol

In broader terms, I suppose that this works if you want it to.

Just as I suppose it doesn't work if you don't want it to.

stillakid
05-30-2005, 11:48 AM
Of course, it's not like you haven't been faulting the whole trilogy based only on 2 movies for the past 3 years so why should the final chapter come along and mess with your facts ? lol
The final chapter came along and elaborated on the facts that the Prequels present. These aren't my facts. Don't shoot the messenger. :)

Just as I suppose it doesn't work if you don't want it to.
It's not my responsibility to fill in the blanks for George. If he intends to impart a message or information, then he needs to write it that way instead of relying on the audience to "figure it out" for him. Again, I'm just looking at what's there and what isn't. Don't shoot the messenger. :)

2-1B
05-30-2005, 01:23 PM
Then how am I able to watch the movie and figure it out ? Seemed pretty clear to me. And don't even think it's because I have to rationalize or any of that other junk you use to insult people with.

I come to these forums because I enjoy Star Wars overall (not to say there isn't stuff I don't like about it, so don't try painting me with that brush either) and if I had to actually work to make things fit, I can tell you that I sure as **** wouldn't bother coming here to defend certain parts of this Saga if I didn't actually believe it.

stillakid
05-31-2005, 12:05 AM
Then how am I able to watch the movie and figure it out ? Seemed pretty clear to me. And don't even think it's because I have to rationalize or any of that other junk you use to insult people with.

I come to these forums because I enjoy Star Wars overall (not to say there isn't stuff I don't like about it, so don't try painting me with that brush either) and if I had to actually work to make things fit, I can tell you that I sure as **** wouldn't bother coming here to defend certain parts of this Saga if I didn't actually believe it.

Belief and truth are mutually exclusive. ;)

But I intend no "insult" by suggesting that it takes rationalization to make sense out of these films. I am merely suggesting the process by which some people make such a thing possible. :)

2-1B
05-31-2005, 02:57 AM
It is indeed an insult because it implies that for whatever reason, "we" set out to make sense of these films . . . you might have nothing better to do with your time than to martyr yourself in the interest of pointing out to everybody on the internet why they are Wrong about movies you don't even like in the first place, but I can assure you good sir that I have PLENTY of better things to do than set out to rationalize away the problems of these or any other movies. :)

I post about the films because I like them overall, not out of some need or desire for it to all make sense. :)

Lord Jonny
06-01-2005, 11:20 AM
Why haven't I been here before ... great site! :)

I'm sure I'll get lots of "why even bother watching" responses ... but you have to be honest ... right?

The good part about the sequels IMO is the way the overall pre-New Hope saga fitted together to bring us to that point. The clone wars, the separatists, the senate and republic etc etc etc. The Star Wars saga, now that it has been given some historical context is even richer IMO. I also thought that the cast they got together for the movie was very strong.

However .........

Practically everything else was sub-standard ... and by a long way. The dialogue was absolutely hopeless, the direction was abysmal and static, the special effects sucked (the digital equivilent of 1950's B-movie monsters ... the technology wasn't even close to being ready for what he used it for), the ridiculous unbelievable and pointless alien characters ... how on earth could evolution crete such nonsense ... and whereas the original star wars gets away with it because of the novelty and brilliance of the puppets and settings (hammerhead bloke in the bar anyone?) after 20 years of crappy Star Trek characters and other sci-fi rip offs, no-one with any sense buys into that crap (lame lame lame).

My biggest erk of all with the sequels when I watched them was that I felt I was watching nothing more than a marketing vehicle for LucasEvilEmpire Inc. Every movie seemed to be shaped and moulded around the marketing of the film, and not the film/story/plot/characters. It seemed like a lame computer game ... or a series of lame computer games. Every film had it's Racer game, first person shooter game, space ship blaster game, adventure game, battle game etc etc etc... and lo and behold, for every movie we got a racer game, a first person shooter game.......... it took what should have been the greatest epic in cinema history and turned it into a cheap marketing scam.

The original star wars was based on characters, directors and genres whose influence adds immense depth and authenticity to the story (westerns, samurai movies etc etc). The prequels are based on the marketing success of the original movies, and as such feel very very inauthentic.

The movies should have been character driven and directed at the lame ***** 30 something geeks like myself who grew up loving these films. They would have been just as successful (if not more) at the box office.

---------------------------------

Other specific points not yet mentioned:

1. How did Chewbacca go from being a wookie rebel leader/hero on first name terms with Yoda to being Han Solo's b*tch? Chewbacca should not have been in the prequels!!!!

EDIT: echo the sentiments about Darth Maul ... he was a great character and should have been in the movie much more. The dark side of the force is much more interesting and mysterious ... I would much rather have seen this brought out rather than lame ***** pod races.

Won't go on about Jar Jar ... been said and done a million times (lamest character in cinematic history!). But that said I did like the humourous way Lucas made him the scapegoat in AotC.

JimJamBonds
06-01-2005, 12:36 PM
1. How did Chewbacca go from being a wookie rebel leader/hero on first name terms with Yoda to being Han Solo's b*tch? Chewbacca should not have been in the prequels!!!!

EDIT: echo the sentiments about Darth Maul ... he was a great character and should have been in the movie much more. The dark side of the force is much more interesting and mysterious ... I would much rather have seen this brought out rather than lame ***** pod races.

Won't go on about Jar Jar ... been said and done a million times (lamest character in cinematic history!). But that said I did like the humourous way Lucas made him the scapegoat in AotC.

I liked the amount that Maul was in TPM, personally I don't want every little thing told to me. I look at Maul as eye candy, he's a cool looking bad guy and the mystery around him is perfect. If we know everything about Maul then where is the mystery and interest????

And as far as Chewie goes? I don't recall him being Han's b**ch. I'm fine with him being in E III. And for Jar Jar? Sure he brought it up in the Senate to give Palps emergency powers but Padme is the one that put Palps in the Senate's big boy chair.

Jim Jam

Lord Jonny
06-01-2005, 01:05 PM
I liked the amount that Maul was in TPM, personally I don't want every little thing told to me. I look at Maul as eye candy, he's a cool looking bad guy and the mystery around him is perfect. If we know everything about Maul then where is the mystery and interest????

And as far as Chewie goes? I don't recall him being Han's b**ch. I'm fine with him being in E III. And for Jar Jar? Sure he brought it up in the Senate to give Palps emergency powers but Padme is the one that put Palps in the Senate's big boy chair.

Jim Jam

The point was that there were good things that could have been focused on (Darth Maul being one) rather than having to sit through 2 hours of video game promos.

Chewie was just a wookie who hooked up with a smuggler. Why Lucas felt the need to retrospectively make him a leader of the wookie's I've no idea. Why in the OT movies didn't we see some kind of recognition for the role he previously played ... he was a mate of Yoda's after all. Why? ... because he was just wookie who hooked up with a smuggler.

CaptainSolo1138
06-01-2005, 01:20 PM
The point was that there were good things that could have been focused on (Darth Maul being one) rather than having to sit through 2 hours of video game promos.

Instead, with Maul you got a two hour action figure preview. :rolleyes:

Lord Jonny
06-01-2005, 01:23 PM
Instead, with Maul you got a two hour action figure preview. :rolleyes:

Or a 10 minute snippit of an interesting and undeveloped character ... while in the mean time we get to watch you mate playing his X-Box ... with added corny dialogue.

CaptainSolo1138
06-01-2005, 01:24 PM
... while in the mean time we get to watch you mate playing his X-Box ... with added corny dialogue.
Huh? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Lord Jonny
06-01-2005, 01:40 PM
Huh? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Alluding to a previous post where I claimed that watching the prequels is like watching your mate playing a video game ... naymind.

CaptainSolo1138
06-01-2005, 01:46 PM
Alluding to a previous post where I claimed that watching the prequels is like watching your mate playing a video game ... naymind.
I got it now. Your previous post was sans the 'r' on "your" so it didn't make much sense.

BTW, welcome to the boards.

2-1B
06-01-2005, 01:55 PM
Maybe if Chewie went to Dagobah with Luke he would have gotten some mad love for his role in the Clone Wars but since he didn't, who is going to give him that due ?

JimJamBonds
06-01-2005, 02:01 PM

I've always had the feeling that watching the prequels is like watching a movie.:p

Jim Jam

Lord Jonny
06-01-2005, 02:04 PM
Maybe if Chewie went to Dagobah with Luke he would have gotten some mad love for his role in the Clone Wars but since he didn't, who is going to give him that due ?

Maybe he had a role to play in the Clone wars ... but a wookie leader who happened to be on first name terms with Yoda ... who then hooked up with a smuggler who happened to be the one "rescued" Luke and Obi Wan? How many trillion people are there living in the galaxy ... and these dozen people keep coincidently bumping into each other ... not even a kid could belive that.

It would have made much more sense to leave Chewie out of the prequels.

Lord Jonny
06-01-2005, 02:06 PM
I've always had the feeling that watching the prequels is like watching a movie.:p

Jim Jam

LOL

You'll have to tell me what that's like some day :)

JimJamBonds
06-01-2005, 02:16 PM
Maybe he had a role to play in the Clone wars ... but a wookie leader who happened to be on first name terms with Yoda ... who then hooked up with a smuggler who happened to be the one "rescued" Luke and Obi Wan? How many trillion people are there living in the galaxy ... and these dozen people keep coincidently bumping into each other ... not even a kid could belive that.

It would have made much more sense to leave Chewie out of the prequels.

True the odds are very slim.... I doubt that the person in Utah that won the Powerball lottery the other day had odd's that were all that great either.

Jim Jam

JimJamBonds
06-01-2005, 02:20 PM
LOL

You'll have to tell me what that's like some day :)

Well.... you sit/lay/stand there watching a movie with or without liquids/snacks/food. There might people other people there with you, that you may or maynot know.... there might not be anybody there. The variables are too many to list! lol

Jim Jam (w/ tounge firmly planted in cheek)

Lord Jonny
06-01-2005, 02:33 PM
Well.... you sit/lay/stand there watching a movie with or without liquids/snacks/food. There might people other people there with you, that you may or maynot know.... there might not be anybody there. The variables are too many to list! lol

Jim Jam (w/ tounge firmly planted in cheek)

Hmmm ... so if I follow your instructions The Phantom Menace might actually seem like a movie and not a computer game advertisment? I might give it a try sometime :)

JimJamBonds
06-01-2005, 02:42 PM
Although it helps when you set down the video game controller! lol On a more serious note I've never gotten that feeling from the prequels, but I can see where somebody might think that with all the cg.

tagmac
06-01-2005, 02:57 PM

Um, where did THAT come from? Having Chewie in Ep. III made perfect sense. And since he never interacts with Yoda in the OT, who cares about that point (one could argue that Ben made mention of Yoda when he went up to Chewie in ANH, but that's another story). The clones turning on Kashyyk is the perfect setup for the fact that the wookiees were later made slaves of the Empire, regardless of whether they were generals, soldiers, etc. in the wookiee army.

Chewbacca was rescued by Han Solo, and is obligated to follow him around to fulfill a life debt, basically making him Han's bodyguard for life. However, they are more than that - they are partners and friends. Not once in the OT does Chewbacca come off as being subservient to Han, save for the Detention Block battle, and even that was more like Solo being concerned for Chewie's safety in a high pressure situation rather than him pushing him around.

Lord Jonny
06-01-2005, 03:33 PM
Um, where did THAT come from? Having Chewie in Ep. III made perfect sense. And since he never interacts with Yoda in the OT, who cares about that point (one could argue that Ben made mention of Yoda when he went up to Chewie in ANH, but that's another story). The clones turning on Kashyyk is the perfect setup for the fact that the wookiees were later made slaves of the Empire, regardless of whether they were generals, soldiers, etc. in the wookiee army.

Chewbacca was rescued by Han Solo, and is obligated to follow him around to fulfill a life debt, basically making him Han's bodyguard for life. However, they are more than that - they are partners and friends. Not once in the OT does Chewbacca come off as being subservient to Han, save for the Detention Block battle, and even that was more like Solo being concerned for Chewie's safety in a high pressure situation rather than him pushing him around.

And your point is that it's OK to ply the script with ridiculous coincidences ... it makes perfect sense to you that Chewie is a Wookie leader on first name terms with Yoda, the grand master of the Jedi from another star system (one pressumes), who happens to get enslaved and rescued by Han Solo, who happens to be on Tatooine when Luke and Obi Wan happens to be looking for transport.

Man ... if that makes sense to you, then the prequels must be cinematic masterpieces ... I'll bet you were disappointed none got oscar nominated for best original screenplay.

It makes much more sense to me to see Chewie as a regular garden variety wookie who was the companion of a rogue named Han Solo who was hiding out in the arsse end of nowhere to avoid Jabba or to arrange some shady smuggling deal ... and they were available when Luke and Obi Wan came looking for quick transport off the planet.

JimJamBonds
06-01-2005, 04:01 PM
And your point is that it's OK to ply the script with ridiculous coincidences ... it makes perfect sense to you that Chewie is a Wookie leader on first name terms with Yoda, the grand master of the Jedi from another star system (one pressumes), who happens to get enslaved and rescued by Han Solo, who happens to be on Tatooine when Luke and Obi Wan happens to be looking for transport.

Man ... if that makes sense to you, then the prequels must be cinematic masterpieces ... I'll bet you were disappointed none got oscar nominated for best original screenplay.

It makes much more sense to me to see Chewie as a regular garden variety wookie who was the companion of a rogue named Han Solo who was hiding out in the arsse end of nowhere to avoid Jabba or to arrange some shady smuggling deal ... and they were available when Luke and Obi Wan came looking for quick transport off the planet.

Well how many movies TRULY make sense when you break it down? There has to be some sort of thread that connects the various characters. To use a real life example who'd think that I'd be going back and forth with people from all over the world about Star Wars?

Lord Jonny
06-01-2005, 04:17 PM
Well how many movies TRULY make sense when you break it down? There has to be some sort of thread that connects the various characters. To use a real life example who'd think that I'd be going back and forth with people from all over the world about Star Wars?

Agreed ... but there has to be a limit. The problem with the prequels is that too much air time is given to SFX and CG and other needless stuff that story and plot take a big back seat. As such, everything gets crammed together ... and you end up with ridiculous coincidences and absurdities.

Star Wars and sci-fi in general requires a lot of imagination and playfulness ... but that doesn't mean movie makers should be allowed to get away with plots based on absurdities just because we have to use our imagination. Modern cinema is littered with sci-fi failures for precisely this reason. They have an audience ... they think they can feed them any ole crap and they can make a profit (it's more pronounced in horror .. and the drivel that we see released there every other week).

Good movies have tight plots that don't make you cringe in your seat thinking "now that's just silly" (there have been too many moments like that in the prequels). Even kids don't buy that. There's no excuse for a lot of the errors made in this saga ... heck ... he had 3 moves and about 7 or 8 hours of screen time ... that's plenty of time and space to avoid plot holes and making us suffer stupid needless coincidences.

The Chewbacca thing was just needless.

CaptainSolo1138
06-01-2005, 04:23 PM
making us suffer

#1. Don't say 'us'. You're goin' it alone.
#2. Who made you see the movie?

I'm really getting sick of the haters.....

tagmac
06-01-2005, 04:28 PM
Agreed....it IS getting ridiculous.

Truth is, most fans were thrilled to see Chewie back in, and in a role that was more than just a thrown in cameo. While unfortunately chopped way too short, this was the battle that Endor should have been. In addition, the fact that Chewie went from wookiee leader to a rogue shows just how powerful the Empire was and the effect it had on the leaders of worlds in general - especially non-human ones.

Lord Jonny
06-01-2005, 04:30 PM
#1. Don't say 'us'. You're goin' it alone.
#2. Who made you see the movie?

I'm really getting sick of the haters.....

I thought discussion boards are where you come to express an opinion ... just because mine clearly conflicts with yours shouldn't be a big deal now should it.

I wanted to love all these movies ... what am I gonna do ... kid myself. I spent my childhood playing with star wars toys, and watching the movies, and I'm disappointed that I left the cinema after each prequel either thinking it sucked or shrugging my shoulders in indifference.

The paying public made this movie what it was ... I have the right to voice whatever opinion if I choose ... even if you don't like it.

Lord Jonny
06-01-2005, 04:32 PM
Agreed....it IS getting ridiculous.

Truth is, most fans were thrilled to see Chewie back in, and in a role that was more than just a thrown in cameo. While unfortunately chopped way too short, this was the battle that Endor should have been. In addition, the fact that Chewie went from wookiee leader to a rogue shows just how powerful the Empire was and the effect it had on the leaders of worlds in general - especially non-human ones.

He was only on screen for like 10 seconds lol. Seriously, was it really worth creating a massive plot absurdity for the sake of 10 seconds of screen time.

CaptainSolo1138
06-01-2005, 04:43 PM
He was only on screen for like 10 seconds lol. Seriously, was it really worth creating a massive plot absurdity for the sake of 10 seconds of screen time.
Next time you see it (and I'm sure you will, be it in the theater or on DVD. Either way the big bad man who makes horrible movies still gets your money.) why don't you just get up and skip the awful Kashyyyk scenes? Since it's only, like, 10 seconds anyway what's it gonna hurt? Problem solved :rolleyes:

Aayla Secura got her pointless screen time to appease the fanboys. Why can't Chewie have his. Showing Aayla get killed was pointless. Since we saw her in the arena in Episode II does that make it a coincidence that we also got to see her get whacked?

Slicker
06-01-2005, 04:52 PM
And your point is that it's OK to ply the script with ridiculous coincidences ... it makes perfect sense to you that Chewie is a Wookie leader on first name terms with Yoda, the grand master of the Jedi from another star system (one pressumes), who happens to get enslaved and rescued by Han Solo, who happens to be on Tatooine when Luke and Obi Wan happens to be looking for transport.Believe it or not life is a series of connecting events. Let's see Hitler happened to be born in 1889, then happened to be conscription age during WWI, then just happened to get arrested trying to take over the government, while in prison he happened to write a book that was a blue print for WWII and meet most of the people that would become the Lords of the Third Reich. Boy I guess you're right, that could never have happened to Chewie.:rolleyes:

Lord Jonny
06-01-2005, 06:52 PM
Believe it or not life is a series of connecting events. Let's see Hitler happened to be born in 1889, then happened to be conscription age during WWI, then just happened to get arrested trying to take over the government, while in prison he happened to write a book that was a blue print for WWII and meet most of the people that would become the Lords of the Third Reich. Boy I guess you're right, that could never have happened to Chewie.:rolleyes:

And what is extraordinary about what you just described? Your example is lame.

Lord Jonny
06-01-2005, 06:54 PM
Next time you see it (and I'm sure you will, be it in the theater or on DVD. Either way the big bad man who makes horrible movies still gets your money.) why don't you just get up and skip the awful Kashyyyk scenes? Since it's only, like, 10 seconds anyway what's it gonna hurt? Problem solved :rolleyes:

Aayla Secura got her pointless screen time to appease the fanboys. Why can't Chewie have his. Showing Aayla get killed was pointless. Since we saw her in the arena in Episode II does that make it a coincidence that we also got to see her get whacked?

Uhhh ... I think the thread is called dumbest moments in the prequels ... that was pretty dumb in my opinion ... again sorry my opinion doesn't seem to correlate with yours ... but I guess that's the way it goes sometimes.

JimJamBonds
06-02-2005, 12:39 AM
And what is extraordinary about what you just described? Your example is lame.

That some nobody from Austria could go on and kill countless MILLIONS of people generally people wouldn't expect that from a person with Hitler's background. BUT various things happened and here he was in power. Now put in the Star Wars world who'da thunk it that some slave boy from a backwater planet would go on to become the personification of evil???. I think the example was far from lame.

Jim Jam

CaptainSolo1138
06-02-2005, 12:48 AM
Uhhh ... that was pretty dumb
Good one :rolleyes:. I can only hope all your retorts are so deep.

2-1B
06-02-2005, 03:36 AM

Oh it's definitely a coinkydink so I can't argue with you on that. :)

Obvious coincidence aside, I kind of liked the idea that since Chewie has a familiarity with the Jedi he was able to hook up with Ben . . . you know, for awhile before ROTS I thought maybe Ben would have a scene with Chewie thus explaining that he "knew" the Wookie from long ago.

But as it is now, it's just coincidence, I guess. :bored:

BobaFett
06-03-2005, 01:37 PM
Lucas had probably put Chewie in the movie, for the same reasons he put Jango in ATOC. He saw that there was many fans from the old trilogy for these characters, and connected it with the prequels. I bet hardcore chewie fans were happy to see him in the movie. Just as hard core Fett fans loved seeing Boba in ATOC.

Worst Moment in the prequels: when Lucas to decided to put 3PO as the comic relief.

Hellboy
06-03-2005, 06:35 PM
The dumbest moment in the prequels for myself is the exchange between Anakin and Padme during their fireside chat. The "I can't breathe" line makes me cringe every time I hear it. Pure cheese, but since people say things of this nature in everyday life I've come to except it. I just thought the dialog could have been written so much better in that scene, especially when you consider we're supposed to take their comments seriously.

MaquisWarrior
06-03-2005, 07:03 PM
This thread!
No seriously, the part where Sleazobaggo and Obi-wan are exchanging dialog and Obi-Wan uses the force to make Sleazobaggo dance to this www.hampsterdance.com (http://www.hampsterdance.com) !!