PDA

View Full Version : Skywalker and Kenobi - my favorite movie duo of all time !

2-1B
05-21-2005, 02:46 AM
I already loved these guys in Attack of the Clones as they had several classic moments together but in Revenge of the Sith they really outdo themselves in terms of humor and swagger !

A list of my favorite moments between the two of them, and forgive me for the inevitable misquotes. I've only seen the movie 3 times so far. :)

-Anakin smiling and saying "this is where the fun begins."

-Anakin wanting to go back and help the other pilots while Obi-Wan reigns him in about how they are doing their job so the Jedi can do theirs.

-Anakin refusing to go on without Obi-Wan when his friend gets covered in buzz droids.

-Anakin shooting off Kenobi's wing and then saying "I agree, bad idea."

-Obi-Wan screaming at Anakin, "have you noticed the shield is still up ?!?"

-Obi-Wan telling Anakin that they are walking into a trap, Anakin asking what the next move is, and Obi-Wan answering with a smile "spring the trap."

-Obi-Wan asking Anakin if he stopped the elevator and Anakin replying by asking if Obi-Wan did it.

-Anakin cutting a hole in the elevator ceiling, jumping through it, and Obi-Wan cracking "always on the move."

-Obi-Wan starting to explain the gaffe as being Artoo's fault when Anakin cuts him off in defense saying "ahh ah, no loose wire jokes." and then later adding that Artoo is trying.

-Obi-Wan telling Anakin that they will take Dooku together this time and Anakin replying "I was going to say that."

-In reply to Grievous busting Ani's balls about his youth, he says "General Grievous, you're shorter than I expected." and Obi-Wan piling on with "Anakin we have a job to do, try not to upset him."

-Anakin saying Obi-Wan's fate will be "the same as ours" when Palpatine wants to leave Kenobi for dead.

-Obi-Wan waking up in the elevator shaft on Anakin's back, then Anakin telling him "we're in a situation here."

-Obi-Wan telling Anakin "we still have half a ship" while Anakin is trying to save the landing.

-the entire "Poster Boy" scene after they arrive at the Senate via airbus, that whole exchange was awesome and the comments back and forth were great. Anakin saving Obi's skin for the 10th time but then being corrected that it was only the 9th because that business on Cato Neimodia didn't count.

-The discussion between them after the Council accepts Ani's suspicious appointment to the Council. I really felt for Kenobi and how torn he was, saying he was on Anakin's side and didn't want him to get involved. Then clarifying that "The Council" was asking that of Anakin and not Obi-Wan himself.

-Their last friendly discussion as Obers leaves for Utapau. Anakin's apology and Obi-Wan's speech is so reminding of Obi's apology and Qui-Gonn's speech in TPM. The goodbyes and "May the Force Be With You" were very touching.

-After Anakin becomes Darth Vader there is some great stuff between them before and after the duel. As Kenobi stands on the ramp of Padme's ship, Anakin's "you will not take her from meeeeeeeee" was so creepy and chilling. Kenobi chatting things up a bit but then saying, resolved, "I will do what I must" and Anakin's reply of "you will try" ooooooh did that ever get me as well. Also, the talk about the Republic vs. the Empire was outstanding.

-Obi-Wan telling Vader that he has the high ground, it's over, don't even try it, because obviously Obi-Wan knows that Ani/Vader is going to go for it anyway and that's how he takes him out.

-The entire "You were the chosen one" segment, was that ever incredible. Chilling, just chilling for me. "I loved you like a brother." Powerful stuff.

That's all I can come up with for now, but I'm seeing the new Star Wars again on Saturday and Sunday so I will add whatever I missed / forgot later.

I said they are now my favorite onscreen duo of all time, so just for reference I will say that some of my other favorites are

-Han Solo and Luke Skywalker from Star Wars 4 thru 6
-Peter and Roger from Dawn of the Dead (1978)
-The Dude and Walter Sobchak from The Big Lebowski

darthvyn
05-21-2005, 02:18 PM
yeah, in AOtC, they did a good job of the overbearing father and the underappreciative son, but in this movie they really did an outstanding job of the war-buddy bond and the master/apprentice relationship that was given a good first-run between qui-gon and obi-wan... i thought their relationship was great in tPM...

it was necessary to hit their friendship just right in order to make it all the more heart-wrenching when anakin falls. like i said in the "so what did you think" thread, i felt the best read line in all of movie history was

"you were the chosen one!!!"

JEDIpartner
05-21-2005, 07:37 PM
I have to agree with you. Obi-Wan was usually the humourous counterpoint to Anakin's usually "too serious" demeanor.

I really liked Obi-Wan's "Another happy landing!" line as Anakin huffs away the tension from landing the remains of the Invisible Hand.

InsaneJediGirl
05-21-2005, 10:55 PM
I really liked Obi-Wan's "Another happy landing!" line as Anakin huffs away the tension from landing the remains of the Invisible Hand.

Thought that was one of the best Anakin/Obi-Wan exchanges in the movie.I'm glad to see the acting came more natural and there was a good chemistry on the screen. Really got to you at the end,knowing Obi-Wan had to leave Anakin because of what he had become.

Turbowars
05-22-2005, 12:03 AM
Yeah they did great together, but damn Obi is the man! In my opinion he is the best well trained Jedi of them all. He just showed way more intelligence than the others. My respect for the character is much higher now. Seems as if Obi should had be the chosen one. Annie was just too weak for the job and too bad the dark side clouded little Yodas visions.

2-1B
06-14-2005, 01:55 PM
Good one, JP ! I like that one too, it makes me want to watch another line of movies where we get to see their adventures (maybe in the Outer Rim sieges?) and see Anakin land more ships in dramatic fashion. :)

Something Darth Quack mentioned in another thread recently that I should have included here originally:

The whole Ray Shields thing. I loved it. :) I love how Anakin wisely suggests patience, Obi-Wan lets him explain why, because Artoo will be along any moment, and then Zooooom here he comes ! lol After Artoo crashes into the wall Anakin says, "see? no problem."

:)

edit: that looks funny since I capitalized Ray Shields, like it's a dude or something . . . I think he was the captain of the Invisible Hand.

That's it, Captain Raymond J. Shields of the Trade Federation.

JimJamBonds
06-14-2005, 03:05 PM
[QUOTE=Caesar]The whole Ray Shields thing. I loved it. :) I love how Anakin wisely suggests patience, Obi-Wan lets him explain why, because Artoo will be along any moment, and then Zooooom here he comes ! lol After Artoo crashes into the wall Anakin says, "see? no problem."

:)QUOTE]

I like the idea that Anakin suggests patience which would be the opposite of his shoot first, shoot second, shoot some more and then maybe ask questions mentality. Also the R2 comment and then we see him zooming into the picture along with those droids etc was great along with "do you have a plan B?" ;) The one part of that whole exchange I didn't like was Obi's "Wait a minute, we're smarter then this." line it was...... well weak at best imho and could have been cleaned up a bit.

Jim Jam

JetsAndHeels
06-14-2005, 03:12 PM
One of my favorite lines Obi tells Anakin, just before they begin to duel on Mustafar:
"You have allowed this Dark Lord to twist your mind until now...now you have become the very thing you swore to destroy."

I don't know what it is about this line, I just love it. I first saw it in early May when I was playing the ROTS video game and ever since then its been one of my favorites.

JimJamBonds
06-14-2005, 03:22 PM
One of my favorite lines Obi tells Anakin, just before they begin to duel on Mustafar:
"You have allowed this Dark Lord to twist your mind until now...now you have become the very thing you swore to destroy."

I don't know what it is about this line, I just love it. I first saw it in early May when I was playing the ROTS video game and ever since then its been one of my favorites.

Good call thats a great one! Its a nice and ironic statement that sums up everything in a few simple words.

Other fav. duo's
- Han and Luke
- Nigel Tuffnel and David St. Hubbins from This is Spinal Tap
- Mike and Trent from Swingers
- Major Richard Winters and Captain Lewis Nixon from Band of Brothers

Jim Jam

Kidhuman
06-15-2005, 01:18 AM
Without a doubt the modern day Abot and COstello. They were great in this movie. Out did AOTC IMO

2-1B
06-15-2005, 02:29 AM
- Nigel Tuffnel and David St. Hubbins from This is Spinal Tap

A fine choice, of course, but I would hesitate just because I fear excluding Derek Smalls. Of course, Derek doesn't go back as far as David and Nigel so your point is still valid in my eyes. Kind of like choosing Ron Burgundy and Champ Kind while leaving out Brick Tambland.

The whole "We're smarter than this" and "apparently not" exchange is one of the not-as-good ones, I agree.

"Plan B," however, was a chuckler. lol

PloKoon2385
06-15-2005, 02:42 AM
I was just telling my friend the other day about what was wrong with Episode II (Well, one of the things). They didn't show the bond between Anakin and Obi-Wan. Sure, they tried to TELL you of their bond (Anakin saying to Padme that Obi-Wan is like a father to him), but they did not show it very well. Episode III really showcased their bond. You could see the chemistry between them. It was brilliant.

2-1B
06-15-2005, 02:25 PM
Plo, I just made this post in another thread and after reading your thoughts here I would say pretty much the same as in my other post, so I'll copy it here. :D

The opening crawl refers to them as two Jedi Knights which shows that Anakin has been Knighted and is no longer a Padawan. :)

And no, I didn't need some goofy Clone Wars cartoon to show me that. :crazed:

The progression from their contentious master-student relationship is a natural one into their friendship in ROTS and the fact that they're friendship is able to break down in ROTS, well you can look back to AOTC and see that while there was a bond, it wasn't concrete. :(

Darth Spectre
06-19-2005, 03:37 AM
I thought their relationship was handled very well in this movie. I enjoyed their banter and I especially was glad Anakin mentioned how he felt he hadn't been particularly appreciative of the training Obi gave him, that whole exhange. It was good to see, that deep down, Anakin really knew Obi-Wan had his best interests at heart and did not fail him.

I actually liked the "We're smarter than this" exchange. It just wasn't timed well in the movie. It should be a line that gets laughs, but it doesn't how it is used. Unlike Yoda wiping out the Royal Guards, which always gets laughs in the theatre.

Elliejabbapop
06-19-2005, 07:38 AM
This aspect was probably the best in the movie, I agree with all your statements.
I thought an interesting thing about this one was that when Anakin turns Obi-Wan's only connection with him is Padme, the only one who feels the same pain. I thought the scene in which he tells her Ani has turned to the dark side is heart wrecking. I think it's interesting since Anakin had always tried to keep Padme far from everything else (remember the "we don't need his help" line?). When Padme is nearly killed by Darth Vader there is no "bridge" between the two anymore, only a gap.